May 15, 2024, 10:36:43 am

News:

If you can read this, Samuel is still a ph@gg0t

New Ozma Songs on Myspace

Started by Fantastic Max, September 07, 2006, 09:06:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

I like ozma

September 22, 2006, 11:34:04 am #120 Last Edit: September 22, 2006, 11:45:29 am by I like ozma.
Quote from: ^_^ on September 22, 2006, 02:59:57 am
Quote from: I like ozma. on September 21, 2006, 09:47:20 pm
Quote from: Not Jason on September 21, 2006, 01:05:17 pm
Honestly, if Rock and Roll Part Three came out tomorrow and I'd never heard any of the songs before, I doubt I'd buy it.Ã,  Maybe I would, but I have a hard time seeing it have the same sort of impact on me now as it did back then.Ã,  I'm not just talking lyrically either.Ã,  I think musicially they've moved far enough forward now that doing the four on the floor pop stuff cannot possibly be satisfying for them, nor would I be too excited to hear it.

Having said that, when I listen to these songs, I don't hear the complete departure some of you people do.Ã,  I wonder if that is in part because a lot of people have been sitting on an old catelog of music so long that they've forgotten things like how drastic a change spending time felt like from their previous efforts.Ã,  Possibly some of the people in this argument got into Ozma with that record, and if so, it offsets your perception of the band a little bit.Ã,  To me, these sound no less Ozma than tracks like "Utsiasga;ldgh Shibuya", "Your Name" and "Wake Up" did on the first few listens.Ã,  If your willing to accept those things as legit Ozma, than why not the new stuff, which seems to have it's feet planted firmly in the traditions of Ozma's sound.Ã,  It's still very much rock based, it's still very much keyboard driven ("Darkness Into Light" even has some of that signiture doubled guitar/keys action that so defines Ozma's early work).Ã,  I think the only reason that people don't want to label this "Ozma" is because it was made 3 years too late for them to have lumped it with the rest of the catelog.

Perhaps there are valid reasons for not liking these songs, but how many of those same reasons might also be applicable to the classic Ozma catelog?Ã,  I think a lot of people have been glorifying the old body of work in excess here, and contrasting the new stuff against standards based on an over-romanticized memory of the past material.

edit:Ã,  Post 3000

first off i would like to say: its "catalog"

second: you are on to something here i think, i agree with most of your points that it still has some of ozmas sound. i think these songs just kinda hit a lot of people by surprise because they were expecting a song like "rocks" and i know they are a different band now then they were, but people have a tendency to stick with what made them first fall in love with something, rather than accept the changes.

third: congratulations on your 3000th post

and fourth: if -150 karma is respected, then im the second most respected person on this board
the other mike has the balls to rather strongly voice his opinion without crying about the fact that some or many people disagree with him. pretty respect-worthy, i'd say.

and really, who fucking cares? complaining about/bringing up 'karma' just shows that you're a pussy who actually does care about what other people think about you

you know what you can shut your face. and you are right the other mike does voice HIS OWN opinions, unlike someone *cough*you *cough* "wow i like ozma you are so stupid, am i right mike? what do you think jason? can i be cool now?"

here is an example: "anywayz, i wish ozma would just write good ozma songs instead of writing good songsÃ, 

their not ozma lol"- ^__^

Ã,  "if you can admit that they're good songs, why not give ozma the credit they're due for writing good new (OZMA) songs? they're the ones who wrote them in the first place."- ^__^

wow, we really know where you stand mr. kerry

The Other Mike

blackjack1084 (11:02:36 PM): eat my ass
blackjack1084 (11:02:38 PM): and get a life

www.myspace.com/therattlesnakes

jvstin

September 22, 2006, 12:48:50 pm #122 Last Edit: September 22, 2006, 01:01:11 pm by ^_^
Quote from: I like ozma. on September 22, 2006, 11:34:04 am
Honestly, if Rock and Roll Part Three came out tomorrow and I'd never heard any of the songs before, I doubt I'd buy it.Ã,  Maybe I would, but I have a hard time seeing it have the same sort of impact on me now as it did back then.Ã,  I'm not just talking lyrically either.Ã,  I think musicially they've moved far enough forward now that doing the four on the floor pop stuff cannot possibly be satisfying for them, nor would I be too excited to hear it.

