April 29, 2024, 11:57:58 am

News:

Don't smoke m3th!

Who Sings What.

Started by Fantastic Max, February 20, 2006, 10:27:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Nordel

You are correct. i hope ryen has no problems with me posting what he said.

"hey,
yes, jose did write that prechorus (one of my favorite sections on the album) but I do sing it... possibly in a lighter voice on the record to try and capture the feel of what he was going for. Jose did write all the chords and melody to that section but had a little help on that last chord from our good friend matt herman, when the Bb goes to B... that's a herman thing."

returnofdisco

it was already posted that jose did backup on "you know the story".  I wanted to point out in particular the line sung in the high voice "return me back to you", which he atleast does live, did he do it on the album too?
but most of all I fear you'd see, parts of me buried for centuries

geektheindierocker

Quote from: Casey L. Carr on February 25, 2006, 06:26:24 am
I notice Dan singing more every album.
Me too, his voice is getting more distinct too. I remember the first time I heard "Come Home Andrea" and was taken aback. He told me once that he wrote just about all of RRP3 but gave it to Ryen to sing. I think his voice started to really shine on DDD.

Fantastic Max

Quote from: returnofdisco on February 27, 2006, 05:58:19 pm
it was already posted that jose did backup on "you know the story".Ã,  I wanted to point out in particular the line sung in the high voice "return me back to you", which he atleast does live, did he do it on the album too?
Pretty sure. He does all those girly parts, haha. But it's good.
"Cross my heart, hope to die, stick a pizza in my mouth."
-Donkey Lips

Fantastic Max

Quote from: geektheindierocker on February 27, 2006, 07:18:42 pm
Quote from: Casey L. Carr on February 25, 2006, 06:26:24 am
I notice Dan singing more every album.
Me too, his voice is getting more distinct too. I remember the first time I heard "Come Home Andrea" and was taken aback. He told me once that he wrote just about all of RRP3 but gave it to Ryen to sing. I think his voice started to really shine on DDD.
Yeah I remember when Dan would do harmony on some songs and it would be all high pitched and weird, but then yeah, I do agree he came into his own and has a very distinct voice now.

Basic Differences
Ryen: more of a gritty, grungy type of whiny-ish voice
Daniel: more of a smooth, schooled-type of voice, bigger range, I think

And I think the bonus video on the STOTBL cd, where they're playing "Gameover" is the first time I noted Dan's harmony to be a lot different than the old really high-sounding vocals..like in the "2P you take my control, teach me how to rock & roll" you can really hear it.
-Donkey Lips

geektheindierocker

Quote from: ozmacity on February 27, 2006, 08:32:30 pm
Quote from: returnofdisco on February 27, 2006, 05:58:19 pm
it was already posted that jose did backup on "you know the story".  I wanted to point out in particular the line sung in the high voice "return me back to you", which he atleast does live, did he do it on the album too?
Pretty sure. He does all those girly parts, haha. But it's good.

Oh wow, I didn't know that was Jose doing the falsetto, that's one of my favorite Ozma moments.

Yeah I remember when Dan would do harmony on some songs and it would be all high pitched and weird, but then yeah, I do agree he came into his own and has a very distinct voice now.

What era are you referring to? I didn't first see them live until 2001, but I think on most of the pre-RRP3 stuff his harmonies sound solid, at least on the recordings. I could imagine him struggling at some point, not that he isn't super talented but because he was so young when they started out.

Fantastic Max

Quote from: geektheindierocker on February 27, 2006, 09:56:01 pm
What era are you referring to? I didn't first see them live until 2001, but I think on most of the pre-RRP3 stuff his harmonies sound solid, at least on the recordings. I could imagine him struggling at some point, not that he isn't super talented but because he was so young when they started out.
Like the Gameover video, or certain songs that I can't remember, but at least the Gameover Digivent video.
-Donkey Lips

Rome

Quote from: ozmacity on February 27, 2006, 08:44:59 pm
Basic Differences

I think Ryen's voice is a lot more smooth. Restart, for example, is probably one of the prettiest songs of Ozma, and I think ryen sang it better than Dan could've done. He does have that whiny-ish sort of thing, but it's a hell of a lot more masculine than something like Dashboard or the guy from Saves the Day. (Just off the top of my head for whiny voices). Dan's voice can be a little crazier at times, especially in RRP3. (Natalie Portman, Baseball, Battlescars).

ps I'm comparing ranges and it sounds like Dan clearly has that won. Does anyone know the song in which he goes the highest (not in falsetto, obviously). So far I still believe it's continental drift. NE WUN?! Edit** if that's the case, than Jose is at least tied with Dan.

I like ozma

yeah, i believe "restart" is the best vocal song of ozma's

Kurtzie

It has some nice range in it too. I really do love that song. Might be my favorite song by Ozma.
Everything will work out as long as you do whatever you want with out worring about the consequences.

Fantastic Max

Quote from: Rome on February 27, 2006, 10:39:01 pm
Quote from: ozmacity on February 27, 2006, 08:44:59 pm
Basic Differences

I think Ryen's voice is a lot more smooth. Restart, for example, is probably one of the prettiest songs of Ozma, and I think ryen sang it better than Dan could've done. He does have that whiny-ish sort of thing, but it's a hell of a lot more masculine than something like Dashboard or the guy from Saves the Day. (Just off the top of my head for whiny voices). Dan's voice can be a little crazier at times, especially in RRP3. (Natalie Portman, Baseball, Battlescars).

ps I'm comparing ranges and it sounds like Dan clearly has that won. Does anyone know the song in which he goes the highest (not in falsetto, obviously). So far I still believe it's continental drift. NE WUN?! Edit** if that's the case, than Jose is at least tied with Dan.
I hope you don't think I was bashing Ryen's voice. I really love his voice, and when I say "Whiny" I don't mean it negatively, it's just the only word I could think of to describe it.

And as for Dan's high vocals, "Continental Drift" is pretty up there. He belts out a pretty mean "STRAIGHT UP I-5!!" on Baseball, if you ask me.
-Donkey Lips

yoshigaki

March 02, 2006, 04:35:58 pm #41 Last Edit: March 02, 2006, 04:39:35 pm by yoshigaki

I'm almost absolutely certain it's the chorus of Wake Up.

Fantastic Max

Quote from: yoshigaki on March 02, 2006, 04:35:58 pm

I'm almost absolutely certain it's the chorus of Wake Up.
'Tis pretty up there.
-Donkey Lips