April 24, 2024, 02:47:22 pm

News:

When's the last time you said "I love you" to a friend!?

Jose Galvez music

Started by gloom-glaam, May 21, 2008, 10:13:50 am

Previous topic - Next topic

gloom-glaam

http://www.myspace.com/josegalvezmusic

Three songs up for your enjoyment.

Album out this summer?

discuss?

Ianny

He's got a very mellow voice.  It's funny how you hear a voice enough times in the background of a track, yet when you hear just them you get a totally different idea of what they sound like.  It's almost Fountains of Wayne-esque at parts.  Loving the melody on Love is Never Enough, will pick up the album when it's out for sure!
~Ozma is now back.  Do a dance!  :D

To hear more from this strange man, go to the journal.
I also have two podcasts, one updated weekly, and one updated whenever I find the time.  The weekly one is Comic Timing and is found here.The other is "The Geekspeak Report" which is found here.

Oatmeal

May 21, 2008, 11:53:05 am #2 Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 11:58:28 am by oatmeal
Wow that's cool.

Interesting "About Jose Galvez" on his page:
QuoteAbout jose galvez
--Born June 25, 1979 in Quezon City, Philippines
--Raised in Singapore until 1988
--Relocated to Pasadena, California.
--Started playing guitar at 15 when he heard "smells like teen spirit"
--Helped form Ozma in 1995 where he played guitar and arranged songs.
--After extensive touring/recording with ozma from 1999-2007, he decided to release a collection of his own songs accumulated throughout the years.
--A solo record was recorded at loveless motel studios in Sierra Madre end of 07'-beginning 08', where he worked with with producer/engineer extraordinaire Billy Burke, who used to be his old guitar teacher.
--Jose recorded the majority of the music himself though he sought help in his musician friends to fill in what was needed.
--The self-titled debut album is currently in the mastering stage of the recording. The album will be released in June, and hopefully available on iTunes as soon as July.

Quote from: antiuser on December 09, 2007, 11:35:30 am
There aren't many bands out there that treat their fans like Ozma does.
http://oatmealmp3blog.blogspot.com/

Oatmeal

May 21, 2008, 11:57:43 am #3 Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 12:00:56 pm by oatmeal
Nice.

It also say's that Jeff Burke drums on track 4 and a part of track 8.

Jeff is the drummer in Teaneck and TGB

It also says's that his buddy from their H's Between Vowels project, is doing back up vocals on most of the tracks.

Martha Gail

Quote from: oatmeal on May 21, 2008, 11:57:43 am
Nice.

It also says's that his buddy from their H's Between Vowels project, is doing back up vocals on most of the tracks.

Yeah, J.Lynn Johnston.  He's got a wonderful voice and he's really tall.
That's Cobra on Cobra action.

Kyosho

I really like these songs. I look forward to the album.
I'll be rising high above the earth so soon, and the tears I cry might turn into the rain that gently falls upon your window. You'll never know.

CT-700

Just awesome stuff. I always thought Jose brought a lot to the mellow Ozma songs. Definately will purchase the album.

jvstin

wow. it's really good. totally wasn't expecting the mellowness.
"in the immortal words of Thomas G. Warrior: ughhhhh!!"

Oatmeal

May 21, 2008, 09:33:00 pm #8 Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 09:34:46 pm by oatmeal
Wow, I can better understand why ozma wanted to do a couple shows out of the blue, because it seems that they will not be playing for a while after this.

Both Jose and Daniel are working on solo albums. Ryen is in Two Ghost Bros and Ken is in Baby Champ.

They should all join each other two make a massive concert. That would be funny.

I already heard from thru the grape vine @ the last ozma concert that I went to, that TGB and Baby Champ are planning on playing together. I don't know if it is a a solid plan yet, however.

Oatmeal

I remember when they played as Iregarless their myspace stated how Jose was saying on Ozma's page how good the Wrens are and to stay to them play.

This seem's to show off his love for mellow stuff like the Wrens.

Quote from: Martha Gail on May 21, 2008, 01:21:41 pm
Yeah, J.Lynn Johnston.  He's got a wonderful voice and he's really tall.

