April 15, 2024, 10:27:58 pm

News:

Sometimes it burns when I pee....

...hey sorry...

Started by ozma_is_cool_to_me, December 21, 2009, 10:27:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ozma_is_cool_to_me

Hey Guys! well, i just became an Ozma fan from a few songs like Apple Trees, Domino effect, spending time, and I REALLY dig it, so is  there any way y'all could give  me some general info on this awesome band. Like, best songs/albums. Kind of like a way for me to just jump into this band! :) uhh okay then that is all :)
We've made a liar of desire.

sierra

December 22, 2009, 05:47:30 am #1 Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 05:49:18 am by sierra
Hey dude! Uhhhhh I personally enjoy all of their albums, but Rock and Roll Part 3 and Spending Time On The Borderline are their two must have starters, I think. I have a lot of favorite songs by them, but I LOVE their love type songs the best like battlescars, continental drift, rain of the golden gorilla, natalie portman, immigration song ...they have a lot. <3 My first favorite ozma song was game over though, listen to dat one.
cant be explained through common sense,
takes a firm background in remembering

I Like Ozma

It seems that an ozma cycle generally goes (and to all those {not jason, TOM} who this didnt happen to, dont start dissin a brotha) Discovering the awesomeness of RRP3, then moving on to Spending Time On The Borderline, and usually Doubble Donkey Disk goes last (since pasadena was created later its hard to say). So basically thats how I suggest listening to them. DDD can seem a little weird at first but for a lot of people it ends up being their favorite album (not me personally). My fav has to be either RRP3 or Pasadena at the moment.

Plus, Ozma owns Weezer.
Quote from: Elliott on December 09, 2006, 03:02:12 pm
Good point, too bad theyre gonna criticize you now.

ozma_is_cool_to_me

December 22, 2009, 09:02:36 am #3 Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 09:06:21 am by ozma_is_cool_to_me
Thanks guys! (sorry for being such a noob!) and HEY! haha i love me some Weezer! (if you couldn't tell from my avatar...and my litttle quote thing is a quote from one of there songs!) Nothing could ever make them not be my most favorite band of all time! <3 Even if some of there new shit sucks, they make up for it in hundreds of Samuel unreleased songs! Anyway, thanks for helping me out. I'm pretty much completely obsessed with the song "Domino Effect"! which album is that off of? Because, I think i want to start listening to this band with an album that has that magnificently wonderful piece of art we call a song! Uhhhh...and also i was checking out the discography (on this website) and they said that many of the albums were out of print...? might one know where i would get them then... Well, Thanks again! :)

Oatmeal

December 22, 2009, 09:22:00 am #4 Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 09:26:14 am by oatmeal
Greetings, :)

Maybe I am being being biased because the Double Donkey Disk was my first ozma album, but I suggest that (DDD) as the first ozma album because it is a happy medium between the rock and roll part three and spending time. But if not, try rock and roll part three first. Thats a good one to start off with. Plus domino effect is off of that album(RRP3).

I suggest listening to Pasadena last. You said nothing can take Weezer away from being your favorite band. I at one time felt that way too. Until I discovered ozma. :)

Enjoy ozma.
Quote from: antiuser on December 09, 2007, 11:35:30 am
There aren't many bands out there that treat their fans like Ozma does.
http://oatmealmp3blog.blogspot.com/

I Like Ozma

Yeah, I think pretty much almost everyone here got into Ozma because of Weezer, and their love for Weezer. Just over time you see Ozma's brilliance over Weezers. The song that got me into ozma is a song called "Natalie Portman" from RRP3, so I got into that album first, and it is wonderful.

