May 15, 2024, 10:52:30 am

News:

If you can read this, Samuel is still a ph@gg0t

March 12th

Started by noonchild, March 12, 2006, 10:49:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff42

Oh, also, on my way out after the show someone handed me a CD by a band called The Power Cords, and I'm actually finding it pretty enjoyable.  I can definitely see why they would try to get Ozma's audience, and while they're no Ozma, it's fun music.

Kyosho

Did I ever mention that I hate you all?

:'( :'( :'(
I'll be rising high above the earth so soon, and the tears I cry might turn into the rain that gently falls upon your window. You'll never know.

savewhatyouare

the fault dear brutus is not in our stars, but in ourselves

Bob511

So no one's mentioned the crowd chorus during "Domino Effect"?

Because I think that turned out better than I've heard at any other show I've attended.

savewhatyouare

Quote from: Bob511 on March 14, 2006, 10:39:17 pm
So no one's mentioned the crowd chorus during "Domino Effect"?

Because I think that turned out better than I've heard at any other show I've attended.

yeah that was pretty sweet

I'm so jealous of The Mae-Shi... they cause more shit around here than I possibly ever could.

And, aren't there more photos of this show??  Everyone had a camera, so where are all the pictures?!?!

tom

Quote from: <3 Satisfaction <3 on March 15, 2006, 06:46:44 am
I'm so jealous of The Mae-Shi... they cause more shit around here than I possibly ever could.

And, aren't there more photos of this show??  Everyone had a camera, so where are all the pictures?!?!
Being converted into emo myspace pictures.

ps - are people just now starting to hear satisfaction? cuz they is the bomb diggity phatness.

Quote from: Tom Is Dead on March 15, 2006, 07:46:38 am
ps - are people just now starting to hear satisfaction? cuz they is the bomb diggity phatness.

OMG.  I know.  I love them because they were absolutely super nice.  I have such a crush on Satisfaction.

I like ozma

i have some pictures, but i dont know how to post pictures...

The Other Mike

Quote from: I like ozma on March 15, 2006, 09:50:57 am
i have some pictures, but i dont know how to post pictures...

what a shocker!

but seriously, just find a site to upload them (like shutterfly, photobucket, or imageshack), copy the address of the pic, then use the little button that looks like a picture on the screen where you write your post to put image tags around the picture address.
blackjack1084 (11:02:36 PM): eat my ass
blackjack1084 (11:02:38 PM): and get a life

www.myspace.com/therattlesnakes

noonchild

Me and paz posted some in the March 13th thread.
The light cast dark shadows all around me

antiuser

Satisfaction was awesome, even though I was right up against the stage, the mix sounded just right, and their energy was great.
The Mae Shi were good, but the mix was weird for them, at least from where I was standing - I heard more drums and guitar/omnichord than anything else and the vocals were almost nonexistant. Hearing their stuff on their myspace page, it's much much better.
I don't even know what to say about Ozma. The setlist was great (even if they left Apple Trees out), the mix was alright but not great... I got beer thrown at me, my feet were stomped on by a bunch of people, I fell over but it was so worth it. Looking forward to hear the bootleg...

kitten

yeah, i have a couple of pics.  none of the actual show, but of oofers.  expect to see them in the gream pretty soon.  probably after my nap.

bulb dylan

Quote from: Jeff42 on March 14, 2006, 07:35:56 pm
Oh, also, on my way out after the show someone handed me a CD by a band called The Power Cords, and I'm actually finding it pretty enjoyable.Ã,  I can definitely see why they would try to get Ozma's audience, and while they're no Ozma, it's fun music.

They are quite good. Their full length comes out next month. The artwork is incredible.

eb

this is totally Samuel! i need to spend more time on the internet!

i think i am technically an ozma fan, so hopefully it is kosher for me to say this here:

it is totally fine to not like my band or even hate us! occaisionally we must hate things.

although, the vociferous intensity of complaint, and now the phenomenon of flaming our myspace, seems strange and out of place in something as nominally positive as a phan phorum.