So... this is one of those kinda off-topic posts that's like "what's the point?"  but, I thought it was really weird, but my dad also goes by "J. Lynn" --his first initial and middle name... so, kinda cool.

Kyosho

Every time I see the name, I think of Jeff Lynne. Even though the spelling is different.

Jeff Lynne owns you. Jeff Lynne owns ALL OF YOU!
I'll be rising high above the earth so soon, and the tears I cry might turn into the rain that gently falls upon your window. You'll never know.

pygmy twylyte

i like love is never enough so far.

i guess jose is the quiet one is ozma, but i really wish he had written more songs.  ive always loved immigration song.  it stands out on its own to me.  its a shame ozma didnt do more stuff like that.

i hope ozma tours soon.  being one of my favorite bands, theres an emotional factor since ive liked them for so long.  god...stuff has changed SO much since i first listened to them.  very hard to believe.  unfortunately, when i saw them last summer(first time since 02 when they opened for weezer) i had a feeling it would be the last time i saw them.  i hope i end up being wrong, but it wouldnt surprise me if they didnt play much more.

im not sure which is crazier.  the fact that jose is turning 29 soon or that he joined ozma when he had only been playing guitar for a year.

christinescollywog

Quote from: pygmy twylyte on May 22, 2008, 02:25:07 pm
i like love is never enough so far.

i guess jose is the quiet one is ozma, but i really wish he had written more songs.  ive always loved immigration song.  it stands out on its own to me.  its a shame ozma didnt do more stuff like that.

i hope ozma tours soon.  being one of my favorite bands, theres an emotional factor since ive liked them for so long.  god...stuff has changed SO much since i first listened to them.  very hard to believe.  unfortunately, when i saw them last summer(first time since 02 when they opened for weezer) i had a feeling it would be the last time i saw them.  i hope i end up being wrong, but it wouldnt surprise me if they didnt play much more.

im not sure which is crazier.  the fact that jose is turning 29 soon or that he joined ozma when he had only been playing guitar for a year.

you know, everytime the band members gets older, i feel like they might break up soon or something; 30's scare me (especially because i'm still really young).

i hope they'll be together forever D:

- you know, like.... aerosmith (?)
Don't be fooled. Beneath my bitter, snarky exterior lies my bitter, snarky interior.

http://brainjoy.blogspot.com/

CT-700

Quote from: starlet on May 22, 2008, 10:55:38 pm

I don't want to be offensive, but I'd much rather them call it quits or move on at a younger age* with good music under their belts, unlike Aerosmith who never die, but seem to suck worse and worse as time increases. I can see it now, around age 55, Dan deciding to screech rather than use his beautiful voice, Ryen playing lame 90min guitar solos (not like the awesome lead work he does now), Kenn losing an arm in an accident, Jose getting in fights with the rest of the group because he wants to do something creative again, the lyrics fall to shit about dudes looking like ladies, a "return to their roots" blues album is released, etc., etc.

Or they could be like the indie greats that came out over 20 years ago, but still exist and play good music. Like Yo La Tengo, for example. That would be awesome.

PS: I'm sorry my parodied hypotheticals offended anyone, I just really think most of the "larger than life" classic rock icons from the '70-'80s are lame.

---

*Disclaimer: I DO NOT by any means want them to break up right now though! Much love.

Oatmeal

It seems as if I can't stop listening to these songs. :)

christinescollywog

Quote from: CT-700 on May 23, 2008, 12:42:13 pm

I don't want to be offensive, but I'd much rather them call it quits or move on at a younger age* with good music under their belts, unlike Aerosmith who never die, but seem to suck worse and worse as time increases. I can see it now, around age 55, Dan deciding to screech rather than use his beautiful voice, Ryen playing lame 90min guitar solos (not like the awesome lead work he does now), Kenn losing an arm in an accident, Jose getting in fights with the rest of the group because he wants to do something creative again, the lyrics fall to shit about dudes looking like ladies, a "return to their roots" blues album is released, etc., etc.