Oatmeal

Battlescars got numerous people that I know, to like ozma

ozma_is_cool_to_me

well gee thanks guys! you all are ver helpful! rock and roll part 3, pasadena, and double donkey disc... haha i guess I'll start off with those...and who knows maybe they will be my new favorite band, if they are then so be it! :)

noonchild

Check out the song LORRAINE which is not on any of the previously mentioned albums.
The light cast dark shadows all around me

ozma_is_cool_to_me

December 22, 2009, 05:56:27 pm #9 Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 05:59:58 pm by ozma_is_cool_to_me
 :-[ *sigh* this is very frustrating, because I'm very anxious to hear all the songs you guys suggested, but i can't find ANY of them on youtube! there are some...but not all. Like, noonchild, i can't find Lorraine anywhere! bleh. ....uhhh stupid question: is ozma a really popular band or no...are they one of those really elusive bands?

ozma_is_cool_to_me

lol so i found this random website where they have a whole bunch of ozma songs, adn this is what they are...
1. Ozma - Lorraine mp3
2. Ozma - ozma - denise mp3
3. Ozma - Battlescars mp3
4. Ozma - Rocks mp3
5. Ozma - Continental Drift mp3
6. Ozma - Game Over mp3
7. Ozma - Utsukushii Shibuya [J-Wave, Japanese Translation, Acoustic] mp3
8. Ozma - Spending Time mp3
9. Ozma - Baseball mp3
10. Ozma - Wake Up mp3
11. Ozma - No One Needs to Know mp3
12. Ozma - Korobeiniki mp3
13. Ozma - Crazy Summer Mix mp3
14. Ozma - Iceland mp3
15. Ozma - Denise mp3
16. Ozma - Rain Of The Golden Gorilla mp3
17. Ozma - Domino Effect mp3
18. Ozma - Superstar mp3
19. Ozma - Flight Of Yuri Gagarin mp3
20. Ozma - Los Angeles mp3

are these right? lol like are these actual ozma songs or am i getting some random ass fake songs?

Джесси

Those are all Ozma songs, though I'm not sure what "Crazy Summer Mix" and "Superstar" are.

Spending Time on the Borderline is my favorite Ozma album. Before Pasadena was released, I listened to the albums in reverse chronological order.
ТолÃ'Å'ко гÃ'â,¬Ã'Ð´Ã'Æ'Ã'‰ÐµÐµ - облаÃ'Ã'‚Ã'Å' поÃ'Ã'‚а.

Oatmeal

December 22, 2009, 07:08:22 pm #12 Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 07:15:21 pm by oatmeal
"Superstar" is a live recording of Ozma covering Superstar, by the Carpenters.

ozma_is_cool_to_me

Quote from: oatmeal on December 22, 2009, 07:08:22 pm
"Superstar" is a live recording of Ozma covering Superstar, by the Carpenters.

yeah, Battlescars totally fucking pwns btw.

I Like Ozma

If you go here- http://www.ozmafansforum.com/index.php/topic,1528.0.html

Then you can get pretty much any ozma song thats not on an album. theyre not usually AS good as the album songs but some are even better! I suggest you listen to "rain of the golden gorilla" or is it "reign"? im still not sure if thats been settled...

noonchild

The light cast dark shadows all around me

Kyosho

Maybe I'm just a stickler for order (I am), but I really think you should listen to the albums in order. Rock & Roll Part 3, then Doubble Donkey Disc, then Spending Time on the Borderline. Then Pasadena. But don't do them all at once. Listen to RRP3 a few times, maybe a lot of times, then go to DDD and listen to that a lot, etc. Feel free to skip anything you don't like. You'll get a much better feel for the band if you take your time and listen to their albums in order to see how they've progressed.
I'll be rising high above the earth so soon, and the tears I cry might turn into the rain that gently falls upon your window. You'll never know.

Rome

i like that idea better as well

Not Jason

I think that "Rock and Roll Part Three" is the best jumping off point.  It has Ozma at what I think of as their quintessential sound.  Everything else, in my opinion, can be thought of in terms of the ways in which it departs from the sound of RRP3.  I think Pasadena had some key weak points on it, but the rest of their catalog is on fairly equal footing, all things considered.
You and I were the extremities
I am the baseball.

The Other Mike

It baffles me that there are new weezer fans. Like, did you hear Beverly Hills and think "I gotta hear more from these guys!"? I'm not trying to be condescending or anything, I'm just really curious how it happens. At this point they seem bad in such a way that wouldn't appeal to any particular demographic.
blackjack1084 (11:02:36 PM): eat my ass
blackjack1084 (11:02:38 PM): and get a life

www.myspace.com/therattlesnakes

I Like Ozma

Beverly hills is old news dude.

