April 29, 2024, 02:22:21 pm

News:

Don't smoke m3th!

Anyone Else Unbelievably Disappointed?

Started by Tideplaya, May 15, 2007, 10:11:26 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hipsun

Quote from: I Like Ozma on May 16, 2007, 05:28:40 pm
i understand that the MANAGERS wanted them to have those as the singles but why did it only have to be an 11 song album with only 9 new songs? it just doesnt make sense.

$$$

tom

Quote from: hipsun on May 16, 2007, 05:35:10 pm
Quote from: I Like Ozma on May 16, 2007, 05:28:40 pm
i understand that the MANAGERS wanted them to have those as the singles but why did it only have to be an 11 song album with only 9 new songs? it just doesnt make sense.

$$$

First of all, I don't get the general bitchiness of this whole thread. Why are you here if you hate the album. K bye.

Secondly, if you're U2, then yes, you can choose what songs you want, and how long each song is, and do a quadruple disc album.
But lets be honest, they haven't had national radio success yet, that's what they're trying to achieve.

heysarahsarah

People here are acting like everyone didn't hate on STOTBL when it came out.

Every time the band does something a bit different, people freak out for a bit.  Calm yourself.

If you don't like it, that's fine.  You don't have to like it.  Just remember that it is just your opinion.
Bob511i: But SARAH is my <3

No day but today.

Oatmeal

Quote from: heysarahsarah on May 16, 2007, 06:11:31 pm
People here are acting like everyone didn't hate on STOTBL when it came out.

Every time the band does something a bit different, people freak out for a bit.  Calm yourself.

If you don't like it, that's fine.  You don't have to like it.  Just remember that it is just your opinion.
+1

I love this album. I just hope the other songs such as "uptown" will evnetually be released as a single or something. But  if they dont oh well, they made another good album, thats good enough.
Quote from: antiuser on December 09, 2007, 11:35:30 am
There aren't many bands out there that treat their fans like Ozma does.
http://oatmealmp3blog.blogspot.com/

Alex

"it sounds to me like ozma needs new fans. a 10,000 kid fanbase doesn't come close to making a living for a 5 person band. of course they want you guys to like the record, but when you look at the bigger picture.... what matters is they get a really big song on the radio and can get paid. being able to afford an apartment would be nice."

This is so very true.  I know how hard it is to make any kind of profit off of music, and these guys have been around for too long, and have too much talent to not be able to at least make a living off of it.  I've found it somewhat shocking that they have so relatively few friends on myspace, for example.  I've researched a lot of bands, and if I would have made a prediction, I would have thought they'd have way more than 29,000 or so.  It also saddened me to find out that when the band was broken up they had to get day jobs.  I know some people like to stay busy, I don't know how much that played into it, but it sucks to think they HAD to do that.

It kind of seems to me like in the past they were sort of okay with their niche, never really striving to be really popular.  If that has changed now, which it somewhat seems to have done, I'm all for that.  They have always deserved more than what they've gotten, I hope they finally attain the level they're capable of.
We can blast way inside

Tideplaya

The funny thing about this whole thread was that I really just wanted to know if other people that love OZMA as much as I do felt the same way.  It's not like I hate the band for putting out an album I dislike, I was just so very disappointed.  I was really just looking to see if I wasn't alone in how I felt.

That's why I gave the thread that title.

(Also, I loved STOTBL, even if the production wasn't great, the songs were.)

funwithsponges

Quote from: hipsun on May 16, 2007, 05:02:17 pm
it sounds to me like ozma needs new fans. a 10,000 kid fanbase doesn't come close to making a living for a 5 person band. of course they want you guys to like the record, but when you look at the bigger picture.... what matters is they get a really big song on the radio and can get paid. being able to afford an apartment would be nice.

At the risk of getting too personal, isn't that why they got back together? 

butterfly

...im just saying, why bother re-recording 2 songs when they already sounded great. they should have been better off re-recording 'lorraine' and 'rain of the golden gorrila' those are great songs but sadly, its never really oficially landed in an album

brad

Quote from: butterfly on May 16, 2007, 09:04:19 pm
...im just saying, why bother re-recording 2 songs when they already sounded great. they should have been better off re-recording 'lorraine' and 'rain of the golden gorrila' those are great songs but sadly, its never really oficially landed in an album

aren't you happier that the singles are those two songs and not two mindless pop songs they wrote for the radio?

if i want to play ozma for someone who doesn't know them, those two songs are what i would go for first.

FireAarro

Quote from: butterfly on May 16, 2007, 09:04:19 pm

They were both on Trucks & Cars actually. Denise denise denise! :P (just kidding, that probably wouldn't fit in...)

