April 29, 2024, 05:18:23 pm

News:

If you can read this, Samuel is still a ph@gg0t

danny b's new band

Started by Andy, February 25, 2005, 08:19:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy

"" So I have kind of randomly & serendipitously landed in a band with some friends from Austin, TX called "Gone With The Ghosts." (I know the name is a little strange; it's from Shakespeare.) The group includes members of the bands Sixteen Deluxe, Grand Mal, Knife In The Water, as well as my good friend Ian Richardson from Slowreader/the Impossibles. I wrote the lyrics & melodies to some songs written by Ian & guitarist Mark Nathan, and they learned a few of my songs. In January & February we spent some time in Austin practicing and recording, and some of the results have been posted for your perusal at www.myspace.com/gonewiththeghosts -- the group will perform its first shows in Austin at the South By Southwest festival in March. The warmup show is Tues. 3/15 at the Longbranch Inn, the SXSW show is the following Saturday 3/19 at the Velvet Spade on Red River, we play at 8pm sharp, also playing are Pony Up and the Natural History.

The group is brand new, and I'm sure we will be developing a lot this year. I'd be curious to hear any of your thoughts about the songs. ""

pretty cool

///

kitten

hmmm, wasn't planning on going to sxsw, but if dan is playing and jose comes down, i might just head over to austin.

brad

am i the only one experiencing this problem or are the songs not working for you guys too?

what is he doing for this band?  -    bass? (lead?) vocals?
what does it sound like?

Not Jason

this is the band i've been waiting for.

eeeeeee.
You and I were the extremities
I am the baseball.

The Other Mike

very awesome.  Dan sent me an early version of one of these songs a couple months ago and I've been waiting to hear more.  I hope they do a tour with Yes Dear.... and come to Maine.
blackjack1084 (11:02:36 PM): eat my ass
blackjack1084 (11:02:38 PM): and get a life

www.myspace.com/therattlesnakes

Ianny

Wow.  This is great stuff!  And I am quite glad to hear "Television" with a full band sound.  One of the last unrecorded Ozma songs has found a new home, with the full band arrangement it deserves.  Love the sound of the stuff.  They seem to work quite well together.  And yes, a tour with Yes Dear would rock my socks.  Especially if said dream tour made its way to New York. :rockinit:
~Ozma is now back.  Do a dance!  :D

To hear more from this strange man, go to the journal.
I also have two podcasts, one updated weekly, and one updated whenever I find the time.  The weekly one is Comic Timing and is found here.The other is "The Geekspeak Report" which is found here.

OMGWTFBBQ

a little more cerebral than yes dear (thus far)... but also a little less fun.

television is pretty sweet... some of the others didn't really grab me right away; still listening though.

Not Jason

Quote from: OMGWTFBBQ on February 26, 2005, 11:32:13 am
a little more cerebral than yes dear (thus far)... but also a little less fun.

television is pretty sweet... some of the others didn't really grab me right away; still listening though.

yeah, that's what i was thinking too.  i like it a lot though.  strange coincidance and... whatever that other one was... i really like a lot.  i think it's cool that it's a different sound than yes dear.  it's not so instantly accessable i think, but it does seem to have depth to it, making it great for certain moods that yes dear could not perhaps suit.
I am the baseball.

///

I wish I could decipher all these lyrics, from what I understand they sound pretty interesting...

icecreamman

sammo

Television was an unrecorded ozma song?
That's hard to believe, for some reason.
It sounds good though.  I like it.

Ianny

Quote from: sammo on February 27, 2005, 09:00:37 am
It sounds good though.  I like it.

Yes, it is.  Daniel played it at an acoustic show here in Brooklyn a few months back, letting the crowd know that it is one fo the few songs Ozma never got a chance to play.  "Just imagine this song with drums, keyboards, the works" he said, or something along those lines when he played it.  Seemed a bit choked up about it too.
~Ozma is now back.  Do a dance!  :D

To hear more from this strange man, go to the journal.
I also have two podcasts, one updated weekly, and one updated whenever I find the time.  The weekly one is Comic Timing and is found here.The other is "The Geekspeak Report" which is found here.

hankataks

i just can't get any myscape mp3s to work on any browser on my mac. is that a firewall thing? can someone put these songs up somewhere for me to download? that would be suns and flowers!

brad

Quote from: icecreamman on February 27, 2005, 08:30:12 am
Quote from: brad on February 25, 2005, 09:47:35 pm

what is he doing for this band?Ã,  -Ã,  Ã,  bass?

i don't know if thats sarcasm or not, but your boy danny b is also a very accomplished guitarist if you didn't know.

icecreamman

February 28, 2005, 11:06:59 am #15 Last Edit: February 28, 2005, 11:11:02 am by icecreamman
Quote from: brad on February 28, 2005, 10:41:16 am

what is he doing for this band?  -    bass?

i don't know if thats sarcasm or not, but your boy danny b is also a very accomplished guitarist if you didn't know.
Well, I knew that he is a guitarist, just to let you know, but he could also be playing bass.

