April 29, 2024, 12:18:15 pm

News:

If you can read this, Samuel is still a ph@gg0t

March 12th

Started by noonchild, March 12, 2006, 10:49:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

kitten

was gerardo there?  i thought perhaps i saw him, but i didn't say anything.

noonchild

Heh, forgot to pack the elephant thong.  But yes, biggest surprise was Samantha, I see Lisa and get her attention and then this girls says "We've been looking for you" and I think "who's that?... Oh!  it's samantha."  I guess I just gathered from her pictures she was 9 feet tall.
The light cast dark shadows all around me

phatpubah

March 13, 2006, 11:13:31 am #32 Last Edit: March 13, 2006, 11:15:48 am by phatpubah
Quote from: Timantha on March 13, 2006, 10:14:23 am
i can't believe i didn't meet niles.  i'm kind of dissapointed. 
awww
i got there half way through satisfaction's set and stayed down stairs (right next to where that girl passed out lolz).  i left shortly after ozma finished their set...the people i was with just like booked it out the door.  i wanted to say "whats up" to people but i couldnt  :-\
i did give a "yeaaaaaaaah" to david (noonchild) and i think i saw lisa but she was in the middle of the crowd and i was on the outside

i fell bummed i didnt see samantha and dylan

edit: i was standing in front of kris danger throughout the whole ozma set...i dont hink he knew so i didnt want to sound like a creep
CPL593H

NewYorkerNick

The show last night was Samuel. Satisfaction and Ozma that is.

That other band... Well I'm just glad my parents never beat me when I was a kid.

Funny quote of the week:
"anyways, if you want to keep arguing about how the mae shi sucks, go for it.  Just know that you are wrong."
-The Other Mike

Zombie Don Ho

Quote from: Not Jason on March 13, 2006, 08:43:31 am
Quote from: The Other Mike on March 13, 2006, 06:43:41 am
Why is everyone hating on the mae shi?  The mae shi is fucking awesome.

The Mae Shi is far beyond awesome.  Seriously guys.  Terrorbird has to be one of the top 10 records I've ever heard.  I understand why the average Ozma fan wouldn't like them, but it doesn't mean you're not wrong.  They are objective quality.

hmmm, well... I'm listening to some Terrorbird clips on Itunes, and i will tell you that they sounded nothing like this at the show. It was like the whole thing was just being made up on the spot... they were just screaming and bashing around to entertain themselves. And it was pretty disappointing, because I remembered someone on the OFF talking about how great the drummer was, etc. And I've seen groups do the same kind of super-arty experimental music, but in most of those cases there was at least some sense of coherency, and it was apparent that what they were doing actually took talent to pull off... Not so with the Mae Shi last night. The whole thing sucked.

I think it's great if a band can get an incredulous 'what the fuck??!!?' kind of reaction from an audience once in a while, but to base your entire act on that is, needless to say, pretty stupid. You aren't communicating anything worthwhile.

paz

mae shi -
"I guess you guys aren't ready for that yet. But your kids are gonna love it." -bttf
got a box full of letters

savewhatyouare

Quote from: les cambrioleurs on March 13, 2006, 12:16:34 pm
Quote from: Not Jason on March 13, 2006, 08:43:31 am
Quote from: The Other Mike on March 13, 2006, 06:43:41 am
Why is everyone hating on the mae shi?Ã,  The mae shi is fucking awesome.

The Mae Shi is far beyond awesome.Ã,  Seriously guys.Ã,  Terrorbird has to be one of the top 10 records I've ever heard.Ã,  I understand why the average Ozma fan wouldn't like them, but it doesn't mean you're not wrong.Ã,  They are objective quality.

hmmm, well... I'm listening to some Terrorbird clips on Itunes, and i will tell you that they sounded nothing like this at the show. It was like the whole thing was just being made up on the spot... they were just screaming and bashing around to entertain themselves. And it was pretty disappointing, because I remembered someone on the OFF talking about how great the drummer was, etc. And I've seen groups do the same kind of super-arty experimental music, but in most of those cases there was at least some sense of coherency, and it was apparent that what they were doing actually took talent to pull off... Not so with the Mae Shi last night. The whole thing sucked.

