May 15, 2024, 11:30:59 am

News:

Don't smoke m3th!

Ocho...

Started by monkeypilot, September 07, 2005, 06:51:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

monkeypilot

Does anyone have any songs off of Ocho? 

I've searched around forever for an actual copy, but haven't come across one yet.

Not Jason

You're never going to find an actual copy.  I've only ever seen one on ebay.  It went for well over 100 bucks.

My question is this:  Why does nobody ever ask about Cuatro?  It's always Ocho.  I'd kill to hear Cuatro.
You and I were the extremities
I am the baseball.

oatmeal

I would love to hear Cuatro. I have ocho it is great. My aim is ozmastarcomand(yes only one m I cant spell) if u want it.

OMGWTFBBQ

do you really have those songs?

i know they were floating around... notjason and some other fools were sitting on them forever, and punishing us all with ear-bleeding cover versions.

Not Jason

Quote from: OMGWTFBBQ on September 08, 2005, 02:55:54 pm
punishing us all with ear-bleeding cover versions.

Yeah, fuck you too.
I am the baseball.

OMGWTFBBQ

well, i don't mean to be inflammatory... but honestly, if you're going to make something avaliable for download, then make it the genuine article.

The Other Mike

September 08, 2005, 05:56:29 pm #6 Last Edit: September 08, 2005, 06:11:37 pm by The Other Mike
Quote from: OMGWTFBBQ on September 08, 2005, 05:07:21 pm
well, i don't mean to be inflammatory... but honestly, if you're going to make something avaliable for download, then make it the genuine article.

Firstly, I discreetly shared the songs we were covering over DC++ at the time.  If you missed it, well... too bad.

Secondly, (and I'm not just saying this because I was involved in making the covers), but they were at least as good as the source material.  The quality of the recordings is not particularly good, and ozma was pretty young at the time so the quality of the actual songs is below that of their later work anyhow.

Thirdly, we didn't pick those songs to be dicks.  We just wanted to participate in the tribute cd without arguing over who got to do what song.  We knew no one else would be covering those songs so we went for it.

Fourthly, fuck you.
blackjack1084 (11:02:36 PM): eat my ass
blackjack1084 (11:02:38 PM): and get a life

www.myspace.com/therattlesnakes

Not Jason

September 08, 2005, 06:53:06 pm #7 Last Edit: September 08, 2005, 06:55:37 pm by Not Jason
I wanted to cover ocho songs because they were executed poorly on the originals and I wanted to make them better.Ã,  if not for me, nobody would have ocho.Ã,  I gave them to some people while ozma was still a band, but not heavily because:Ã,  1. the band had expressed a desire not to have them available heavily, 2. the person who gave them to me asked me not to give them away.Ã,  I don't believe in biting the hand that feeds for the sake of being a nice guy.Ã,  As is, I broke the conditions of our agreement plenty more than I should have.Ã,  After ozma broke up, the only thing that kept me from making the songs immediately widely available is that I didn't want to share them until I'd cleaned up the quality of the files.Ã,  I didn't want shitty quality versions floating around if I could possibly make them better.Ã,  They are currently, and have been for months, available to absolutely everybody on my getfile list, under the assumption that they will download and share them if they so please.

I'm proud of my work with Mike on TRUCKATRON!.Ã,  I think we did good work on everything we colaborated on and I will make no excuses or appologies.Ã,  I fully accept that in making material public, I open myself up to criticism.Ã,  Feel free to say whatever you want about it, just don't expect me to congratulate you for being an asshole about it.

Quote from: OMGWTFBBQ on September 08, 2005, 05:07:21 pm
well, i don't mean to be inflammatory

you very clearly do.
I am the baseball.

OMGWTFBBQ

September 08, 2005, 08:07:07 pm #8 Last Edit: September 08, 2005, 08:19:35 pm by OMGWTFBBQ
oh, boo hoo.

look, if you like the covers you did, then wonderful. what I or others think about them is totally beside the point... which is that if you were SO concerned with the originals not being spread around, then you wouldn't have released the covers at all.

i also fail to understand how me (or others) not being aware of you discreetly sharing Ocho over an obscure filesharing program is my fault.

and of course, i'm sure the songs probably suck. No one cares how bad they sound. again, not the point. An ozma fan does not want to hear the earliest work of a band they loved and were very attached to only through watered-down laptop covers by some message board kids.

but whatever. enjoy.

