April 17, 2024, 11:27:32 pm

News:

When's the last time you said "I love you" to a friend!?

"Lost" - Daniel Brummel

Started by I Like Ozma, October 30, 2007, 11:25:34 am

Previous topic - Next topic

I Like Ozma

October 30, 2007, 11:25:34 am Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 11:50:36 am by I LOVE Ozma
I know we have talked about this song in another thread, but i was wondering if anyone could transcribe it. i would really like to learn this song on guitar. its so so so so so so so so beautiful. and if any of you have not listened to it, i suggest you doing so.

the "oh, why'd you have to go, why'd you have to go, ah well its all right i think i know" is just so great. i cannot wait for the actual release of it.
Quote from: Elliott on December 09, 2006, 03:02:12 pm
Good point, too bad theyre gonna criticize you now.

brad

October 30, 2007, 07:21:10 pm #1 Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 07:49:18 pm by brad
I've started to try to figure out the chords.   Just so you know its tuned down a WHOLE step, not a half step as usual.

Here's one verse so far: (not much, but its a start lol)   (also, some of this isnt exactly how he plays it, most of this is just putting chords to the melody)

D               (figure)  D
Lost without your love

figure refers to:

-3-
-3-
-2-
-0-
-0-
-0-
                   (E)          (E7)             --- not exactly right but sound good
I wish I could holdddddd you

-0-
-3-
-1-
-2-
-0-

(figure)      A
Scolddddddd you

(figure)

-2-
-2-
-2-
-2-       
-0-
-0-

D                       A7
For leaving me, and then laugh it off

I Like Ozma

cool thanks, are you working on the rest or do you just repeat it?

Brent

Hey,

I haven't been on the board in ages...but I recently just heard this song and I have to agree that it is awesome.  Definitely one of Dan's best works.

brad is on the right track, but harmonically this song is a lot more advanced than just simple major and minor triads (Dan always manages to display his harmonic knowledge and sophistication in his tunes...unfortunately makes the transcription part a lot more difficult, especially if you are trying to find the exact voicings that he is using).  From the first two listens, I can heard the basic harmonic outline of each section, but I'll have to sit down with a guitar to actually figure out the voicings and details.  Unfortunately, I have a hefty composition assignment, not to mention a lengthy exam on modal counterpoint, to finish this week.  But if you can be patient, I can get you a tab of this tune sometime this weekend if no one has tabbed it out yet.

Take care,
-Brent

Zombie Don Ho

October 31, 2007, 08:03:42 pm #4 Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 09:39:27 pm by Zombie Don Ho
it's really not that complicated; it's almost all open position chords. (and it's in C, not D...)

C/G  : 332010
F/C  : x33211
Dsus4: xx0233
Dm   : xx0231
G5   : 3x0033
G13  : 323000
C7   : x32310
D7   : xx0212
Em   : 022000
D#o7 : xx1212
Dm5th: x57765

C/G          F/C  C/G             
   lost without your love
                  Dsus4  Dm
   i wish i could hold   you
   Dsus4 G5              C/G
   scold you for leaving me
                     G13
   and then laugh it off

C/G     F/C  C/G
   oh so many   things
                  Dsus4  Dm
   i wish i could tell   you
                   Dsus4  G5
   i'm wishing you well,  too
G13             C/G
   wherever you are
          C7
   anywhere you are

F/C             D7
   all mixed up in pain and pleasure
   F/C              D7
   brace myself for stormy weather

C/G  Em                    C/G
   oh,      why'd you have to go?
Em           D#o7    Dm (5th fret)
   why'd you have to go?

G13
   ah well, it's alright
             C/G
   i think i know

edit: technically, that's a D#o7, huh...

Steveguy

Thanks for the post! Can you transcribe Rose Parade? Please? I'll forever be in your debt! ;D

Zombie Don Ho

that's a slightly more difficult tune to figure out... I actually planned on transcribing that (in powertab, mind you, not plain text), but the mp3 on myspace always cuts off before the song ends for me. has anyone been able to get it to play all the way through, or did Dan just upload a bad file?

Джесси

ТолÃ'Å'ко гÃ'â,¬Ã'Ð´Ã'Æ'Ã'‰ÐµÐµ - облаÃ'Ã'‚Ã'Å' поÃ'Ã'‚а.

I Like Ozma

Brent

awesome tab.  and nice job with all the voicings.  simple song to play, but lots of cool harmonic things happening.  that Ebo7 (D#o7) is particularly an interesting one.

anyways...thanks for the tab!

Cantinflas Jim

where can I get ahold of this song ???

Джесси

ТолÃ'Å'ко гÃ'â,¬Ã'Ð´Ã'Æ'Ã'‰ÐµÐµ - облаÃ'Ã'‚Ã'Å' поÃ'Ã'‚а.

Rome

I don't think this song is that great.

sorry.

heysarahsarah

Why not, Rome?

I'm all for disagreeing, but I kinda want to understand your objection with it.
Bob511i: But SARAH is my <3

No day but today.

Rome

The vocal effects don't strike my fancy.
I really like the chord progression, but the melody he's singing doesn't compliment it in any sort of interesting way (save the "anywhere you are" part). It just sounds a little too bland for my taste.

I Like Ozma

i think i can see what you are saying, i guess different strokes for different folks.

i think the guitar is a little too similar to that of "i wonder" but they are both two beautiful songs so it doesnt matter, and i guess you could say that its just a style of playing.

Rome

I like "i wonder", if you know, you guys care...

heysarahsarah

Ahh.  I understand, I just don't agree.  I find Dan's vocals here a rare and haunting combination of warm, sensual, vulnerable and just teetering on imperfect.  It's hard to explain.  It's like he purposefully sings with an edge of raw so it does not sound overly pretty.  To be fair, that is his general sound when doing most of his solo work, but I'm just stating why I enjoy this particular style of song, which is indeed different from how he generally sings with Ozma

It's the same quality of vocal that I find attractive in much of Neko Case's solo work.  Particularly, her live performance of "Favorite":

http://youtube.com/watch?v=SyZJnX-BnPY
Bob511i: But SARAH is my <3

No day but today.