April 19, 2024, 06:57:37 am

News:

When's the last time you said "I love you" to a friend!?

OZMA Reunion Tour Videos!!! (UPDATE JUNE 2)

Started by 8600, April 25, 2007, 11:57:02 am

Previous topic - Next topic

FireAarro

Hey Samuel, thanks for the vid. Where did you get the audio from? The vocals are too loud IMO :( but the footage is sweet.
Unterreiner is tall and surprisingly thin, given that the floor of his closet is stacked high with junk food. Boxes and bags of Doritos, Twinkies and Ho-Hos spill out onto the floor. He has towels around his window to keep out the cold air at night. "I hate this old house," he said bitterly, then changed the name of an unfinished track to "Cold Day."

Yeah, they never played "D Song," but they opened every show with "Natalie Portman."

Well, Gabe Dyson--who I thanked in the credits--set up the audio recording for us.  He's a friend of my friend Flick from VA Beach.  We had difficultly recording acceptable audio from the actual reunion shows, so I called my friend Flick in VA since he'd done work at the Norva and asked him what we could do.  He sent me Gabe, who had been "experimenting" with this "new technique" for recording shows.  Honestly, I have no idea exactly what he did.  However, he explained that instead of ripping straight from the soundboard, he set up 2 condenser mics--one picking up the highs, and one picking up the lows, and then mixed both of those over the direct soundboard recording.

That's really all I know, but it seemed like that isn't a widely practiced thing.  If you're actually interested or need to know details or something, I can get it touch with him.  It worked beautifully well in my opinion.  Compared to the subpar audio we took from the shows at the Knitting Factory, it sounds like live album material.  The fact that it's actually usable is great.  The other stuff wasn't terrible, but it sounded more like good bootleg quality than professional recording as I would have liked.

danorganplayer

Hey How about Motorology?..Didnt they play that at the reunion, or COOL song or w/e it was titled...

If you can get any of that, that'd be cool, if not...Id say go for, natalie portman or Domino effect..idk

CT-700

Quote from: Samuel on April 28, 2007, 09:14:06 pm
Yeah, they never played "D Song," but they opened every show with "Natalie Portman."

Compared to the subpar audio we took from the shows at the Knitting Factory, it sounds like live album material.  The fact that it's actually usable is great.  The other stuff wasn't terrible, but it sounded more like good bootleg quality than professional recording as I would have liked.

Usely following Natalie Portman was Spending Time, so I think both of those could make great videos.

Regarding the audio: I would love audio from a full show using that recording technique, it sounds Samuel. Ozma is such a great live band, but a lot of the subtle nuances gets blurred on regular bootlegs, however that technique beautifully captured every aspect of the live performance.

So thanks again Samuel.

aqueous_chinchilla

hey dudes, I've been reading this forum / digging ozma for quite some time, but I just decided to register because I finally have something to say.
I'd love to see a video of Continental Drift, if they played it at all on this tour (they definitely didn't in Milwaukee). As far as I know there's no video of it online and it's the best song on DDD IMHO. Thanks!

aqueous_chinchilla

P.S. Samuel, the Wake Up video was awesome -- great job with the sound

CT-700

Quote from: aqueous_chinchilla on April 30, 2007, 04:55:14 pm
hey dudes, I've been reading this forum / digging ozma for quite some time, but I just decided to register because I finally have something to say.
I'd love to see a video of Continental Drift, if they played it at all on this tour (they definitely didn't in Milwaukee). As far as I know there's no video of it online and it's the best song on DDD IMHO. Thanks!

Welcome to the boards aqueous_chinchilla.

I believe they might have played Continental Drift occasionally. They played it at the Irregardless show, and there some footage of it during the All Ages Night video (which was of course filmed during the tour) which can be found here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow9IVZzWU4c

ross

Quote from: CT-700 on April 30, 2007, 05:10:07 pm

I believe they might have played Continental Drift occasionally. They played it at the Irregardless show, and there some footage of it during the All Ages Night video (which was of course filmed during the tour) which can be found here:

that midget from "Corona" makes me want to kill. >:(

tom

Quote from: ross alex on April 30, 2007, 06:37:59 pm
Quote from: CT-700 on April 30, 2007, 05:10:07 pm

that midget from "Corona" makes me want to kill. >:(

HAHA! Yeah, he's such a dude.

Fantastic Max

Haha, I'm in Sam's video.

The Pete and Pete-looking guy(Satisfaction's bassist) leaped out into the audience, right on top of me and I do believe I touched his butt, haha.
"Cross my heart, hope to die, stick a pizza in my mouth."
-Donkey Lips

Kyosho

I'll be rising high above the earth so soon, and the tears I cry might turn into the rain that gently falls upon your window. You'll never know.