I think it's great if a band can get an incredulous 'what the fuck??!!?' kind of reaction from an audience once in a while, but to base your entire act on that is, needless to say, pretty stupid. You aren't communicating anything worthwhile.

there's a fine line between art and shit....

i'm all for experimental/progressive....but this was just crap. Anyone could have done what they were doing up there if they had sense of how to play an instrument. There was no progression in their act...it was just a pretentious, pompous, and a wannabe-rock star attitude with some guy screaming "OZMA!" over and over again while he touched himself...with some guy that looked like Casey Afflect playing a toy. The guy molesting himself called out a guy who screamed "you suck" and castrated him by saying "oh how original." What? It's an insult. It doesn't have to have wit behind it...it's the god awful truth: YOU SUCK. The bass player seemed real nice though..and i did like the drummer. The lead singer should be shot in the face. He is the worst vocalist I have ever seen in my life.

FireAarro

Actually, none of them look like Casey Affleck.
Unterreiner is tall and surprisingly thin, given that the floor of his closet is stacked high with junk food. Boxes and bags of Doritos, Twinkies and Ho-Hos spill out onto the floor. He has towels around his window to keep out the cold air at night. "I hate this old house," he said bitterly, then changed the name of an unfinished track to "Cold Day."

cesarsalad

mae shi was absolutely terrible. i can't believe more than one person here thinks there is any redeeming aspect to them.
ok, i didn't mind when they'd have melodies once in a while, some of the background music sounded even decent at times, but when the singer opened his stupid mouth it all went to shit again. he has to be the most annoying and bereft of talent singer i have ever seen.

noonchild

I wouldn't say I was into the mai shi, but I still had mounds of admiration for them.  You guys are beyond anal about how music should be.

tom

March 13, 2006, 02:14:58 pm #40 Last Edit: March 13, 2006, 02:22:17 pm by Tom Is Dead
I can't speak for their live show, but the mae-shi is alright. Everyone can't be melodic power chord rock like ozma, guys.

edit - cool new song, the crowd sounded awesome from what i can gather from the audio.

pps - put tape over the mic on ur camera, dont know if you did that

oppppsssss = boo at only 3/4 of natalie portman.

FireAarro

Quote from: cesarsalad on March 13, 2006, 01:35:35 pm
he has to be the most annoying and bereft of talent singer i have ever seen.

He's pretty good at viola
Unterreiner is tall and surprisingly thin, given that the floor of his closet is stacked high with junk food. Boxes and bags of Doritos, Twinkies and Ho-Hos spill out onto the floor. He has towels around his window to keep out the cold air at night. "I hate this old house," he said bitterly, then changed the name of an unfinished track to "Cold Day."

kitten

oh yeah, miriam, i forgot that i met her too.  she's very sweet.

noonchild

>< Doh, yes I met Miriam as well, first one I talked to, super nice.

FireAarro

Quote from: The Other Mike on March 13, 2006, 08:48:20 am
Read any interviews with them and check out ezra's dad's synths (Buchla Synths) for some insight into their music.

Wait... Ezra is Don Buchla's son?

The Other Mike

anyone ragging on the Mae Shi for lacking talent has no fucking clue what they're talking about.  The mae shi is a group of fantastic musicians.  Ezra is a well trained and schooled musician.  They may not be doing things that you understand or enjoy, but they are far from bad.
blackjack1084 (11:02:36 PM): eat my ass
blackjack1084 (11:02:38 PM): and get a life

www.myspace.com/therattlesnakes

savewhatyouare

Quote from: Tom Is Dead on March 13, 2006, 02:14:58 pm
I can't speak for their live show, but the mae-shi is alright. Everyone can't be melodic power chord rock like ozma, guys.

edit - cool new song, the crowd sounded awesome from what i can gather from the audio.

