April 15, 2024, 11:16:57 pm

News:

Maxwell T: @AmishJoe wait are you Jason

Goodbye Ozma

Started by I Like Ozma, January 24, 2009, 08:01:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

I Like Ozma

You had a good run during the pasadena period, it is just too bad you guys had to call it quits.

I spoke with DB last night and he all but confirmed that Ozma is broken up. When i left i said "hope to hear from ozma soon" and he just laughed and said "yeah hopefully" but before that he talked about how he is just focusing on work and that he has no time to record anything and that ozma has taken so much from his life that he has to start a real career now.

I dont think he would mind me saying all this because there was only two things he said not to tell.
Quote from: Elliott on December 09, 2006, 03:02:12 pm
Good point, too bad theyre gonna criticize you now.

brad

While this sucks, it's not all that surprising.  The clues have been there for quite a while.  It just sucks that they won't make an announcement (or maybe that's a good thing and it shows they are undecided, but I doubt it).

CT-700

I could see them just not really making a formal thing (since we've all kind of been assuming this is what was going on), but still maybe playing local shows once or twice a year for nostalgia's sake. Who knows though, we could see a formal goodbye blog or so in next few days/weeks/months. Tis a shame though. Never got to see them live. My 15 year old self would probably have beat my current self's ass for that.

One thing's for sure: I want a Yes Dear reunion!

Haha. Either that or some sort of new collaboration of Ozma members that still want to play music to some capacity.

Oh well, I wish all of them all the best in their future pursuits.

Oatmeal

I think you kind of misapplied that. Daniel did say he would not mind making another album. It did sound like ozma is not active right now.

But it is not like they broke up. Don't say any more or Daniel might never tell us stuff again. ::)
Quote from: antiuser on December 09, 2007, 11:35:30 am
There aren't many bands out there that treat their fans like Ozma does.
http://oatmealmp3blog.blogspot.com/

theozman

soon... they will be united...   MONSTRO and  the first band that played were good but the others were so bad we all (except for maybe oatmeal) wanted to chuck a book at their heads... but we clapped like gentlemen and said good job... a lil white lie never hurt anyone...
Fighting on the internet is like winning the special olympics. Even if you win youre still retarded..

hipsun

ozma is auditioning bass players!

myspace ryen to sign up for tryouts.

jvstin

Quote from: hipsun on January 25, 2009, 01:41:24 pm

thank you for clearing things up!

although i am very saddened that db is leaving (good luck!!), i'm relieved that ozma's sticking around. i'm sure he'll be back in one way or another and will continue to keep an eye out for his output because he's a fucking musical genius.
"in the immortal words of Thomas G. Warrior: ughhhhh!!"

Not Jason

this whole thing was written before the last two replies... so take it for what it's worth.

Quote from: brad on January 25, 2009, 08:34:49 am
While this sucks, it's not all that surprising.  The clues have been there for quite a while.  It just sucks that they won't make an announcement (or maybe that's a good thing and it shows they are undecided, but I doubt it).

What he said.  For a while now, everything I've heard from anyone in the band has been pretty pessimistic.  I was pretty sure they were going to break up a while back, after their last national tour, but I waited and waited and the news never officially surfaced.  Then they played a couple scattered shows and I thought maybe I was wrong, but then everyone started working on independent projects again.  I would be a lot sadder to see them go if I didn't believe, as I do, that Ozma has probably done about all it can do without some kind of major change.  That isn't to say I don't think Pasadena had some great songs.  I think it did.  I think it's more the case that they are all much older and much different people than they were as teenagers when they started this band.  Presumably they've all grown in diverse directions, yet they get together and play the same kind of stuff they decided to play when they were 15 or 16 years old.  I think that puts a lot of strain on the creative process, and I think that it started to show up even as early as Spending Time.  Pasadena could have been their chance to reinvent themselves, but instead, it was a label's insane misguided attempt to repackage some old material and try to push it into a modern pop-radio landscape where it obviously wouldn't fit.  I dunno.  Jose's solo stuff sounds Samuel.  Ryen seems to be keeping himself plenty busy.  Dan always seems to have a few dozen irons on the fire, including the apparent resurrection of Monstro, which I personally find exciting.  I'd say that if they can all go the directions they want to go in, it's probably for the best, so long as they keep working.
You and I were the extremities
I am the baseball.

Martha Gail

Quote from: Bob Loblaw on January 25, 2009, 01:51:10 pm

although i am very saddened that db is leaving (good luck!!), i'm relieved that ozma's sticking around. i'm sure he'll be back in one way or another and will continue to keep an eye out for his output because he's a fucking musical genius.

