April 29, 2024, 12:10:38 pm

News:

When's the last time you said "I love you" to a friend!?

Back To The Future

Started by gloom-glaam, May 31, 2006, 03:25:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gloom-glaam

what ozma and pzma related songs songs are about the Back To The Future trilogy?
I think Lorraine might
but i'm pretty sure there are others

Jeff42

Quote from: CantelopeSkiz on May 31, 2006, 03:25:35 pm
I think Lorraine might
You think? :P

"10:04 PM" by Daniel Brummel and the Contraband is "another one about Back to the Future."  Also, "Gameover" has the line "where we go, we don't need roads."

gloom-glaam

yeah, that's pretty much as far as i am
but lorraine is in love with kelvin klein remember
as the character lorraine was in back to the future

Zombie Don Ho

gloom-glaam

ooooooooooo
good call
mon bad

Not Jason

Yeah, there is absolutely no doubt that "Lorraine" is about BTTF.
- "she's in love with calvin klein" (obvious)
- "i'm rockin' out but i'm just making noise" (i'm not positive about this one, but i've speculated it's a refference to the infamous Johnny B. Goode performance)
- "Lorraine, my destiny" (a refference to the line george attempts to use on Lorraine, but fouls up)
- "16 years and what do you get?" (this one, if i'm right, it obscure.  it's clearly a refference to the song, 16 tons, but i think furthermore, it might be refferencing a part in the movie where the sign outside of the record store is advertising "16 tons" as a recent release.)
- "Party like it's 1955" (because BTTF takes place primarily in 1955)

I may post later with more from other songs if nobody beats me to them.
You and I were the extremities
I am the baseball.

Kyosho

May 31, 2006, 07:53:36 pm #6 Last Edit: May 31, 2006, 07:59:18 pm by Kyosho
An obvious one is In Search of 1988. "Warp me back, at 88, if only for one day." You know, 88mph.

I know there's more, but that's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Quote from: Not Jason on May 31, 2006, 07:48:11 pm- "16 years and what do you get?" (this one, if i'm right, it obscure.  it's clearly a refference to the song, 16 tons, but i think furthermore, it might be refferencing a part in the movie where the sign outside of the record store is advertising "16 tons" as a recent release.)

Er..well.. Marty is 16 in BTTF, as is Lorraine and George in 1955. Supposed to be, at least. Maybe Lorraine and George are a little older, but I know Marty is supposed to be 16.
I'll be rising high above the earth so soon, and the tears I cry might turn into the rain that gently falls upon your window. You'll never know.

Not Jason

Quote from: Kyosho on May 31, 2006, 07:53:36 pm
Quote from: Not Jason on May 31, 2006, 07:48:11 pm- "16 years and what do you get?" (this one, if i'm right, it obscure.Ã,  it's clearly a refference to the song, 16 tons, but i think furthermore, it might be refferencing a part in the movie where the sign outside of the record store is advertising "16 tons" as a recent release.)

Er..well.. Marty is 16 in BTTF, as is Lorraine and George in 1955. Supposed to be, at least. Maybe Lorraine and George are a little older, but I know Marty is supposed to be 16.

Well, yes, you're right, but our explanations are not mutually exclusive.  While I think there was a conscious nod to marty's suposed age (and i'm only assuming you're right, but I think you are, and he is 16 in the movie), the line is definitely a nod to the song in question.  It's very blatant.

"sixteen tons and whattayaget, another day older and deeper in debt"
"sexteen years and whattayaget, another ex and deeper in debt"
I am the baseball.

I like ozma

do we have another "paul is dead" hoax at hand?

Not Jason

Quote from: I like ozma. on June 01, 2006, 09:54:37 am
do we have another "paul is dead" hoax at hand?

well, considering Daniel Brummel is very open about his BTTF influences, I wouldn't say this classifies similarly.
I am the baseball.

///

not to mention that Daniel cited the inspiration for Lorraine in the song meaning section of the old site.

Seb

I don't think you can get much more blatant than Daniel saying "This is another song about Back to the Future" in the intro to one of the versions of "10.04pm".

Not least because, by saying "another", he suggests he's written more than one...
"Just tell me one thing - is this business, or is it personal? Because if it's business, then I'll go away happily. But if it's personal? I'll go away. But I won't be happy."

Not Jason

I am the baseball.

I like ozma

william campbell is not however.

Nordel

The Power of Love:
"The power of love is a curious thing
Make a one man weep, make another man sing"

Come Home Andrea:
"The world we live in is so interesting
Girl make a one man cry, make another man sing"

I like ozma

is the power of love from back to the future?