Having said that, when I listen to these songs, I don't hear the complete departure some of you people do.Ã,  I wonder if that is in part because a lot of people have been sitting on an old catelog of music so long that they've forgotten things like how drastic a change spending time felt like from their previous efforts.Ã,  Possibly some of the people in this argument got into Ozma with that record, and if so, it offsets your perception of the band a little bit.Ã,  To me, these sound no less Ozma than tracks like "Utsiasga;ldgh Shibuya", "Your Name" and "Wake Up" did on the first few listens.Ã,  If your willing to accept those things as legit Ozma, than why not the new stuff, which seems to have it's feet planted firmly in the traditions of Ozma's sound.Ã,  It's still very much rock based, it's still very much keyboard driven ("Darkness Into Light" even has some of that signiture doubled guitar/keys action that so defines Ozma's early work).Ã,  I think the only reason that people don't want to label this "Ozma" is because it was made 3 years too late for them to have lumped it with the rest of the catelog.

Perhaps there are valid reasons for not liking these songs, but how many of those same reasons might also be applicable to the classic Ozma catelog?Ã,  I think a lot of people have been glorifying the old body of work in excess here, and contrasting the new stuff against standards based on an over-romanticized memory of the past material.

second: you are on to something here i think, i agree with most of your points that it still has some of ozmas sound. i think these songs just kinda hit a lot of people by surprise because they were expecting a song like "rocks" and i know they are a different band now then they were, but people have a tendency to stick with what made them first fall in love with something, rather than accept the changes.

and fourth: if -150 karma is respected, then im the second most respected person on this board
the other mike has the balls to rather strongly voice his opinion without crying about the fact that some or many people disagree with him. pretty respect-worthy, i'd say.

and really, who fucking cares? complaining about/bringing up 'karma' just shows that you're a pussy who actually does care about what other people think about you

you know what you can shut your face. and you are right the other mike does voice HIS OWN opinions, unlike someone *cough*you *cough* "wow i like ozma you are so stupid, am i right mike? what do you think jason? can i be cool now?"

here is an example: "anywayz, i wish ozma would just write good ozma songs instead of writing good songsÃ, 

Ã,  "if you can admit that they're good songs, why not give ozma the credit they're due for writing good new (OZMA) songs? they're the ones who wrote them in the first place."- ^__^

man, i feel like i'm arguing with a retard

...waitaminute!

your sarcasm detector needs some fixing.

but, you know, you telling me to shut my face has really hurt my feelings and has shown me the error of my ways. i really do want to suck jason's dick. i mean, who doesn't... right? there's no possible way that my opinions could be my own if people agree with them

if i am correct, you're the one saying that you like the songs. then you pull a 180 and say that ryen and dan are being lame by trying to sound 'mature'Ã,  Ã, 
...and "acoustic fusion"?Ã,  you're fucking retarded.

seriously, if i ever see that face on your avatar, i will fucking cut your lips off. dipshit.
"in the immortal words of Thomas G. Warrior: ughhhhh!!"

falyn

the beginning of 'into the light' sounds reminiscent of a crappy emo song, imho.
stream my radio show on mondays 7-8 pm @ http://www.wvum.org

jvstin

Quote from: natural selection on September 22, 2006, 02:05:55 pm
the beginning of 'into the light' sounds reminiscent of a crappy emo song, imho.
really? it reminds me of van halen for some reason.
"in the immortal words of Thomas G. Warrior: ughhhhh!!"

tom

Mike...do you like Fight The Darkness? Because I love it. Shit. Cheap Trick?...

machatte

Quote from: natural selection on September 22, 2006, 02:05:55 pm
the synth sound is sort of weak, but I love the way the drums start, kenn wrote a great part. 