Not Jason

I've bent over backwards to give a lot of media to a lot of people in this community.  I will not be guilt tripped because i fall short of complete altruism on rare occaision.  Regardless of connection speed I've never turned down anyone who IMed me and pointblank asked me for files.  I failed to go online and say "hey everyone who wants ocho, IM me."  well boo fucking hoo.  I couldn't even begin to estimate how many people I've sent "Songs of Inaudible Trucks and Cars" to, or various hard to get shit.

Do I get some elitist asshole kick out of owning ocho?  Sure.  Might that motivate me slightly in wanting to cover the songs, wanting to point out that everyone got the files from me?  Sure.  I'll admit it.  Do whatever the hell you want with that confession.  Regardless, you all have access to the files in versions that i spent a lot of time and effort to make available in the highest possible quality I could manage.  So talk shit about me all you want because I wasn't as timely as you'd prefer, or you can grow the fuck up and appreciate that I bothered at all.
I am the baseball.

Kris Danger

Quote from: OMGWTFBBQ on September 08, 2005, 02:55:54 pm
do you really have those songs?

i know they were floating around... notjason and some other fools were sitting on them forever, and punishing us all with ear-bleeding cover versions.

i just want to ask have you actually heard anything from ocho? because i have, and trust me the truckatron covers are equal to or if not better than the original songs. the originals are piss poor quality and the songs themselves arent even that good. which is precisely why the few people that had them or heard them didnt share them and why ozma never again released them or played them. dan and ryen played hopeless for me once and apoligized for the crappyness of the song. they didnt like those old songs so much star hadn't even heard it before that nite. so in closing fuck off.

TRUCKATRON! for life

The Other Mike

September 09, 2005, 02:33:36 am #11 Last Edit: September 09, 2005, 11:37:48 am by The Other Mike
I hate people who don't remember what life was like before the internet and just assume that everything should be given to them free all the time and that somehow they are being wronged if it isn't.  I'm friends with jason and he didn't share ocho with  me for quite a while because of the band's stated intent that they didn't want it shared.  And you know what?  I didn't really mind.
blackjack1084 (11:02:36 PM): eat my ass
blackjack1084 (11:02:38 PM): and get a life

www.myspace.com/therattlesnakes

OMGWTFBBQ

again... I don't think everyone is entitled to hearing whatever you might have in your collection. Hoard away, goodness knows i've done the same more than once.

I'm only expressing my opinion that the covers, however well intentioned, were an douche-y  thing to put out if you didn't want the originals circulating.

and to kris: again, i'm sure no one gives a fuck how crappy the originals sound. Is it not understandable that i don't want to hear some random kid singing those songs before i hear the real thing?

Bob511

Quote from: OMGWTFBBQ on September 08, 2005, 08:07:07 pm
i also fail to understand how me (or others) not being aware of you discreetly sharing Ocho over an obscure filesharing program is my fault.

and of course, i'm sure the songs probably suck. No one cares how bad they sound. again, not the point. An ozma fan does not want to hear the earliest work of a band they loved and were very attached to only through watered-down laptop covers by some message board kids.

but whatever. enjoy.
What in the world....?

I mean, it's not as if people were crying out for these songs for years and all Mike and Jason tossed out were covers with "*Not Actual Versions" in very fine print or anything--the covers were released barely in advance of Jason offering to anyone who wanted cleaned-up captures of the originals from his tapes, by a number of transfer means (I remember seeing them in his DC++ share over a year ago now).  Getting all self-righteous over having missed hearing about it seems rather absurd, no?

OMGWTFBBQ

isn't it also absurd for either of them to be flying off the handle while i obviously wasn't aware of such things?

Ianny

There's really nothing to be arguing about here.  Jason did not do anything wrong here, especially since the band and the guy who first gave him "Ocho" didn't want him spreading it much.  He gave them to anyone who asked, but didn't post them on the site.  I've done this in the past with certain things, and see no problems in doing so.  And the covers were pretty well produced as well, and are on par with the originals.

So again, what is everyone all fussy about?  Relax, don't do it, when you want to go to it..
~Ozma is now back.  Do a dance!  :D

To hear more from this strange man, go to the journal.
I also have two podcasts, one updated weekly, and one updated whenever I find the time.  The weekly one is Comic Timing and is found here.The other is "The Geekspeak Report" which is found here.

Cheese

He deleted his account.  And where are these Truckatron songs?  I want to hear.

imatreeandurnot

Quote from: Casey Murdoch on September 09, 2005, 06:15:37 pm
He deleted his account.  And where are these Truckatron songs?  I want to hear.
I knew I should've closed this thread before something happens! ..oh well.

Quote from: Casey Murdoch on September 09, 2005, 06:15:37 pm
And where are these Truckatron songs?  I want to hear.
I'll be uploading what I have tomorrow-ish

Not Jason

I think our purevolume account probably still has them posted.

