April 16, 2024, 05:41:04 am

News:

Sometimes it burns when I pee....

"Mourning Song" by Daniel Brummel

Started by Not Jason, December 27, 2004, 09:41:03 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Not Jason

December 27, 2004, 09:41:03 am Last Edit: December 27, 2004, 09:43:06 am by Not Jason
i just noticed this posted on his MySpace account.Ã,  so if you haven't heard it yet, give it a listen:Ã,  http://www.myspace.com/danielbrummel

i think i like it better than all the other new songs i've heard.Ã,  i still don't know as though i'm too crazy about the style... i just can't bring myself to get that excited about one-guitar folk music... but i do like the song.Ã,  I'm not so hot on the crazy tempo slowdowns, but i like them better than a slow song like "mr. brown" with almost no chalenging aspects.Ã,  so, anyone else got opinions?Ã, 
You and I were the extremities
I am the baseball.

Bob511

This was my favorite one out of the new songs he played on that WHFR.org show, so I was glad to see it make the MySpace page.  Very nice rhythm and imagery to the lyrics.  Now if only the download link worked...

Stripped-down folk is not my bag either, it leaves me with very little to easily latch on to, and so I'm glad when somewhat more (at least, since that all I can go on, superficially) involved tracks like "Sao Paulo" show up, but even in the straight-forward stuff Daniel's voice, melodic inclinations, and obvious enthusiasm for the form make it vastly more appealing to me than the lionshare of the genre itself.

funwithsponges

Quote from: Not Jason on December 27, 2004, 09:41:03 am
i just can't bring myself to get that excited about one-guitar folk music

QuoteI'm not so hot on the crazy tempo slowdowns

Weezey

I like this song alot. Good chord progression that I expect to hear from Dan, which has seemed to be missing from most of these Speak Easy songs.

I'm kinda sick of Dan's politics though.

Not Jason

Quote from: Weezey on December 28, 2004, 07:39:39 am
I'm kinda sick of Dan's politics though.

i was sort of feeling similarly when i realized what the lyrics were saying.  i guess it's his right and i respect his passion, but as an apathetic american citizen, i don't really care.  also, what is all that "bet your future on a song" crap about?  it sounds good, yes, but i'm not sure how well it works when you're trying to drive home a political point... a little too hippyish for me.

but i'm not really a lyrics person anyway, so i can let it slide in light of the fact that i really like the melodies and guitar work in this.  i'm on a slow computer so the percussion in the background sounds pretty muddled to me, can anyone speculate what that is (some sequenced electronic thing or some acousticly generated noise)?  there's way too much muddyness for me to make it out.  but i love the way it sounds.
I am the baseball.

Potentially Tim

Yeah, these lyrics in particular are making me uneasy. I wish I could ignore it, but I can't help but sigh when I hear "towers" and "fall" in the same song.

Still love how this guy writes his melodies, though.

cesarsalad

Bob511

Quote from: cesarsalad on December 29, 2004, 11:20:59 am
we need more ozma-like songs
On most days I'd put the Ocean Floor Demos and Sound Mind  up with even The Russian Coldfusion EP without hesitation.
Good stuff is good stuff, "Ozma-like" or not, and "we need" music that's cared about much more than forced stuff to placate a fanbase.

Not Jason

yeah, i don't want him to make more ozma stuff, still, i'd lying if i said i was really that excited about most of the new stuff he's been making. 

i as well am a monstro fan, and i was really psched about that project, it may be similar stylistically to what he's doing now, but i don't think he's managing to live up to the quality precident he set with that project.  but obviously, i've only heard 5 of the songs as he intends on releasing them.  i've only strongly disliked two out of the 5, and of those other three, i really enjoyed one and thought the other showed a lot of promise as well.  so, it's quite possible that he could suprise me with future tracks.
I am the baseball.

DougieZero

December 29, 2004, 04:54:22 pm #9 Last Edit: December 29, 2004, 05:28:27 pm by DougieZero
It's alright... I consider myself pretty liberal, but those lyrics are pretty weak...

"there's a man who knew the towers would of fall"... that's like a really bad livejournal post by someone who got interested into politics.
"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members."

Not Jason

i kind of worry about how those kind of lyrics would be recieved by actual new yorkers... i have no idea, i've never been there.  and i intend this seperate from all criticisms of the lyrics.  just something that occured to me to consider.
I am the baseball.

///

I just want to hear more sao palo -esque songs on his future releases...

I don't care if it intentionally sounds like sondre lerche, I think that was his best so far...

el alex

Quote from: justin on December 29, 2004, 05:20:33 pm
I just want to hear more sao palo -esque songs on his future releases...

I don't care if it intentionally sounds like sondre lerche, I think that was his best so far...

yea, if the rest of the stuff in more in the vien of sao palo that would be great.

I don't this bluegrassy stuff, and I do kinda wish for a more ozma thing... but that would in the form of a band for him. I've come to know DB as playing stuff radically (well, sometimes) different from ozma, and I like that.
If he were going to go back to the power-pop (which I don't expect) he shouldn't do it solo form... and if so adopt a moniker like ben gibbard did DCFC... although he did do the contraband... I actually don't much about that, because i never heard sound mind, just network to care.
i'll get around to this... now
my spaceage
http://www.alexpages.wronger.com

Not Jason

i respect daniel imensely.  i don't always like everything he does, but i tend to respect it regardless in at least intent.  this is no exception.  i don't think it's his best work, but i do think he's capable of Samuel me like he always has, and this most recent song, though not lyrically precisely, proves that he can still write with the best of them.

i don't predict dan returning to rock music any time soon, but god wouldn't i love it if he did, and threw together a good band underneith him.  but... that's just a dream.
I am the baseball.

OMGWTFBBQ

I think Dan has actually said his plans were to put out this record, then ultimately put together a new band... to 'reclaim the rock throne from which he descended', or something like that.

Not Jason

Quote from: OMGWTFBBQ on December 29, 2004, 09:45:14 pm
I think Dan has actually said his plans were to put out this record, then ultimately put together a new band... to 'reclaim the rock throne from which he descended', or something like that.

god that would rule.  doesn't even have to be ROCK so much, just something with more layering and some good old electric guitars.
I am the baseball.

Ianny

As an actual New Yorker who heard the song performed live in Brooklyn a few months back at his acoustic show, people took it quite well.  There were plenty of cheers, and the guys I was with found it more "Whoa" than anything.  No qualms here.
~Ozma is now back.  Do a dance!  :D

To hear more from this strange man, go to the journal.
I also have two podcasts, one updated weekly, and one updated whenever I find the time.  The weekly one is Comic Timing and is found here.The other is "The Geekspeak Report" which is found here.