FireAarro

September 22, 2006, 04:22:22 pm #127 Last Edit: September 22, 2006, 04:25:11 pm by FireAarro
I like this song musically, but I think Ryen's singing and lyrics (just the chorus actually... the verses i don't really mind, but the chorus shits me) kinda annoy me now... shit. Yeah, his recent songs are more Yes Deary.
Unterreiner is tall and surprisingly thin, given that the floor of his closet is stacked high with junk food. Boxes and bags of Doritos, Twinkies and Ho-Hos spill out onto the floor. He has towels around his window to keep out the cold air at night. "I hate this old house," he said bitterly, then changed the name of an unfinished track to "Cold Day."

brad

Quote from: FireAarro on September 22, 2006, 04:22:22 pm
I like this song musically, but I think Ryen's singing and lyrics (just the chorus actually... the verses i don't really mind, but the chorus shits me) kinda annoy me now... shit. Yeah, his recent songs are more Yes Deary.

i agree.  why does he keep writing songs with the same words in it?  now there's two darknesses and two barriers......his lyrics have been pretty boring lately too.

I like ozma

yeah one thing i love about ozma is the way they kind of tell stories, but these songs are kind of just words put together to mean nothing

FireAarro

The new lyrics are more open to interpretation, and have deeper meanings really. Just because they're not singing plainly about teenage love anymore doesn't mean the songs mean nothing.
Unterreiner is tall and surprisingly thin, given that the floor of his closet is stacked high with junk food. Boxes and bags of Doritos, Twinkies and Ho-Hos spill out onto the floor. He has towels around his window to keep out the cold air at night. "I hate this old house," he said bitterly, then changed the name of an unfinished track to "Cold Day."

tis not mike other

Quote from: CantelopeSkiz on September 21, 2006, 03:33:49 pm
I think that many of you peeps are failing to remember that these songs are just drafts of a final product, there is much more to be made of these songs, but nevertheless, these are pretty good. Yes Dear clearly has had a huge influence on Ryen and Dan has been heavily influenced by his other works as well. I'd really like to hear a song co-written by the two, and having Jose help would be better as well.
I agree with your opnion. Good post.

gloom-glaam

September 23, 2006, 07:55:32 pm #132 Last Edit: September 25, 2006, 01:40:35 pm by CantelopeSkiz
Quote from: I like ozma. on September 22, 2006, 11:34:04 am

non douchebag edit:
Be quiet, think of an original insult, bad Kerry reference and stop being mad about there not being a new RaRPT

Not Jason

Meh, I don't care who says what about me and mike.  Our love will endure your criticisms.  Nobody should waste their time arguing about that.  I think it's a bit funny how quickly this thread erodes into playgroundisms like "shut your face".  I'm all for heated debate, but man, what are we, 6 years old?  CantelopeSkiz, I appreciate what I assume is support, but there's no need to go about it like that.

I'm all for the shit talk, but let's talk like adults and let's keep it vaguely related to Ozma here.
You and I were the extremities
I am the baseball.

gloom-glaam

Yeah you're right, I was fairly miserable that night being sore all over, migrane and finding out my favorite show ever was cancelled. I Like Ozma, I'm sorry I very over reacted that time and I take back the insults.

I like ozma

eh, im used to it. i thought we were cool now though, but i guess not...

WhoYouCallinWeez

Quoteand finding out my favorite show ever was cancelled.

what show??

gloom-glaam

Why, The Morgan Waters Show, of course.

Rome

I'm all for the shit talk, but let's talk like adults and let's keep it vaguely related to Ozma here.

Dear Jason,
You are a tool. I don't mean a tool like The Other Mike, I mean a tool like a Hammer. You just sit there and band any kind of rod with a head on the end. You sit there and slam that sucker until the shaft dissappears and all you can see is the glans. Ozma.

Fantastic Max

September 26, 2006, 09:36:59 pm #139 Last Edit: September 26, 2006, 09:39:41 pm by Fantastic Max
Quote from: brad on September 22, 2006, 05:15:14 pm

i agree.Ã,  why does he keep writing songs with the same words in it?Ã,  now there's two darknesses and two barriers......his lyrics have been pretty boring lately too.

Only quoting you because I wanted to thank the hell out of you for indirectly getting me into Tally Hall.
Last week when you mentioned them, I thought "Might as well, check em out" or whatever, yknow..not expecting much.

Little did I know, I'd come across a band that'd instantly jump into my top 5 favorite bands, maybe even ever.

Rarely is there a band I hear and instantly want the album. It's only been like 5 or 6 days, and I have the album, know almost all of the words to the songs, have made copies for people, and have seen every single video they have, whether it be via YouTube or their website.