pps - put tape over the mic on ur camera, dont know if you did that

oppppsssss = boo at only 3/4 of natalie portman.

again i say...i'm all for experimental/progressive, I really like God Speed You Black Emperor for example, but the Mae-Shit has to be one of the worst live shows I have ever seen. The mix was all wrong, which led to the over-emphasis on the lead's horrific voice. I'm not saying that they are not accomplished musicians, I'm just saying the songs they play are mediocre...and not very hard to "make up." I listened to a few of their songs cause my friend who loves them is angry that I hate them...and I can honestly say that I can dig it. The live show sounded NOTHING like some of the tracks my friend sent me...in fact, the live show sounded like poop...and I can go so far to say that I'd rather watch an acoustic Ashlee Simpson show..no joke.

As for the guy who I thought looked like Casey Afflect....i was at the balcony and couldnt see very well...but I could have sworn it was Casey from Good Will Hunting.

I will most definately put tape over the mic next time...thanks for the tip.

And yeah..only 3/4 nat cause my camera only goes up to 3 minutes.

beefunger

star's set list!

she wrote "fix keyboard for ken" right above battlescars

oatmeal

Thats awesome. Man I wish I herd last dance live. Thats what I wanted to hear.

I like ozma

they didnt play last dance.

savewhatyouare

maybe last dance was star's way of saying last song?

default_anon

It looks like they were planning to break into Last Dance from In Search Of to me..

PS, Beefunger: Are you the lucky guy who got Star's setlist? I'm totally jealous...

Not Jason

March 13, 2006, 06:34:47 pm #52 Last Edit: March 13, 2006, 06:38:26 pm by Not Jason
I will not stand for Mae Shi bashing.

Truth:Ã,  I consider the Mae Shi to be the best band I listen to.Ã,  I've seen them live, I traveled for like 7 straight hours to do it, and I'd do it again in a heart beat.Ã,  I'd quit my job if they tried to schedule me on the same day as a Mae Shi performance.Ã,  I'd follow them on tour if I had the money and they actually toured.

If you have a tolerance for noise-rock, but didn't like them, it's possible that you needed prerequisite listening that you didn't afford yourself.Ã,  I will readily grant that this is the sort of thing that is hard to be exposed to for the first time in a live setting if you don't know any of the material.Ã,  I knew the moment that I saw Mae Shi was on the bill that probably about half a percent of the people there would appreciate it, and while I appreciate Ozma for getting Mae Shi the exposure, I think they may have been a little off base if they thought it would work out well.

Well, it's a shame I guess.Ã,  Your loss.Ã,  Some day, some day at least one of you will realize how great this band is, and you'll regret having thought them shit.

Edit:

And does everyone here talking about "the lead singer" have any idea who he is?  If you think Ezra is just an incompetant fool, listen to Monstro (specifically, most of the really good songs, and then check the writing credit).
You and I were the extremities
I am the baseball.

beefunger

Quote from: default_anon on March 13, 2006, 04:59:04 pm
It looks like they were planning to break into Last Dance from In Search Of to me..

PS, Beefunger: Are you the lucky guy who got Star's setlist? I'm totally jealous...

you betcha

heysarahsarah

Quote from: les cambrioleurs on March 13, 2006, 12:50:47 am

Ozma blooper reel:
-TERRIBLE mix. Ryen's guitar was a zillion times louder than anyone else, and it was unfortunate, because...
-Ryen's playing was about as sloppy as i've ever seen him play.
-Tetris fizzles out when an amp gets unplugged by the camera dude.

It may be that I've just been to way too many Ozma shows, But this one was overall pretty underwhelming and mediocre. Satisfaction played a much tighter set.

[/buzzkill]

Regarding the Mae Shi:

On one hand, I respect that they're trying to do something really out there and post-modern... On the other hand, If I wanted to watch a group of hopped up lunatics yell at me while masturbating, I'd go to a mental hospital and get the genuine article. Novel, but ultimately not a shtick I ever want to endure again.

All of these points are entirely incorrect.

