April 29, 2024, 03:39:27 pm

News:

Don't smoke m3th!

Pasadena Album Synopsis

Started by Fantastic Max, May 02, 2007, 04:05:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

cesarsalad

Quote from: CT-700 on May 03, 2007, 03:36:49 pm
Jason said some not nice things about caesarsalad and that they had something to do with the Spending Time leaks. I was merely inquiring about the such.

i don't really remember anymore. everyone still hates me at the weezer forums but i havent posted there in a year and a half. i think i said something here about liking the green album, and then everyone questioned my musical taste and sexual orientation.

about the stotb leak.. i think i gave it a slightly negative review based on a few listens. many people jumped down my throat. a few days later i realized i was wrong and that the album was actually really good. i also laboriously typed in, by hand, a long review from an LA-area magazine, and scanned the album booklet when i bought it (i think a day before it was supposed to be released), to few replies/accolades. oh well.

cesarsalad

also, is there a reason that Pasadena is so hard to spell? It's spelled "Pasadema" here, and "Pasedena" in the other thread. what the hell?

- Cesar, from PASADENA

Fantastic Max

Quote from: cesarsalad on May 03, 2007, 07:35:07 pm
also, is there a reason that Pasadena is so hard to spell? It's spelled "Pasadema" here, and "Pasedena" in the other thread. what the hell?

- Cesar, from PASADENA

Duely noted/changed.

Haha, I never noticed..guess I had the "m" from "Album" stuck in my head. Sorry for throwing your whole world upside down.
"Cross my heart, hope to die, stick a pizza in my mouth."
-Donkey Lips

cesarsalad

Quote from: Fantastic Max on May 03, 2007, 08:41:56 pm
Quote from: cesarsalad on May 03, 2007, 07:35:07 pm

- Cesar, from PASADENA

Duely noted/changed.

Haha, I never noticed..guess I had the "m" from "Album" stuck in my head. Sorry for throwing your whole world upside down.
just teasing man

heysarahsarah

Guys, don't beg for the album here, or announce you have it to distribute.  I will delete all such posts.

Do what you want off board, but lets respect the band here, k?  Cool. :)
Bob511i: But SARAH is my <3

No day but today.

Fantastic Max

Quote from: heysarahsarah on May 03, 2007, 09:22:11 pm
Guys, don't beg for the album here, or announce you have it to distribute.  I will delete all such posts.

Do what you want off board, but lets respect the band here, k?  Cool. :)
Good call.
-Donkey Lips

danorganplayer

Thanks...Thats better than most people have shared..!!!

I appreciate that a lot!

danorganplayer

Yeah motorology sounds really really good ..so far its my favorite from the album...I love the end of it..

danorganplayer

Yeah the solo..is toned down, and synth ish...but I seriously love around 2:37 - till the end of the song OWNS..

tom

Hmm....I wonder if these videos are being posted by Cesar Salad?

...fuckin retards.

I Like Ozma

i think what i dont like about this album (from what i have heard) is that the melodies aren't performed in the ozma way with the keyboard/guitar parallel thing like flight of the bootymaster or who knows what else but every song pre spending time on the borderline and some on spending time.
Quote from: Elliott on December 09, 2006, 03:02:12 pm
Good point, too bad theyre gonna criticize you now.

heysarahsarah

K, lemme splain in plain English:

Do.not.post.or.link.tracks.to.the.album.

Of any kind.  I will delete all of that.  Honestly.  Please keep it off of this board.

I will not stop discussion of the album, especially since plenty of people have heard the album through legitimate means, and I will not police what anyone does off board, but no links of any kind, no begging and no announcements that you have the album to distribute or know where it can be distributed. 

No day but today.

SteveLikesOzma

Eh...I really wanted to love this album...but I can't. It's just not as fun or catchy as the others. It ends on such a downtrodden note...I Wonder and Straight Flush should have their places switched. A lot of the songs have really awkward pacing/structure, like the verses drag on for too long. Heartache is by far the best track on it, following by Incarnation Blues and No One Needs To Know. Idunno, maybe I need to listen more, but right now i'm really let down.

heysarahsarah

I know, it's just a slippery slope.  It's best to have a clear policy so I don't have to debate whether or not something is appropriate.

No day but today.

heysarahsarah

I love Straight Flush. 

That's not much discussion, since I actually haven't heard the new album apart from the songs played live and posted on myspace, but I love that song.  Dan's voice is awesome in it. 

No day but today.

SteveLikesOzma

I already take back what i said.

Upon further listening i fucking love it haha

But I made a playlist with I Wonder as the last song and i think it works MUCH better.

Fantastic Max

May 04, 2007, 06:25:47 pm #46 Last Edit: May 04, 2007, 06:36:11 pm by Fantastic Max
Quote from: SteveLikesOzma on May 04, 2007, 05:20:29 pm
Eh...I really wanted to love this album...but I can't. It's just not as fun or catchy as the others. It ends on such a downtrodden note...I Wonder and Straight Flush should have their places switched. A lot of the songs have really awkward pacing/structure, like the verses drag on for too long. Heartache is by far the best track on it, following by Incarnation Blues and No One Needs To Know. Idunno, maybe I need to listen more, but right now i'm really let down.
Quote from: SteveLikesOzma on May 04, 2007, 06:13:35 pm

But I made a playlist with I Wonder as the last song and i think it works MUCH better.

Eh, I'm done with cliche album-endings with the slow emotional song at the end. "I Wonder" is fine where it is. I like ending on an awesome note, and I believe Straight Flush meets that criteria.. Although I am supremely burned out at Ozma's never-ending desire to play 1988/Rocks at the end of almost every show..It bugs me muchly.

