April 18, 2024, 05:50:35 am

News:

When's the last time you said "I love you" to a friend!?

Favorite Ryen Riff

Started by AM Radio, January 23, 2008, 10:56:15 am

Previous topic - Next topic

AM Radio

Which Ozma song has your favorite guitar work? Its so tough. Pretty much any time Ryen plays on the offbeats it rocks so much.

Battlescars .. such a commanding riff, and when he comes in during the intro with the vocal line on guitar.. It sounds so full and put together. it sears. Because this Heebs KNOWS!!! how to play on the offbeats.
Same with Spending Time... he knows.
The guitarwork in Lightyears Will Burn is dreamy and intricate. The instrumental section is great.
(anyone notice that it sounds a lot like the song from the original Zelda when youre in the temples?)
and then it explodes to the outro where Ryen and Dan really showcase a ton of skill. Ryens solo, man.. it really makes it.

but the Ozma riff that speaks to me most, speaks louder than words can... Lemme tell ya... aright lemme tell ya...
The Business of Getting Down. Hes always coming in weird spots. Throughout the song his parts are always coming in at parts that are not so predictable. Notice when daniel says "So i got down to business". He strums twice right after D says so i, instead of coming in right AS he is saying so i. Thats interesting to me.
But the lead riff right after "...step on the pedal..."  really is probably my favorite Ryen riff. I feel like it sort of embodies the heart of all of his offbeat riffs. it is very engaging and has an emotional sound to it.
If i played that riff live, id have to watch my feet as to be careful not to trip over my DICK man because it must feel so awesome to perform that.

AM Radio

i wonder what his favorite song to play live is.

I Like Ozma

my fav is the maybe in an alternate dimention thing. easy.
Quote from: Elliott on December 09, 2006, 03:02:12 pm
Good point, too bad theyre gonna criticize you now.

amish

Quote from: I Like Ozma on January 23, 2008, 11:38:33 am

omgomgomg you can't even spell Ozma's own songs correctly? Do you even, like, own any of their albums? lololol I bet you think Coffee Shop Girl is an Ozma song.

gloom-glaam

I Like Ozma

Quote from: GLaDOS on January 23, 2008, 11:56:25 am
Quote from: I Like Ozma on January 23, 2008, 11:38:33 am

omgomgomg you can't even spell Ozma's own songs correctly? Do you even, like, own any of their albums? lololol I bet you think Coffee Shop Girl is an Ozma song.

wow.

k24

"fight the darkness" when it's the guitar "solo", and you hear that first phrase, and then the minor 7 arppeggio.... i love that little line. "dah dah dah dah dah dah dah dah dah dahhm" that part. my favorite. i use it all the time.

Oatmeal

GLaDOS is starting to worry me.
Quote from: antiuser on December 09, 2007, 11:35:30 am
There aren't many bands out there that treat their fans like Ozma does.
http://oatmealmp3blog.blogspot.com/

Not Jason

This is a tough question for me.  Not many of my favorite Ozma moments are simply guitar-based.  Often times what really sells me is the interplay of instruments in Ozma songs.  Ozma's got a lot of awesome parts with 2 and 3 part harmonies spread across 2 guitars, bass and keys.  A good example is the instrumental part at the end of "The Ups and Downs".  That thing gives me chills.
You and I were the extremities
I am the baseball.

I Like Ozma

AM Radio

Quote from: Not Jason on January 23, 2008, 10:32:10 pm
This is a tough question for me.  Not many of my favorite Ozma moments are simply guitar-based.  Often times what really sells me is the interplay of instruments in Ozma songs.  Ozma's got a lot of awesome parts with 2 and 3 part harmonies spread across 2 guitars, bass and keys.  A good example is the instrumental part at the end of "The Ups and Downs".  That thing gives me chills.

of course all of mine arent guitar based, but thats what i was talking about in this particular thread.

Curve in the old 1-9 also has great guitar work, that line he plays right after dan is saying "only with a hopeful kiss..."

the chorus rocks, it sounds like this instrumental band Pelican that i listen to.
the chorus of Straight Flush is reminiscent of the chorus of 1-9.

Not Jason

What I mean is that, as awesome a guitarist as I think Ryen is, rarely can I give him sole credit for something that catches my interest in an Ozma song.  The vast majority of times that I REALLY like a riff in an Ozma song, it's because of it's arrangement with the other instruments, and it would be short changing the other 3 melody-bearing instrumentalists in the band to give Ryen full credit for them.  And to be fair, having seen them live a handful of times, a lot of the powerchord riffs that I tend to really dig are carried in large part by Jose.

But as far as Ryen's work goes, I have to second anyone who might have said "virtually everything he does in lightyears".  That song has great guitar work.
You and I were the extremities
I am the baseball.

CT-700

I've always been fond of his harmonized riffs with Jose in Immigration Song...

(Jose is not getting enough love in this thread)

But yeah, Lightyears goes without saying.

AM Radio

Jose is a really great performer, and definitely always delivers solid material. I wonder how much he is really is involved in the writing process though.

id love to hear what it sounds like for the different members of ozma to jam, one on one, to a nice solid beat. So you can really sort of tell where each of the members of the band are coming from.

brad

One of my favorite riffs is right after the solo in "Rocks" when he plays a harmony line with the "woahs"

Mikerton

the guitar riff for curve in the old 1-9 is majorly rad in my opinion.
"I hope everything works out for you.. if not there are other asians in the sea"