1) The mix probably sounded off because of where you were standing.  From the balcony, where I was standing, the mix was Samuel.  Bob's recording will show that.  You were probably standing closer to the amp with Ryen's guitar, which might be why it sounded so overpowering.  The sound was not as good on the floor as it was up above.
2)One of Ryen's best performances in recent memory, I really don't know what you are talking about.  He didn't mess up a single song, which is Samuel for Ryen.  Usually he forgets a verse here or there or messes up a chord, which I always find funny, especially since it's usually a song he wrote. 
3)Mae Shi were fucking awesome.  I don't even really like noise, but they are easily the best of their genre.  And live?  Outstanding.  Corey was on fire, and Ezra is always an awesome performer.  I can sorta understand being confused by them if you're not into that kind of music, but worst band ever?  Whatever.  I would hope more Ozma fans would be respectful of a band who is so tight with Ozma. 

Jason, Bob recorded Mae Shi for you.

Also, Godspeed is not experimental.

Also, Satisfaction WERE awesome...ex-Smile members, so of course Dan/Ozma will be huge fans ;)  Overall, easily one of the best shows of their's I've seen.  And that one would make 21 I think.
Bob511i: But SARAH is my <3

No day but today.

Not Jason

I want to marry Bob.  Is that cool?
I am the baseball.

savewhatyouare

experiment, post-punk, canadian, etc.

semantics.

heysarahsarah

Stand in line, buddy.  And I have dibs. ;)

And literally, he said "Oh, I want to record Mae Shi for Jason"

I video recorded on my shitty camera a couple songs...no sound...if they look even halfway decent I'll post 'em :)
Bob511i: But SARAH is my <3

No day but today.

Not Jason

Well, if he reads this:  Thank you, Bob.

He's actually the one who sent me Heartbeaps before I could find a physical copy of it.  Good guy.
I am the baseball.

oatmeal

Quote from: heysarahsarah on March 13, 2006, 06:50:43 pm
Quote from: les cambrioleurs on March 13, 2006, 12:50:47 am

Ozma blooper reel:
-TERRIBLE mix. Ryen's guitar was a zillion times louder than anyone else, and it was unfortunate, because...
-Ryen's playing was about as sloppy as i've ever seen him play.
-Tetris fizzles out when an amp gets unplugged by the camera dude.

It may be that I've just been to way too many Ozma shows, But this one was overall pretty underwhelming and mediocre. Satisfaction played a much tighter set.

[/buzzkill]

Regarding the Mae Shi:

On one hand, I respect that they're trying to do something really out there and post-modern... On the other hand, If I wanted to watch a group of hopped up lunatics yell at me while masturbating, I'd go to a mental hospital and get the genuine article. Novel, but ultimately not a shtick I ever want to endure again.

All of these points are entirely incorrect.

1) The mix probably sounded off because of where you were standing.  From the balcony, where I was standing, the mix was Samuel.  Bob's recording will show that.  You were probably standing closer to the amp with Ryen's guitar, which might be why it sounded so overpowering.  The sound was not as good on the floor as it was up above.
2)One of Ryen's best performances in recent memory, I really don't know what you are talking about.  He didn't mess up a single song, which is Samuel for Ryen.  Usually he forgets a verse here or there or messes up a chord, which I always find funny, especially since it's usually a song he wrote. 
3)Mae Shi were fucking awesome.  I don't even really like noise, but they are easily the best of their genre.  And live?  Outstanding.  Corey was on fire, and Ezra is always an awesome performer.  I can sorta understand being confused by them if you're not into that kind of music, but worst band ever?  Whatever.  I would hope more Ozma fans would be respectful of a band who is so tight with Ozma. 

Jason, Bob recorded Mae Shi for you.

Also, Godspeed is not experimental.

Also, Satisfaction WERE awesome...ex-Smile members, so of course Dan/Ozma will be huge fans ;)  Overall, easily one of the best shows of their's I've seen.  And that one would make 21 I think.

you guys rock.