News:

Don't smoke m3th!

Pasadena Album Synopsis

Started by Fantastic Max, May 02, 2007, 04:05:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

cesarsalad

Quote from: Fantastic Max on May 08, 2007, 08:12:41 am
Quote from: cesarsalad on May 07, 2007, 01:26:02 pm
after a few more listens, i gotta admit, i don't know how ryen does it but this fight the darkness song has definitely grown on me.

the album is pretty damn good. i agree with the comment about the production -- this album has excellent production!! way better than stotb's.
Me too, although, Im still iffy about Barriers  :-\

heh... i liked barriers from the very first time i listened to it.

Seb

I'll keep this brief, as I'm hopefully doing a proper review of this for my site in the next week or so, and I doubt anyone actually reads everyone else's track-by-tracks anyway, but :

The utterly awesome : Straight Flush (one of my favourite Brummel songs of all time, I think), Motorology (even my non-Ozma-liking girlfriend likes this), No-One Needs To Know, Incarnation Blues, Heartache vs Heartache

The pretty darned good : I Wonder, Underneath My Tree, Barriers, the first thirty seconds or so of Lunchbreak when it sounds like a fun rock 'n' roll musical pastiche

The eh, not so much : Eponine, Fight The Darkness

The ew, no : the rest of Lunchbreak

So all in all, it's a success, and contains some of the best material they've ever recorded. But bits of it still sound a bit too high-schooley. Somewhere between three and four stars for me, I think.
"Just tell me one thing - is this business, or is it personal? Because if it's business, then I'll go away happily. But if it's personal? I'll go away. But I won't be happy."

icecreamman

Brummel's voice is just ridiculously sweet on this album.  It is so powerful.

falyn

stream my radio show on mondays 7-8 pm @ http://www.wvum.org

CT-700

Quote from: icecreamman on May 08, 2007, 11:25:50 am
Brummel's voice is just ridiculously sweet on this album.  It is so powerful.

Yes, I fully take back anything I said about his voice from last week.

cesarsalad

Quote from: Seb on May 08, 2007, 10:46:14 am
I'll keep this brief, as I'm hopefully doing a proper review of this for my site in the next week or so, and I doubt anyone actually reads everyone else's track-by-tracks anyway, but :

The utterly awesome : Straight Flush (one of my favourite Brummel songs of all time, I think), Motorology (even my non-Ozma-liking girlfriend likes this), No-One Needs To Know, Incarnation Blues, Heartache vs Heartache

The pretty darned good : I Wonder, Underneath My Tree, Barriers, the first thirty seconds or so of Lunchbreak when it sounds like a fun rock 'n' roll musical pastiche

So all in all, it's a success, and contains some of the best material they've ever recorded. But bits of it still sound a bit too high-schooley. Somewhere between three and four stars for me, I think.

aw. lunchbreak is my favorite song on the album :)

Fantastic Max

Quote from: cesarsalad on May 08, 2007, 04:12:41 pm
Quote from: Seb on May 08, 2007, 10:46:14 am

aw. lunchbreak is my favorite song on the album :)

Yeah. haha..I used to think that, but now the rest of the song has grown on me :P
"Cross my heart, hope to die, stick a pizza in my mouth."
-Donkey Lips

Brady

Took me about 3-4 listens through the album.  The only song I'm not digging but can handle is Lunchbreak...everything else is golden for me.  Oh joy.

savewhatyouare

i used to dislike 'fight the darkness,' now i can't stop dancing to it.

cesarsalad

fight the darkness gets the title for most difference between first impression and current impression. why do i like it so much

Kyosho

The phrase "fight the darkness" is said 20 times in the song. Wow.

That said, I still quite enjoy the song. (still miss Into Light!)
I'll be rising high above the earth so soon, and the tears I cry might turn into the rain that gently falls upon your window. You'll never know.

I Like Ozma

the biggest improvement to the "demo" songs on the album is that i think they found a way to change straight flush into a song that feels like its dragging to a slower rock song that sounds cool.
Quote from: Elliott on December 09, 2006, 03:02:12 pm
Good point, too bad theyre gonna criticize you now.

brad

Quote from: Kyosho on May 11, 2007, 01:45:12 pm
The phrase "fight the darkness" is said 20 times in the song. Wow.

and how many time is "can't you hear the words i sing?" said in eponine? 16?

hipsun

Quote from: I Like Ozma on May 11, 2007, 03:58:37 pm
the biggest improvement to the "demo" songs on the album is that i think they found a way to change straight flush into a song that feels like its dragging to a slower rock song that sounds cool.

straight flush on the record is the demo with a few vocal overdubs. i wonder is the demo with strings added at the end.

I Like Ozma

Quote from: hipsun on May 11, 2007, 04:16:02 pm
Quote from: I Like Ozma on May 11, 2007, 03:58:37 pm

straight flush on the record is the demo with a few vocal overdubs. i wonder is the demo with strings added at the end.

what i meant to say was that "they found a way to change straight flush from a song that feels like its dragging into a slower rock song that sounds cool"

ireadcomics

It's been so long since I used this site I forgot all my info. But I re registered because I want to see how the other fans thought of something. I've been an Ozma fan since the beginning and though I really like Pasadena, it's just sitting awkwardly with me. I miss the catchy keyboard melodies from RRRpt3 and DDD. Does this strike a chord with anyone else?

