May 02, 2024, 06:09:34 am

News:

Maxwell T: @AmishJoe wait are you Jason

Whohooo!!!! Ozma with the Rentals July 7th 2006

Started by tis not mike other, May 11, 2006, 03:38:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

tis not mike other

May 11, 2006, 03:38:01 pm Last Edit: May 11, 2006, 03:50:36 pm by oatmeal
"(The Rentals)Worldwide dates are in the works, kicking off July 2nd in Solana Beach, CA and their first Los Angeles show in over a decade, July 7th, at The Henry Fonda Theatre followed by two nights at the Yokohama Arena in Japan (dates below). Additional North American and European dates will be announced shortly.Ã,  The band hopes to hit the studio later this year to record a new full-length album for release in 2007.

So there you have it folks. The Rentals are back!Ã,  Ã, ...it's official.

Tickets for The Henry Fonda show go on sale this Saturday, May 13.

We are very honored to announce that OZMA will be opening the festivities.

http://www.henryfondatheater.com/07_calendar.htm

Spread the word, tell your friends and join in the celebration."

http://www.therentals.com/return/

WHohoooooooo! Man I hope I can go! You guys wanna go? I know seven minutes is ok but man you just got to love the return of the rentals cd. I just found that cd a couple of days ok(i had lost it for abou 2.5 years) and I have been listening to it alot then I heard the news. Man two of some of the greatest bands of modren back together and playing together.

I like ozma

wouldnt that be something if they were opening for weezer and ozma was opening for them.

Zombie Don Ho

yeah, that sounds pretty rockin'.

Who would have ever thought?

tis not mike other

yeah I know. Thats what I wanted to happen when I heard they were both back together but I didnt really think it would.

Not Jason

Quote from: I loma zike on May 11, 2006, 04:55:29 pm
wouldnt that be something if they were opening for weezer and ozma was opening for them.

fuck weezer.  it's cool enough as it is.
You and I were the extremities
I am the baseball.

Cheese

Oh for the love of God PLEASE come around here.

amish

:wave: and here, please. goooo Boston! (Or Dover, NH if you're really feeling generous. I've got an apartment you can find some floor space to sleep on.)

Fantastic Max

Quote from: I loma zike on May 11, 2006, 04:55:29 pm
I think a better lineup would be Weezer opening for Rentals, opening up for the headlining OZMA
"Cross my heart, hope to die, stick a pizza in my mouth."
-Donkey Lips

funwithsponges

Pretty sure the best lineup doesn't involve Weezer, unless you can somehow invent a time machine, or at least some sort of way to make Rivers not a little bitch.

k24

i think this will be a cool show

Cheese

Quote from: funwithsponges on May 12, 2006, 09:01:23 pm
Pretty sure the best lineup doesn't involve Weezer, unless you can somehow invent a time machine, or at least some sort of way to make Rivers not a little bitch.

I am so plus one-ing your ass every day for a week.   :D

ironbird

why is there no information about the matt sharp website?????  Why did i have to go the weezer website and the ozma website to find out this info????  crazy!!!!  i think its quite obvious now that Matt sharp was the brains behind weezer.  what real music has weezer put forth since Matt left after Pinkerton??????  i would like to see Matt work with together with Weezer again, but i guess that's not for this form.
If you're reading this then you have no life!  Go ask a girl out or something!ãâ,¬â,¬Ã£â,¬â,¬Ã£ÂÂ¾Ã£Ââ€˜Ã£Ââ€žÃ£ÂÂ¬

Nordel

7/7 at the Henry Fonda in L.A. God, I wish I could be there.

tis not mike other

Its on the rentals webpage. Yeah I dont think weezer will ever be aa good as before. Matt sharp I think had alot to do with it but so did Rivers. He changed over time and his music changed with him. For the worse.  I dont think its very possible for him to change back. Although there are couple good new weezer songs they just dont compare with old weezer.

Anyways I just got six tickets! wohooo!

tis not mike other

May 15, 2006, 08:52:15 am #14 Last Edit: May 15, 2006, 09:01:32 am by oatmeal
Oh yeah I know man. This may go down in geek rock history.

in case you missed it:
http://www.ozmafans.com/forum/index.php?topic=1927.0  <----this one has the disscusion.

or

http://www.ozmafans.com/forum/index.php?topic=1934.0   <----this one is a poll

I just bought six tickets but that still dosent inssure that I can go. The fact that I dont have are car, or a permit does not help much. Hehe.

Not Jason

Quote from: ironbird on May 15, 2006, 02:24:55 am
i think its quite obvious now that Matt sharp was the brains behind weezer.

