April 29, 2024, 11:49:17 am

News:

When's the last time you said "I love you" to a friend!?

Ozma with Rooney!!!!!!

Started by oatmeal, March 18, 2006, 06:16:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Not Jason

Rooney is one of the only shows I have ever left early.  I usually stay for entire shows out of principal, but I left about three songs into Rooney.  I stayed for Straylight Run, and at that point, considering I was ONLY at this show for Ozma, and Nick was about ready to leave, I went along with it.  It wasn't that they were bad, I was just uninterrested.  Most of that show was pretty lame though.  In hindsite, seeing Ozma with Nate and Schmedly was kind of neat just for the relative rarity of that happening (and of course it was a bit of a prelude for Yes Dear), but Schmedly is nowhere near the musician Dan is, so it was very disapointing in that respect.
You and I were the extremities
I am the baseball.

Tri$tan

Quote from: Not Jason on March 19, 2006, 12:31:56 am
Quote from: antiuser on March 19, 2006, 12:23:45 am
I know, I know... but I live in Seattle...

Then stop bitching.  Washington's got a decent scene.

as if maine even HAS inklings of a scene  ;D

Quote from: Not Jason on March 20, 2006, 02:52:43 pm
Rooney is one of the only shows I have ever left early.  I usually stay for entire shows out of principal, but I left about three songs into Rooney.  I stayed for Straylight Run, and at that point, considering I was ONLY at this show for Ozma, and Nick was about ready to leave, I went along with it.  It wasn't that they were bad, I was just uninterrested.  Most of that show was pretty lame though.  In hindsite, seeing Ozma with Nate and Schmedly was kind of neat just for the relative rarity of that happening (and of course it was a bit of a prelude for Yes Dear), but Schmedly is nowhere near the musician Dan is, so it was very disapointing in that respect.

i remeber this. someday I want to hang with you again because I want to take in the pants-jizzing womanizing awseomeness that is Jason Unterreiner again. And i'm not being sarcastic.
Quote from: Golden Laser Sword on May 20, 2010, 05:36:25 am
It is funny how you can get tired of something someone does, and the other person ends up being the sympathetic character. It feels like some shitty Apatow movie.

Potentially Tim

Quote from: Not Jason on March 20, 2006, 02:52:43 pm
Rooney is one of the only shows I have ever left early.  I usually stay for entire shows out of principal, but I left about three songs into Rooney.  I stayed for Straylight Run, and at that point, considering I was ONLY at this show for Ozma, and some loud Asian dude was about ready to leave, I went along with it.  It wasn't that they were bad, I was just uninterrested.  Most of that show was pretty lame though.  In hindsite, seeing Ozma with Nate and Schmedly was kind of neat because I had to settle for it (and of course it was a bit of a prelude for Yes Dear), but Schmedly is nowhere near the musician Dan is, so it was very disapointing in that respect.

I agree, though. With all that. Especially Rooney being the only act I've ever left early. Except for Two Skinnee J's. But that should be self-explanatory.

I like ozma

me and oatmeal get to go!

caleb and i have been to two of the same shows and never met, tisk tisk tisk

Ianny

Rooney and Ozma do not mix.  Most of their fans do not mix either.  When I saw Ozma, Rooney, and Straylight Run, fans of Rooney just stood there and did nothing when Ozma was on stage.  Then we had to sit through the pain that is Straylight Run, and while Rooney were not all that bad, they are the complete opposite of Ozma.  Rooney appeal to the OC crowd and like to pretend they're from the 80's while writing songs with subpar lyrics.  Ozma comes out with energy and enthusiasm, put on one hell of a show, write creative and innovative lyrics that relate back to the 80's, but are rooted in the now.  Also Rooney sound completely different live and on CD to the point where I barely even realized it was the same band playing.

And to top it off, the Rooney/Ozma show was the last I saw before Ozma broke up, so that didn't help matters too much either.  But yeah, to me Rooney and Ozma are oil and water.
~Ozma is now back.  Do a dance!  :D

To hear more from this strange man, go to the journal.
I also have two podcasts, one updated weekly, and one updated whenever I find the time.  The weekly one is Comic Timing and is found here.The other is "The Geekspeak Report" which is found here.

I like ozma

Quote from: Ianny on March 20, 2006, 08:52:28 pm
Rooney and Ozma do not mix.Ã,  Most of their fans do not mix either.Ã,  When I saw Ozma, Rooney, and Straylight Run, fans of Rooney just stood there and did nothing when Ozma was on stage.Ã,  Then we had to sit through the pain that is Straylight Run, and while Rooney were not all that bad, they are the complete opposite of Ozma.Ã,  Rooney appeal to the OC crowd and like to pretend they're from the 80's while writing songs with subpar lyrics.Ã,  Ozma comes out with energy and enthusiasm, put on one hell of a show, write creative and innovative lyrics that relate back to the 80's, but are rooted in the now.Ã,  Also Rooney sound completely different live and on CD to the point where I barely even realized it was the same band playing.