I Like Ozma

thats how i felt when the demo's came out, but now that the album is almost out i think we have all come to terms with it. i do however wish this album had all that classic ozma stuff though.

tom

Quote from: ireadcomics on May 12, 2007, 10:35:50 am
It's been so long since I used this site I forgot all my info. But I re registered because I want to see how the other fans thought of something. I've been an Ozma fan since the beginning and though I really like Pasadena, it's just sitting awkwardly with me. I miss the catchy keyboard melodies from RRRpt3 and DDD. Does this strike a chord with anyone else?
Did you listen to Pasadena? Because there is some pretty damn catchy keyboard melodies on there. It may not be sugar-coated pop like they used to be, but they still write fantastic songs.

CT-700

Quote from: tom on May 12, 2007, 11:48:55 am
Did you listen to Pasadena? Because there is some pretty damn catchy keyboard melodies on there. It may not be sugar-coated pop like they used to be, but they still write fantastic songs.

Exactly what tom said. Plus even if someone is yearning for the old songs, there are two on the album. Plus the coveted release of d-song. You can find the dualing guitar/synth solo sound on just about every song except I Wonder. And if I say so myself, they really upped the anty in the production of those sounds with all the harmonized layers and such. Extremely effective.

ireadcomics

Quote from: CT-700 on May 12, 2007, 12:45:11 pm
Quote from: tom on May 12, 2007, 11:48:55 am

Exactly what tom said. Plus even if someone is yearning for the old songs, there are two on the album. Plus the coveted release of d-song. You can find the dualing guitar/synth solo sound on just about every song except I Wonder. And if I say so myself, they really upped the anty in the production of those sounds with all the harmonized layers and such. Extremely effective.

Please don't miss construe my post. I really like the new album and though there are a couple of oldies on there, I still yearn for the Domino Effect-esque, power keyboard type of lead melody. Believe me, I am digging this new album but it's no secret their style has changed some since their earlier work. 

Cremo

does anyone listen to the intro of motorology and expect it to kick into incarnation blues after the drum machine intro :D

all in all though it's a good album, i wasn't expecting to hear anything from ozma again when they broke up so anything is a plus.

Rome

D song and I wonder are my favorite.

edit** and both ryen's and daniels voices are fantastic.

Andy

Quote from: JordanInHelsinki on May 08, 2007, 08:20:47 am
motorology is about back to the future, right?

i just got that... this morning... in the shower.

-Jordan  :)

It's by dan, so probably.

I Like Ozma

May 13, 2007, 08:14:51 am #113 Last Edit: May 13, 2007, 08:56:41 am by I Like Ozma
i dont like the vocals in d-song as much as i should. and the guitar when they say "when it fell"

I'm not sure if i've mentioned this yet, but when i was taking a rock and roll history class we were talking about the twelve bar blues and that was when ozma first got back together, so i messaged them on myspace, but i never heard anything back and now "incarnation blues" is out, i'm not too sure if it was written in the twelve bar blues, but it kind of sounds like it plus it has the word blues in it! i just wanted someone from ozma to either confirm or deny the fact that they wrote this song because of my brilliant idea

another thing, i think d-song is pasadena's "shooting stars"

The Other Mike

12 bar blues, eh?  I'm sure that dan, as a music major, never stumbled across that one.

Oh, and it's not. Check the tab that was posted if you want evidence of that.
blackjack1084 (11:02:36 PM): eat my ass
blackjack1084 (11:02:38 PM): and get a life

www.myspace.com/therattlesnakes

tom

Quote from: Cremo on May 12, 2007, 04:39:10 pm
does anyone listen to the intro of motorology and expect it to kick into incarnation blues after the drum machine intro :D
Yeah, I do all the time, even if I've heard the record like 20 times now.

Andy

May 13, 2007, 07:01:36 pm #116 Last Edit: May 13, 2007, 07:04:35 pm by Andy
oh. it's available on itunes.
oh.

and the order is different...

no one needs to know
barriers
eponine
fight the darkness
heartache
etc on from there ...

Seb

Quote from: Andy on May 13, 2007, 07:01:36 pm
oh. it's available on itunes.
oh.

and the order is different...

no one needs to know
barriers
eponine
fight the darkness
heartache
etc on from there ...

Um, that's the order as it's meant to be, isn't it? It's definitely the order as listed on the back cover, on the leaked version, and the order that the lyrics were posted in. Surely it's just Myspace that's got it wrong?
"Just tell me one thing - is this business, or is it personal? Because if it's business, then I'll go away happily. But if it's personal? I'll go away. But I won't be happy."

FireAarro

Quote from: I Like Ozma on May 13, 2007, 08:14:51 am
another thing, i think d-song is pasadena's "shooting stars"

The start of these sound a bit similar to me.
Unterreiner is tall and surprisingly thin, given that the floor of his closet is stacked high with junk food. Boxes and bags of Doritos, Twinkies and Ho-Hos spill out onto the floor. He has towels around his window to keep out the cold air at night. "I hate this old house," he said bitterly, then changed the name of an unfinished track to "Cold Day."

Rome

what?!?!

aside from the guitar being strummed in a similar fasion, they sound nothing alike. not to mention there is a piano in d song.

weirdos