Butterfly, I disagree with you saying the album sounds less punchy than their others (namely STOTBL).

Quote from: hipsun on May 16, 2007, 05:02:17 pm
it sounds to me like ozma needs new fans. a 10,000 kid fanbase doesn't come close to making a living for a 5 person band. of course they want you guys to like the record, but when you look at the bigger picture.... what matters is they get a really big song on the radio and can get paid. being able to afford an apartment would be nice.

Hmm, I think my interest in music as a career is going to lead me to an untimely death
Unterreiner is tall and surprisingly thin, given that the floor of his closet is stacked high with junk food. Boxes and bags of Doritos, Twinkies and Ho-Hos spill out onto the floor. He has towels around his window to keep out the cold air at night. "I hate this old house," he said bitterly, then changed the name of an unfinished track to "Cold Day."

Fantastic Max

Quote from: S P A M U E L on May 16, 2007, 05:00:26 pm
Quote from: Jeff42 on May 16, 2007, 04:18:31 pm
Quote from: butterfly on May 16, 2007, 04:13:20 pm
OMG i thought i was the only one feeling this way about the album. actually i already listened to it on their myspace and believe it or not, i actually felt bored listening to the way the new album sounds.
well i never actually own an album from ozma cuz i cun find it anywhere here but when i saw 'pasadena' being sold at HMV, i grabbed it without thinking twice. well my first ozma album and dammn i was dissappointed!

im not sure if its a bad mixed album that made it sound less punchy but then i realised, the band must really hit their low down. its just like how weezer looses their touch when they realease malidroit.

i mean apart from their new songs, the new version of eponin and NONTK is totally unnecessary. the guitar sounded empty. i really prefer the original ones.
and the way i see it, i simply feel that the reason why they cut eponin short is probably cuz they want it to be suitable for radio play cuz the way the songs are bein cut short, just doesn't make sense.

im not trying to criticize the band cuz this is the first time i actually felt board listening to an ozma realease.
with RRP3----> not a single boring song
DDD----------> not a single boring song
STOTBL------> totally awsome
pasadena-----> dammn....what the hell is it with 'lunchbreak'
I'd like to think this post is trying to ironically make fun of people who are bashing the new album.  I'd really like to...

i'm hoping there's some sort of language barrier or severe learning disability at play...

Seriously, ha.

I keep thinking somebody made a handful of accounts and is posting with those.
"Cross my heart, hope to die, stick a pizza in my mouth."
-Donkey Lips

I think one nice thing is that we probably won't have to wait another 4 (correct me if I'm mistaken) years until the next album comes out.  It seems like they're back on a roll again.

I think it might be a good sign that they didn't put so many of their new songs on the album.  I mean, at least we know they aren't at a loss for good material.

If they'd put Uptown, Kid Icarus & others that they've been toying with for that past year on Pasadena, I'm sure we'd have a bunch of fans complaining that we didn't get any brand new, surprising material.

And I happen to really like Lunchbreak now.  I'm surprised it's so hated.

tom

Yeah, but their next record is going to have the following tracklist:

1. You Know The Story (with all drumming taken out, and replaced by cowbell, at the producers request, shortened to 2:30)
2. Kid Icarus
3. Baseball (with Vin Scully doing play by play on the breakdown)
4. Uptown
5. C-Song
6. Good Cats (the sequel to Bad Dogs)
7. Eponine (this time making it even shorter, it will clock in at 1:35)
8. Hash Pipe

...all in jest, save the hatred for Tideplaya.

weezer420

May 17, 2007, 09:40:24 am #73 Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 09:41:36 am by weezer420
Has anyone else had a hard time finding this at a store near them? I live in the 954 and could not find this ANYWHERE near me. I went to Best Buy, found STOTBL but no Pasadena. Went to Circuit City across the street from Best Buy, no Ozma period. Go inside freakin Sawgrass Mall to FYE and like before find STOTBL but no EFFin Pasadena. Last resort... go to Target and still... no Pasadena no Ozma period.

I've heard the album from the MySpace page. I know what you've all been saying and with the fighting and blah blah blah. I personally think the album isn't terrible or bad... but yet this isn't the greatest either. New No One Needs to Know sounds pretty good contrary to what I originally thought it would sound like. New Eponine isn't terrible, it's good, but of course the original sounds way better. Over all the album has some good songs and some bad songs. I was a little disappointed in the same way when I first listened to Make Believe by Weezer when it first came out in that it wasn't what I expected, could have been better, but still a good album so to speak. And whoever said Maladroit was bad you obviously have no clue what you're talking about that album probably ranks 3rd for Weezer albums (Pinkerton, Blue, Maladroit, Green, Make Believe). I've gone off topic that's all I'm gonna say but back to point, Pasadena isn't a bad album, whish I could find it locally damn it, it one of those albums that eventually grow on you it seems.

tom

Wow. Just wow.
Maladroit sucks dude..."cheese tastes so good on a burnt piece of lamb"

while its easy to agree on their 1 and 2 albums all time. I wholly disagree with maladroit being third.
Make Believe is so much better than Maladroit.

