May 17, 2024, 03:14:07 pm

News:

Don't smoke m3th!

The Elected @ The EL Rey

Started by buttub, April 05, 2006, 07:10:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

buttub

The Elected are playing the El Rey on April 22. Dan's not on bass anymore, but Nate's taking over for him. Should be cool..

savewhatyouare

tom

Biggest Star - the only song you will ever need to see live in your entire life.

evanismyname

Quote from: Tom Is Dead on April 07, 2006, 10:15:40 am
Biggest Star - the only song you will ever need to see live in your entire life.

Yeah I'm good with Only in Dreams, actually.

k24

savewhatyouare

I like ozma

savewhatyouare

Quote from: like ozma i do on April 16, 2006, 01:35:09 pm
< never seen either live

seen both live, numerous times.

maybe i'm just favoring with biggest star right now cause it's recent? both are Samuel though

tom

Quote from: savewhatyouare on April 16, 2006, 03:02:30 pm
Quote from: like ozma i do on April 16, 2006, 01:35:09 pm
< never seen either live

seen both live, numerous times.

maybe i'm just favoring with biggest star right now cause it's recent? both are Samuel though

Same here, right now biggest star just blows me away. I mean....i've never heard Weezer improvise while playing OID.

warren

evanismyname

April 25, 2006, 08:12:12 pm #10 Last Edit: April 25, 2006, 08:17:05 pm by evanismyname
Uhh, it's not about how they are playing it, I was refering to the fact that biggest star is the same chord progression and dynamic song structure as only in dreams, even up to the crescendo build up, placement, song length.

savewhatyouare

Quote from: evanismyname on April 25, 2006, 08:12:12 pm
Uhh, it's not about how they are playing it, I was refering to the fact that biggest star is the same chord progression and dynamic song structure as only in dreams, even up to the crescendo build up, placement, song length.

just because it's the same paint brush doesn't mean it's the same painting.

point being- although they have the same structure, it doesn't really mean that they are alike at all, cause, really (besides it's length and structure) they are not very similar.

It's all a matter of preference of course.

evanismyname

April 25, 2006, 10:46:58 pm #12 Last Edit: April 25, 2006, 10:52:36 pm by evanismyname
Quote from: savewhatyouare on April 25, 2006, 08:49:01 pm

point being- although they have the same structure, it doesn't really mean that they are alike at all, cause, really (besides it's length and structure) they are not very similar.

Right, except its also you know, the same chord progression, which when combined with the other like aspects, overshadow the few original elements of the song.

nanaki

two words, one name for you guys: yellow ledbetter.   ::)

k24

you can't copyright chord progressions.

plus   I - IV - ii - V progressions are simple, and one of the first things taught in freshmen music theory, and go back to the days of Bach. If you want to think like that, i guess weezer was a few hundred years past being original.

savewhatyouare

Quote from: evanismyname on April 25, 2006, 10:46:58 pm
Quote from: savewhatyouare on April 25, 2006, 08:49:01 pm

Right, except its also you know, the same chord progression, which when combined with the other like aspects, overshadow the few original elements of the song.

yes..but you see...nothing is original anymore.

tom

I'm really confused...I was just saying how I think biggest star is way better live, than only in dreams.
Weezer hardly ever goes "off the cuff." Thats what makes biggest star Samuel. And, yeah, what someone else said, if you want to get technical, alot of songs have similar chord progressions.