I think people are a little stupid if they actually believe this.  Matt Sharp's contributions to the blue album were simple root note basslines that absolutely anyone who's been playing for more than a month could have provided (this isn't to say they are bad, but be honest with yourselves).  Only twice on the album do his lines do anything melodic, and even those are pretty basic.  And yeah, his playing on pinkerton was more ambitious, but at most, it was one of many things that contributed to the overall quality of that record.  If you actually pick apart one of the more ambitious pinkerton songs, you'll find something extremely technically baffling.  Based on typical Rentals song structure, I think one could only be naive if they thought that Matt was responsible for that.  True, Matt is a quirky songwriter, prone to some unusual key changes, but that's nothing compared to the sort of transitions that happen 2 or 3 times per song occaisionally on pinkerton.  Weezer's drop in quality probably rests squarely on river's shoulders.  There are plenty of factors readily apparent as to why Weezer's quality dropped after Matt left, but I don't think any of them have to do with the lack of his playing.

To get back on topic, I love the rentals, I wish I could go.
I am the baseball.

tis not mike other

Not to keep off topic but this quote explains why I thought matt sharp had a bigger part in weezer
"Around the same time, Sharp surprisingly slapped a lawsuit on Weezer, claiming that he helped co-write such songs as the aforementioned ââ,¬Å"Undone (the Sweater Song),ââ,¬Â plus most of the tracks on Pinkerton, and assorted compositions that appeared as b-sides and motion picture soundtracks." -http://www.nipp.com/artists/detail/matt-sharp

But I guess it was just his claims.

Quote from: Not Jason on May 15, 2006, 12:17:12 pm

And yeah, his playing on pinkerton was more ambitious, but at most, it was one of many things that contributed to the overall quality of that record. If you actually pick apart one of the more ambitious pinkerton songs, you'll find something extremely technically baffling. Based on typical Rentals song structure, I think one could only be naive if they thought that Matt was responsible for that. True, Matt is a quirky songwriter, prone to some unusual key changes, but that's nothing compared to the sort of transitions that happen 2 or 3 times per song occaisionally on pinkerton. Weezer's drop in quality probably rests squarely on river's shoulders.

Good points. Thoes points seem to prove Matts statements that he wrote many of the songs as wrong. However I thinks its still a possiblity that  he is telling the truth.

Not Jason

Perhaps he did "co-write" them, but "co-wrote" is a very loose term, it can imply any degree of involvement in the creative process depending on who says it.  Arguably, laying a bassline down in a song could contribute towards making it yours, or you could say "unless you did 50% or more of the work, it's not yours." (a very hard measure to make with these things and very hard to prove).  It seems to me that while Matt's work with the rentals was no doubt influenced a lot by his work in Weezer, the differences are marked enough so that I'd doubt he deserves flat out "writing" credit on any Weezer song.  And despite my suspicion and my previous post, no, I don't know what went on in the writing process of early weezer songs, but it seems to me that the burden of Weezer suckitude rests squarely on Rivers.  I don't think it really makes a lick of difference who's playing bass with them.
I am the baseball.

FireAarro

If you actually pick apart one of the more ambitious pinkerton songs, you'll find something extremely technically baffling.

What are you referring to, specifically?
Unterreiner is tall and surprisingly thin, given that the floor of his closet is stacked high with junk food. Boxes and bags of Doritos, Twinkies and Ho-Hos spill out onto the floor. He has towels around his window to keep out the cold air at night. "I hate this old house," he said bitterly, then changed the name of an unfinished track to "Cold Day."

tis not mike other

This quote abot Rivers recently influening Matt is kind of scary.

"Rivers and I got to spend some time doing some writing together, and he really started talking to me about writing more concise songs, that expressed a lot with a lot of economy. Instead of doing what I had been doing, which was taking as much time as you want to say what you need to say. And there were a lot of really good things that came out of those times that we spent together. There's too many people who have had an influence on why I'm at where I'm at, to say there's a single person like that. But there's certainly a part of it in there that he shares."

Yes moving to more concise songs would probally better but what does he mean about this righting style effecting the economy? I hope Rivers chat wont effect Matts music to get more comercial bassed like his. 

Colt45

Quote from: oatmeal on May 16, 2006, 07:33:40 am

"Rivers and I got to spend some time doing some writing together, and he really started talking to me about writing more concise songs, that expressed a lot with a lot of economy. Instead of doing what I had been doing, which was taking as much time as you want to say what you need to say. And there were a lot of really good things that came out of those times that we spent together. There's too many people who have had an influence on why I'm at where I'm at, to say there's a single person like that. But there's certainly a part of it in there that he shares."

Yes moving to more concise songs would probally better but what does he mean about this righting style effecting the economy? I hope Rivers chat wont effect Matts music to get more comercial bassed like his.Ã, 

matt was better at writing popier stuff
Senor Beavis! Donde Esta Tu Hall Pass?

The Other Mike

Quote from: oatmeal on May 16, 2006, 07:33:40 am

Yes moving to more concise songs would probally better but what does he mean about this righting style effecting the economy? I hope Rivers chat wont effect Matts music to get more comercial bassed like his. 

I think that is the most hilarious conclusion anyone could come to about that quote.

for the record "economy" doesn't always refer to money.  The phrase "fuel economy" when refering to gas mileage is one example of this.
blackjack1084 (11:02:36 PM): eat my ass
blackjack1084 (11:02:38 PM): and get a life

www.myspace.com/therattlesnakes

Not Jason

Quote from: FireAarro on May 15, 2006, 10:55:58 pm
If you actually pick apart one of the more ambitious pinkerton songs, you'll find something extremely technically baffling.

