April 30, 2024, 09:49:53 pm

News:

Don't smoke m3th!

consider it a post-tour tantrum made audible

Started by machatte, July 24, 2007, 04:40:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

machatte

Hello - some of the recordings I've been doing lately are too long to post on myspace - I have been forced to create a friendly link which will enable you to download all six segments of recorded material (totaling roughly forty minutes in length) recorded this last week July 18 - 23.
click on the red words and zip along to the Isle of Oughtonimis Speculashin. 

The Other Mike

blackjack1084 (11:02:36 PM): eat my ass
blackjack1084 (11:02:38 PM): and get a life

www.myspace.com/therattlesnakes

k24

I Like Ozma

ryen, i am sorry to say this to you, because you are my favorite member of ozma and i usually LOVE every song that i have ever heard from you, but these arent songs, they are just sounds put together, and i know i am going to get criticized for writing this to you but these things just suck. or maybe its just that i dont get them, because at some points they catch my interest but then they just go back to being boring sounds again. sorry.
Quote from: Elliott on December 09, 2006, 03:02:12 pm
Good point, too bad theyre gonna criticize you now.

The Other Mike

jvstin

July 25, 2007, 03:40:21 pm #5 Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 03:41:38 pm by Bob Loblaw
Quote from: I Like Ozma on July 25, 2007, 02:55:53 pm
ryen, i am sorry to say this to you, because you are my favorite member of ozma and i usually LOVE every song that i have ever heard from you, but these arent songs, they are just sounds put together, and i know i am going to get criticized for writing this to you but these things just suck. or maybe its just that i dont get them, because at some points they catch my interest but then they just go back to being boring sounds again. sorry.
yeah. that's it.

"in the immortal words of Thomas G. Warrior: ughhhhh!!"

hipsun

This shit sucks. I can only wrap my head around 300 year old traditional harmony. Stop trying to push this 20th century bullshit on me. Charles Ives? Milton Babbitt? Krzysztof Penderecki? George Crumb? Steve Reich? I'd rather hang myself than hear this non-1-4-5-1 noise.

In my opinion Ryens best work was written when he was 15. He's totally gone off the deep end with this new stuff. Where's the chorus bitch?

Zombie Don Ho

Quote from: hipsun on July 25, 2007, 04:20:03 pm
This shit sucks. I can only wrap my head around 300 year old traditional harmony. Stop trying to push this 20th century bullshit on me. Charles Ives? Milton Babbitt? Krzysztof Penderecki? George Crumb? Steve Reich? I'd rather hang myself than hear this non-1-4-5-1 noise.

In my opinion Ryens best work was written when he was 15. He's totally gone off the deep end with this new stuff. Where's the chorus bitch?

oh noes! doyle-burned!

antiuser

It actually reminds me of slightly older stuff... Tod Dockstader, Pierre Schaeffer... even Messiaen. I quite like it. And if I may say so, sort of reminded me of the crazy shit I do myself.

The Other Mike

I finally gave it a full listen and I really dig it.  Great for putting on when you're going to bed.

I Like Ozma

July 25, 2007, 06:35:38 pm #10 Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 06:41:47 pm by I Like Ozma
Quote from: The Other Mike on July 25, 2007, 06:27:47 pm
I finally gave it a full listen and I really dig it.  Great for putting on when you're going to bed.

that doesnt make any sense...

"i just tasted food for the first time and i love the only thing i have eaten. the best food is pizza though."

The Other Mike

July 25, 2007, 06:42:23 pm #11 Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 07:00:35 pm by The Other Mike
Well, I've listened to music while going to bed before, so I have some idea of what type of music I would like to listen to during that time. 

edit: extra comment removed.  That was unnecessarily mean.

machatte

Quote from: antiuser on July 25, 2007, 06:23:44 pm

It actually reminds me of slightly older stuff... Tod Dockstader, Pierre Schaeffer... even Messiaen. I quite like it. And if I may say so, sort of reminded me of the crazy shit I do myself.
I haven't listened through all the songs yet but I'm really liking what I hear so far.  I also like the art work.

Alex

Wow..  I know it sounds kind of bad, but I'm pretty surprised to find that I like this.  Not normally something that would hold my interest at all, but I'm drawn in..  I think mostly I'm just amazed thinking about how you made all of this.  It's beyond my comprehension, that's for sure.  Very cool though, man.
We can blast way inside

Brent

this stuff is really cool.  some of those sounds you got are absolutely crazy, especially in "helicopter island".  "immenspeed" had a totaly Reich vibe to it aswell.  i dug that track a lot.

while i don't know a whole lot about experimental noise music culture, i hear the hip thing to do is release everything on tape casettes for their unique fidelity in very limited runs of only a few copies (sometimes even as low as 3 or 4).  i guess the idea is that the people who get copies will pass on, trade or make additional copies for other people.  from what my brother has told me, its a very small community and he is constantly trading tapes with people from all over the world.

