April 18, 2024, 01:03:23 am

News:

If you can read this, Samuel is still a ph@gg0t

New Commuter Music...

Started by ///, January 06, 2005, 11:02:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

///

sammo

January 07, 2005, 08:07:35 am #1 Last Edit: January 07, 2005, 08:16:41 am by sammo
HOLY SHIT

I'm so excited.  This rules.

I also see that they added drum to the songs, even on the pre-existing "Duet No 2 Running Late"

OMGWTFBBQ

finally, a release to be excited about.

el alex

dude, wtf.

this is awesome, but were these really recorded recently by the two?
i'll get around to this... now
my spaceage
http://www.alexpages.wronger.com

brad

Quote from: el alex on January 07, 2005, 09:09:10 pm
dude, wtf.

this is awesome, but were these really recorded recently by the two?

it is hard to believe these were recently recorded with slegr in pasadena and brummel in nyc.  nevertheless, a full album to be released by years end is great news

Ianny

Is it possible the two got together for a session while Dan was in California for the holidays?  Just a thought.
~Ozma is now back.  Do a dance!  :D

To hear more from this strange man, go to the journal.
I also have two podcasts, one updated weekly, and one updated whenever I find the time.  The weekly one is Comic Timing and is found here.The other is "The Geekspeak Report" which is found here.

The Other Jon

They could be each doing individual parts and then bringing them together, Postal Service style.

Andy

the new duet no. 2 is awesome

and does this mean dan and ryen are at good terms with each other?
cause for some reason it always seemed like it was otherwise

brad

Quote from: Ianny on January 08, 2005, 11:04:46 pm
Is it possible the two got together for a session while Dan was in California for the holidays?Ã,  Just a thought.

dan was in ny on dec 29th (i saw him in concert), so i dont really know how long he was in cali, if he was even there

Ianny

Quote from: brad on January 09, 2005, 01:48:04 pm
Quote from: Ianny on January 08, 2005, 11:04:46 pm
Is it possible the two got together for a session while Dan was in California for the holidays?  Just a thought.

dan was in ny on dec 29th (i saw him in concert), so i dont really know how long he was in cali, if he was even there

He was in California recently though.  Must have been before the holidays then.
~Ozma is now back.  Do a dance!  :D

To hear more from this strange man, go to the journal.
I also have two podcasts, one updated weekly, and one updated whenever I find the time.  The weekly one is Comic Timing and is found here.The other is "The Geekspeak Report" which is found here.

Radionesiac

back up, don't they hate each other?

Not Jason

long distance colaborations are easily possible these days.  look at postal service or hell, TRUCKATRON! for that matter.  especially with something like this, it wouldn't at all be hard for such things to be made from oposite ends of the country.
You and I were the extremities
I am the baseball.

nick

wow, i hope this is the real thing.  i forgot how good commuter music was. 

and am i the only one "motorology" won't work for?  it wants to download as an html, not an mp3.

Not Jason

Quote from: nick on January 14, 2005, 11:24:37 am
wow, i hope this is the real thing.Ã,  i forgot how good commuter music was.Ã, 

and am i the only one "motorology" won't work for?Ã,  it wants to download as an html, not an mp3.

i couldn't make it work either.
You and I were the extremities
I am the baseball.

FireAarro

TRUCKATRON!

Very sexy. I am so buying that album.
Unterreiner is tall and surprisingly thin, given that the floor of his closet is stacked high with junk food. Boxes and bags of Doritos, Twinkies and Ho-Hos spill out onto the floor. He has towels around his window to keep out the cold air at night. "I hate this old house," he said bitterly, then changed the name of an unfinished track to "Cold Day."

CHILLER

could someone possibly link me to an archive of older Commuter Music, or torrent it all for me?... I just found Commuter Music, love it, and want more.

machatte

The majority of the "commuter music" "songs" were originally untitled and completed before or around the time of RRP3.  The "discovery" of the method is somewhat unclear but I remember both of us messing around with the casio in 1998 or 9 when we were recording demos with Jason Cropper (demos that Jason mysteriously lost).  For the record, I have to say I prefer the tracks in their original form without the percussive embellishment that Dan likes to put in after-the-fact.  Furthermore, on a technical note, "First Fugue" listed on the "commuter music" myspace page is not commuter music because it was not improvised on the casio CT-700 - although I haven't talked to Dan about the strict definition of the term.  It would make sense to me that the only thing that makes "commuter music" special or different is that it's all improvised and on a particular keyboard.  The process of improvising at a very slow tempo and then increasing the tempo to hear the improvisation at high speed is the other unique element that must be included in the process. 
The initial use of "commuter" was a way to glean melodies from our uninhibited improvisational sessions on the casio and, more importantly, something that we both had a lot of FUN doing.  I suggest everyone find equally quirky and interesting ways of making new music as a way of enjoying life and having fun.  As with all things that are exciting at first - the initial enthusiasm and carefree approach which lead to great discovery eventually lessens, giving way to a familiarity which dulls the senses and interferes with the creative process.  This is why I have not made an improvisation on the old 700 for quite some time but instead trying to find new ways that are unknown to me.
The chorus from "Domino Effect" was the first occurrence of the use of one of the improvisations when Daniel noticed a particularly interesting melody in a "commuter" I had and made a few adjustments to the end of it to make it work with the other sections he had. Within the same short piece you can also find the prechorus to "wake up".  I believe the only other examples of "commuter music" used in ozma songs is on the latest record in "Motorology" which is made up of the verse from one of my improvisations and the chorus from one of Dan's.  I'll post the complete listing of original "commuter music" recordings for download if you want.  Are the originals all available anywhere?

lit

- jmurda

CT-700

Wow thanks for the great info Ryen, I would love to hear the originals.

Oatmeal

Quote from: CT-700 on August 06, 2007, 08:03:38 pm
Wow thanks for the great info Ryen, I would love to hear the originals.
Same here. I had some at one time. I dont know what happend to them.
Quote from: antiuser on December 09, 2007, 11:35:30 am
There aren't many bands out there that treat their fans like Ozma does.
http://oatmealmp3blog.blogspot.com/

Rosie

This myspace link doesn't work anymore.

Rome

September 11, 2007, 11:45:58 am #22 Last Edit: September 11, 2007, 11:48:39 am by Rome
Are you fucking Samuel?

edit**  >:( :D