April 29, 2024, 02:40:01 pm

News:

Maxwell T: @AmishJoe wait are you Jason

question: does anyone know how ozmas album sales are coming along?

Started by I Like Ozma, May 23, 2007, 06:36:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

I Like Ozma

Quote from: Elliott on December 09, 2006, 03:02:12 pm
Good point, too bad theyre gonna criticize you now.

heysarahsarah

Quote from: I Like Ozma on May 23, 2007, 06:36:10 pm
and whether or not eponine has gotten any airplay?

Eponine has indeed gotten airplay..it was played on KROC.  I think some other stations here have played it as well.
Bob511i: But SARAH is my <3

No day but today.

Fantastic Max

I don't think anyone of us would know how sales are, nor does the band probably know till after a longer time.
"Cross my heart, hope to die, stick a pizza in my mouth."
-Donkey Lips

Colt45

Quote from: Fantastic Max on May 23, 2007, 10:29:26 pm
I don't think anyone of us would know how sales are, nor does the band probably know till after a longer time.

they could know if they want to, it's not that hard.

they didn't chart in the top 200 so it can't be more thank 5-15,000 units.
Senor Beavis! Donde Esta Tu Hall Pass?

Not Jason

It makes sense to me that the album sales would be low at this point, but that's not necessarily cause for discouragement.  At this point, post hiatus on a new label and all, they are essentially a new band as far as marketting goes.  If they manage to get it on the air and such, it'll grow, but I'm sure the initial numbers were to existing fans, and there are only really so many of us out there.
You and I were the extremities
I am the baseball.

Kyosho

Quote from: heysarahsarah on May 23, 2007, 07:50:45 pm

Eponine has indeed gotten airplay..it was played on KROC.  I think some other stations here have played it as well.

You're in California, aren't you? No offense, but I don't think that counts as much. From what I've heard, Ozma has always had a decent following in Cali. I don't find it surprising that it was played. What I would find surprising would be if it were played on the east coast or something.
I'll be rising high above the earth so soon, and the tears I cry might turn into the rain that gently falls upon your window. You'll never know.

antiuser

The End in Seattle played Eponine at least a couple times in the past few weeks.

heysarahsarah

Quote from: Kyosho on May 24, 2007, 11:10:12 am

You're in California, aren't you? No offense, but I don't think that counts as much. From what I've heard, Ozma has always had a decent following in Cali. I don't find it surprising that it was played. What I would find surprising would be if it were played on the east coast or something.

I don't know that they have always been played on mainstream stations, as opposed to say, college stations.

I think it counts just as much...there are a LOT of people in CA, so a radio spot on one of the big rock stations in LA or the bay area will potentially reach more people. 

I would imagine it wouldn't be unheard of for them to get played on Boston or NY stations.  That would be cool.

No day but today.

danorganplayer

Well i think its hard for them to get good album sales..When the cd is hard as hell to find in a store to begin with..

Especially the east coast..I love the band and i still havent gotten the cd.

THe only way is through ordering, and lots of people wont do that...just cuz.

heysarahsarah

Whats wrong with ordering it online?

It's on sale at amazon, and will end up being just as cheap as buying it at Best Buy or whatever, and get to you pretty quickly.

No day but today.

danorganplayer

People like going to the store and buying cd's..

No one likes a wait..or paying extra just to get it sooner..
Plus if your a person new to the band or you dont really know the band, online is not the way to go.

If I really havent heard of them, and lets just say im looking at cds, and it catches my interest, that would only happen at a store.

I just know a lot of people that was planning on buying them but after realizing they werent gonna be in stores, they arent even gonna bother...

i will though.

jvstin

Quote from: heysarahsarah on May 24, 2007, 12:07:13 pm

I don't know that they have always been played on mainstream stations, as opposed to say, college stations.

i heard they were played on live 105 at least once.
"in the immortal words of Thomas G. Warrior: ughhhhh!!"

The Argyle Rebellion

I have my copy of Pasadena only due to the fact that I ordered it online.

Other than that, I have yet to see exhibit A of them being sold in stores, although I have not checked Borders lately.  Best Buy and Circuit City didn't even have the album, yet when Ozma was on Kung Fu, they had copies of all three albums.

The radio airplay is good... I turned on Indie 103.1 recently and just heard the tail end of Eponine.  It was pretty weird.  If they could get it going full steam, I think there might be a good chance of them doing well.

I'm sorry to question the label, but why the lack of promotion?  Even Kung Fu was able to get it into stores.  I understand the Weezer "word-of-mouth" approach, but damn, hard to get word of mouth when you can't find it in stores.

Sincerely,
R.C.

heysarahsarah

Quote from: danorganplayer on May 24, 2007, 02:44:00 pm
People like going to the store and buying cd's..

