May 01, 2024, 10:32:13 am

News:

Maxwell T: @AmishJoe wait are you Jason

New Ozma Blogs -- New Songs/Mastering

Started by brad, March 13, 2007, 04:03:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

brad

Ok so Ozma has posted some new blogs.  Looks like we're going to be able to hear 4 new songs this week.  It all looks dandy and sweet....except one thing that was a bit confusing was the mastering of Eponine as a single.  Pretty strange. 

CT-700

March 13, 2007, 04:40:49 pm #1 Last Edit: March 13, 2007, 04:48:37 pm by CT-700
Muy intersante. I had a feeling something was coming up because they took off all their songs except Wake Up last thursday.

EDIT: Remember when Ryen was talking about releasing Eponine as a single during that one podcast? I figured he was joking, but this must be what he was talking about.

The Argyle Rebellion

I'm excited...

If we are getting Eponine as a single, one must wonder if it is going to be the Spending Time version or a new, re-recorded version.  If it's re-recorded, I would hope that the horns would be replaced with something different... different strokes for different folks, but I really think that the horns are out of place.

Also, on the fact that there's a song with Rachel Haden... is it also then possible that Wake Up could be carried over to this album.  I could care less, really.  The version we already have is good and even if it is a new, as yet unreleased song, I'm sure it will be great.  Anything with a Haden in it is good.

I can't wait for the new songs... better yet, can't wait for May 15th.

*begins planning Ozma tailgate party in front of the local Best Buy*

*realizes people are lame out here and won't know who Ozma is*

*scraps party... will still camp out*

CT-700

Ozma had updated the Eponine blog with some new promo shots.

Not Jason

They rerecorded "Eponine".  The song featuring Rachel Haden is not "Wake Up".  There might be another redundant track on this album, but that's not why Rachel Haden's there.

It's not uncommon for bands to rerecord and/or rerelease old songs when they sign to a bigger label.  I can think of more than a few cases of it (though, to be fair, most of them involve Less Than Jake).  The funny thing about Eponine is that they've been playing that song for more than half a decade by now.  It was already old when they finally got around to recording it the first time.
You and I were the extremities
I am the baseball.

CT-700

March 15, 2007, 07:58:29 am #5 Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 08:02:51 am by CT-700
I wonder what the new version is like, it must be semi to radically different considering the official recording is in no way bad quality.

Quote from: CT-700 on January 15, 2007, 06:25:22 am
After Ryen was tuning the guitar in the very beginning, it sounded like Kenn was playing his "Ghost Without a Dream" on guitar.

I just realized this could be more than possible because live Jose could play drums (because didn't he play drums in "Aberdeen"?) while Kenn plays guitar and sings.

Not Jason

I don't know a whole lot about Aberdeen besides that they existed at one point, but I was under the impression that Jose played guitar on that.  I could be dead wrong.

Thing about the existing version of Eponine is that while it may not suck, it was recorded and produced in a completely different session and with a different drummer.  It's hard to put old recordings side by side with new ones and make it sound natural.  Especially when you consider some of the kind of stupid production choices that were made all over Spending Time.  From what I can tell, Ozma is less than happy with the sound of that album as a whole, so I think the production on this is going to sound a lot different.
You and I were the extremities
I am the baseball.

hipsun

eponine changes.

recorded to a click
different intro drum beat
verse 1 goes straight to vocals
prechorus 2 different drum beat
shorter breakdown section
shorter outro/guitar solo
and obviously different (hopefully better) production

old version 4.30 (too long for radio)
new version 3.30 (perfect for radio)

The Other Mike

Is it just implied that there's no saxophone on there? I sure hope so.
blackjack1084 (11:02:36 PM): eat my ass
blackjack1084 (11:02:38 PM): and get a life

www.myspace.com/therattlesnakes

jvstin

"in the immortal words of Thomas G. Warrior: ughhhhh!!"

CT-700

Quote from: cupid stunt on March 15, 2007, 12:55:42 pm
Quote from: hipsun on March 15, 2007, 11:38:22 am
shorter outro/guitar solo

new version 3.30 (perfect for radio)
>:(

There goes that "classic rock" flavor it used to have. Although I am sure they will still include the long solo live.

Oh and Jason when I said he played drums for Aberdeen, I might of been getting confused with when he played drums in Yes Dear for a very short period of time. Plus when I was typing that I was home sick with a fever of 103 degrees, so anything I said back then could of been induced by my sickness. Another thing that makes me think that he might play drums live on that track is that he put up that video on his myspace of him playing drums.

FireAarro

Star looks Samuel in the new pics. Also she has huge buttons.

I liked the Eponine horns actually, especially the baritone sax. They were pretty subtle.
Unterreiner is tall and surprisingly thin, given that the floor of his closet is stacked high with junk food. Boxes and bags of Doritos, Twinkies and Ho-Hos spill out onto the floor. He has towels around his window to keep out the cold air at night. "I hate this old house," he said bitterly, then changed the name of an unfinished track to "Cold Day."

CT-700

You know, last time (back in September) when Ozma said they were putting up new music they said it would be up before the end of the week and it was put up before friday. I was expecting the same, and now its Saturday and there still no music.  :'(

I do have to remember though, while its 9:49 while I'll typing this, its still 6:49 where Ozma is. So hopefully we get it sometime today.

Indoor Fireworks

If I don't hear new Ozma songs by the end of the day I will stop listening to them forever.
You have balls. I like balls.

hipsun

bye.

nothing you haven't heard in some form is ready to be posted.

Zombie Don Ho

i think he might have been trying to make a funny.

I Like Ozma

no, he was not trying to be funny, he has already threatened ozma once.
Quote from: Elliott on December 09, 2006, 03:02:12 pm
Good point, too bad theyre gonna criticize you now.

Indoor Fireworks

I try to threaten my favorite bands as frequently as possible.
You have balls. I like balls.

Cirdan

Quote from: Not Jason on March 14, 2007, 10:35:27 pm
It's not uncommon for bands to rerecord and/or rerelease old songs when they sign to a bigger label.  I can think of more than a few cases of it (though, to be fair, most of them involve Less Than Jake).

The first rereleased song that comes into my mind is Green Day - Welcome to Paradise. Published first on Kerplunk, 1992, then on their Major Label Debut Dookie 2 years later. It was even a single from Dookie. just not sure if it was the first or the second single....

So, Pasadena will most likely go Multi-Platinum, have 3 No 1 Modern Rock Hits and will totally revive Popwerpop in the Mainstream Music Biz ^^

funwithsponges

Might have been third or fourth, actually.  Basket Case, When I Come Around, Longview, Welcome to Paradise, She were all released.

DougieZero

Quote from: funwithsponges on March 28, 2007, 05:11:53 am
Might have been third or fourth, actually.  Basket Case, When I Come Around, Longview, Welcome to Paradise, She were all released.

Welcome to Paradise was the 3rd single released from Dookie, but I remember a lot of alternative radio stations (remember those?  :D) playing it right when the album got released. I think they released a promo single long before the commercial single... and rock singles weren't really singles, just really expensive imports!
"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members."

Cirdan

according to wikipedia, it was second single, after longview, before Basket Case. and I didn't need to import them :P however i wasn't really into Green Day back then... but we are kind of off topic right now ^^