May 02, 2024, 05:20:01 pm

News:

When's the last time you said "I love you" to a friend!?

Getting Into Ozma

Started by Fantastic Max, February 19, 2006, 11:57:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Fantastic Max

February 19, 2006, 11:57:00 pm Last Edit: February 19, 2006, 11:59:55 pm by ozmacity
Man it's really hard to get someone into Ozma.

Most people I know, including me admit that it took awhile to get into them. Acquired taste type of thing. It took many'a different times of being introduced to them for me to even give em' a chance,and it wasn't until I was by myself in a library listening to my friend's RRP3 and Natalie Portman's "Will her family Lo0o0o0ove me?" creeped its way into my headphones, that I knew there was more to them.

I've been trying to get my girlfriend into them, and she kinda likes them, but I made the mistake of showing her Yes Dear first..well, she heard them more because it's all she had for awhile, but anyways. Now she's like..."I wanna see Yes Dear!" And I'm like "Babe no..it's...OZMA..that is the band. Yes Dear's a side project thingy.   (Side-note: I miss Marty)

Damnit.
"Cross my heart, hope to die, stick a pizza in my mouth."
-Donkey Lips

k24

it wasnt  hard for me at all....

patty

i heard it in my bfs car.
i liked.
a whole lot.
then he said he was playing with them.
so i pretended i didnt care too much.
he was barely my bf at the time.
now he knows im an ozma junkie.

Fantastic Max

-Donkey Lips

Nordel

The first time I heard the Natalie Portman Demo back in 98 I was hooked. I immediately ordered Songs of Audible Trucks and Cars and have loved them ever since.

Axolotl

Quote from: sandbaby on February 20, 2006, 02:23:00 am
The first time I heard the Natalie Portman Demo back in 98 I was hooked. I immediately ordered Songs of Audible Trucks and Cars and have loved them ever since.

Yup ... instant gratification
"The mission could be corrupted and we wouldn't know"

icecreamman

I was one of the mislabeled mp3 guys.  I was hooked on Iceland.

I just got one of my friends into Ozma, and he was saying how incredibly original they are and they can't really be compared to anyone.  I haven't heard a new listener say that about them EVER.

ironbird

It wasnââ,¬â,,¢t too hard for me to get into Ozma.  I was at a friendââ,¬â,,¢s house and I was playing Buddy Holly on his guitar and he said that if I like Weezer than I would certainly like this other band, Ozma.  He played me Domino Effect and I wasnââ,¬â,,¢t so impressed.  (Iââ,¬â,,¢m still not a big fan of Domino Effect by the way, but its ok)  Anyway he offered to lend me his Ozma mix CD (which has some RR3, DDD and UFB all mixed together) and seeing how I didnââ,¬â,,¢t want to be rude, I accepted it.  Well, as soon I got through apple tree  on the drive home that very same night I was in love with them.  It was a pretty easy win for Ozma.

Now, as far as converting other people to the gospel, thatââ,¬â,,¢s a whole nother story. 
If you're reading this then you have no life!  Go ask a girl out or something!ãâ,¬â,¬Ã£â,¬â,¬Ã£ÂÂ¾Ã£Ââ€˜Ã£Ââ€žÃ£ÂÂ¬

I like ozma

Rome

Quote from: ironbird on February 20, 2006, 04:01:00 pm
Now, as far as converting other people to the gospel, thatââ,¬â,,¢s a whole nother story.Ã, 

mmm mmm amen brother. testify.

Jeff42

It seems to me that Ozma is a pretty easy band for people to get into.  When I played RaRP3 in the car one of my friends said he thought it sounded a lot like Weezer, but it was really good.  Then on another car trip he requested I play it again.  Someone I know online only had one Ozma song, "Korobeiniki," but because of me mentioning Ozma several times to her she went and got a bunch more Ozma music and now she loves them.  As for me, I bought RaRP3 having never listened to an Ozma song before because I had seen people on the Internet call it things like "the real third Weezer album" and I was hooked by the second song.

savewhatyouare

after "shootingstars," i knew something special happened. hooked from first listen of r&rp3.

heysarahsarah

I saw them open for Weezer.  A friend bought the album at the show.  Fell in love listening to it in the grass of the quad while sunbathing. 8)
Bob511i: But SARAH is my <3

No day but today.