some of you could possibly stand a little more 'punk' and 'noise' and 'complexity' in your musical lives. consider:

busoni
stravinsky
ives
varese
xenakis
cage
raymond scott
yoko ono
captain beefheart
robert ashley
mort subotnick
frank zappa
the screamers
the germs
foetus
throbbing gristle
DNA
GAG
glenn branca
liquid liquid
the normal
maximum joy
this heat
einseurzen neubaten
electric eels
wire
christian wolff
pere ubu
mission of burma
the minutemen
dead boys
gg allin
joy division
the raincoats
the boredoms
the ruins
the A frames
SWANS
derek bailey
john zorn
brainiac
born against
botch
frail
otomo yoshihide
christian marclay
racebannon
the monorchid
skull control
geraldine fibbers
man is the bastard
big black
diamanda galas
archers of loaf
us maple
nobekazu takemura
idiotflesh
caroliner
deerhoof
xiu xiu
zeni geva
afrirampo
DMBQ
yellow swans
john weise
lucky dragons

the academically and music-theoretically minded may also find the following tomes to be stimulating:

'twentieth-century harmony: creative aspects and practice' - vincent persichetti
'rhythm and noise: an aesthetic of rock' - theodore gracyk
'noise: the political economy of music' - jacques attali
'poetics of music' - igor stravinsky
'ezra pound and music: the complete criticism' - ezra pound

debussy, ives, cage and xenakis have also written interesting things about their "difficult" music.

other news items of interest:

glenn branca's symphony no. 13, 'hallucination city', for 100 guitars, is playing at walt disney hall very soon and i think it's only like 10 bucks. branca was the guy who introduced the guitarists of sonic youth to open tuning and semitone clusters (lee ranaldo's 'staircase chord'), so if you're interested in SY this might be a nice thing to try out. in fact the whole LA phil. minimalist series should be pretty Samuel.

you might want to check out the archive of my recordings at music.calarts.edu/~ebuchla
much of it is kind of pretty and even directly related to mr dan b. who you already know.

i recently did a lot of work using electronics and strings on the new carla bozulich record, 'evangelista.'
http://www.southern.com/southern/catalog/CBOZU
we worked closely with several members of godspeed you black emperor! and SWANS on this. it is a very good record.

i am very glad for the enthusiasm here! you are very good fans and it's good to talk about things.

luv,

ezra

The Other Mike

thanks ezra, now I have to spend months finding and listening to all those bands.
blackjack1084 (11:02:36 PM): eat my ass
blackjack1084 (11:02:38 PM): and get a life

www.myspace.com/therattlesnakes

antiuser

March 15, 2006, 04:04:23 pm #136 Last Edit: March 15, 2006, 04:16:50 pm by antiuser
Quote from: eb on March 15, 2006, 03:06:17 pm
some of you could possibly stand a little more 'punk' and 'noise' and 'complexity' in your musical lives. consider:

May I also suggest Stockhausen, Conlon Nancarrow and Schoenberg...

edit: also, William Basinski and Gavin Bryars

RaRPT

Definitely wasn't at the show, I'm a few thousand miles away, but I don't know what you all were talking about. I really like the Mae Shi. Not a favorite band, but the best of their genre that I've heard, and just really cool in my opinion.

savewhatyouare

noise is good...sometimes...depends who is playing it i suppose. for example: xiu xiu's fabulous muscles or deerhoof's the runners four. I guess that's the most "noise" i can handle.

for the other noise (i.e. deadboys, gg allin), I can only take so much of it. Growing up in a high school withÃ,  pretentious punk rockers keying cars and taking pisses in stairwells and halls, I have certainly experienced my fair share of nihilistic antics...with their soundtrack blasting in their 89 corollas (mostly swans, dinosaur jr., sonic youth). I guess it's all in the matter of taste.

So what's the big deal? Why are people arguing? I guess it's just all about ego. The reason why I posted that longwinded fragments of paragraphs that can hardly be considered a well researched/thought-out rant, was because fans of the Mae Shi set out to make the band seem like the second coming. It is understood, that those fans were only defending themselves, and blame should be placed on those who flat out said "the mae shi sucks balls" with no rationale or explanation whatsoever. But certain people on this board, have either stated a) i dont care what you think. the mae shi rule, or b) they are trying something different, therefore..they rule.

statement a) is pretty much a fallacy; attacking the people who originally attacked by using the same attack method (try saying that 10x fast). statment b) is probably the most interesting, and thought provoking. Sure, as I said before, I give credit to the Mae Shi for trying something new, even though, as I also said beofre, it's not really new since it is a throwback to the late 1970s fleeting NY No Wave movement. The opinion can relate to all forms of art: music, cinema, painting, etc. Does something deserve praise just because it is new and has never been done before? I believe it was Salvidor Dali that once presented a toilet as his artwork at a museum in Italy, and people took it seirously...analyzing how the toilet was portrayed, positioned and colored. A week later, Dali revealed that it was a statement on the current position of art, believing that aesthetic critique is now shallow. The toilet represented the most obscure, nonsensible object to Dali...and by presenting it, tested the audience of who is real and who is fake. To be honest, when I saw The Mae Shi live, i thought about the very thing Dali was doing. Does the Mae Shi deserve greatness for 3 note motifs and incessant screeching? According to many people on this board, yes they do...no matter how contrived it is. One poster also mentioned that the mae shi should be praised because they're not doing the same thing eveyrone else is doing. Apparently, my implication..or statment for that matter..wasn't clear enough: isn't it harder to reinvent, personalize, or refresh a formula that has been done numerous times...than to make something new that lacks in depth and achieves in obscurity? Of course, if someone creates something entirely new and refreshing that has mass appeal, then yay...a new revolution begins. But whatever...i guess that's a matter of opinion.

