April 29, 2024, 11:25:41 am

News:

Don't smoke m3th!

New Ozma Songs on Myspace

Started by Fantastic Max, September 07, 2006, 09:06:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Fantastic Max

September 07, 2006, 09:06:59 pm Last Edit: September 07, 2006, 09:14:31 pm by Fantastic Max
Check it out, yo.

http://www.myspace.com/ozma

-Straight Flush (Brilliant)
-Barriers (Shatters some assumptions that it'd be the Yes Dear's "Barriers". Not bad.)

Contrary to my doubts that I'd like the new stuff...I really like this. Damn.
"Cross my heart, hope to die, stick a pizza in my mouth."
-Donkey Lips

k24

why did you have any doubts?

are you that pessimestic?

WhoYouCallinWeez

LOVE them. great songs. very excited.

k24

Fantastic Max

Quote from: k24 on September 07, 2006, 09:23:35 pm
why did you have any doubts?

are you that pessimestic?
Yeah, apparently I'm that *pessimistic.
Actually, what we've had to judge, I didn't really like that "new song" that they did at some shows, the one that people were debating the lyrics over. Wasn't too sure how the new sound would be.

But I like this stuff. A lot.
-Donkey Lips

jvstin

i am having a love affair with "straight flush"

the 5/5/06 version of this song was great... but this is taking it to another level.
"in the immortal words of Thomas G. Warrior: ughhhhh!!"

ozmadic

i like straight flush...beautiful and rockin...kid icarus is beautiful as well...dans voice sounds stronger than ever...i like the dirsection theyre going...wens the new album come out???

yoshigaki

They're musically interesting.  And I like the screamy vocals at the end of that second one.  ...But they're not very memorable.

k24

Quote from: yoshigaki on September 07, 2006, 11:06:05 pm
...But they're not very memorable.

"it'll never be as good as last season"

jvstin

Quote from: ozmadic on September 07, 2006, 10:46:06 pm
i like straight flush...beautiful and rockin...kid icarus is beautiful as well...dans voice sounds stronger than ever...i like the dirsection theyre going...wens the new album come out???
wait, there's a new studio/demo version of kid icarus?

as for the new songs not being memorable, i think 'straight flush' is pretty fuckin' memorable.
"in the immortal words of Thomas G. Warrior: ughhhhh!!"

Jeff42

Wow, Straight Flush is at least twice as awesome as the already good live version I have, and after one listen I love Barriers too.

Zombie Don Ho

it's so nice to hear Ozma tracks with a decent drum sound for once! I think these are both stone jams, as they say. I'll probably have more thoughts after listening a few more times. I am also now excitedly anticipating hearing the other two songs they recorded.

brad

i thought they recorded 8 songs?

Zombie Don Ho

Colt45

Quote from: yoshigaki on September 07, 2006, 11:06:05 pm
They're musically interesting.Ã,  And I like the screamy vocals at the end of that second one.Ã,  ...But they're not very memorable.

i didn't want to be the first to say it.

agreed.
Senor Beavis! Donde Esta Tu Hall Pass?

Fantastic Max

September 08, 2006, 09:52:18 pm #15 Last Edit: September 08, 2006, 09:54:03 pm by Fantastic Max
Damn..on Straight Flush..at about 2:29 after Dan's scream...the guitars...doing intervals or whatever it is...sounds so badass. The only word i can really come up with is 'beautiful' in how I think that part is.

I'm so gay, haha.

Getting excited at the fact that I'll get to see it in a couple weeks.
-Donkey Lips

tom

audiotohear

Quote from: ozmadic on September 07, 2006, 10:46:06 pm

I talked to Star recently and she said that hopefully
the new album will be out by next summer.

After hearing a song like Straight Flush
I highly anticipate the new album.

I saw them play
"Hands On The Wheel" and "Uptown" (with lyrics).
I hope they put out demos for these songs as well.

WhoYouCallinWeez

i talked to Ryen at the Dallas show, when i asked about the new album, i said "any time soon? maybe a few years?" he just shrugged and said "i dunno". its good to hear Star put a time frame on it. So hopefully a new Rentals and Ozma album in 07. nice.

malcolm

listened to straight flush and i found it boring :-[
"A little while and I will be gone from among you, when I cannot tell. From nowhere we came, into nowhere we go. What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night. It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime. It is the little shadow which runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset." -- Crowfoot

Lando_Calrissian

Both OK. I don't think I'd like either to make it onto an album, though. I wouldn't say they are boring, but they don't particularly excite me (after 2 listens).

- Tim "gun-jump" Collins

Pro-active.

Fantastic Max

Do you guys mega-prefer the poppy Ozma songs? Just wondering if that's your basis on the opinion.
-Donkey Lips

malcolm

not particularly, i really enjoy battlescars which doesn't fit the category of power pop because its a bit grungy with its alternating of rocking out to slowing it down with a sad melody. these songs just don't excite me at all or affect my mood in anyway.
"A little while and I will be gone from among you, when I cannot tell. From nowhere we came, into nowhere we go. What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night. It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime. It is the little shadow which runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset." -- Crowfoot

Zombie Don Ho

There's definitely a section of people that are going to be pissed they're going further away from that 'classic ozma' kind of sound (harmonies, cutesy shit)... maybe even moreso than how people didn't like 'Borderline'.

Which is a shame, because this stuff is just as, if not more interesting.

WhoYouCallinWeez

i agree, im in the slim minority that doesnt think R&R3 is the best of theres, i listen to Borderline the most, followed by most of Doubble Donkey, not all of it thou. R&R3 does rock, but i prefer the newer style.

I like ozma

i only listened to both of them once, but i didnt like either, i really hope they grow on me

Kyosho

September 11, 2006, 01:32:27 pm #26 Last Edit: September 11, 2006, 01:34:55 pm by Kyosho
I realize a lot of it has to do with the way both Dan and Ryen sing now... But.. Straight Flush sounds a bit like a Gone With the Ghosts song, and Barriers a Yes Dear song. Each have a bit of Ozma flair thrown in. I don't know. I think both songs could use some harmonies. I mean, you can hear some very slightly harmonies in certain parts, but not enough. As it is now, neither song really grabs me. But I have faith that future versions might be better.

And I'd like to hear a demo of a new song where Dan and Ryen both sing, not just one of them. Their voices have both progressed and I think it'd be awesome to hear them playing off each other.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I do like the new spacey/futuristic sound in Barriers. And the drums are great in both songs, as mentioned.
I'll be rising high above the earth so soon, and the tears I cry might turn into the rain that gently falls upon your window. You'll never know.

gloom-glaam

amish

DDD/RRp3 is where I wish Ozma would return to...

New stuff isn't exactly boring, but (if the entire album is like the new songs) I don't think it's going to last long in my cd player.

justin09

I was skeptical at first, but I really enjoy both songs.