Nordel

Yeah. It's at the very beginning when Marty is hookey-bobbing the jeep to get to school. It's also the song that his band plays in the audition for the school dance. It's in the closing credits as well I believe.

Not Jason

And as far as I can tell, the song was originally released on the back to the future soundtrack.
I am the baseball.

RaRPT

Fantastic Max

I think Huey Lewis was one of the judges at the talent show auditions.

I have the trilogy dvd box set thing, and I believe that was one of the things they mentioned.
"Cross my heart, hope to die, stick a pizza in my mouth."
-Donkey Lips

Nordel

"I'm sorry, you're just too darn loud."

ironbird

An obvious one is In Search of 1988. "Warp me back, at 88, if only for one day." You know, 88mph.

back to 88 has nothing to do with bttf.  the song is based on a shirt  that one of the band members had and lost to a woman.  bttf didn't even take place in 1988, it took place in 85.  88 mph is important.  you should listen to the love apple song 88mph.

"warp me back to 88, if only for one day."
If you're reading this then you have no life!  Go ask a girl out or something!ãâ,¬â,¬Ã£â,¬â,¬Ã£ÂÂ¾Ã£Ââ€˜Ã£Ââ€žÃ£ÂÂ¬

Not Jason

Quote from: ironbird on June 05, 2006, 05:40:17 pm

back to 88 has nothing to do with bttf.Ã,  the song is based on a shirtÃ,  that one of the band members had and lost to a woman.Ã,  bttf didn't even take place in 1988, it took place in 85.Ã,  88 mph is important.Ã,  you should listen to the love apple song 88mph.

um...

you are partially right.  the song is based on a t-shirt that says "in search of 1988".  Miriam bought it and eventually gave it to Daniel.  I don't know about the "lost it to a girl" part.  I think that might have been imagined.

The line is "at 88" though.  Listen closely, it's definitely "at" and not "to".  It is most likely a refference to 88mph, the speed at which time travel occurs in back to the future.
I am the baseball.

I like ozma

i wonder if their rarest song "Hey McFly!" has anything to do with back to the future.

Colt45

Quote from: I like ozma. on June 05, 2006, 07:50:09 pm
i wonder if their rarest song "Hey McFly!" has anything to do with back to the future.

b-sides don't count dick
Senor Beavis! Donde Esta Tu Hall Pass?

Not Jason

Quote from: Colt45 on June 05, 2006, 09:40:01 pm

b-sides don't count dick

B-Sides do count.

That's not actually a song right?  I've not been keeping up on the new stuff too religiously, so for all I know...
I am the baseball.

Seb

Quote from: Not Jason on June 03, 2006, 12:05:43 pm
And as far as I can tell, the song was originally released on the back to the future soundtrack.

Yes, it's basically the "theme" song. I've got the 7" single, and it's covered in BTTF logos and branding. Well spotted on the "make another man sing" line - I remember spotting that ages ago, but had forgotten about it.

Quote from: ironbird on June 05, 2006, 05:40:17 pm

back to 88 has nothing to do with bttf.  the song is based on a shirt  that one of the band members had and lost to a woman.  bttf didn't even take place in 1988, it took place in 85.  88 mph is important.  you should listen to the love apple song 88mph.

You are, as Jason has pointed out, a world of wrong - yes, the song isn't about BTTF, but the "warp me back at 88" line is a clear reference.
"Just tell me one thing - is this business, or is it personal? Because if it's business, then I'll go away happily. But if it's personal? I'll go away. But I won't be happy."

I like ozma

b-sides don't count dick

isnt lorraine a "b-side"?

amish

http://www.ozmafans.com/forum/index.php?topic=78.0

Track 1 of Songs of (In)Audible Trucks and Cars. Not a B-Side.

Not Jason

Quote from: I like ozma. on June 06, 2006, 08:08:26 am

b-sides don't count dick

isnt lorraine a "b-side"?

"B-side" is a tricky word, because technically it's not applicable to any of Ozma's catelog (B-Sides are non-album tracks released as extras on singles). Ã, However, it's been decades since anyone has really been uptight about that definition, so why should I bother being the exception. Ã, Anyway, "Lorraine" is generally considered a non-album track (or "b-side" if you swing that way). Ã, It was released officially both as a cassette single and on the demo album Songs of Inaudible Trucks and Cars, but both those items are so rare and ridiculously hard to find that they may as well not exist.

/nerdery
I am the baseball.