I still haven't found Pasadena either. No luck in 7 different stores (local record store, target, best buy, other best buy, circuit city, FYE, waldenbooks)

cesarsalad

maladroit is a piece of shit. and who hates lunchbreak? this song is extremely enjoyable.

bulb dylan

Quote from: I Like Ozma on May 16, 2007, 05:21:18 pm
sounds to me like ozma needs to write more songs. and yes they do need more fans. i just dont get why if they were going to re record two songs they just couldnt put two new songs to replace them too.

Like hipsun said, $$$. Recording requires a budget. A contract with a record company requires some compliance. There isn't much point in complaining about it.

heysarahsarah

Guys, here's another cool thing...the more albums that sell, and/or more radio play they get, the more say they might have in future recordings, hell, maybe they could have a bigger budget on it too :o

Also, if you are having trouble finding the album, don't hesitate to order it from amazon or other online locations.  It'll ship directly to you, and will cost about the same.  Better yet, if Ozma is playing near you soon, pick up the record directly from the band.  They make more money that way, and you get it in your hot little hands.  I'm stoked to get my copy tomorrow when I see them in SF :)
Bob511i: But SARAH is my <3

No day but today.

dflat

the album is really different stylistically for them.  it retains some old school ozma, but it's done in a new package.  i was a bit thrown off at first, but i'm into it now, altho i don't know if i would say it's their best album (stotbl still may get that title) but i need an album for at least a few months before i make a final decision. however, one thing i really am disappointed in is the lack of sweet Ryen solo's.  i'm suprised no one brought this up before, one of hte reasons i love ozma is becaue ryen is a SICK guitar player and is not afraid to have wailing solos.  i feel in modern music the guitar solo has been diminished and ozma is one of the few bands to have wild guitar solos, while still keeping them tasteful and adding to the music.  unfortunately on pasadena i feel there is a HUGE lack of solos save hvh which is Samuel, yet short. it is why i love stotbl, they are all over hte place and so Samuel, but i feel on this album everything is drowned into one sound and you can barely distinguish the guitars let alone have solos.  that being said, i still think its a good album but feels more of a "comeback" trying ot please old fans while gaining new ones than an experiment of their musicianship as i feel all their previous ones were.  basically i think this is their "we want to be rock stars album" which isnt a bad thing, but i feel they sacrificied some of there better qualities in the process.

gloom-glaam

Quote from: weezer420 on May 17, 2007, 09:40:24 am
Has anyone else had a hard time finding this at a store near them? I live in the 954 and could not find this ANYWHERE near me. I went to Best Buy, found STOTBL but no Pasadena. Went to Circuit City across the street from Best Buy, no Ozma period. Go inside freakin Sawgrass Mall to FYE and like before find STOTBL but no EFFin Pasadena. Last resort... go to Target and still... no Pasadena no Ozma period.
There are people who still use the term "Effing"/"Eff"??? I stopped doing that in early grade 11, and I was one of the last people to use it...Or so I had thought.

CT-700

Quote from: dflat on May 17, 2007, 01:18:20 pm
the album is really different stylistically for them.  it retains some old school ozma, but it's done in a new package.  i was a bit thrown off at first, but i'm into it now, altho i don't know if i would say it's their best album (stotbl still may get that title) but i need an album for at least a few months before i make a final decision. however, one thing i really am disappointed in is the lack of sweet Ryen solo's.  i'm suprised no one brought this up before, one of hte reasons i love ozma is becaue ryen is a SICK guitar player and is not afraid to have wailing solos.  i feel in modern music the guitar solo has been diminished and ozma is one of the few bands to have wild guitar solos, while still keeping them tasteful and adding to the music.  unfortunately on pasadena i feel there is a HUGE lack of solos save hvh which is Samuel, yet short. it is why i love stotbl, they are all over hte place and so Samuel, but i feel on this album everything is drowned into one sound and you can barely distinguish the guitars let alone have solos.  that being said, i still think its a good album but feels more of a "comeback" trying ot please old fans while gaining new ones than an experiment of their musicianship as i feel all their previous ones were.  basically i think this is their "we want to be rock stars album" which isnt a bad thing, but i feel they sacrificied some of there better qualities in the process.

