News:

Maxwell T: @AmishJoe wait are you Jason

Ozma Thrasher Magazine Article

Started by sammo, December 18, 2004, 08:19:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

sammo

I thought this was pretty entertaining/interesting, from "Thrasher Magazine":

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0JSE/is_272/ai_105744827

"Bad punk is bad. Bands like Good Charlotte, who just kinda cash in on it--I mean, I don't wanna name names--they take the years of hard work by bands like Black Flag and Minutemen, and just cash in on it." - brummel

The Other Mike

good quotes from the band.... awful article otherwise.
blackjack1084 (11:02:36 PM): eat my ass
blackjack1084 (11:02:38 PM): and get a life

www.myspace.com/therattlesnakes

Not Jason

Quote from: The Other Mike on December 20, 2004, 05:37:10 am
good quotes from the band.... awful article otherwise.

i sorta liked it.

but as has been shown, i have terrible taste in music reviews.
You and I were the extremities
I am the baseball.

The Other Mike

well, there were a lot of incorrect facts and the whole "WE ARE SO PUNK" vibe of the magazine is just kind of lame.  It seemed like they were trying to paint Ozma as a different band than they were.
blackjack1084 (11:02:36 PM): eat my ass
blackjack1084 (11:02:38 PM): and get a life

www.myspace.com/therattlesnakes

Not Jason

Quote from: The Other Mike on December 20, 2004, 07:47:03 am
well, there were a lot of incorrect facts and the whole "WE ARE SO PUNK" vibe of the magazine is just kind of lame.Ã,  It seemed like they were trying to paint Ozma as a different band than they were.

well, it was also at a point in ozma history where their image was sort of confusing and jumbled anyway.  i think it would have been difficult to point an objectively clear portrait of ozma post-spendingtime.  and that's just me.
I am the baseball.

DougieZero

45 thousand dollars to make STOTBL?... How does that average to other indie bands?
"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members."

Not Jason

Quote from: DougieZero on December 20, 2004, 04:19:27 pm
45 thousand dollars to make STOTBL?... How does that average to other indie bands?

no idea, but it's worth noting that they made two far better albums without any label funding them, so clearly money isn't the end all.
I am the baseball.

Bob511

Quote from: Not Jason on December 20, 2004, 05:18:06 pmno idea, but it's worth noting that STotBL was their most sonically interesting album, so obviously label funding has its perks

Not Jason

Quote from: Bob511 on December 20, 2004, 06:26:58 pm
Quote from: Not Jason on December 20, 2004, 05:18:06 pmno idea, but it's worth noting that STotBL was their most sonically interesting album, so obviously label funding has its perks

"interresting" is one way of puting it.  obviously i don't feel like starting the classic debate up again, but i will say that there were some of the best ozma songs on that album.  i very much prefered the production style of rrp3 and ddd though... some of the best completely independant work i've ever heard.
I am the baseball.

phatpubah

i remember looking through that issue at the market and reading that article
man how time flys...
CPL593H

Potentially Tim

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, and kids, here is OZMA. Their songs span a stylistic spectrum from prog to punk to whatever's popular right now.

*stopped reading right there*