April 17, 2024, 08:12:05 pm

News:

Don't smoke m3th!

So what happened?

Started by Jonas190, January 01, 2005, 11:49:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonas190

I am a pretty big Ozma fan, but have not looked them up online for a while.  Now I find out that they are broken up and my insides squeeze up so that I can not breathe.  I listen to their CDs at least once a week,  more often more than that, and now I find there will be no more new Ozma.  I see this stuff for Yes Dear and they seem to be good, but only time will tell.

Any info about what happened would be awesome, especially since the Ozma website doesn't seem to be up anymore. 

Not Jason

everything in this reply is as much speculation and personal theorizing as it is fact, but it's what i believe to be true:

ozma's break up probably had to do with many things.  first of all, they formed in high school and had kept pretty much the same line up for about 9 years.  while the members of the band shared similar tastes and aspirations at that point, in that long period of time, inevitably the members started to grow more interrested in other types of music and ozma stopped being a functional outlet for them to all work in.  if you listen to any of dan's side projects, it's pretty clear that he in particular has a lot of interrests quite separate from ozma.  there were also personal conflicts resulting from long, hard and thankless touring and the trials that come along with being a little appreciated independant band.  as far as i can be aware, there aren't lingering hatreds in the air between any former members at this point, but tensions did reach a boiling point long enough for all the other problems to come to the surface and become a lot harder to deal with.

that's my theory.
You and I were the extremities
I am the baseball.

k24

i bet they got tired of playing "the ups and downs".

Not Jason

they played that song once out of the five times i saw them.  if anything, you'd be safer to say they got sick of playing korobeiniki or 1988, which they played almost everytime i saw them.
I am the baseball.

Jonas190

Thanks for letting me know.  I am still kind of shocked about the whole break up as I just found out last night!  When did it actually happen?

Not Jason

Quote from: Jonas190 on January 02, 2005, 09:54:25 pm
Thanks for letting me know.Ã,  I am still kind of shocked about the whole break up as I just found out last night!Ã,  When did it actually happen?

july, it was pretty rough.
I am the baseball.

jvstin

Quote from: Not Jason on January 02, 2005, 09:58:19 pm
Quote from: Jonas190 on January 02, 2005, 09:54:25 pm
Thanks for letting me know.Ã,  I am still kind of shocked about the whole break up as I just found out last night!Ã,  When did it actually happen?

july, it was pretty rough.
yeah, it was pretty rough.
"in the immortal words of Thomas G. Warrior: ughhhhh!!"

DougieZero

January 03, 2005, 11:01:32 am #7 Last Edit: January 03, 2005, 12:27:30 pm by DougieZero
I wonder which members had to get real jobs?....

Also... looking back... Does anyone know how the hell Ozma got to play Japan's Summer Sonic festival?...

Some bands on the Summer Sonic bill:
Guns N' Roses, Weezer, Sum41, Andrew W.K, Hoobastank, The Hives, The Offspring, NoFX, No Doubt, Disturbed, Siouxsie & The Banshee, The Streets.

Toured the country mutiple times. They got to be on the Warped Tour circuit... They got to be part of that Yahoo! Outloud tour. They toured with Weezer, Rilo Kiley, Supergrass and Nada Surf. They just couldn't really break out of the California box. The only mainstream press they got was a tiny article in Alternative Press and an online Playboy.com review...
"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members."

kitten

i belive dan got a job at a record store.
jose hasn't said anything about having a job, but i believe he mentioned needing one. 
i really don't know what ryen's up to.
wasn't pat touring with some band?  i really don't know.
star i believe has been hanging out with stuart, she almost moved to dallas to work for neiman marcus.

that's about all i know.  dylan would know better than anyone.

DougieZero

Quote from: koneko on January 03, 2005, 11:25:08 am
i belive dan got a job at a record store.

I can just imagine the job interview...

THE OWNER: So, Mr. Brummell... what do you know about music?

DAN: Well... for starters... you have 2 copies of my band's 3rd album.
"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members."

OMGWTFBBQ

ryen is working at an artist's studio near his house, if i'm remembering correctly.

and doing the yes dear thing.

k24

kitten

nothing wrong with that.  if it's affording him to do what makes him happy, then that's great.

el alex

Quote from: koneko on January 03, 2005, 11:25:08 am
star i believe has been hanging out with stuart, she almost moved to
according to her myspace she's doing some fashion design./
i'll get around to this... now
my spaceage
http://www.alexpages.wronger.com

kitten

yeah, did you see her dressed up like a super hero?  nice.  also, stuart burned his band very badly.

Kyosho

Just for the uninformed, here's a little info on Daniel. Some time this year he's releasing his "Speaky Easy" album (at least I think that was the name). Also at some point he's planning to release a "Contraband Redux" with songs like 10:04pm and others on it that haven't had a studio recording yet. Also, at some time in the future, he and Andrea plan to create their own music label. . .
I'll be rising high above the earth so soon, and the tears I cry might turn into the rain that gently falls upon your window. You'll never know.

el alex

Quote from: koneko on January 06, 2005, 07:38:36 pm
yeah, did you see her dressed up like a super hero?Ã,  nice.Ã,  also, stuart burned his band very badly.

what band is stuart in?
i'll get around to this... now
my spaceage
http://www.alexpages.wronger.com

kitten

piebald.  i'm sorry, aaron stuart.  i thought it was clear.  sorry.

jvstin

Quote from: Kyosho on January 06, 2005, 11:47:00 pm
Just for the uninformed, here's a little info on Daniel. Some time this year he's releasing his "Speaky Easy" album (at least I think that was the name). Also at some point he's planning to release a "Contraband Redux" with songs like 10:04pm and others on it that haven't had a studio recording yet. Also, at some time in the future, he and Andrea plan to create their own music label. . .
what about his monstro stuff?
"in the immortal words of Thomas G. Warrior: ughhhhh!!"

bulb dylan

Quote from: el alex on January 07, 2005, 09:13:43 pm
Quote from: koneko on January 06, 2005, 07:38:36 pm
yeah, did you see her dressed up like a super hero?Ã,  nice.Ã,  also, stuart burned his band very badly.

what band is stuart in?

I assume you mean "hand?"

kitten

haha, i'm sorry, i didn't even realize it.  bite me.

Seb

It's depressing when former members of bands you love have to go out and get real jobs. The same thing's happened with Nerf Herder  :-\
"Just tell me one thing - is this business, or is it personal? Because if it's business, then I'll go away happily. But if it's personal? I'll go away. But I won't be happy."

crushedhat

Quote from: Seb on January 10, 2005, 10:40:37 am
It's depressing when former members of bands you love have to go out and get real jobs. The same thing's happened with Nerf Herder  :-\

It's a sad sad day when the geniuses that wrote "tried to say hello at the high school dance / then I wet my pants!" can no longer support themselves with their art.