Now is the Mae Shi a legitimate act? Yeah..they have to be. There's no doubt in my mind that they are accomplished musicians, even more so from what ezra posted. Do I think they are the second coming? no. Would I take a bullet for them? probably...but not because their music is great.

p.s. ezra seems like a really cool guy..and more knowledgeable than most people on this board, including me.

p.p.s. is lou reed's metal machine music considered "noise?"

antiuser

Quote from: savewhatyouare on March 15, 2006, 07:09:59 pmI believe it was Salvidor Dali that once presented a toilet as his artwork

You might be referring to Marcel Duchamp and his urinal... he and other artists like Man Ray were big on the idea of "ready-made objects" presented as art. I could be wrong though, I don't know as much about Dali as I wish...

savewhatyouare

Quote from: antiuser on March 15, 2006, 09:31:05 pm
Quote from: savewhatyouare on March 15, 2006, 07:09:59 pmI believe it was Salvidor Dali that once presented a toilet as his artwork

You might be referring to Marcel Duchamp and his urinal... he and other artists like Man Ray were big on the idea of "ready-made objects" presented as art. I could be wrong though, I don't know as much about Dali as I wish...

you mgiht be right. i just remember my spanish teacher, who loved dali, told that story once. She could have been referring to Duchamp, but I'm pretty sure it was a toilet...because we got in a tangent discussion of why its called the "john." (it's called the john because the guy who created the porcelean bowl was named john whatever)

Fantastic Max

Quote from: ozmacity on March 13, 2006, 11:05:02 pm
Man..we left to go to the bathroom after arriving, and 15 minutes later when we got back, there was already a line.

We ended up being like 15-20th in line.

Were any of you the couple sitting in front of us in line eating the pizza and burger? That stuff looked good. The girl had nice shoes, and the guy looked friendly.
Seriously..are you guys on here?
That pizza looked really good.
"Cross my heart, hope to die, stick a pizza in my mouth."
-Donkey Lips

Bob511

God, I wish Sarah and I had eaten a pizza before that show.  :-[

noonchild

Those chicken wings no good?  Always a risk.
The light cast dark shadows all around me

Bob511

Oh they were good.  When the show ended and I went to clean up the table and found one last untouched mini-drumstick it was like discovering my pal's snow-hidden femur on the sixty-third day of my Andean survival disaster.  Or something.

Still, pizza before the show would've been awesome.

cesarsalad

Quote from: The Other Mike on March 15, 2006, 03:12:14 pm
thanks ezra, now I have to spend months finding and listening to all those bands.

Ezra called. He wants his  PENIS   back.

kitten

the wings smelled fantastic.

paz

here are some more pictures of the performances (others were put in march 13th) thread.
i had a great time at these shows. hope you did too.
enjoy
<3m.

if you want me to make em thumbnails just lemme know.
got a box full of letters

antiuser

I think the audience's reaction to the Mae Shi was powered more by sheer shock than aversion... at least in my case, I definitely wasn't prepared, but that doesn't mean I don't like them. I was ready for nice melodies, hooks and singalongs, which Satisfaction and then Ozma provided. The Mae Shi was the wildcard inbetween sets - I had never heard of them before and I recall my initial reaction being "what are these guys doing here?". The mix (at least where I was standing) didn't really help, but after a short while I started getting into it. The "get off the stage" and "you suck" comments both at the show and on this board and myspace are uncalled for, but I think it's safe to say that the Mae Shi guys knew exactly what they were getting into when they agreed to play with Satisfaction and Ozma, and for that I applaud them - that takes some serious cojones.

evanismyname

This is kinda random but:
did anyone else see the guy who got punched in the face? it was during tetris, he was right next to me and the guy who hit him just barely missed my face. when we all got pushed back to where we were the guy was in front of me with blood on his shirt and still coming out of his nose.