4. Fight the Darkness
5. Heartache vs. Heartbreak
6. Incarnation Blumes
7. Lunchbreak (Cobras theme)
8. Motorology 3:29
9. I Wonder
10. Underneath My Tree
11. Straight Flush

We hear the songs Motorology (I think its this one, also its an instrumental of New Song 1 from reunion concert), Heartache vs. Heartbreak, Barriers, No One Needs to Know, and Eponine. This is what Ozma meant by hearing the new songs.

Discuss.

The Other Mike

Motorology sounds very cool. Heartache has some great harmonies.  Barriers is kind of cheesy and I don't think they should have re-recorded Eponine or No One Needs to Know.  Given the sound of the new songs I would have much rather heard more new stuff.
blackjack1084 (11:02:36 PM): eat my ass
blackjack1084 (11:02:38 PM): and get a life

www.myspace.com/therattlesnakes

brad

Where's D Song and Kid Icarus?!?!!?!?!

hipsun

d song = underneath my tree

kid icarus = abandoned for now

motorology = reunion show song

CT-700

Thanks hipsun, you always come through for us.

Zombie Don Ho

March 18, 2007, 11:08:32 am #5 Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 11:25:34 am by Planet of Sound
Quotekid icarus = abandoned for now

???

:'(

perhaps they couldn't get a satisfactory recording going...

That stated, this video is awesome... I drive past that suicide bridge several times a month. The song with Star singing sounds great, as does that brief clip of barriers... The recycling of "No One Needs to Know" is a huge WTF. Eponine I can sort of understand, because it's been such a crowd pleaser. I just find it weird that with the amount of time that went into the record, and considering how Dan at least is a relatively prolific writer, they still felt the need to make so many dips into the back catalog!

Good times, nonetheless. Color me excited for the record... it's got a fresh sound to it.

brad

So it seems I (and prob most, if not all of you) have heard demos/live versions/or bits of 9 of the 11 songs on this album already.  I guess thats what hipsun meant by nothing we haven't heard already is even near ready to be released to us.

CT-700

Basically. Re-recording No One Needs To Know kinda seems like it came out of nowhere. They seemed to be playing it only semi-often at shows. Maybe its just something they decided while in the studio.

gloom-glaam

The Argyle Rebellion

March 18, 2007, 12:27:34 pm #9 Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 12:29:31 pm by The Argyle Rebellion
I don't like the two recycled songs... they should have only brought over Eponine onto this record.

Aside from that minor complaint, I really like the sound that I'm hearing from this record.  It's grown up, but still has all the elements of Ozma that I hoped it would.

I've liked Heartache since it was on the Kate Moss Medley as an acoustic song.  Great harmonies and great chords.  I can't wait to hear what they've done with D Song though.

I Like Ozma

yeah, i think i completely agree with everything you have just said. i wish they would not have carried over those two songs, just because that means we only get 9 new ones. but i guess nine is better than none. and i also cannot wait for d-song.
Quote from: Elliott on December 09, 2006, 03:02:12 pm
Good point, too bad theyre gonna criticize you now.

Kyosho

I too am a bit disappointed with the two throwback songs. Eponine I can somewhat understand because it is awesome live. No One Needs to Know is a puzzler though. I listened to the original just now, and I suppose it could be done a bit differently.

Quote from: Planet of Sound on March 18, 2007, 11:08:32 amThe song with Star singing sounds great.

Actually, that's probably Rachel Haden. We knew she was doing something on the album. Maybe that's it? Even back on STotB, I was confused why they got Rachel to do the album version of Wake Up when they could've used Star. Looks like they're doing it again, yes?
I'll be rising high above the earth so soon, and the tears I cry might turn into the rain that gently falls upon your window. You'll never know.

Not Jason

Whatever that is playing at the beginning is totally bitchin'.

I'm totally blanking on what kind of car that is.
You and I were the extremities
I am the baseball.

jvstin

definitely looks and sounds promising. although i hope there's more to motorology (sounds more like a cool instrumental). the chorus was pretty awesome from the reunion show boot.

as for eponine and no one needs to know... it'd be interesting to hear an updated version of those songs. i'm guessing no one needs to know wont have that "russian-cold fusion" vibe to it this time around.
"in the immortal words of Thomas G. Warrior: ughhhhh!!"