Jordan

Quote from: The Other Mike on February 02, 2010, 03:33:24 am
It baffles me that there are new weezer fans. Like, did you hear Beverly Hills and think "I gotta hear more from these guys!"? I'm not trying to be condescending or anything, I'm just really curious how it happens. At this point they seem bad in such a way that wouldn't appeal to any particular demographic.

My guess is they probably heard a song from the Blue album or Pinkerton and that got them hooked.

-Jordan :)
you're as cold as ice.

Oatmeal

February 05, 2010, 12:40:26 am #22 Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 12:43:15 am by oatmeal
Radio stations do seem to continue to play Say It Ain't So and Buddy Holly

I I think that say it aint so was  my first weezer song that I really got into.  That was before I knew who that band was, and this was during the green album era. I would hear it on the radio.

Not Jason

They're probably just buying Windows 95 computers.
You and I were the extremities
I am the baseball.

Jordan

Quote from: Not Jason on February 05, 2010, 05:02:13 pm
They're probably just buying Windows 95 computers.

LOL, that's actually how I first heard Weezer. It was a snow day back in like 5th or 6th grade. I was bored and popped in the Windows 95 CD and found the music video for "Buddy Holly." I actually thought it was a clip from Happy Days and spent a few weeks watching Happy Days episodes on Nick at Nite trying to find the episode with the song. One day I finally saw episode with Fonzi doing the Russian dance and it wasn't to "Buddy Holly" and I realized it was a music video made from clips of the TV show. Fast forward a few years, I download the Blue Album one day after remembering how awesome "Buddy Holly" was.

-Jordan :)
you're as cold as ice.

Mackintosh

Well. It's me again except under a new username because i forgot my old one. I got Rock and Roll Part Three, Double Donkey Disc, and Spending Time On The Borderline. :D MY favorite song is Continental Drift. Shooting Stars  is way up there, Natalie Portman is way up there, and I love Wake Up!!

Oatmeal

Yup, those are some of their very best songs in my opinion. :) In addition to restart, your name and I wonder.

Kyosho

What, no Battlescars?  :o
I'll be rising high above the earth so soon, and the tears I cry might turn into the rain that gently falls upon your window. You'll never know.

Mackintosh

ACTUALLY, YES! :D Restart is completely Samuel. I gather it's about suicide. UGh I love it. It reminds me of Fight Club! :D And I adore the lyric: "Stuck in a square, becoming one too." I love the illusion to the office life/work thing. *sigh it's marvelous. Like the cubicle is his life! And he's wasting it. He's just ebcoming a square. Sorry for rambling, but that is one of my absolute favorites!

Battlescars: DUDE. FUCKING EPICZOMG SO AWESOME. I can't even fathom it. Upon first listen I was so freaking stunned. It was beautiful. It's so peaceful, and I love whatever instrument is being played at the beginning with that little ditty of a melody. Then all of a sudden those beautiful POUNDING guitars! Does anyone know the instrument being played in the beginning? Is that just the keyboard, or what? Also I adore those subtle guitar squeaks in the beginning. You know? I cried upon first listen of this song. It really got to me that much.

My favorite song of theres is Continental Drift, even though at first I REALLY didn't care much for Doubble Donkey disc. I listened to it at least a few times and each song kinda stuck out in it's own, and MAN did it rub off on me! It's got this vibe going!! Like how the way You know the Story kinda flows into Landing Of Yuri Gagarin. I really love Maybe In An Alternate Dimension. The whole kid game lego/zelda theme really works.

Are there two versions of Eponine? one on Pasadena, and one on Spending Time On The Borderline? I like the one on Spending Time On The Borderline best.

RRp3 tops all.

Well that's it. Sorry for talking my head off here. Yeah. OZ. :D

aPPLeGraviTY

Awesome! Thanks you guys. I'm also new to the oozing oozum of Ozma. :o
Woah.