gloom-glaam

for me it was my friend going on msn and saying
MICHAEL
YOU'VE GOT TO LISTEN TO THIS BAND!
then he sent me shooting stars and no one needs to know
and i've been in love with ozma ever since

returnofdisco

I read somewhere that Rivers Cuomo liked this band so much that he asked them to come on tour with them and I thought "wow, that's like every Weezer fan's dream".  So I decided to listen to these little Californian lucky asses.  I was looking through some Misfits vinyl at this record shop in Ft. Worth and this album on the used shelf caught my eye.  It looked so cool with that computery 1980s design on the front.  Turned out it was RRP3 so I bought it for like 7 bucks.  I remember listening to it as I was going to bed and Apple Trees stuck out with the line "an apple pie, the number pi, I studied you in math class, and did all my work but never got your digits".  I still wasn't too impressed until I heard In search of 1988.  I thought "man that's a cool title for a song" and I liked the theme.  So I guess that's when I became a fan. 
but most of all I fear you'd see, parts of me buried for centuries

geektheindierocker

It was the Natalie Portman demo for me, I think the solo part really caught my ear. A little while later I was talking to a mutual Weezer fanatic and asked him if he had heard Ozma, and he mentioned how he downloaded Gameover (acoustic demo) thinking it was Weezer and it soon became one of his favorite songs. I proceeded to dl Gameover and it blew my mind. Then crappy-ass Aimster deleted my entire shared folder where every mp3 I had was housed and I kinda forgot about Ozma for two years. I found DDD used in a cd store and upon first listen it damn near knocked my pubes right off my ballz. I then converted about 20 of my friends and their aquaintences in the proceeded months in the southern New Jersey area.

antiuser

I only really got into Ozma in mid '04. I was listening to Weezer and Teenage Fanclub a lot, and a friend said I should check out Ozma. I hit up slsk and downloaded a few tracks (couldn't find any full albums)... Baseball, Continental Drift, Gameover and Domino Effect did it for me. The next day I went to the record store and picked up Rock and Roll part 3 and Spending Time (they didn't have Donkey at the time). They've been in my top 10 all-time favourite bands ever since.

I like ozma

i seen ozmas last show at the wiltern and i kinda listened to them then, but i only knew like five songs, so when i met ryen after the show the only thing i could think of to say was "you guys sound a lot like ozma" and soon after i found out they broke up, then after that all my friends said i broke ozma up. yeah i know its a lame story, but after that concert i really started listening to them, now they are my favorite band

oatmeal

February 21, 2006, 05:32:43 pm #18 Last Edit: February 21, 2006, 10:32:48 pm by oatmeal
Quote from: I like ozma on February 21, 2006, 04:19:17 pm
i seen ozmas last show at the wiltern and i kinda listened to them then, but i only knew like five songs, so when i met ryen after the show the only thing i could think of to say was "you guys sound a lot like ozma" and soon after i found out they broke up, then after that all my friends said i broke ozma up. yeah i know its a lame story, but after that concert i really started listening to them, now they are my favorite band

I thought you said "you guys sound a lot like weezer" not ozma. Im sure thats what you said. And I missed it while I was buying a t-shirt. Yeah by saying that you made him sad and in effect caused ozma to break up. Its all you. :awhellnah:
:happydance:

gloom-glaam

Kurtzie

Acoustic Game Over, then RRP3 and Spending Time one after the other. With in a week I heard DDD and I never looked back.
Everything will work out as long as you do whatever you want with out worring about the consequences.

Fantastic Max

Quote from: Kurtzie on February 21, 2006, 07:54:18 pm
Acoustic Game Over, then RRP3 and Spending Time one after the other. With in a week I heard DDD and I never looked back.
I remember discovering the acoustic digevent video on the RRP3 enhanced cd, and falling in love.

I actually got one of my friends into Ozma by playing Landing of Yuri Gagarin once. That part after the bum-bum's where Ryen and Dan do the "Whoa"s is one of the most Samuel powerful moments in their discography.
-Donkey Lips

I like ozma

Quote from: oatmeal on February 21, 2006, 05:32:43 pm
Quote from: I like ozma on February 21, 2006, 04:19:17 pm

I thought you said "you guys sound a lot like weezer" not ozma. Im sure thats what you said. And I missed it while I was buying a t-shirt. Yeah buy saying that you made him sad and caused ozma to break up. Its all you. :awhellnah:
:happydance:

oh yeah, oops i meant weezer.