April 29, 2024, 12:10:40 pm

News:

If you can read this, Samuel is still a ph@gg0t

The Rentals/Ozma US Summer Tour

Started by Brady, June 06, 2006, 06:13:09 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Not Jason

Quote from: joshbdork on June 09, 2006, 11:07:05 pm
all i see in this thread is pure shit. these bands are going on tour once again. lets be excited and not sad they arent playing in our backyards. if you are truely a huge fan you will make it to the shows. if you cant make it to the shows you will still see and hear bootlegs, so be excited as well.

Oh, okay, being a true fan means you have disposable income and a flexable schedule.  For a moment there I thought it had something to do with sincere appreciation of one's art or something like that.  Thanks for the correction.  I've made huge tirps before to see bands.  I obviously can't compete with people who flew crosscountry to see Ozma or GUK shows, but I mean, I've traveled for 8 solid hours to see band's many a time.  I've ridden busses and tried to navigate confusing train systems on my own.  And yeah, most the times I did that it was because the bands playing were particularly important to me, but it's also reflective of where I was financially at the time and things of that matter.  I'm more desperate for shows than I've ever been this past year, but this is also my first year of attempted financial independence.  They aren't exactly compatible.

And honestly, I'd rather a show not happen than have a show happen and not be able to go to it.  Bootlegs are pretty bittersweet.
You and I were the extremities
I am the baseball.

Bob511

Quote from: joshbdork on June 09, 2006, 11:07:05 pmif you are truely a huge fan you will make it to the shows.

Quote from: Not Jason on June 09, 2006, 11:18:30 pm
I'd rather a show not happen than have a show happen and not be able to go to it.

It's like the World Heavyweight Championship of ridiculous opinions.

Not Jason

June 10, 2006, 12:01:45 am #32 Last Edit: June 10, 2006, 12:03:36 am by Not Jason
Quote from: Bob511 on June 09, 2006, 11:31:29 pm
Quote from: joshbdork on June 09, 2006, 11:07:05 pmif you are truely a huge fan you will make it to the shows.

I'd rather a show not happen than have a show happen and not be able to go to it.

Mine's ridiculous, but does it qualify as an opinion?

But please, hear me out:Ã,  Let's say it doesn't pan out and I can't make any of the stops on this tour.Ã,  I do not wish for the tour to be canceled.Ã,  That's just meanspirited.Ã,  However, given the choice between missing a show in Boston, or having zero knowledge of it's happening whatsoever at any point, I'd easily choose the latter.Ã,  I don't think that's so ridiculous.

Example:Ã,  I have this bootleg from a D-Plan show that my friend in Boston recorded and sent to me for some odd reason.Ã,  At the time I wasn't a fan.Ã,  Years later, I'm a huge Dismemberment Plan fan, and the knowledge that I missed the show, along with the bootlegged evidence of it's happening, fully piss me off.Ã,  As fun as it is to listen to, I might be better off without it.

edit:  This all works under the assumption that reality only exists to the extent that I percieve it.

And again, I'm not calling for any show cancelations or anything.
I am the baseball.

unfilmstill

June 10, 2006, 07:19:24 am #33 Last Edit: June 10, 2006, 07:21:51 am by lisa marie
i'd take care of you guys in new york.
my campus isn't in manhattan, but a few train stops north of the bronx.
you could both even crash on my floor or something because i'll have a single room.
come to new york and we'll all meet up.
i know all the subways and everything and it's really easy and once you get the hang of it, not so scary.
i'm pretty understanding with any kind of anxiety problems and would love to show you guys around.
so, if you do want to make the trip i'll help you out any way that i can.

EDIT: FUCK! I HATE BEING HOME FOR THE SUMMER :(
so...this goes for all concert dates that occur AFTER aug. 28th.
sorry...i kind of jumped the gun.

Samuel <3 OZMA

Quote from: Not Jason on June 10, 2006, 12:01:45 am
Quote from: Bob511 on June 09, 2006, 11:31:29 pm

Mine's ridiculous, but does it qualify as an opinion?

But please, hear me out:Ã,  Let's say it doesn't pan out and I can't make any of the stops on this tour.Ã,  I do not wish for the tour to be canceled.Ã,  That's just meanspirited.Ã,  However, given the choice between missing a show in Boston, or having zero knowledge of it's happening whatsoever at any point, I'd easily choose the latter.Ã,  I don't think that's so ridiculous.

