May 02, 2024, 08:29:30 am

News:

When's the last time you said "I love you" to a friend!?

Brief Ozma Mention on Pitchfork

Started by The Other Mike, October 22, 2005, 06:35:03 am

Previous topic - Next topic

The Other Mike

no, it's not a reunion....

QuoteRilo Kiley's Jenny Lewis Reveals More Solo Disc Details

Timothy Najmolhoda reports:
Life is good for Rilo Kiley right now. As if having their last album fawned over by the likes of Spin, Rolling Stone, and well...us wasn't enough, the band just wrapped up a month-long tour of arenas and pavilions opening for The Biggest Band In The World (tm), Coldplay.

I know, I know, we don't exactly like that band, but consider that just a few years ago, Rilo Kiley were opening for Ozma and playing to clubs half-full of kids flashing the flying =w= as a show of affection. Coldplay don't sound so bad now, do they?

But life is extra good for Rilo Kiley's lead singer, Jenny Lewis. On top of her band's now-mainstream success, she's got an upcoming solo LP to look forward to. As previously reported, the album, entitled Rabbit Fur Coat is due out this coming January. It will be released on Team Love Records, the label run by Lewis's ex-labelmate Conor Oberst. Rabbit Fur Coat will sport a nerd-friendly array of guest stars, including Ben Gibbard, Conor Oberst, and the guitarist from Maroon 5. Ummm, is it just us or is one of these things not like the other? Regardless, here's the tracklist:

01 Run Devil Run
02 Big Guns
03 Rise Up With Fists!
04 Happy
05 The Changing Sky
06 Melt Your Heart
07 You Are What You Love
08 Rabbit Fur Coat
09 Handle With Care
10 Born Spectacular
11 It Wasn't Me
12 Happy (reprise)
blackjack1084 (11:02:36 PM): eat my ass
blackjack1084 (11:02:38 PM): and get a life

www.myspace.com/therattlesnakes

thekoalastampede

why is pitchfork so bad? why is music rating in general so bad?

All Music Guide is flawed but it is also BY FAR the only reliable music rating source on the net and probably in the world.

heysarahsarah

Plus, they have their facts wrong.

I'm almost certian that was at the least a co-headling tour, if not Ozma opening for RK.
Bob511i: But SARAH is my <3

No day but today.

Not Jason

Quote from: heysarahsarah on October 22, 2005, 11:33:20 am
I'm almost certian that was at the least a co-headling tour, if not Ozma opening for RK.

nope, entirely wrong.

I was there.  Rilo Kiley definitely opening for Ozma.  Ozma was a bigger name than Rilo Kiley at the time.
You and I were the extremities
I am the baseball.

Not Jason

Well I'd say this backhanded comment is relatively fair, I do tend to dislike pitchfork.  Their writing is typically spectacular, and often it masks the fact that they have no clue what they are talking about sometimes.  The worst thing, in my opinion, is when they make comments directly about the skill of musicianship in a band, because in almost every case where I've seen them do that they entirely fail to be accurate.  Metric, technically simple?  They've obviously never tried to play a Metric song.

But as far as they go, I don't dislike them nearly as much as some of their readers.  I've got friends that will seriously flip flop their stances on bands to the tune of what pitchfork's saying, and it's hard not to sometimes, with the quality of their writing.  It takes a lot of willpower sometimes to say "this persuasive essay doesn't sway me".
I am the baseball.

NotJasonNotOatmeal

Not Jason

I am the baseball.

Ianny

October 24, 2005, 06:10:45 pm #7 Last Edit: October 24, 2005, 09:28:42 pm by Ianny
Rilo Kiley certainly opened for Ozma, as the first time I ever saw Rilo Kiley was at the NY Knitting Factory, with Rilo Kiley opening for Ozma and Ben Kweller.

That day I bought "Takeoffs and Landings" and became a fan of Rilo Kiley.  I also met Pat that day, which was very cool.
~Ozma is now back.  Do a dance!  :D

To hear more from this strange man, go to the journal.
I also have two podcasts, one updated weekly, and one updated whenever I find the time.  The weekly one is Comic Timing and is found here.The other is "The Geekspeak Report" which is found here.

heysarahsarah

I was actually kidding, but yeah. 

My point was just that Pitchfork is pretty ridiculous.

No day but today.

Not Jason

Quote from: heysarahsarah on October 24, 2005, 06:59:18 pm
I was actually kidding, but yeah.Ã, 

just admit it, you had a fact wrong.
I am the baseball.

thekoalastampede

Zombie Don Ho

i remember seeing Rilo open for Ozma in Pomona a long time ago... I wasn't terribly impressed, and i thought Blake was a total goober. He had a mullet at the time.

yoshigaki

I liked their review of Make Believe.

thekoalastampede

Quote from: yoshigaki on October 25, 2005, 08:46:17 pm

i dont think Make Believe is great, but it sure as hell is much better than they rated it. (I hate to sound like an AMG whore but they definitely wrote the best review)

heysarahsarah

Quote from: Not Jason on October 24, 2005, 07:29:24 pm
I was actually kidding, but yeah. 

I so fail at humor.

Jason, how long have I been posting here?  I think I still have saved somewhere the old list that was on the old website of all the shows they had played up to that point.

No day but today.

Not Jason

Quote from: heysarahsarah on October 29, 2005, 11:36:08 am
Quote from: Not Jason on October 24, 2005, 07:29:24 pm
I was actually kidding, but yeah.Ã, 

I so fail at humor.

If it's a joke I just don't get how it's a joke.  Jokes are suposed to funny, you just said something that was inaccurate.  I could say Rock and Roll Part Three was released in 1998 if I wanted, but I'm not sure that counts as a joke.  I think I'd just be wrong.  And that would be completely alright.

Off the top of my head I can't remember what year DDD was originally released in.
I don't know if the west coast tour they did with Piebald was coheadlining or Pibald headlining.
I have no idea what Jose has in his effects chain
I was the last person in the world to see that damned eponine video.

and that's alright.
I am the baseball.

brad

Quote from: thekoalastampede on October 25, 2005, 09:50:33 pm
Quote from: yoshigaki on October 25, 2005, 08:46:17 pm

i dont think Make Believe is great, but it sure as hell is much better than they rated it. (I hate to sound like an AMG whore but they definitely wrote the best review)

yeah i think it's a little bit better than a 0.4 / 10

heysarahsarah

It was the big space between facts wrong and what I said.  It was meant to be ironic because MY fact was wrong....

Look, I seriously have the worst sense of humor, so I'll stop defending my really bad joke.

No day but today.

Signumark

If you ever try to be funny again, you will pay.

Jason, come on, how often does Sarah post

like this?
Ess-to-the-Eye-to-the-Jee-Enn-Ewey-to-the-Emm-to-the-Ay-to-the-Arr-Kay...Phooey

heysarahsarah

Quote from: Signumark on October 30, 2005, 04:19:27 am
If you ever try to be funny again, you will pay.

Jason, come on, how often does Sarah post

like this?

I love you.

No day but today.