Not Jason

why would that be sarcasm?

dan can play guitar, i think we're all aware of that, but he spent several years of his life playing bass in a band, and he's very very good at it.  it was an honest question.
I am the baseball.

///

Quote from: icecreamman on February 28, 2005, 11:06:59 am

Well, I knew that he is a guitarist, just to let you know, but he could also be playing bass.

I think we're all neglecting the fact that he wrote the melodies and lyrics for some of these songs...

if that counts...

icecreamman

Quote from: justin on February 28, 2005, 05:45:08 pm

I think we're all neglecting the fact that he wrote the melodies and lyrics for some of these songs...

if that counts...
Well, he did write lots of melodies(I believe) to Ozma songs and he was still the bassist.  Either way, he rocks.

Andy

Quote from: icecreamman on February 28, 2005, 06:02:55 pm

if that counts...
Well, he did write lots of melodies(I believe) to Ozma songs and he was still the bassist.  Either way, he rocks.
noting the question still isnt answered...
i did learn that Mark Nathan used to play bass too, so maybe he is bassist and daniel is guitar...

Not Jason

if that counts...

i'm aware that that is what was said, and perhaps on these recordings he didn't play anything, but i find it difficult to believe that in a 4 piece band with layered music, a multi-instrumentalists witha Ã, music composition degree would limit himself to a vocals only role. Ã, maybe this doesn't jump out as terribly obvious to everyone else, but if dan's only doing vocals in this band and not playing an instrument, they're a bunch of idiots.
I am the baseball.

Seb

sounds pretty awesome, although it's still "speakeasy" that i'm really looking forward to...
"Just tell me one thing - is this business, or is it personal? Because if it's business, then I'll go away happily. But if it's personal? I'll go away. But I won't be happy."

The Other Mike

Quote from: Not Jason on February 28, 2005, 07:00:19 pm

if that counts...

i'm aware that that is what was said, and perhaps on these recordings he didn't play anything, but i find it difficult to believe that in a 4 piece band with layered music, a multi-instrumentalists witha  music composition degree would limit himself to a vocals only role.  maybe this doesn't jump out as terribly obvious to everyone else, but if dan's only doing vocals in this band and not playing an instrument, they're a bunch of idiots.

on the demo of Strange Coincidence that he sent me (which sounds pretty much exactly like the one up there now) I think he was just responsible for vocals.  That may change in the future or might not be the case in other songs.
blackjack1084 (11:02:36 PM): eat my ass
blackjack1084 (11:02:38 PM): and get a life

www.myspace.com/therattlesnakes

Kyosho

Talked to Daniel on AIM last night (er...I mean very early this morning), and he said he'd get it set up so we can download the songs. Which is good, because I can't listen to the streams. Plus I'm sure everyone else would like some mp3s as well. At least, those of you who haven't already made some.
I'll be rising high above the earth so soon, and the tears I cry might turn into the rain that gently falls upon your window. You'll never know.

Not Jason

i talked to dan about the "who's playing what" issue, and i guess they're still sort of up in the air about it.  i guess they're considering the idea of switching around a little.
I am the baseball.

secret squares

icecreamman

I can not get enough of "Strange Coincidence," I especially dig the intro.

thekoalastampede

Quote from: Ianny on February 27, 2005, 12:50:16 pm
Quote from: sammo on February 27, 2005, 09:00:37 am
It sounds good though.Ã,  I like it.

Yes, it is.Ã,  Daniel played it at an acoustic show here in Brooklyn a few months back, letting the crowd know that it is one fo the few songs Ozma never got a chance to play.Ã,  "Just imagine this song with drums, keyboards, the works" he said, or something along those lines when he played it.Ã,  Seemed a bit choked up about it too.

I remember that. When he mentioned Ozma breaking up I was the dickhead who Booed.

ethan

Just listened to Television for the first time and my arm hairs are still standing tall.  Brilliant!
"Oh you must live intelligently.Ã,  If only for yourself stand on your principality." - Harrison Stafford of Groundation