Example:Ã,  I have this bootleg from a D-Plan show that my friend in Boston recorded and sent to me for some odd reason.Ã,  At the time I wasn't a fan.Ã,  Years later, I'm a huge Dismemberment Plan fan, and the knowledge that I missed the show, along with the bootlegged evidence of it's happening, fully piss me off.Ã,  As fun as it is to listen to, I might be better off without it.

edit:Ã,  This all works under the assumption that reality only exists to the extent that I percieve it.

And again, I'm not calling for any show cancelations or anything.

I know exactly what you mean Jason and I don't think it's really that ridiculous at all.Ã,  The D-Plan story reminds me of a similar feeling I have regarding The Get Up Kids:Ã,  Back in like 96 & 97 they did a bunch of basement shows in the College Park, MD--about 10 minutes from my house.Ã,  These were tiny sets and college radio shows and things.Ã,  Obviously, I was way too young back then to go to any of those if I'd wanted to, but just knowing that something so awesome was so close by is a very awkward feeling.Ã,  I have video of some of these events and they are almost painful to watch knowing that I didn't even catch TGUK until their final tour almost 10 years later.Ã,  I feel like I fucked up not "caring" enough about them back when I had great chances to be a part of it all.Ã,  Part of me wishes I'd just always been oblivious to it all.Ã,  :/Ã,  It's not enjoyable to think about.

And that's kinda why I made the whole "GO GO GO" point to begin with.Ã,  In the case of Ozma's last show in DC, there really was NO good reason that I didn't go.Ã,  I just figured I'd catch them "next time."Ã,  Thankfully, now there is a "next time," but I have so many "next time" regrets that I really try not to say that anymore. :/

As for NYC, I fucking hate that city.Ã,  I think it's also that I find it somewhat intimidating as well.Ã,  However, it's more that I just think it's a dirty, crowded, over-rated place.Ã,  I did spend some time there myself last summer "on my own" and it wasn't really that difficult to navigate.Ã,  But, that place does really creep me out, and I'd rather be somewhere prettier.Ã,  People always talk about how beautiful Central Park is, but honestly anything would look beautiful by itself if you dropped it in the middle of a pile of shit.Ã,  I don't get why people love NYC so much.

Anyway, I hope it works out for you if you actually try to make it to the shows... If I could, I would offer you a place to stay in DC, but I'm expecting to be staying with people the days before and after the show (if I don't actually drive to VA to catch the next night) so as cool as it would be to offer you the couch at my parents house, it probably wouldn't work out.

I wish you the best.

Adam

I saw the ad a few days ago and it sent shivers up my spine. Wednesday, July 26th. The Roseland. Portland OR. I still get shivers every time I think of it. Yay.
Your mother

weezma33

Quote from: Brady on June 07, 2006, 09:17:23 am
Quote from: weezma33 on June 07, 2006, 07:03:15 am
again---

michigan? :'(
why no michigan?
esp. in the summer when I could go...

Take the ferry across the Lake and come to the Milwaukee showÃ,  :-\

I CAN'T DRIVE!!!  MY PARENTS WORK!!!  sorry.  i'm going to summerfest around the milwaukee area in early july also, so i'm sure it couldn't happen.  and yeah, i am sad.

weezma33

i just realized i'll be in WI exactly 5, 6 days later than the milwaukee show on the 2nd-  i am sad

weezma33

Quote from: weezma33 on June 10, 2006, 02:01:35 pm
i just realized i'll be in WI exactly 5, 6 days later than the milwaukee show on the 2nd-Ã,  i am sad

holy crap.  i'm a retard.  i'm going to be in wisconSIN (hate the state) in july, not august.  but i still won't be able to go.

Brady

Quote from: weezma33 on June 10, 2006, 01:58:38 pm
Quote from: Brady on June 07, 2006, 09:17:23 am
Quote from: weezma33 on June 07, 2006, 07:03:15 am
again---

michigan? :'(
why no michigan?
esp. in the summer when I could go...

Take the ferry across the Lake and come to the Milwaukee show  :-\

I CAN'T DRIVE!!!  MY PARENTS WORK!!!  sorry.  i'm going to summerfest around the milwaukee area in early july also, so i'm sure it couldn't happen.  and yeah, i am sad.

