May 02, 2024, 08:48:56 am

News:

When's the last time you said "I love you" to a friend!?

Ozma on Late night t.v. show?

Started by I Like Ozma, January 01, 2008, 09:02:14 am

Previous topic - Next topic

I Like Ozma

im pretty sure the answer is a NO, but does anyone know if ozma has ever played on a late night show? i.e. Late night with conan obrien, the tonight show....

i think if ozma was able to play on one of these they would get some good exposure. i remember the first time i ever heard of jet was on late night with conan obrien and the first time i ever heard howie day was on last call.
Quote from: Elliott on December 09, 2006, 03:02:12 pm
Good point, too bad theyre gonna criticize you now.

noonchild

I'm pretty sure they played the Chevy Chase show a few times.
The light cast dark shadows all around me

Not Jason

I'm still shocked to find out that people in the world actually listen to Howie Day or know who he is.

Anyway, as far as I'm aware, Ozma has never made any real national television appearances.

As far as the exposure they'd get from it, that's debatable.  There might be a lot of bands you heard for the first time on a late night show, but as for an example like Jet, the reason you KEPT hearing about them afterwards was because of the promotional machine behind them.  In Ozma's case, I don't think they've ever really had a label behind them that really GOT what they were doing and how to properly market it.  God knows their current label doesn't have a clue.  And usually they seem keen on cutting their losses rather than giving it another kick.  It seems that's what's happened in Ozma's case, which is probably why I haven't been hearing any buzz about the next poorly chosen single.*  So in my opinion, a late night appearance would not really do all that much to help them, because the aditional promotion just doesn't exist.

*I'm not saying "Eponine" is a bad song, but it was a flat out stupid choice to release as a single, given the other material on the record and the current state of the music industry.  Heartache Vs. Heartbreak, for example, is a song that I think could have actually went somewhere.

You and I were the extremities
I am the baseball.

Fantastic Max

Quote from: Not Jason on January 03, 2008, 01:11:50 pm
I'm still shocked to find out that people in the world actually listen to Howie Day or know who he is.

Really? Why? He's been out forever. I first learned of his existence about 4 years ago or so.
"Cross my heart, hope to die, stick a pizza in my mouth."
-Donkey Lips

Not Jason

January 04, 2008, 04:54:56 am #4 Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 05:09:01 am by Not Jason
Quote from: Fantastic Max on January 03, 2008, 04:34:04 pm
Quote from: Not Jason on January 03, 2008, 01:11:50 pm

Really? Why? He's been out forever. I first learned of his existence about 4 years ago or so.

There are two primary reasons.  The first is that I just don't think he's very noteworthy as a musician.

The second is that he is originally from Bangor, Maine, which is for all intents and purposes, where I live.  He got more fame and attention after he left the state, but back 7 years ago when I first moved down here, I knew a ton of people who knew him in some way or another.  A good friend of mine shares an ex girlfriend in common with (apparently one that he's written quite a large body of music about, and more or less named an album for).  I have met a LOT of people who have stories about him being a total prick in some setting or another.

And I know a lot of you are from California or other more densely populated areas, and can quickly rattle of a long list of celebrities, both minor and huge, from your immediate area.  In Maine, with a very sparce population, it's easier I think to get a real handle on the impossibility of mainstream success and to therefor see the novelty in it that is probably missed elsewhere.  I can only name two nationally known celebrities that have very strong ties to Maine beyond a summer house on the coast or having lived here for a couple of years as a kid before moving away and getting famous elsewhere.
I am the baseball.

I Like Ozma

Not Jason

Quote from: I Like Ozma on January 05, 2008, 01:03:48 pm
i smell a hint of jealousy.