So yeah. Thank you.
I love you.Ã,  haha.
"Cross my heart, hope to die, stick a pizza in my mouth."
-Donkey Lips

brad

Quote from: Fantastic Max on September 26, 2006, 09:36:59 pm

i agree.Ã,  why does he keep writing songs with the same words in it?Ã,  now there's two darknesses and two barriers......his lyrics have been pretty boring lately too.

Only quoting you because I wanted to thank the hell out of you for indirectly getting me into Tally Hall.
Last week when you mentioned them, I thought "Might as well, check em out" or whatever, yknow..not expecting much.

Little did I know, I'd come across a band that'd instantly jump into my top 5 favorite bands, maybe even ever.

Rarely is there a band I hear and instantly want the album. It's only been like 5 or 6 days, and I have the album, know almost all of the words to the songs, have made copies for people, and have seen every single video they have, whether it be via YouTube or their website.

So yeah. Thank you.
I love you.Ã,  haha.

lol i love you too.  just saw them saturday again where they premiered their video for "good day" which should come online sometime this week.  get ready to have your mind blown.

k24

i just told ozma how much i thought the new stuff kicks ass. and i mean everyword of it. this stuff is great!

tis not mike other

Quote from: brad on September 26, 2006, 10:12:32 pm

i agree.  why does he keep writing songs with the same words in it?  now there's two darknesses and two barriers......his lyrics have been pretty boring lately too.

So yeah. Thank you.
I love you.  haha.

lol i love you too.  just saw them saturday again where they premiered their video for "good day" which should come online sometime this week.  get ready to have your mind blown.
Thanks Brad and Caleb! This my be one of my fav bands now too, becuase of you guys. They rock hard.

gloom-glaam

Quote from: =Oatmeal= on September 27, 2006, 01:47:19 pm

So yeah. Thank you.
I love you.Ã,  haha.

lol i love you too.Ã,  just saw them saturday again where they premiered their video for "good day" which should come online sometime this week.Ã,  get ready to have your mind blown.
Thanks Brad! This my be one of my fav bands now too, becuase of you guys. They rock hard.

icecreamman

Not to spam up this thread, but they aren't that bad.  The coolest thing is they are based in Ann Arbor, Michigan.  If I get into U of M I might get to see them live!!!

brad

i go to u of m -- so i see them all the time!

Fantastic Max

Quote from: CantelopeSkiz on September 27, 2006, 02:00:17 pm

So yeah. Thank you.
I love you.Ã,  haha.

lol i love you too.Ã,  just saw them saturday again where they premiered their video for "good day" which should come online sometime this week.Ã,  get ready to have your mind blown.
Thanks Brad! This my be one of my fav bands now too, becuase of you guys. They rock hard.

Haha I love how you took my name out of that quote, yet forgot to remove the "you guys" deeming your efforts useless :P
-Donkey Lips

Fantastic Max

September 27, 2006, 02:56:04 pm #147 Last Edit: September 27, 2006, 02:58:07 pm by Fantastic Max
Quote from: brad on September 27, 2006, 02:47:32 pm
i go to u of m -- so i see them all the time!

I do now feel the shaft that Jason and others feel, about ozma always playing CA shows, where I live. Yet Tally Hall's halfway across the country.
*SIIIIGH*
-Donkey Lips

Not Jason

Quote from: Rome on September 26, 2006, 08:27:08 pm

Dear Jason,
You are a tool. I don't mean a tool like The Other Mike, I mean a tool like a Hammer. You just sit there and band any kind of rod with a head on the end. You sit there and slam that sucker until the shaft dissappears and all you can see is the glans. Ozma.

Well, I guess I've been owned.
You and I were the extremities
I am the baseball.

gloom-glaam

Quote from: Fantastic Max on September 27, 2006, 02:54:43 pm
Quote from: CantelopeSkiz on September 27, 2006, 02:00:17 pm

So yeah. Thank you.
I love you.Ã,  haha.

Haha I love how you took my name out of that quote, yet forgot to remove the "you guys" deeming your efforts useless :P
Brad deserves to count as two people for showing us that band, and the reason I took your name out is because I checked them out because of him, when you joined the love of Tally Hall it was already useless to me.