I Like Ozma

if you look at the front cover it has a "flock of digital seagulls" that is someones headline on myspace, maybe it was the ozma one, i forget.

CT-700

It was Ryen's and then Ozma's. I think it generally was used to name the Ryen/Kenn project that contained the songs "Ye Deserve To Know", "To The Leader of the Band", and "Beyond the Fire". I guess it is being carried over to the Pasadena theme.

hipsun

the part of motorology in the video is a little programmed intro i made. right where it cuts out the full band comes in with lots of lyrics for the next 3.39. best song on the record in my opinion.

Cremo

motorology sounds fucking superb.

can't wait to hear this.

i'm hoping i can order it from ozma as there is not a chance of a record store in ireland getting it in and i don't do digital downloads

brad

Zombie Don Ho

Quote from: Kyosho on March 18, 2007, 03:11:06 pm
I too am a bit disappointed with the two throwback songs. Eponine I can somewhat understand because it is awesome live. No One Needs to Know is a puzzler though. I listened to the original just now, and I suppose it could be done a bit differently.

Quote from: Planet of Sound on March 18, 2007, 11:08:32 amThe song with Star singing sounds great.

Actually, that's probably Rachel Haden. We knew she was doing something on the album. Maybe that's it? Even back on STotB, I was confused why they got Rachel to do the album version of Wake Up when they could've used Star. Looks like they're doing it again, yes?

Hmm, i guess that would make sense. Seems like I remember reading a Dan comment about a song Star would be doing a lot of vocals on.

or something.

I Like Ozma

March 18, 2007, 10:14:32 pm #20 Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 10:25:34 pm by Thomas J.
imo just the song titles themselves sound like this is going to be a completely different album then we were expecting.

hipsun, would you or one of the members of ozma mind telling us what some of the possible album titles were going to be?

FireAarro

March 19, 2007, 12:13:50 am #21 Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 12:37:27 am by FireAarro
I fucking love what we've heard of Motorology. Yes drum machines! Yes insane tones!

I am also puzzled about rerecording no-one needs to know, especially as a first track on album. Unless they've changed it a lot and made it awesome. But hopefully their re-recordings will seem justified to us once we hear them :D

EDIT: OH MY GOSH I ALMOST FORGOT NO KID ICARUS EQUALS SAD ME. i loved that song.

EDIT2: my guess is hipsun is not ezra.

EDIT3: http://www.hipsun.com/hipsun/hipsun.html

EDIT4: No Into Light?
Unterreiner is tall and surprisingly thin, given that the floor of his closet is stacked high with junk food. Boxes and bags of Doritos, Twinkies and Ho-Hos spill out onto the floor. He has towels around his window to keep out the cold air at night. "I hate this old house," he said bitterly, then changed the name of an unfinished track to "Cold Day."

Fantastic Max

Quote from: FireAarro on March 19, 2007, 12:13:50 am
EDIT4: No Into Light?

My guess is, that's another changed title?

Also..what's wrong with No One Needs to Know? I love that song.
"Cross my heart, hope to die, stick a pizza in my mouth."
-Donkey Lips

I Like Ozma

hipsun already addressed the changes and didnt mention into light. whats wrong with it is we have already heard it.

im surprised that they havent deleted the hipsun link, i did it one time and got in trouble.

Cremo

never noticed there was no "into light"

such a pity as it was my favourite of the new stuff that i've heard.

Alex

Man..  When I saw them back in October I told Dan that I really like the new stuff, especially Kid Icarus..  And now it's gone..  What have I done???   :'(

Other than that small gripe, wow, I'm so excited!!
We can blast way inside

jvstin

i think Star's voice is definitely apparent in heartache vs heartbreak.

rachel haden contributes too... you could hear her in the second line of the chorus "and my shiny armor's rusting now." especially in "rusting."
"in the immortal words of Thomas G. Warrior: ughhhhh!!"

tom

I'm so fuckin amazed at how good the drums sound.

CT-700

Quote from: cupid stunt on March 19, 2007, 03:16:39 pm
i think Star's voice is definitely apparent in heartache vs heartbreak.

rachel haden contributes too... you could hear her in the second line of the chorus "and my shiny armor's rusting now." especially in "rusting."

Exactly.

icecreamman

Everything sounds sweet.  I really like Barriers, too.