Anyway, good riddance.

I've never seen him give any criticism halfway near constructive about anything I've ever posted.  I dislike a great deal of the things people give me.  if I insist on voicing disaproval i'll at the very least pad it or put some kind of "you should try..." spin on it.  This guy's been quick to talk shit about everything from my esperience, and whether it's just cause he hates me or what, I have no idea.  I've never really bothered to let it get to me too much.  I know my limitations and I give 100% anyway.  Love it or hate it, I'm not ashamed of any of it.
I am the baseball.

Not Jason

Oh, and just for the hell of it:

Anyone who wants Ocho, feel free to IM me.
I am the baseball.

funwithsponges

Quote from: Not Jason on September 09, 2005, 07:13:42 pm
I've never really bothered to let it get to me too much.

Frankly, I think this thread completely contradicts that statement, but whatever.

I kinda think you guys overreacted.  It's just one dude who didn't like your shit.  Big deal.

And Mike.  Seriously lol@saying "I hate people who don't remember a time before the internet".  Those uphill-both-ways, barefoot-in-the-snow trips to the record store were bitches, weren't they?  P.S. that was intended as a lighthearted jab, not being a dick.

Not Jason

Quote from: funwithsponges on September 09, 2005, 08:47:01 pm
Quote from: Not Jason on September 09, 2005, 07:13:42 pm
I've never really bothered to let it get to me too much.

Frankly, I think this thread completely contradicts that statement, but whatever.

I kinda think you guys overreacted.Ã,  It's just one dude who didn't like your shit.Ã,  Big deal.

I don't think so.  I reacted to him being a dick.  I didn't say he was wrong in hating our covers.  I merely stated that I'm proud of my work with mike.  Letting it get to me would have been making excuses for it, saying things like "yeah, i know the vocals were poor..." or something like that.  So, I dissagree.
I am the baseball.

Andy

September 10, 2005, 02:17:11 pm #22 Last Edit: September 10, 2005, 02:18:46 pm by Andy
Quote from: Not Jason on September 09, 2005, 08:14:48 pm
Oh, and just for the hell of it:

Anyone who wants Ocho, feel free to IM me.

I love you.

P.S. I just found out I had Cuatro and not Ocho.
        I don't know spanish.

Not Jason

what?  you have/had cuatro?
I am the baseball.

mike

OK, and I dont mean to offend anyone involved in this topic, but this is miles away the most interesting thread to come across ozmafans yet.  I think it's the fucking tits that a now defunked group still gives folks so much to get worked up over.  To be honest, I don't like Ozma OR Truckathon's versions.  They're both garbage.  And the reasons that Ozma want to keep them buried and Jason and Mikey want to cover them are obvious.  Regardless, I haven't read a thread more carefully in years.  Keep it comin.

Mike
I'M YELLING AT YOU BECAUSE I DON'T RESPECT YOU!

Not Jason

I rather liked our "Trucks and Cars".

Regardless.

Ocho pretty much sucks.  It's interresting if you're a fan of Ozma and want to hear their old shit, otherwise it's pretty much worthless.  I never recreationally listen to it and never have, even when I was really into Ozma.  I think a lot of the stuff on Songs of Inaudible Trucks and Cars was decent enough, but they certainly had to build to that point though.
I am the baseball.

jvstin

Quote from: Not Jason on September 10, 2005, 04:57:19 pm
I rather liked our "Trucks and Cars".

Regardless.

Ocho pretty much sucks.Ã,  It's interresting if you're a fan of Ozma and want to hear their old shit, otherwise it's pretty much worthless.Ã,  I never recreationally listen to it and never have, even when I was really into Ozma.Ã,  I think a lot of the stuff on Songs of Inaudible Trucks and Cars was decent enough, but they certainly had to build to that point though.
hmmm i'm a little interested; i'll IM you sometime. unless it's a problem for some reason.
"in the immortal words of Thomas G. Warrior: ughhhhh!!"

oatmeal

Wow I though Daniel wanted his stuff to be spread. Anyways I LOVE ocho. I like it better than (in)audiable songs of trucks and cars, yeah im a wierdo, yeah and if that guys has  cuatro please share it, again please. I am on my hands and knees, yes im pathetic. Yes I would like to hear your band truckathon to, it sounds awesome. Later

oatmeal

Not Jason

Quote from: oatmeal on September 12, 2005, 01:36:53 pm
Wow I though Daniel wanted his stuff to be spread. Anyways I LOVE ocho. I like it better than (in)audiable songs of trucks and cars,

you're objectively wrong.
I am the baseball.