And to top it off, the Rooney/Ozma show was the last I saw before Ozma broke up, so that didn't help matters too much either.Ã,  But yeah, to me Rooney and Ozma are oil and water.

i think rooney came out more enthused then ozma (except for jose of course) but im not saying thats a bad thing

Fantastic Max

March 20, 2006, 10:27:52 pm #37 Last Edit: March 20, 2006, 10:29:03 pm by ozmacity
Quote from: Like I Ozma on March 20, 2006, 10:21:56 pm
Quote from: Ianny on March 20, 2006, 08:52:28 pm
Rooney and Ozma do not mix.Ã,  Most of their fans do not mix either.Ã,  When I saw Ozma, Rooney, and Straylight Run, fans of Rooney just stood there and did nothing when Ozma was on stage.Ã,  Then we had to sit through the pain that is Straylight Run, and while Rooney were not all that bad, they are the complete opposite of Ozma.Ã,  Rooney appeal to the OC crowd and like to pretend they're from the 80's while writing songs with subpar lyrics.Ã,  Ozma comes out with energy and enthusiasm, put on one hell of a show, write creative and innovative lyrics that relate back to the 80's, but are rooted in the now.Ã,  Also Rooney sound completely different live and on CD to the point where I barely even realized it was the same band playing.

And to top it off, the Rooney/Ozma show was the last I saw before Ozma broke up, so that didn't help matters too much either.Ã,  But yeah, to me Rooney and Ozma are oil and water.

i think rooney came out more enthused then ozma (except for jose of course) but im not saying thats a bad thing
They knew it was to be their last show.. :-\

EDIT: Or....so.....they...........thought!
"Cross my heart, hope to die, stick a pizza in my mouth."
-Donkey Lips

Fantastic Max

Quote from: Like I Ozma on March 20, 2006, 07:29:30 pm
me and oatmeal get to go!

caleb and i have been to two of the same shows and never met, tisk tisk tisk
Sorry, sorry, ha.

We'll meet at some Ozma show, I'm sure, haha.
-Donkey Lips

I like ozma

heysarahsarah

Yeah, I'm happy they are getting gigs and hope they play a ton and make a bunch of money so they can tour nationally again and connect with all their fans, but man...I don't know that I could sit through Rooney.  I'm way not above leaving early to shows if I dislike later bands.  When the Huxtables opened for Dexter Danger, I had NO problem leaving before my ears were further assulted.  Usually I give the band a chance, but yeah.  Just some things I am into and somethings I am not.  Bad openers are much worse (Frog Eyes for Destroyer and Cobra High for PGMG come to mind).

Hope everyone has fun though, and lots of pictures/vids are taken :)
Bob511i: But SARAH is my <3

No day but today.

oatmeal

Iv'e got five tickets! I like Rooney. Although they will never be as good as ozma. But face it its almost impossible to be better than ozma. Ozma's talent just puts other bands to shame. However, I never thought of them trying to sound like thier from the 80's, sounds more 60's early 70's to me. Anyways their music is fun, like oldies pop. Some of thier songs are even weezer(old weezer) oldies pop. I dont care if its on the OC or whatever I still like it becuase it makes me happy. And thats what I think matters. Who cares about the other fans. LIke ryen said they probally change with another fad already, wich thus left mostly the cooler fans behind.

PS: did you check out the other bands playing. I heard some Marjorie Fair on pure volume it has that slow mature psychedelicish 60's rock sound. Of what I herd so far Its pretty good.

I like ozma

is that the only other band? i hope theres not 30 bands

returnofdisco

sometimes I have dreams that I'm in Rooney, does this mean I like them?  Oh well, I bought the album when they were being promoted on those Tower Records commercial's "next big thing"  good album...probably the only band I've seen that sounds EXACTLY like they did on the album, which makes no sense to see them live when you can just listen to the album.  I think Ozma and Rooney are a great combination...you get that very California feel to it. 
but most of all I fear you'd see, parts of me buried for centuries

oatmeal

Quote from: Like I Ozma on March 21, 2006, 12:21:25 pm
is that the only other band? i hope theres not 30 bands
Everybody Else is playing to. So there are 4 bands. All the bands sound very simular to rooney except ozma. Ozma is somewhat simluar.

