April 29, 2024, 11:35:07 am

News:

When's the last time you said "I love you" to a friend!?

daniel = ozma ?????

Started by butterfly, September 13, 2006, 01:53:37 am

Previous topic - Next topic

butterfly

im not sure if i do share the same opinion with anyone, but the way i see it,
daniel = ozma just like how we see rivers = weezer.

i mean, the moment i hear daniel sang straight flush, i tell myself this is an ozma song, but when i hear ryen in barriers...i don't have that same effect in me.

but, that's just my opinion

yoshigaki

Indeed that is just your opinion.

WhoYouCallinWeez

yea thats mostly right. when i heard barriers i was laughing i disliked it so much, i love straight flush, but barriers is laughable. so i equate good ozma with daniel, anyways.

Not Jason

I think Ryen is far more essential to Ozma than you guys are realizing.  It's true that he's responsible for a few of my least favorite Ozma tracks, but if you go down through a list of the all time great songs, I think you'd be shocked by how many of them Ryen either wrote or cowrote.  Dan's contributions might be equal to or greater than Ryen's (I don't know this for a fact) but if you pull out Ryen, you loose a sensibility that is at the essence of Ozma's sound.  I might also wager that Ryen has a better sense for for vocal melodies than Dan does.  They've got their stregnths and weaknesses, but if you pull out Ryen, you get Dan solo, and that's not Ozma, at least not in my opinion.
You and I were the extremities
I am the baseball.

WhoYouCallinWeez

no i agree with that, and Ryen does wail on the geetar, but i dont like him at the forefront, but in collaboration with Dan, they do great things, agreed.

funwithsponges

Quote from: Not Jason on September 13, 2006, 08:14:46 am
It's true that he's responsible for a few of my least favorite Ozma tracks

Out of curiosity, which?

yoshigaki

CT-700

You know I never liked Bad Dogs but lately I've noticed its really a pretty rocking song. Lately its one of the ones I look foward to on Spending Time.

WhoYouCallinWeez

Rome

Quotedaniel = ozma just like how we see rivers = weezer.

Not even close.

Colt45

Quote from: Rome on September 13, 2006, 06:34:42 pm
Quotedaniel = ozma just like how we see rivers = weezer.

Not even close.

IAWTP
Senor Beavis! Donde Esta Tu Hall Pass?

savewhatyouare

i always thought ryen and dan are a lesser version of paul and john. They both have different styles, and when they are merged, they become something better than if they wrote the song outside of their duality.

Fantastic Max

I think Ryen is far more essential to Ozma than you guys are realizing.Ã,  It's true that he's responsible for a few of my least favorite Ozma tracks, but if you go down through a list of the all time great songs, I think you'd be shocked by how many of them Ryen either wrote or cowrote.Ã,  Dan's contributions might be equal to or greater than Ryen's (I don't know this for a fact) but if you pull out Ryen, you loose a sensibility that is at the essence of Ozma's sound.Ã,  I might also wager that Ryen has a better sense for for vocal melodies than Dan does.Ã,  They've got their stregnths and weaknesses, but if you pull out Ryen, you get Dan solo, and that's not Ozma, at least not in my opinion.
Exactly. Thank you.

Quote from: savewhatyouare on September 13, 2006, 08:40:53 pm
i always thought ryen and dan are a lesser version of paul and john. They both have different styles, and when they are merged, they become something better than if they wrote the song outside of their duality.
Haha, lesser in what sense? Tinier penises? Haha.

But yeah, I've always thought that too.
I've always viewed Dan as kind of the Lennon, the seemingly more artsy one.
And Ryen as more of the McCartney, always wanting to play, rock out, do the fun songs.

But together, I agree, they're a helluva lot more Samuel. Harmonies, switching-off's..whatever it might be. Callaboration is key.
"Cross my heart, hope to die, stick a pizza in my mouth."
-Donkey Lips

Not Jason

Quote from: funwithsponges on September 13, 2006, 04:50:38 pm
It's true that he's responsible for a few of my least favorite Ozma tracks

Out of curiosity, which?