No one likes a wait..or paying extra just to get it sooner..
Plus if your a person new to the band or you dont really know the band, online is not the way to go.

If I really havent heard of them, and lets just say im looking at cds, and it catches my interest, that would only happen at a store.

I just know a lot of people that was planning on buying them but after realizing they werent gonna be in stores, they arent even gonna bother...

i will though.

Yeah, I don't buy that.  People who havent heard of the band are not going to randomly pick it up in the store.  They would be significantly more likely to hear of the band through myspace and then decided to order it online, where they can also conveniently read reviews and listen to samples.

I think in this day and age more and more people are willing to purchase online.  Especially since most brick and mortar stores these days are getting really expensive.  Plus, stores really dont have the option of "Hey I like XYZ band...what do other people who like this band buy?" whereas Amazon has that built into the site.  It also remembers purchases you make.  I bought DDD off Amazon like 5 years ago, and when I logged in after the album had been released, it popped up recommending Pasadena to me. 

Seriously, who buys albums completely blind these days?

No day but today.

Brady

No one, absolutely no one.  I think we all kinda know Ozma isn't going to get much further than they are.  It's just the way it worked out.

heysarahsarah

Quote from: Brady on May 25, 2007, 02:32:38 am
No one, absolutely no one.  I think we all kinda know Ozma isn't going to get much further than they are.  It's just the way it worked out.

Who knows?  Before they were the sole pop outfit on a punk label...I think they sorta got maligned in the process (through no purposeful action of Kung Fu..I truly think they intended to expand their sound and then just didn't have the capital to do too much more.  I think they tried to do the best for Ozma, but in the end, it was def best for the band to part ways with them).  About a Girl is a Sony owned label, and as such, will eventually have really good distribution.  You might not find it in stores RIGHT NOW, given that it was JUST LAUNCHED, but I'm sure Sony has deals with all major retailers, and it'll be there.  They are a new band on that label, if a band with an existing following, so I think they are just figuring out how to market them.  Who knows?  I'd like to see them be more successful than they were previously, though obviously there are so many bands out there.

The way we can help them the most is by supporting them.  You like Ozma?  Go to their concerts.  Bring all your friends.  Buy merch from them.  Call your radio stations and bug them to play Eponine/songs off Pasadena.  Tell all your friends to check them out/add them on myspace.  Tons of people here are at college, with college radio stations, push heavily to play them on there.  Charting on CMJ is important too! 

I hate to sound like a cheerleader, but there's no reason for the fans to be pessimistic. 

No day but today.

Seb

Well, they've just made one more sale. I was very, very pleasantly surprised to see it in HMV on Oxford Street, London this afternoon! And, despite the fact that it was an import, only for eleven English pounds! And and and, they didn't just have the one copy, they had three or four!

They've got one less, now, but still. I was expecting to have to either wait weeks for Amazon to find me a copy, or spend about sixteen quid picking it up in HMV or somewhere. MAH-vellous.

It now feels faintly strange to have bought something with artwork by Mr Hay-Chapman on it, but also vaguely fulfilling ;)
"Just tell me one thing - is this business, or is it personal? Because if it's business, then I'll go away happily. But if it's personal? I'll go away. But I won't be happy."

tom

SEB...if you send me a copy of an imported copy from America, is it still an import?

ps - ozma deserves better fans, half of these retards (not really the GOD so much), are only here for socializing.

Martha Gail

Oh, now that's a rude thing to say.  When this forum was made it was after the band had broken up and we stayed together because we liked this online community.  So the band got back together.  We have to stop talking in OT now?

I think after the tour is when they'll see the sales.  We're having a hard time finding it around here so most everyone I know is planning on picking it up at the show and that's not for a couple weeks.
That's Cobra on Cobra action.

Oatmeal

I live in California and I would be very suprised to hear ozma on the radio before. I even would be suprised to speak to someone who knew of ozma. If I were to live in LA, maybee then I wouldent have been too suprised to hear them on the radio. Just becuase the many good bands come out of LA dosent mean much califronia radio sations play it.
Quote from: antiuser on December 09, 2007, 11:35:30 am
There aren't many bands out there that treat their fans like Ozma does.
http://oatmealmp3blog.blogspot.com/

Джесси

Quote from: Martha Gail on May 25, 2007, 01:09:46 pm
I think after the tour is when they'll see the sales.  We're having a hard time finding it around here so most everyone I know is planning on picking it up at the show and that's not for a couple weeks.

I agree. I know I'm trying to get some of my friends back home to go to the show in Houston, and that Thomas and Alex are trying to recruit some of their friends to the show in Dallas. Hopefully we can create new fans out of our friends  :) I know I'll be picking up at least two albums from the show, maybe three.
ТолÃ'Å'ко гÃ'â,¬Ã'Ð´Ã'Æ'Ã'‰ÐµÐµ - облаÃ'Ã'‚Ã'Å' поÃ'Ã'‚а.