If they are going for radio, they are not going to have said solos.

And why is this thread still even going on? Tom was right, if you don'y like it you can leave. You can have your opinions, and you can hate this album more than any other album on this planet, but don't come to the fan forum to bitch. Come here to contribute to the conversation. Obviously the general consensus of the album on these boards is pretty positive, so coming here to complain is instantly going to cause contraversy. You guys have to learn to pick your battles. You'd think after seeing one or two new boardies start trouble dissing the album, the rest would learn. Instead we have new boardies signing up each day and instantly coming to this thread.

So can we just put this thread to rest? We finally have a new album to discuss, and the most active thread is this negative garbage (which seems to just keep repeating; we're saying the same things over and over).

varnon

I'm actualy not too fond of it either. I was initialy very unimpressed with the few tracks they would put on myspace occasionaly. But I'm ignoring that now and critiquing the album as it will be released.

The two rereleases are irritating. I understand why they did it though. However, I really just can't get over Eponie. It was on the last CD. I feel there really should have been away around that.

Most of the songs feel a bit sub par to me. All of them I think have some really good parts in them, but to me they are just good parts in mediocre songs. Instead of good parts in good songs.
I also really dislike the production values of this album. This is more of a personal issue... but I don't like how super clean and produced everything sounds. It sounds like a band making music that they can never represent live. There area few added things here, extra layers that they won't do live. That actualy doesn't bug me too much. But the way the instruments were recorded and mixed, as well as all the enhancing efects, it takes away from the energy of the music. And it won't sound the same live.
I actualy saw Ozma live once, except for Star everybody really knows what they are doing. The show wasn't a great show, and I'm sure it was a fluke. The house wasn't good with instrument levels that night, they usualy are. Ozma didn't seem to notice, whatever, they still played pretty good. This album though, will be impossible to capture live.
Pretty much all my problems with this CD I think stem from Ozma's want of fame. I sympathize with them I guess, but it isn't a trade off I would make for my band.

When STOTB came out I was pretty excited. There was a lot of different sounds on that album. I really felt like the band was exploring a lot of different things. I actualy think they split up because of different ideals that surfaced with this album. But I liked it. When I heard that Ozma was reunited I was excited as well. I thought that all the growth and exploration heard of the previous CD would blossom into something new and good. But I really feel like they haven't grown much sense then.

Thats my opinion. I think they are very capable, but I think they are choosing popularity over music.

tom

I don't think its a "want" of fame, more so an attempt at breaking into a mainstream radio.
They were asked to re-do TWO songs, and everyone is freaking out.
Can't we just drop it and listen to STOTBL or DDD if we really hate the new versions that much?
Christ. Make a copy of Pasadena with the 2 old versions on whatever cd-burning software that you have.

varnon

I'm actualy not trying to make a big deal about that at all.
Like I said, I understand and I sympathize with them, but I would have voted "no" in my own band.
Or I guess I said that in another thread. Anyway it still stands here.

Also, I forgot to mention.
To be fair I've only heard the songs from myspace. You lose some quality throught the myspace compression and you can hear it sometimes, and my computer speakers also aren't the best.

Tideplaya

And why is this thread still even going on? Tom was right, if you don'y like it you can leave. You can have your opinions, and you can hate this album more than any other album on this planet, but don't come to the fan forum to bitch. Come here to contribute to the conversation. Obviously the general consensus of the album on these boards is pretty positive, so coming here to complain is instantly going to cause contraversy. You guys have to learn to pick your battles. You'd think after seeing one or two new boardies start trouble dissing the album, the rest would learn. Instead we have new boardies signing up each day and instantly coming to this thread.

So can we just put this thread to rest? We finally have a new album to discuss, and the most active thread is this negative garbage (which seems to just keep repeating; we're saying the same things over and over).

The shortsightedness of this comment is humorous.

So, apparently, the fan forum is only for positive comments.  I thought it was for fans to discuss the band.  I am as big an OZMA fan as I know, but because my opinion of the album isn't great, my comments or thoughts aren't appropriate or appreciated?

I forgot that there was a gun put to your head to make you keep reading it and responding.

Oh..........oh wait.  If you hate this thread, simple, don't click its link.

I've actually enjoyed the intelligent responses and differing opinions in this thread.

If nothing else, we should all be able to agree that Maladroit is the worst album of all time.

cesarsalad

how does Star not know what she's doing? she plays her instruments with skill.

i can't believe how wrong this person is. this album has the best production of any of their albums, with the MOST energy. one of my biggest complaints of past Ozma albums is how anemic they sounded compared to them live. not with this album. even Straight Flush is full of energy, and that's a slow song.

cesarsalad

Quote from: Tideplaya on May 17, 2007, 03:57:35 pm

The shortsightedness of this comment is humorous.