Damn dude.  Well what are you seeing at Summerfest?  I'm going to Blue October and Wilco for sure.

joshbdork

all i see in this thread is pure shit. these bands are going on tour once again. lets be excited and not sad they arent playing in our backyards. if you are truely a huge fan you will make it to the shows. if you cant make it to the shows you will still see and hear bootlegs, so be excited as well.

Oh, okay, being a true fan means you have disposable income and a flexable schedule.  For a moment there I thought it had something to do with sincere appreciation of one's art or something like that.  Thanks for the correction.  I've made huge tirps before to see bands.  I obviously can't compete with people who flew crosscountry to see Ozma or GUK shows, but I mean, I've traveled for 8 solid hours to see band's many a time.  I've ridden busses and tried to navigate confusing train systems on my own.  And yeah, most the times I did that it was because the bands playing were particularly important to me, but it's also reflective of where I was financially at the time and things of that matter.  I'm more desperate for shows than I've ever been this past year, but this is also my first year of attempted financial independence.  They aren't exactly compatible.

And honestly, I'd rather a show not happen than have a show happen and not be able to go to it.  Bootlegs are pretty bittersweet.
maybe some of us take it to different extremes, but im on my own, been in debt and still found ways to travel far distances to make shows. im not saying only real fans will go the extra step, even if it may have come out that way. Im just saying 99% of the time you can find a way to mow a few lawns or anything like that and make it happen. I think its really shitty when people get all upset because they have to drive 3 hours to a show and things like that.

Not Jason

Oh yeah, me too.  Three hours ain't shit.  I'm from northern/central Maine and traditionally I've had to drive a MINIMUM of three hours to see almost any show.  I've made that kind of drive to see "local" bands a number of times.  And for most things I really want to see, I have to go to Boston, which can require anywhere between 5 and 8 hours depending on where I leave from and what the travel conditions are.  Though I don't mean to bitch too much, as in the past two years, my town has stepped up to the plate quite a bit, and the club down the street has had bands like Against Me! (a personal favorite of mine) and a few decently popular underground bands within walking distance of my apartment.  I consider myself quite fortunate for that.  Point is, I'm not one to think twice about 3 hours, even a Boston show isn't THAT big a deal (I did it 5 times for Ozma).  I'll bitch about it, but I'll still DO it.  New York is a much bigger deal though.  Maine to NYC is a bigger trip than I've ever made for a show, and this is one of the hardest financial situations I've ever been in.  Like I said, I'm making an honest crack at being financially independant, which is hard.  My rent's expensive, I make almost nothing.  I don't get enough hours at work.  I desperately need another job.  But anyway.

It occured to me today that The Rentals and Ozma is an absurdly huge deal, and I really want to at least take a whack at it.  I looked at some maps online and it turns out that my sister's current location in CT could in fact be very helpful.  She just moved there from VA, so I wasn't thinking about it til now, but from the looks of the maps, she's about 100 miles outside of the city.  So I know I have a place to stay with her more than likely (though obviously, I should run this by her).  So the pieces are starting to come together.
I am the baseball.

kitten

Quote from: joshbdork on June 10, 2006, 10:35:15 pm

maybe some of us take it to different extremes, but im on my own, been in debt and still found ways to travel far distances to make shows. im not saying only real fans will go the extra step, even if it may have come out that way. Im just saying 99% of the time you can find a way to mow a few lawns or anything like that and make it happen. I think its really shitty when people get all upset because they have to drive 3 hours to a show and things like that.

how old are you?  honest question.

geektheindierocker

NYC is kinda cool to get lost in if you have the time to spare.

Not Jason

Quote from: geektheindierocker on June 11, 2006, 12:50:24 am
NYC is kinda cool to get lost in if you have the time to spare.

Seeing the Rentals > Getting lost in NYC
I am the baseball.

Tri$tan

Quote from: Golden Laser Sword on May 20, 2010, 05:36:25 am
It is funny how you can get tired of something someone does, and the other person ends up being the sympathetic character. It feels like some shitty Apatow movie.

Not Jason

I am the baseball.

I like ozma

Cheese

I read Jason's post and it reminded me of when I found out ECW wrestling was in Peoria, IL back around 1999 or 2000 and Billy Corgan made an appearance.  My first thought wasn't "Oh cool" it was "And I missed it!!!  FUCK!!!"  So I understand what you're saying.

tom

Who wants to willingly go to NYC? Not me. But i'll go because its two awesome bands playing their first shows in my 'area' in a damn long time. I still don't get why they're playing DC and Virginia, while they're ignoring two huge markets in Boston and Philly.