Kris Danger

Handclaps is taking "pasadena" up to the only station around here that plays good music. with any luck they will play it a few times before the dallas show. we are on good terms with their jocks so we will see. ps-the only place i could find the cd was at virgin mega store.

Джесси

Quote from: Kris Danger on May 26, 2007, 10:17:01 am
Handclaps is taking "pasadena" up to the only station around here that plays good music.

Would that be 88.7?
ТолÃ'Å'ко гÃ'â,¬Ã'Ð´Ã'Æ'Ã'‰ÐµÐµ - облаÃ'Ã'‚Ã'Å' поÃ'Ã'‚а.

Volt

They play Ozma quite a lot around here. I've heard multiple songs (Eponine being an obvious favorite) played on DC101 and The Rocket, and I actually heard a DJ on one of the stations (can't remember which) mention the album. That's about it, though, I honestly can't find anyone around where I live who's as into Ozma as I am (other than my sister)

Not Jason

I'm late to reply, I know, but I do think that airplay in California is extremely meaningful.  I realize there are other hotspots in the country for music, but California is one of the few places that has consistently set trends for the rest of the country.  There are a lot of people in California, and a lot of bands competing for the spotlight.  It's not like me getting my band played on the local college station.  Read a handful of band bios, and see how many times people mention "KROC" in the same paragraph as the phrase "big break".  Maybe I'm biased from listening to so much California music, but I think it's noteworthy that people all over the world know of that station.  Radio play in other places, regardless of how far removed from the band's headquarters, is comparitively almost trivial.  I could get all the stations in Maine to play the new Ozma record constantly, but combined, it's probably a fair bet that they would have less meaningful impact than KROC's endorsement.

And seriously, lack of availability in stores does slow people down from buying a record.  Say I'm on the fence about buying something.  I'll go to the store with my fourteen bucks, and see if it's there.  If it's not, I'll just go buy something else.  I'm not going to turn around and go home and buy it on the internet.  If I really really want it, I will, but if my interest is more casual, I'll just invest my money into other options that are readily available with no waiting.  I only own two Mirah records because that's all the record store ever caries.  If they were in stock, I'd have her entire discography by now.  It so happens that the part of me that buys records is the impulsive part of me.  When I get home, I have time to think about it, and I realize that I have too many fucking bills to buy more CDs.  So instead of ordering a copy of "Storage Land", I make do without it.  I am NOT the only person in the world who does this.
You and I were the extremities
I am the baseball.

danorganplayer

"I'll go to the store with my fourteen bucks, and see if it's there.  If it's not, I'll just go buy something else.  I'm not going to turn around and go home and buy it on the internet. "

Thankyou thats exactly what I was trying to say..I know a lot of people that were gonna buy it and i got them into the band..but the fact that it wasnt there they dont care to get it now..

Andy

The only store within 50 miles of where I live (LI) that had Pasadena was a Borders out by the mall. They had a grand total of two in stock, and we were the first to buy them.
Not sure why they ordered two.
But it was the surprise of the century.

Tri$tan

I heard Eponine on 101.7FNX the other day.

I was so confused.
Quote from: Golden Laser Sword on May 20, 2010, 05:36:25 am
It is funny how you can get tired of something someone does, and the other person ends up being the sympathetic character. It feels like some shitty Apatow movie.

Kyosho

Oh, I'm not saying getting airplay on a big station in California isn't important. I just mean that they've not made it big until they've got national play. I'm sure there are plenty of bands that were played on big stations in California but still didn't make it. I'm not being a pessimist really, just restating my opinion that it doesn't surprise me, and what would is if they were played elsewhere.

Oh, and guys, would you mind saying where your station you heard it on is located? For instance, Tristan, that's a Boston station, isn't it? That's a good thing.
I'll be rising high above the earth so soon, and the tears I cry might turn into the rain that gently falls upon your window. You'll never know.

Tri$tan

Quote from: tom on May 25, 2007, 11:55:29 am
ps - ozma deserves better fans, half of these retards (not really the GOD so much), are only here for socializing.

I figured I didn't have to post my location besides identifying the station BECAUSE a lot of regulars already know I'm from Boston.

but yes, this is "significant" but FNX is usually pretty awesome about breaking in new bands/tracks. The leaked track of "Beverley Hills" by Weezer was leaked by an FNX jock (you can hear the station promo in it) among other things.
Quote from: Golden Laser Sword on May 20, 2010, 05:36:25 am
It is funny how you can get tired of something someone does, and the other person ends up being the sympathetic character. It feels like some shitty Apatow movie.