Jose said he's heard nothing of this.
That's Cobra on Cobra action.

brad

January 25, 2009, 03:27:58 pm #9 Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 03:30:25 pm by brad
Quote from: Martha Gail on January 25, 2009, 02:41:09 pm

i wouldn't take hipsun's post serious at all.  he's being sarcastic.

Oatmeal

January 25, 2009, 06:35:27 pm #10 Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 06:55:10 pm by oatmeal
Quote from: brad on January 25, 2009, 03:27:58 pm
Quote from: Martha Gail on January 25, 2009, 02:41:09 pm

i wouldn't take hipsun's post serious at all.  he's being sarcastic.

Yeah that's what I got from it.

But I could possibly see member's of ozma getting a little mad about how Ronnie quoted him. He really misquoted him though.

All Daniel said is that they currently are not doing any ozma stuff.

Zombie Don Ho

They're obviously not going to do Ozma without Brummel.

jvstin

hah! well, i'm gullible. and prepared for the worst at all times.
"in the immortal words of Thomas G. Warrior: ughhhhh!!"

machatte

OZMA has not and will never "break up" again, whether we play or record again or not.  it's too much trouble. 

I Like Ozma

I think that pretty much solidifies my credibility.

hipsun

sounds pretty open ended to me. is there a rule that says in order to be in a band, it has to be your creative focus at all times? how many years between pinkerton and the green album? ok computer and kid a? u2 records? the stone roses and the second coming?

i happy that ozma isn't breaking up. they're like that crazy ex-girlfriend you still get to have sex with every few months. as long as she doesnt get any stds, it's cool.

machatte

ozma Mayan Nation Tour 2012 - feel it.

Not Jason

Quote from: machatte on February 04, 2009, 05:44:09 pm
OZMA has not and will never "break up" again, whether we play or record again or not.  it's too much trouble. 

Good move.

So, indefinite hiatus then, I guess is a more appropriate term.  I think that's the way to do it.
You and I were the extremities
I am the baseball.

I Like Ozma

All i am requesting is one more album, i dont care if i never get to see "ozma" play live again because im sure each of them will have nice shows with their own bands, and i dont think ozma will ever be able to play any better shows than the last ones i got to see.

hipsun

Quote from: I No Longer Like Ozma But I Still Think They Are A Good Band on February 05, 2009, 03:40:41 pm
All i am requesting is one more album, i dont care if i never get to see "ozma" play live again because im sure each of them will have nice shows with their own bands, and i dont think ozma will ever be able to play any better shows than the last ones i got to see.

if you take the best songs off all things must pass, plastic ono band, sentimental journey, and mccartney you have one kick ass last beatles record.

I Like Ozma

tom

Just give me 'All Things Must Pass,' from any member of Ozma and i'd be stoked.

pygmy twylyte

i pretty much agree with what not jason said.  the band cant do what they did in 1995 again.  things change.  im just glad i got to see them during the pasadena era.  i did see them open in for weezer in 02 but thats a bit of a blur in the memory at this point.

i hope theres some activity again.  if ozma did some final shows in california i may have to book a cross-country flight to be there.

I Like Ozma

as much as i LOOOOOOOVE seeing ozma live i would still much rather if they just released a 5 track ep or something.

Indoor Fireworks

Quote from: I Like Ozma on April 03, 2009, 08:05:18 am
as much as i LOOOOOOOVE seeing ozma live i would still much rather if they just released a 5 track ep or something.

Hopefully, "Kid Icarus" would be on it. I'm still dying for a studio version of that song.
You have balls. I like balls.

pygmy twylyte

meh.  id prefer a show.  its more about the experience.  and a more defined goodbye.  instead of taking 5 songs youd get to witness more favorites.

Oatmeal

Quote from: Indoor Fireworks on April 05, 2009, 11:07:08 am

Hopefully, "Kid Icarus" would be on it. I'm still dying for a studio version of that song.

Me too. i love what i hear from the live version.

There I got the same message across but I used a sentence, please don't delete this moderators

I find this offensive.  You don't think have it in them to release a good quality 12 track album?  FUCK THIS SHIT.

gregor

A final something.  Whether it be a last album, or one last grand show where they play for 3 hours.  The worst part is not knowing...but then again, if they broke up forever, I think people might leave the board (unfortuantly, I'm case and point).  I came back to the boards because I'm going to The Crabs show....and I missed the board, you people are funny.

Where do I find "Kid Icarus" at?
i love you guys