I like ozma

Quote from: Casey L. Carr on June 11, 2006, 02:08:49 pm
I read Jason's post and it reminded me of when I found out ECW wrestling was in Peoria, IL back around 1999 or 2000 and Billy Corgan made an appearance.Ã,  My first thought wasn't "Oh cool" it was "And I missed it!!!Ã,  FUCK!!!"Ã,  So I understand what you're saying.

have you ever heard of the Samuel kill-o-watts? they are from peoria, and they are very good.

Not Jason

June 12, 2006, 02:35:04 am #51 Last Edit: June 12, 2006, 02:46:40 am by Not Jason
Quote from: I like ozma. on June 11, 2006, 01:30:53 pm
Quote from: Not Jason on June 10, 2006, 11:05:35 pm
can I have someones opinion on this matter?

well I'll be damned.

seriously though, unsolicited opinions about my home are bothersome to me.  sure, I bitch about it, but I also live here and know it better than anyone else on this forum.  Whether I'm crazy about it or not, it's part of my identity.  It's tough to explain and I doubt I could do it in a way that wouldn't sound hypocritical.  When I take a jab at maine, it's because I'm troubled by the things about it that effect my life.  When outsiders take a jab at it, it's by necesity generalized, and it's hard not to see it as an attack on me, the parts of me that wouldn't be the same without having been exposed to this environment, my family, and a whole bunch of things that are actually quite dear to me.  Like I said, it's a confusing argument, because frankly I feel like I'd rather stab myself to death than live here for another 3 years, but it's still something I'd rather not be seen bundled up into a single one sylable word and talked shit about by people who know virtually nothing about it.

/rant

yay rentals.
I am the baseball.

Tri$tan

I apologize then, I kind of assumed you hated maine 100% so I figured it was fair game. Also, I have a couple other friends from various parts of maine who also pretty much hate it after seeing big cities so I kind of generalized. I didn't really mean it in any way but humorous. I mean Maine's cool too. Instead of being mugged by a black guy in a dark alley, you can get fucked up by bears! More sweeping generalizations! Then again I should talk. I'm the stereotype of Massachusetts people. Liberal commie faggin it up about gay rights.

in other news: I haven't really gotten into the rentals.. what's reccomended listening?
Quote from: Golden Laser Sword on May 20, 2010, 05:36:25 am
It is funny how you can get tired of something someone does, and the other person ends up being the sympathetic character. It feels like some shitty Apatow movie.

Brady

Here's a torrent I made a few weeks ago, I think theres still people seeding.

It's got The Rentals' 2 studio releases...Return of the Rentals and Seven More Minutes.

Both awesome, Seven More Minutes is my favorite though.

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=D2CAE7970CE6C2DA

anthem for a new amanda

does anyone know when the NYC tickets go on sale?

Cheese

Quote from: I like ozma. on June 11, 2006, 07:58:58 pm
Quote from: Casey L. Carr on June 11, 2006, 02:08:49 pm
I read Jason's post and it reminded me of when I found out ECW wrestling was in Peoria, IL back around 1999 or 2000 and Billy Corgan made an appearance.Ã,  My first thought wasn't "Oh cool" it was "And I missed it!!!Ã,  FUCK!!!"Ã,  So I understand what you're saying.

have you ever heard of the Samuel kill-o-watts? they are from peoria, and they are very good.

Actually I have heard of them.  I remember hearing the name and loving it.  I just can't recall where I heard of them from. 

kitten

Probably here, because that's where I think I heard them.

k24

bought my tickets a minute ago. awesome !

Not Jason

It looks like I may be able to see either the DC or VA show.  I'm not sure if that is in conjunction with the NY show or instead.  I really need to get on things.
I am the baseball.

nick

Quote from: Not Jason on June 12, 2006, 04:56:18 pm
It looks like I may be able to see either the DC or VA show.Ã,  I'm not sure if that is in conjunction with the NY show or instead.Ã,  I really need to get on things.

or, you could go to the new york show with me and my girlfriend.  we both know NYC slightly (her better than i), and we're not going to try to eat you.  probably.  but yeah, we're hoping to go, cuz its too good to miss.