Quote from: returnofdisco on March 21, 2006, 02:09:45 pm
sometimes I have dreams that I'm in Rooney, does this mean I like them? Oh well, I bought the album when they were being promoted on those Tower Records commercial's "next big thing" good album...probably the only band I've seen that sounds EXACTLY like they did on the album, which makes no sense to see them live when you can just listen to the album. I think Ozma and Rooney are a great combination...you get that very California feel to it.
+1

I like ozma

when i seen yes dear, each band only got to play like 5 songs each

Fantastic Max

Quote from: oatmeal on March 21, 2006, 02:30:30 pm
Everybody Else is playing to. So there are 4 bands. All the bands sound very simular to rooney except ozma. Ozma is somewhat simluar.
Reminds me of a Yes Dear show I saw at Chain Reaction last year, and it was so awkward because all the bands that led up to Yes Dear were like crappy renditions of Hoobastank or Yellowcard or something.

And I distinctly remember Ryen coming outside to where we were at one point before they went on and was confessing his "We Don't Fit In!" frustrations. But he knew we were Ozma fans so he could seek solace with us, haha.
-Donkey Lips

cesarsalad

Quote from: ozmacity on March 20, 2006, 12:17:27 am
Yeah, that "last show" at the Wiltern was terrible..I mean Ozma played well..but they only playe dlike 5 or 6 songs, and there was only a handful of Ozmafans.

I stayed for Rooney, but it was like "Eh..".Ã,  Just noise, really.

I was, however, able to buy the Korobeiniki 7" vinyl..which I was uber-ly suprised they had out in the lobby.

i was at that show with a bunch of friends.. no one knew it would be their last.. ozma did a great job but the fans were awful. i hate rooney.

Quote from: cesarsalad on March 27, 2006, 08:26:33 pm
Quote from: ozmacity on March 20, 2006, 12:17:27 am
Yeah, that "last show" at the Wiltern was terrible..I mean Ozma played well..but they only playe dlike 5 or 6 songs, and there was only a handful of Ozmafans.

I stayed for Rooney, but it was like "Eh..".Ã,  Just noise, really.

I was, however, able to buy the Korobeiniki 7" vinyl..which I was uber-ly suprised they had out in the lobby.

i was at that show with a bunch of friends.. no one knew it would be their last.. ozma did a great job but the fans were awful. i hate rooney.

I like ozma

fear leads to anger, anger leads to to hate, hate leads to the dark side.

tom

Rooney is good, give them a chance. Despite their fans, they are still a solid band.

Quote from: Tom Is Dead on April 07, 2006, 10:17:00 am
Rooney is good, give them a chance. Despite their fans, they are still a solid band.

oh.. now that you mention it... I'm not actually familiar with their music.  I just remember seeing them on the OC (back when The OC was quality television) and I was like "WTF is with this shitty band?????"

(just kidding about The OC, after from the first 2 1/2 episodes, it's sucked.)

I like ozma

i was going to go, but not anymore...

nerd reich

parker

Quote from: heysarahsarah on March 20, 2006, 10:40:42 pm
Yeah, I'm happy they are getting gigs and hope they play a ton and make a bunch of money so they can tour nationally again and connect with all their fans, but man...I don't know that I could sit through Rooney.Ã,  I'm way not above leaving early to shows if I dislike later bands.Ã,  When the Huxtables opened for Dexter Danger, I had NO problem leaving before my ears were further assulted.Ã,  Usually I give the band a chance, but yeah.Ã,  Just some things I am into and somethings I am not.Ã,  Bad openers are much worse (Frog Eyes for Destroyer and Cobra High for PGMG come to mind).

You don't like Frog Eyes??

heysarahsarah

Quote from: ReKRAP on April 11, 2006, 08:48:17 am
Quote from: heysarahsarah on March 20, 2006, 10:40:42 pm
Yeah, I'm happy they are getting gigs and hope they play a ton and make a bunch of money so they can tour nationally again and connect with all their fans, but man...I don't know that I could sit through Rooney.  I'm way not above leaving early to shows if I dislike later bands.  When the Huxtables opened for Dexter Danger, I had NO problem leaving before my ears were further assulted.  Usually I give the band a chance, but yeah.  Just some things I am into and somethings I am not.  Bad openers are much worse (Frog Eyes for Destroyer and Cobra High for PGMG come to mind).

You don't like Frog Eyes??

Oh GOD no.  His voice is like nails on the chalkboard to me.
Bob511i: But SARAH is my <3

No day but today.

Nordel

Ok, so I haven't heard that much Rooney, but I checked out their cover of Death on Two Legs by Queen and it was very impressive.

mike

I'm going to see Rooney open up for Kelly Clarkson July 13!!  And we're going strictly for KC.

But I'll be in LA / San Diego the week of July 16.  There'd better be a show planned for when I'm out there.
I'M YELLING AT YOU BECAUSE I DON'T RESPECT YOU!