April 19, 2024, 01:25:30 pm

News:

When's the last time you said "I love you" to a friend!?

CHICAGO residents

Started by iceh2o, June 09, 2006, 08:21:51 am

Previous topic - Next topic

iceh2o

As you all know, Ozma is coming to Chicago with The Rentals on August 1st 2006 and they will be performing at Double Door. It's a pretty well-known venue...but I've never been there before and I am underage. I'm 20...sad. I was just curious to see if anyone here has been there before... Are they really strict about letting people in? I'm sure they will card you...but if I get an ID that looks similar to me...do u think it'll be okay? It would suck if I go there all excited and pumped up..and then... the man doesn't let me in. :(

Brady

I've noticed quite a few of the Venues they're playing on this tour are 21+...I'm 21, but I still find that annoying.  I'm still waiting to find out where exactly they are playing in Milwaukee on the 2nd of August.  I'm guessing it will be at The Rave (www.therave.com)..hoping it will be there actually just to confirm that my little brother can go with since Teh Rave is usually always *All Ages*.  Anyway...do what you gotta do man, or make the 4-5 hour trip north to Milwaukee  :-\

CT-700

I am pretty noobish when it comes to these things, but if I have a parent take me (I'm 16) can I still get in? I know its a ridiculously stupid question, but I am going to Chicago for vacation that week, and this would be my first Ozma show (finally!).

Brady

Quote from: CT-700 on June 27, 2006, 04:48:46 pm
I am pretty noobish when it comes to these things, but if I have a parent take me (I'm 16) can I still get in? I know its a ridiculously stupid question, but I am going to Chicago for vacation that week, and this would be my first Ozma show (finally!).
I would think that would be a possibility, call and ask for sure.  And if they say no, get a couple tickets and try anyway (if you got some cash to spare)  :-\

CT-700

Yeah supposedly tickets are only $17, so I should probably do that.

Brady

Yea..well..my tickets were $15 a pop - plus service fees and whatnot, came to like $66.46 for 3 tickets, so around $22 each.

Ade

I've been there, and they suck about it. Pretty much all chicago venues suck about it. Once, I was on the list AND the band came out and lied that I was part of the band and they STILL wouldn't let me in. They def. won't let you in with your mom.

My suggestion would be to go to the all ages Pabst Theatre in Milwaukee on August 2. If anyone really needs a ride from Chi town, give me a call and I'll see what I can do (for gas money, bitches).

Brady

Quote from: Ade on June 29, 2006, 09:46:32 am
I've been there, and they suck about it. Pretty much all chicago venues suck about it. Once, I was on the list AND the band came out and lied that I was part of the band and they STILL wouldn't let me in. They def. won't let you in with your mom.

My suggestion would be to go to the all ages Pabst Theatre in Milwaukee on August 2. If anyone really needs a ride from Chi town, give me a call and I'll see what I can do (for gas money, bitches).

If you're going to the Pabst, I'll see you there.  :D

CT-700

June 30, 2006, 07:29:09 pm #8 Last Edit: June 30, 2006, 07:30:37 pm by CT-700
I can't go to the WI show, because I am from Pittsburgh, and I am only going to be in Chicago because I am on vacation. Thanks for the offer though.

billy

i'll see the chicagoans there tommorrow! >_<

few things that i'm too lazy to research, but want to know:

setlist update?
new songs/song they play?
best song the rentals play?
merch: shirts,vinyls..?

<3

billy

just got back from Double Door in Chicago, couldn't stay for The Rentals :<

concert was great and it was fun to see them all rocking out again.  but it was so fucking hot.

also, i saw a lot of asian people there which was cool.  and my friend gave me the setlist which he took. 

overall, awesome night.  venue sucked donkey nuts...

Brady

R.J.

"setlist update?
new songs/song they play?
best song the rentals play?
merch: shirts,vinyls..?"

The setlist seemed short to me but that's what happens when you're the opening band. They opened with Natalie Portman, closed with Battlescars and Rocks. In between off the top of my head were Spending Time, Domino Effect, Eponine, Utsukushii Shibuya, Wake Up (w/ Rachel Haden), Korobeiniki, and Kid Icarus.

Kid Icarus, if I guessed the title right, was the only new song they played. It was, however, very good.

Merchandising: They have 3 new shirts which might have been mentioned. They all look pretty good and made me wish I had a job to buy them.

The Rentals: I had to get the hell out of the heat, but they sounded really good. I'm not crazy about Matt Sharp's voice, but their opener (Move On) was a good one and I've read they close with "Friends of P," which is their most popular and "best" song. Ryen was on stage with them for as long as I stayed.

I actually thought the venue was a good one to see a show at, but I know everyone was sweating their proverbial nuts off. This is what happens when it's 97 degrees for 3 days straight, I believe.

Ozma sounded really, really, really good. The last time I caught them was with Rooney, shortly before the "end", and they sounded much better this time around - even with the scorching heat bringing them down. Ken the new Drummer sounded good. Star could have been turned up a smidge (it looked like there were a couple issues with her stuff). My only complaint was the absence of a few songs I'd like to hear (Baseball, Restart, etc.) but the setlist was great as it is, so if anyone is debating as to whether or not to make a trip to a nearby Ozma show, you should definitely go.