So, apparently, the fan forum is only for positive comments.  I thought it was for fans to discuss the band.  I am as big an OZMA fan as I know, but because my opinion of the album isn't great, my comments or thoughts aren't appropriate or appreciated?

I forgot that there was a gun put to your head to make you keep reading it and responding.

Oh..........oh wait.  If you hate this thread, simple, don't click its link.

I've actually enjoyed the intelligent responses and differing opinions in this thread.

If nothing else, we should all be able to agree that Maladroit is the worst album of all time.

what pisses me off about detractors is that besides voicing their dislike of the album (which is perfectly ok), they start 1) trying to convince everyone to dislike the album as much as them, to the point of making and/or posting on multiple threads about it and 2) insult those who like the album with comments such as "you would love (insert name of band here) if they came out with a CD full of fart sounds" and other more insulting crap. i expect to see the detractors keeping on posting on multiple threads about the album and how much "it sucks". give us a break. you don't like it and we do. this isn't maladroit, which most fans would be hard-pressed to defend. pasadena is a quality album that just does not appeal to everyone.

varnon

Quote from: cesarsalad on May 17, 2007, 04:00:01 pm

i can't believe how wrong this person is. this album has the best production of any of their albums, with the MOST energy. one of my biggest complaints of past Ozma albums is how anemic they sounded compared to them live. not with this album. even Straight Flush is full of energy, and that's a slow song.

Well everybody likes different production values.

But Star... well she plays cleanly and doesn't often hit the wrong note, but she isn't very skilled. There really isn't anyway around that. If you are a musican, then to defend her level of skill is to be biased. She could very easily be replaced in studio by any member of the band, and actualy any member of most bands.
I was very dissapointed with her when seeing them live. There is a part in some song where they keyboard plays a somewhat cool arrpegio. Its not something hard to play, but a beginer would want to play it with two hands instead of one hand. Star, instead of playing it, has allready programed her keyboard to play it for her. She presses a new note the change the root note of the arrpegio when it changes, but she doesn't actualy play the part. It was one of few cool things that I actualy thought she played. Her stuff allways *sounds* good though. But then again she doesn't write it.

Tideplaya

what pisses me off about detractors is that besides voicing their dislike of the album (which is perfectly ok), they start 1) trying to convince everyone to dislike the album as much as them, to the point of making and/or posting on multiple threads about it and 2) insult those who like the album with comments such as "you would love (insert name of band here) if they came out with a CD full of fart sounds" and other more insulting crap. i expect to see the detractors keeping on posting on multiple threads about the album and how much "it sucks". give us a break. you don't like it and we do. this isn't maladroit, which most fans would be hard-pressed to defend. pasadena is a quality album that just does not appeal to everyone.

Glad I haven't done any of those things.  I think you could have made your reply a lot shorter and said, "You're right.  It was a little silly of me to say that."

Don't worry, I managed to translate it.

Oh, and for the record, I'm glad people like the album.  I just wish I did too.

machatte

May 17, 2007, 04:58:38 pm #89 Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 05:04:36 pm by machatte
Quote from: varnon on May 17, 2007, 04:22:23 pm
Quote from: cesarsalad on May 17, 2007, 04:00:01 pm

Well everybody likes different production values.

But Star... well she plays cleanly and doesn't often hit the wrong note, but she isn't very skilled. There really isn't anyway around that. If you are a musican, then to defend her level of skill is to be biased. She could very easily be replaced in studio by any member of the band, and actualy any member of most bands.
I was very dissapointed with her when seeing them live. There is a part in some song where they keyboard plays a somewhat cool arrpegio. Its not something hard to play, but a beginer would want to play it with two hands instead of one hand. Star, instead of playing it, has allready programed her keyboard to play it for her. She presses a new note the change the root note of the arrpegio when it changes, but she doesn't actualy play the part. It was one of few cool things that I actualy thought she played. Her stuff allways *sounds* good though. But then again she doesn't write it.

hi this is star. actually i AM playing every note of the chords, which are arpeggiated at about 150 bpm. i use the roland juno d beam's tap tempo feature, specifically designed for speedy arpeggiation & tempo matching.  id like to see you play it that fast, with one hand.....you'd need six fingers to spread the span of 2 octaves.

if you could take a video of it and post it that would be great.

BTW i "ACTUALY" wouldn't consider myself a "MUSICAN" but more of a MUSICIAN, and definitely not a "BEGINER."