Oh and to your initial post(even though you took it back)..Dude, I love the album, it took a little bit to grow on me, but now it's effing Samuel, and although it's not "old" Ozma, like so many people complained about, it's a nice step into the future, and it works. Barriers and Fight the Darkness are still real downpoints in the album for me, sorry for any hardcore fans of these.

EDIT: Those of you messaging/email'ing me about the album/mp3s/advance copies. Stop it please, 'tis annoying.
I feel the same as the guy without the cd said, that he didn't mind if he had to wait till the album came out. I've always felt strongly about waiting till a band's ready for people to hear their stuff. There are reasons a release date is the date that it is.
If i didn't already get the album from a live show, I wouldn't bitch about other people getting to hear it first..I'd wait till the date and keep quiet. I know these songs are long-awaited but seriously...Less than 2 weeks, man..come on.
-Donkey Lips

tom

Quote from: SteveLikesOzma on May 04, 2007, 06:13:35 pm

Dude, I was going to tell you to give it a couple listens. I think it rocks even more, the more I hear it.

Song by Song album synopsis to be posted soon.

The Other Mike

"Release dates exist for a reason.  Obviously the band doesn't want you to listen to the album until that date because the album won't be as good.  It couldn't be because of production, marketing, or legal reasons that a release date is chosen to be when it is.  Nope, that's the band-specified date based on when the album will sound best! Boy I'm sure glad I got my copy early, but you guys need to wait because it will make it better!"

paraphrased for ridiculousness.
blackjack1084 (11:02:36 PM): eat my ass
blackjack1084 (11:02:38 PM): and get a life

www.myspace.com/therattlesnakes

jvstin

May 04, 2007, 07:06:44 pm #49 Last Edit: May 06, 2007, 12:28:27 pm by Bob Loblaw
imo, ryen's lunchbreak (cobra's theme) is [pop-]perfection defined.

as for the album itself... it's very tightly constructed and has a great/bold sound. probably the best thing they've done album-wise. my only gripe is how the two 'singles' come at the expense of new tunes. it's a very small gripe though. the whole thing flows very well--i actually liked the placement of "i wonder" since it winds things down before ending with two very dramatic songs.

i think i would have been even more impressed if i haven't heard anything (from pasadena) prior to getting it.
"in the immortal words of Thomas G. Warrior: ughhhhh!!"

funwithsponges

Quote from: The Other Mike on May 04, 2007, 06:58:22 pm
"Release dates exist for a reason.  Obviously the band doesn't want you to listen to the album until that date because the album won't be as good.  It couldn't be because of production, marketing, or legal reasons that a release date is chosen to be when it is.  Nope, that's the band-specified date based on when the album will sound best! Boy I'm sure glad I got my copy early, but you guys need to wait because it will make it better!"

Yeah, Fantastic Max, that was a pretty retarded thing to say.  I mean, at least play up the NANANANAN I HAVE IT AND YOU DON'T factor if you wanna take any route at all.

cesarsalad

i'm also slightly disappointed by the album. i like barriers though, but fight the darkness shouldn't be on an ozma record.

however,  i have a feeling it'll change. i do genuinely like MOST of the songs. i'll keep listening to it. it's very catchy.

Fantastic Max

Quote from: cesarsalad on May 04, 2007, 07:53:54 pm
i'm also slightly disappointed by the album. i like barriers though, but fight the darkness shouldn't be on an ozma record.

however,  i have a feeling it'll change. i do genuinely like MOST of the songs. i'll keep listening to it. it's very catchy.
Yeah, you know, I often wonder how those two songs'll grow on me over time, but right now...eh.
-Donkey Lips

Fantastic Max

Quote from: The Other Mike on May 04, 2007, 06:58:22 pm

Oh and if you were trying to get a rise out of me, i suppose you've done your job. I was simply making the statement that there are reasons behind release dates, not that they happen to be the band's preference(which I'm sure is rarely the case) That part of my post just happened to come right after I was mentioning band's decisions to release demos early or at album-release time, which in Ozma's case was semi-early and that alone can add to the hype of a release or ruin it.

So excuse me, if you read wrongly into my initial statements and figured I was just making a dumbass assumption about all bands and their abilities to control release dates. And forgive me if you felt I didn't express myself clearly enough.
-Donkey Lips

The Other Mike

I was also stating that you were being a hypocrite for telling people that it'll be better for them to wait while you're listening to the album.
blackjack1084 (11:02:36 PM): eat my ass
blackjack1084 (11:02:38 PM): and get a life

www.myspace.com/therattlesnakes

SteveLikesOzma

I love Barriers. As for Fight The Darkness, I love the verses but the chorus is just too damn reptitive/corny. I don't hate it but...would have rather had something like Kid Icarus isntead.

Alex

There are oh so many things I could say about this album.  I absolutely love it.  But I don't really have time to get into everything right now, so I'll just say this about Fight the Darkness..  If there was one song I thought I wouldn't like, that was it.  But then I heard Kenn's drums, and Dan's bass, both of which IMO are their best work on the whole album.  So yeah..  I like it now.
We can blast way inside

machatte

yes, FTD is sort of like the Bad Dogs of "pasadena" - oops, I did it again.    :-*

CT-700

Ryen I still don't understand why some people dislike Bad Dogs, I've always thoroughly enjoyed it.

jvstin

but bad dogs had a bad-ass extended guitar solo...

i still like FTD. i love the weird gothic twist at the end.
"in the immortal words of Thomas G. Warrior: ughhhhh!!"