May 03, 2007, 03:36:21 pm #41 Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 03:40:18 pm by Samuel

Hey guys!  I updated with 2 new videos of RRP3 songs.  First and last songs they played at the Norva on 8/6/06.  However, it's just raw footage this time I'm sorry to say.  I've been working on getting together some more interesting stuff, but it's a lot of time just cutting up multiple versions of the same song.  More stuff will be on it's way next week!

Hope it's not too shaky.  When I shoot stuff like this, I shoot with extensive editing in mind.  Believe it or not, this one is LESS jumpy than most of my other stuff.  Hope you don't get sick! :P

CT-700

The Other Mike

Is it just me or does Dan's voice sound way different now?  It's lower and it sounds like he's doing this semi-ironic "rock voice" kind of thing. It sort of bothers me... mostly on wake up because the vocal melodies on that are so good on the album.  And it's not just a live/album disparity because I saw them back in the day and he didn't sound like that.  Maybe it's just age and cigarettes.
blackjack1084 (11:02:36 PM): eat my ass
blackjack1084 (11:02:38 PM): and get a life

www.myspace.com/therattlesnakes

CT-700

Quote from: The Other Mike on May 03, 2007, 04:38:52 pm
Is it just me or does Dan's voice sound way different now?  It's lower and it sounds like he's doing this semi-ironic "rock voice" kind of thing. It sort of bothers me... mostly on wake up because the vocal melodies on that are so good on the album.  And it's not just a live/album disparity because I saw them back in the day and he didn't sound like that.  Maybe it's just age and cigarettes.

I agree with you. I used to think Ryen's voice sounded a lot different post-reunion, but now I think its much more similar to his younger voice than Dan's current voice is to his younger voice. Actually I think I might actually prefer Ryen's current singing style. I think Dans voice has to do with all of the above + its more of the folk style he acquired during his solo stint. I don't dislike it, but since its sounds so much lower, his harmonies and falsettos on old songs are little lacking (ie: "you can't see me across this great divide" from live performances). I am never going to smoke. I understand some singers smoke to make their voices raspier/deeper, but I just feel its way to limiting.

Of course if Dan reads this I will feel like a completely horrible person. Sorry Dan.

funwithsponges

We're not allowed to have negative opinions about Ozma or their music?

tom

I'm the contrary, I think Dan's voice sounds better now than it did before.

brad

Quote from: tom on May 03, 2007, 08:18:50 pm

IAWTP

tom

Quote from: brad on May 03, 2007, 08:32:56 pm
Quote from: tom on May 03, 2007, 08:18:50 pm

IAWTP
I had to look up what that meant.

June 02, 2007, 08:39:55 am #49 Last Edit: June 02, 2007, 08:41:25 am by Tim/Rodney/Zach/Andrew/Rome
Sorry dudes.  I've been ridiculously busy with legitimate work, being out of town, redoing legitimate work, my birthday, my mom's birthday, and making hilarious posts on the Off Topic part of the forum.
I have a few things, but I figure it's worthwhile to release this now since it's long because I know a lot of you will want it-- and a lot of you are probably in it as well.

This is a 3 camera edit of Ozma's encore at The Knitting Factory at their official reunion show last year.  The audio is a mix from all 3 cameras and it isn't perfect.  However, I think it works well enough, and it is the actual audio from the show.  If you're an audiophile this probably isn't for you, but if you're not too spoiled I think you'll enjoy it. :)  It maxes out when it gets crazy, but I really do think it's still worth watching.

Also, it's around 15 minutes long, so the file is 90 megs.  If you'd like, I can send you a smaller one, but it's still 30 megs, and I think if you can, it's certainly worth it to download the larger file as it's the best quality.

The songs are Battlescars, Rocks & In Search of 1988.

VanSlegr Fan

wow thanks alot! your time and effort is GREATLY appreciated. i love all the other videos too, and i wasnt expecting any more, THANKS ALOT!
Ryen Slegr and Daniel Brummel could eat a can of Alphabet Soup and poopoo out better lyrics than Rivers Cuomo

I save my best for last and after that don't even ask me - Beck

Jeff42

Thanks, that's a very nice video.  Wouldn't you be able to use the MP3s that are available for the show for better quality sound, though?

June 02, 2007, 01:30:15 pm #52 Last Edit: June 02, 2007, 02:54:30 pm by Tim/Rodney/Zach/Andrew/Rome
Quote from: Jeff42 on June 02, 2007, 10:56:11 am
Thanks, that's a very nice video.  Wouldn't you be able to use the MP3s that are available for the show for better quality sound, though?

Thanks!  Bob was actually nice enough to send me the flac recording of the show-- so ultimately, we could mix that with the camera audio to get a better track.  However, we want to keep higher quality options available for later in case of a DVD etc, and not just web leaks.

EDIT:  And, there will certainly be more.  There's a lot of fun footage from those shows.  I'm just sorry I had trouble meeting the new-video-every-week-or-two goal that we set.  I'm glad you guys enjoyed it.

CT-700

Well it was definately worth the wait, so don't worry about it  :)

ozmadic

that "midget" from corona shreds the bass.