Only in the sense that I'm jealous of everyone who's more successful than me.  But realistically, I've got no desire to be making the music he's makings.  Also, I've never met ANYBODY who knows him personally who has had anything positive to say about him.  And maybe you're right, and maybe some of that is jealousy, but as small towners, we tend to cling to celebrities (for example, nobody in town talks shit about Stephen King, but he also donates huge amounts of money).  I actually think that on average, Howie Day get's less listenership in Bangor than he does nationwide.  In the past two years, I've heard more mention of him on the internet than I have in person.

Anyway, I'm sorry to have turned this into the official Howie Day thread.
I am the baseball.

VanSlegr Fan

uhhh, right then. Who's Howie Day again? Or should i be glad i don't know.....?
Ryen Slegr and Daniel Brummel could eat a can of Alphabet Soup and poopoo out better lyrics than Rivers Cuomo

I save my best for last and after that don't even ask me - Beck

Not Jason

Quote from: VanSlegr Fan on January 05, 2008, 03:22:39 pm
uhhh, right then. Who's Howie Day again? Or should i be glad i don't know.....?

In my opinion, he's just some dude who plays pop music on guitar.  He's talented, but I have no desire to listen to him.

I really want to find a way to bring this discussion back around to Ozma on a late night talk show, but I think I've exhausted my points on that until somebody gives me something to disagree with.
I am the baseball.

VanSlegr Fan

January 05, 2008, 04:06:17 pm #9 Last Edit: January 05, 2008, 04:09:55 pm by VanSlegr Fan
QuoteI really want to find a way to bring this discussion back around to Ozma on a late night talk show, but I think I've exhausted my points on that until somebody gives me something to disagree with.

i'll try to help ya out with that....

do you think Ozma will make an apperance on Conan <i'm not sure what other Late Niters tailor the music segements to more independent artists> or whatever show any time soon? What's the likelyhood? I agree with Jason about HvH, they should perform this and not Eponine i think, but since Ep. is the single, it makes sense they'd play Ep <though my dream would be to hear Inc.Blues or UMT>

I think the time is ripe for Ozma to make there Late Night debut.
Ryen Slegr and Daniel Brummel could eat a can of Alphabet Soup and poopoo out better lyrics than Rivers Cuomo

I save my best for last and after that don't even ask me - Beck

I Like Ozma

Right now it doesnt even seem like ozma WANTS to play anything. they are all doing their own solo stuff again. COME ONE LATE NIGHT TELEVISION!!!

bulb dylan

Quote from: I Like Ozma on January 06, 2008, 10:03:50 am
Right now it doesnt even seem like ozma WANTS to play anything. they are all doing their own solo stuff again. COME ONE LATE NIGHT TELEVISION!!!

You have a lot to learn, man. Ozma aren't some local band who can just make decisions willy-nilly. They have a booking agent that regulates the income they get from shows, and how often they can play. They can't just start booking shows whenever they want. They have to wait until the people they have entered into a contract with set up the opportunity. This is the "yang" to the "yin" if you will. They give up some flexibility in the hopes that their label/booking agent get them some decent tours and appearances. Or in the case of the last tour, they played 20 minute sets, sacrificing the time for some exposure. Think of how many cities had the name "Ozma" listed in the Calendar section of the local newspaper for weeks leading up to the show. Hopefully it helped.

And on the other point, Howie Day and Jet didn't just call up Conan because they wanted to be on the show. Late Night's producers want bands that will get ratings for the show, and labels want the exposure. So when Capitol Records calls up and says, "Hey, we are pushing the shit out of this horrible band called Jet," they gladly get booked on Conan by all parties involved.

So in that meantime, side projects help defeat the boredom. Don't get down on them, don't take it personally. If you want Ozma to get bigger, keep requesting Eponine and keep the complaints to a minimum. Better yet, keep calling your local college station (or one [or two or five] far away) and get them to play the Ozma song you want to hear. You can help them if you want.

Not Jason

January 06, 2008, 02:21:04 pm #12 Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 02:23:07 pm by Not Jason
edit:  forget it, dylan said it better.
I am the baseball.