Or they could be like the indie greats that came out over 20 years ago, but still exist and play good music. Like Yo La Tengo, for example. That would be awesome.

PS: I'm sorry my parodied hypotheticals offended anyone, I just really think most of the "larger than life" classic rock icons from the '70-'80s are lame.

---

*Disclaimer: I DO NOT by any means want them to break up right now though! Much love.

that's understandable  :)
Don't be fooled. Beneath my bitter, snarky exterior lies my bitter, snarky interior.

http://brainjoy.blogspot.com/

CT-700

Quote from: oatmeal on May 23, 2008, 04:48:30 pm
It seems as if I can't stop listening to these songs. :)

Exactly.

pygmy twylyte

you know, everytime the band members gets older, i feel like they might break up soon or something; 30's scare me (especially because i'm still really young).

30s scare me too.  i cant picture a guy that old wanting to get on stage on play los angeles, much less wanting to write something in that vein.  if they do try to recapture that youthfulness, it can border on jumping the shark.

Kyosho

Quote from: pygmy twylyte on May 25, 2008, 09:23:08 am

30s scare me too.  i cant picture a guy that old wanting to get on stage on play los angeles, much less wanting to write something in that vein.  if they do try to recapture that youthfulness, it can border on jumping the shark.

What, you mean like Weezer?

OH SNAP

Martha Gail

Speaking of which, say happy birthday to Jose.  the big 2-9.

CT-700

Happy birthday, man. I hope the album is coming together nicely. So pumped.

Oatmeal

I don't know why I did not notice this in the post before but it say's that Ryen Slegr play's the bass and shouts on track 10 and that on track 5 Daniel Brummel wrote the rock riff and Ryen Slegr wrote the verse melody.

That's sounds like it will be pretty great. It will be interesting to hear Ryen and Daniel to be the contributorââ,¬â,,¢s to a song that Jose wrote instead of the usual, which is always great as well.

This definitely increases my excitement for the new album.

To bad it's been delayed for late june.

CT-700

Mastered Songs:

http://www.myspace.com/josegalvezmusic

PS: Only 200 copies, so we'll have to get them fast!

Oatmeal

Are they availible yet?

PS: two more songs are availible to listen to. So far they sound even better in my opnion.

I Like Ozma

Quote from: Elliott on December 09, 2006, 03:02:12 pm
Good point, too bad theyre gonna criticize you now.

Not Jason

Sadly, that useless bump was the thing that made me actually read this thread and check out Jose's music.  I'm impressed.  I mean no jab to Ozma, but I find it surprising that they've produced a musician that excels to such a degree at subtlety.  Ozma has never really been known for that.  To those surprised at the mellowness, have you ever heard "Immigration Song"?  I think this is pretty much exactly in the same vein as that, which I think is THE most underrated Ozma song, easily.
You and I were the extremities
I am the baseball.

Martha Gail

Quote from: oatmeal on July 22, 2008, 01:26:51 pm
Are they availible yet?

PS: two more songs are availible to listen to. So far they sound even better in my opnion.

Expect a bulletin soon on where you can purchase the album. 

Джесси

I'm definitely looking forward to its release, I just wish more than 200 physical copies were being made  :(
ТолÃ'Å'ко гÃ'â,¬Ã'Ð´Ã'Æ'Ã'‰ÐµÐµ - облаÃ'Ã'‚Ã'Å' поÃ'Ã'‚а.

I Like Ozma

Quote from: Not Jason on August 26, 2008, 05:48:16 am
Sadly, that useless bump was the thing that made me actually read this thread and check out Jose's music.  I'm impressed.  I mean no jab to Ozma, but I find it surprising that they've produced a musician that excels to such a degree at subtlety.  Ozma has never really been known for that.  To those surprised at the mellowness, have you ever heard "Immigration Song"?  I think this is pretty much exactly in the same vein as that, which I think is THE most underrated Ozma song, easily.

its surprising that jose, ryen, and daniel excel to such a degree of subtlety?
Quote from: Elliott on December 09, 2006, 03:02:12 pm
Good point, too bad theyre gonna criticize you now.