May 02, 2024, 09:33:14 am

News:

Sometimes it burns when I pee....

New Gone With the Ghosts song is up!

Started by Ianny, May 13, 2005, 07:57:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Ianny

A new song is up on Gone With the Ghosts myspace entitled "Hell or High Water."  I absolutely adore this song, and hope you guys do too.  The instruments go so good with Dan's voice...perfect stuff here.  Check it out at http://www.myspace.com/gonewiththeghosts and see if you like it as much as I do.  :)
~Ozma is now back.  Do a dance!  :D

To hear more from this strange man, go to the journal.
I also have two podcasts, one updated weekly, and one updated whenever I find the time.  The weekly one is Comic Timing and is found here.The other is "The Geekspeak Report" which is found here.

OMGWTFBBQ

i like it, but it was pretty inobtrusive upon first listen. good though.

Not Jason

Quote from: OMGWTFBBQ on May 13, 2005, 08:14:22 pm
i like it, but it was pretty inobtrusive upon first listen. good though.

that's exactly what i like so much about this band.  it's so much more relaxed than his previous projects.  nothing immediately jumps out and grabs me, but it's got way more relisten value.
You and I were the extremities
I am the baseball.

Lando_Calrissian

Can't say I thought much of it after just the one listen.

As much as I love Daniel Brummel, I'm sorry to say that Gone With The Ghosts don't really do it for me. I like Television, but the other songs don't grab me.

Pro-active.

Not Jason

i'm utterly puzzled as to why ozma fans aren't excited about this band.  i realize it's a departure from ozma, but i've gotten a good run out of ozma, I like the change, and I think this is a much more grown up sound.  the lyrics, to me, are way better than almost any ozma lyrics i can think of.  musically, it lacks the catchiness of ozma, but I've long felt that catchiness is not always the completely positive thing everyone seems to insist it is.  with me for example, if you give me a cd, there will be songs i immediately like and songs that immediately do nothing for me, but if you ask me in a month which i like more, it's almost usually the ones that didn't jump out at me immediately, and typically i'm long sick of the catchy ones that initially grabbed me.  anyway.  I think gone with the ghosts is excellent, and that's worth saying again i think.
I am the baseball.

crushedhat

This stuff sounds quite accessible and catchy to me. Based on their influences, and what people have been saying about them, I was expecting (and excited for) something much more abstract and experimental. I mean, this is pretty bouncy stuff. I don't know if I like Gone with the Ghosts yet, but odds are I'll end up liking it in the longrun. I wish I could download the tracks and give them a proper listen!

Also, Brummel's voice sounds weird to me in this. I realize now that a lot of the vocal parts on STOTBL that I assumed were Ryen were actually Dan. It's that half-yelling, emotive kind of voice. Sounds way different from the old solo material, or even Monstro.

k24

Quote from: Not Jason on May 14, 2005, 03:12:46 pm
i'm utterly puzzled as to why ozma fans aren't excited about this band.  i realize it's a departure from ozma, but i've gotten a good run out of ozma, I like the change, and I think this is a much more grown up sound. 

i think some ozma fans grow up, too.....

Not Jason

Quote from: k24 on May 18, 2005, 05:24:41 am
Quote from: Not Jason on May 14, 2005, 03:12:46 pm
i'm utterly puzzled as to why ozma fans aren't excited about this band.Ã,  i realize it's a departure from ozma, but i've gotten a good run out of ozma, I like the change, and I think this is a much more grown up sound.Ã, 

i think some ozma fans grow up, too.....

if this intended as argument or agreement?

I am the baseball.

The Other Mike

I was wondering that too.  It's stated like an argument, but it doesn't contest what you're saying at all.
blackjack1084 (11:02:36 PM): eat my ass
blackjack1084 (11:02:38 PM): and get a life

www.myspace.com/therattlesnakes

Not Jason

well, regardless, i'll state my case.

i still like ozma, but i can't listen to a whole lot of it anymore.  musically, almost all of it still holds up as grade A pop music, but lyrically i can't connect with the majority of it anymore.  There are of course exceptions, I don't think I'll ever tire of "Battlescars", but something like "You Know the Story" or "Business of Getting Down" I have a hard time stomaching lyrically these days.  Perhaps it was a stretch to say that Ozma fans should readily gravitate towards Gone with the Ghosts, but my thinking was that perhaps a lot of other Ozma fans had experience along the lines of mine.  I like it for the ways in which it is different than Ozma.  Meanwhile, Yes Dear is holding truer to the Ozma tradition and improving it on that front as well, but I think I prefer the radical departure.
I am the baseball.

funwithsponges

I can't speak for everyone, but I know that I personally don't really listen to lyrics so the whole "I can't connect" to Ozma's lyrics probably will never happen for me(though admittedly, I don't really listen to Ozma that much anymore).

As such, I don't really care for Gone with the Ghosts all that much.  Maybe the lyrics are brilliant, but I find the music just kinda boring.  I didn't think it was bad, but it just didn't do anything for me.  And I listened to all four songs.  Maybe if I listened to them 100 times, my opinion would change, but as for now it's just kinda meh.

Not Jason

well, my opinion extends into music too.  the melodies in ozma and yes dear are very in your face.  these are more relaxed and subtle, and that is the sort of stuff i generally tend to like more in the long run.
I am the baseball.

phatpubah

Quote from: Not Jason on May 18, 2005, 10:45:59 am
well, regardless, i'll state my case.

i still like ozma, but i can't listen to a whole lot of it anymore.  musically, almost all of it still holds up as grade A pop music, but lyrically i can't connect with the majority of it anymore.  There are of course exceptions, I don't think I'll ever tire of "Battlescars", but something like "You Know the Story" or "Business of Getting Down" I have a hard time stomaching lyrically these days.  Perhaps it was a stretch to say that Ozma fans should readily gravitate towards Gone with the Ghosts, but my thinking was that perhaps a lot of other Ozma fans had experience along the lines of mine.  I like it for the ways in which it is different than Ozma.  Meanwhile, Yes Dear is holding truer to the Ozma tradition and improving it on that front as well, but I think I prefer the radical departure.
i completely agree
CPL593H

sammo

I was giving gone with the ghosts another listen, and now I love ALL the songs.  Does anyone have the songs ripped to mp3 somehow?  I'm sick of opening up myspace everytime I want to listen to it.

Fantastic Max

Quote from: funwithsponges on May 18, 2005, 11:03:39 am
I can't speak for everyone, but I know that I personally don't really listen to lyrics so the whole "I can't connect" to Ozma's lyrics probably will never happen for me(though admittedly, I don't really listen to Ozma that much anymore).

As such, I don't really care for Gone with the Ghosts all that much.Ã,  Maybe the lyrics are brilliant, but I find the music just kinda boring.Ã,  I didn't think it was bad, but it just didn't do anything for me.Ã,  And I listened to all four songs.Ã,  Maybe if I listened to them 100 times, my opinion would change, but as for now it's just kinda meh.
I'd agree with that mostly, but I still do love Ozma more than anything, and go through Ozma kicks every once in awhile.
Gone with the Ghosts, is just meh..I dunno, Television is great though. But Daniel seems so not using his full potential as a singer, it's too laid-back for me, I guess. I mean slower types of songs are great, but not all the time, I'd prefer more peppy stuff more of the time.
"Cross my heart, hope to die, stick a pizza in my mouth."
-Donkey Lips