he has a noise project called "atlas" and runs his own tape distribution label called "elite tapes".  you can check out some of the stuff he has released here: www.myspace.com/elitetapes.  also, ryen, if you are interested, he could probably help you release and distribute your stuff.  he has a bunch of connections in australia and europe where this kind of stuff gets a lot more attention and respect.  i mean with this stuff, you could be a god in Denmark.

take care,
-Brent

I Like Ozma

Quote from: The Other Mike on July 25, 2007, 06:42:23 pm
Well, I've listened to music while going to bed before, so I have some idea of what type of music I would like to listen to during that time. 

edit: extra comment removed.  That was unnecessarily mean.

much appreciated. i guess my comment was likewise uncalled for. my sincere apologies.

lit

- jmurda

FireAarro

Quote from: Brent on July 26, 2007, 05:38:47 am
this stuff is really cool.  some of those sounds you got are absolutely crazy, especially in "helicopter island".  "immenspeed" had a totaly Reich vibe to it aswell.  i dug that track a lot.

while i don't know a whole lot about experimental noise music culture, i hear the hip thing to do is release everything on tape casettes for their unique fidelity in very limited runs of only a few copies (sometimes even as low as 3 or 4).  i guess the idea is that the people who get copies will pass on, trade or make additional copies for other people.  from what my brother has told me, its a very small community and he is constantly trading tapes with people from all over the world.

he has a noise project called "atlas" and runs his own tape distribution label called "elite tapes".  you can check out some of the stuff he has released here: www.myspace.com/elitetapes.  also, ryen, if you are interested, he could probably help you release and distribute your stuff.  he has a bunch of connections in australia and europe where this kind of stuff gets a lot more attention and respect.  i mean with this stuff, you could be a god in Denmark.

take care,
-Brent

I didn't know there was that much of a noise scene in Australia. Tell me about it? Where can I find it maybe?  ;D
Unterreiner is tall and surprisingly thin, given that the floor of his closet is stacked high with junk food. Boxes and bags of Doritos, Twinkies and Ho-Hos spill out onto the floor. He has towels around his window to keep out the cold air at night. "I hate this old house," he said bitterly, then changed the name of an unfinished track to "Cold Day."

Brent

Quote from: FireAarro on August 08, 2007, 11:08:29 pm
Quote from: Brent on July 26, 2007, 05:38:47 am

take care,
-Brent

I didn't know there was that much of a noise scene in Australia. Tell me about it? Where can I find it maybe?  ;D

I can't really elaborate unfortunately.  I don't know about the whole noise scene myself.  I just know that my brother is constantly selling and trading tapes to Australia, which are apparently doing quite well over there.

ozmadic

Potentially Tim

Quote from: machatte on July 24, 2007, 04:40:37 pm
Hello - some of the recordings I've been doing lately are too long to post on myspace - I have been forced to create a friendly link which will enable you to download all six segments of recorded material (totaling roughly forty minutes in length) recorded this last week July 18 - 23.
click on the red words and zip along to the Isle of Oughtonimis Speculashin. 

Okay... Honestly, I downloaded this like a month ago and after reading all the replies I was discouraged to even listen... It seems I made a mistake.

I finally listened and I think it's outstanding, and I'm not just saying that because I know you and want to kiss your ass.  The sense of production is incredible and each song seems very solid.  I love Helicopter Island even for all 12 minutes.  I can't say I'd want to listen to it, like, as I would music (in the car, or relaxing around the house).  But for certain things I think it would work wonderful.

As for "certain things" I'm referring to something to accompany it visually, like video.  Probably one of the reasons I like it is because I make "art videos" and do similar music.  Hearing your stuff makes me excited to do another project.  Your stuff would be so perfect accompanied with abstract video images.  I have a problem avoiding melodies when I make this kinda stuff, but I love that yours is essentially just noise and sounds, but I'd still call it "music" suitable for certain purposes instead of simply "noise and sounds."  I also admire how long they are.  I have a hard time getting anything longer than 4 or 5 minutes, but again, I tend to be heavy on actual note progression and melodies.

If you or anyone is interested, my album from one of my first "art" projects like this is available here:
The 2010 Space Collection.
I can't really say it works without the visuals because I'm so used to seeing it WITH visuals, and the two were meant to go hand-in-hand.  But regardless, I kinda had to link you after hearing your stuff 'cause it got me eager to do more.  This set is from early 2005 and I've done a bunch more since then... my other stuff is more ambient and cacophonous, but I still haven't really been able to grasp exactly what you have going.

So, keep up the good work, Ryen!  And good luck!  I seriously think it has awesome potential as I've heard a lot of stuff similar to this, and not that I'm an expert or anything, but I think your stuff is really good.  ...It's just a very obscure medium/genre so it never gets a lot of praise/attention either way (unless you can actually get it presented into the art-world--and even then it's hard to hold people's attention)  Seriously though, I think pairing that music with some form of visual art would be outstanding and worth considering.  It's obviously not radio music, but I think it's damn solid.