April 29, 2024, 11:41:52 am

News:

Don't smoke m3th!

Is Ozma your favorite band?

Started by Potentially Tim, November 11, 2004, 01:05:54 am

Previous topic - Next topic

WhoYouCallinWeez

o ok i gotcha. i wonder were "oh jeez..." went to, i wanna hear what he has to say about it all

CT-700

I knew ska went back to atleast the '70s, but apparently the all-knowing-and-much-vandalized Wikipedia says the genre is from the pre-WWII time period. Before knowing this, the earliest example I knew of was The Specials' hit, "A Message To You Rudy". Even though I've heard that the above mentioned song is also in fact a cover of a '60s song.

I like ozma

Elliott

Ska drew music styles from early bop rock and jazz and mixed with island music such as calypso, I think anyways. Around the 50's and 60's mostly I guess. Then out of ska grew reggae.

Oh Jeez...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but, didn't ska and rock emerge at about the same time, around the early 50's late 40's? it changed as the world conditions changed, a lot like rock. I think reggae popped up around the late 50's. Reggae reminds me more of the blues and ska, I think, has the same attitude as rock, ever-changing along with the attitudes of culture and adapting to situations around the individual artists. Reggae, concerning the blues, stemming from african origins and usually themed with ideals about coping with bad situations and about close knit community activity, modeled after african tribes, which in my opinion have to do a lot with the Rastafarian beliefs about being stolen and returning to the promised land (Africa) If that makes any sense at all (I'm out of long-winded breath!)
Just pretend I didn't say anything at all...

I like ozma

yeah i feel a lot of blues in reggae, not so much in ska

Oh Jeez...

Yeah, I read that reggae developed when radios were affordable to jamaicans, so radio and american black pop culture influenced reggae... cause it developed after... mmyeah...
Just pretend I didn't say anything at all...