What are you referring to, specifically?

A good example would be something like "Falling for You".  It's a song made up of relatively simple progressions, but some of the changes are weird.  The first verse and chorus are in E, it goes into D for the solo before switching to Em for the bridge, and the outro chorus is played 3 half steps higher than either of the previous choruses.  It's kind of fucked up.

Or take something like "Across the Sea" and tell me that the chords durring the solo make any sense to you at all.  The song starts in G, takes you on this crazy joyride through semitone land durring the solo, and then drops you off in E major for the bridge.  And then it makes a really sudden transition back to the paralell key for the rest of the song.

The solo in "The Good Life" should speak for itself.

on topic:  yay rentals!
I am the baseball.

savewhatyouare

here's a question.

why exactly did Matt leave =W=?

joshbdork

also I believe it is an 18+ show.
Matt left weezer to persue The Rentals as not just a side band. And you kids can argue for years about how much influence matt had with weezer, but only matt, rivers and the rest of the guys will ever know the truth.  I've asked many such as matt, rivers, and karl before and no one will give you a straight answer. Also you guys should go post at the Rentals boards. We are fun, I swear

tis not mike other

Quote from: The Other Mike on May 16, 2006, 11:39:26 am

for the record "economy" doesn't always refer to money.Ã,  The phrase "fuel economy" when refering to gas mileage is one example of this.

Yeah thats why I said I dont know what he means by it. Yeah it is funny know I look at what ive said it made more sense then.

Not Jason

What is meant by "economy" in that quote is a song that expresses a lot very efficiently, meaning using as few words as possible to describe as much as possible.  In that example, it has nothing to do with "the economy" in terms of money and the things that are often associated with that word.  Think of it like this:  if a car is economical, it goes as far as it possibly can with as little gas as possible.  He's using the word similarly to speak of songwriting resources.
I am the baseball.

amish

Quote from: savewhatyouare on May 16, 2006, 03:21:50 pm
here's a question.

why exactly did Matt leave =W=?
a question better asked in Off Topic.

Ozma needs to play in New England. I will keep saying it until it happens.

That, or they need to be in Florida the weekend of June 24th. Or following/touring with my cruise the five days following.

I like ozma

I think people are a little stupid if they actually believe this.  Matt Sharp's contributions to the blue album were simple root note basslines that absolutely anyone who's been playing for more than a month could have provided (this isn't to say they are bad, but be honest with yourselves).  Only twice on the album do his lines do anything melodic, and even those are pretty basic.  And yeah, his playing on pinkerton was more ambitious, but at most, it was one of many things that contributed to the overall quality of that record.  If you actually pick apart one of the more ambitious pinkerton songs, you'll find something extremely technically baffling.  Based on typical Rentals song structure, I think one could only be naive if they thought that Matt was responsible for that.  True, Matt is a quirky songwriter, prone to some unusual key changes, but that's nothing compared to the sort of transitions that happen 2 or 3 times per song occaisionally on pinkerton.  Weezer's drop in quality probably rests squarely on river's shoulders.  There are plenty of factors readily apparent as to why Weezer's quality dropped after Matt left, but I don't think any of them have to do with the lack of his playing.

not to start a fight or anything, but maybe its just those simple notes that he did contribute that made the blue album so great, rather than having gay intros like on "perfect situation"

Not Jason

Quote from: I loma zike on May 16, 2006, 09:32:44 pm

I think people are a little stupid if they actually believe this.Ã,  Matt Sharp's contributions to the blue album were simple root note basslines that absolutely anyone who's been playing for more than a month could have provided (this isn't to say they are bad, but be honest with yourselves).Ã,  Only twice on the album do his lines do anything melodic, and even those are pretty basic.Ã,  And yeah, his playing on pinkerton was more ambitious, but at most, it was one of many things that contributed to the overall quality of that record.Ã,  If you actually pick apart one of the more ambitious pinkerton songs, you'll find something extremely technically baffling.Ã,  Based on typical Rentals song structure, I think one could only be naive if they thought that Matt was responsible for that.Ã,  True, Matt is a quirky songwriter, prone to some unusual key changes, but that's nothing compared to the sort of transitions that happen 2 or 3 times per song occaisionally on pinkerton.Ã,  Weezer's drop in quality probably rests squarely on river's shoulders.Ã,  There are plenty of factors readily apparent as to why Weezer's quality dropped after Matt left, but I don't think any of them have to do with the lack of his playing.

not to start a fight or anything, but maybe its just those simple notes that he did contribute that made the blue album so great, rather than having gay intros like on "perfect situation"

Like I said, "this isn't to say they are bad".  More is less often times.  I think the blue album is great.  In it's simplicity it's a remarkably honest and unparalelled album.  That doesn't exactly amount to cowriting credits though.  Lack of contribution is a very indirect form of contribution.

I don't really see the point in mentioning "Perfect Situation", considering the bassline in the intro to that is pretty much entirely root notes from how it sounds.
I am the baseball.