"Bad Dogs" is the one that comes immediately to mind.  It's not that it's a bad song persay, but I was only ever lukewarm on it.  Off of spending time, I was also never a fan of "Your Name", also a ryen track.  In all fairness though, I fucking hate "Utsukushii Shibuya", which, though credited to both, seems kind of Dan heavy.

Good examples of Ryen doing well is his collaborative work with dan on "Gameover", which I'm under the impression he did the music from (based on dan's comments on the acoustic version from KUCI)

and yes, I'm currently looking at the liner notes of Spending Time.
I am the baseball.

butterfly

i agree with the fact that when they both put the work together, they make good music...
i mean, how often do you listen to an album and enjoyed every single tracks in it? As far as im concern, every track in every ozma album stands out but,

Speaking of good music, when i heard barriers, i dun think the new sound they're approaching could even beat HelloGoodbye.

Not Jason

I personally don't understand the Barriers bashing.  Like I said in the other thread, it feels like it's incomplete to me, and it's not perfect (yet), but there are some really awesome parts in that song.
I am the baseball.

Lando_Calrissian

Quote from: Not Jason on September 14, 2006, 12:41:30 am
I personally don't understand the Barriers bashing.Ã,  Like I said in the other thread, it feels like it's incomplete to me, and it's not perfect (yet), but there are some really awesome parts in that song.

It has some very good bits, but I find it dull on the whole. I can't see how it could be greatly improved, but then I'm not a talented musician.

Pro-active.

I like ozma

i think i can agree that dan can probably write better songs on his own, but missing either of them, ozma wouldnt be ozma

parker

I like Ryen's singing better than Dan's.

Not Jason

Quote from: Lando_Calrissian on September 14, 2006, 12:47:49 am
Quote from: Not Jason on September 14, 2006, 12:41:30 am
I personally don't understand the Barriers bashing.Ã,  Like I said in the other thread, it feels like it's incomplete to me, and it's not perfect (yet), but there are some really awesome parts in that song.

It has some very good bits, but I find it dull on the whole. I can't see how it could be greatly improved, but then I'm not a talented musician.

well, think of it this way:  why is it dull?  for me, it's dull because it doesn't really go anywhere, towards the end it's just a bunch of choruses strung together, and though it's a good chorus, that's always a formula for boring.  I think all they need to do is write some more parts too it, like a real bridge to really devide things up in the end, and it would be really good.
I am the baseball.

Fantastic Max

I almost wish they'd just wait awhile, and release a whole album before we can bash it, because I feel like we're gonna bash every 'demo' they put up, haha.
"Cross my heart, hope to die, stick a pizza in my mouth."
-Donkey Lips

Not Jason

Quote from: Fantastic Max on September 15, 2006, 12:47:36 am
I almost wish they'd just wait awhile, and release a whole album before we can bash it, because I feel like we're gonna bash every 'demo' they put up, haha.

Well, dan said they wanted to get stuff up so they don't lose momentum, and it makes sense.
I am the baseball.

I like ozma

i like that they are doing it one song at a time. and the songs are good, they just arent good OZMA songs

jvstin

Quote from: I like ozma. on September 15, 2006, 02:12:40 pm
i like that they are doing it one song at a time. and the songs are good, they just arent good OZMA songs
uhm... who are you to say something like that?
"in the immortal words of Thomas G. Warrior: ughhhhh!!"

I like ozma

jvstin

September 15, 2006, 04:08:29 pm #25 Last Edit: September 15, 2006, 04:53:06 pm by ^_^
Quote from: I like ozma. on September 15, 2006, 03:18:39 pm
an ozma fan
cunt's more like it

edit: i misread your post, but you're still a cunt. if you can admit that they're good songs, why not give ozma the credit they're due for writing good new (OZMA) songs? they're the ones who wrote them in the first place. there's a difference between (your definition of) 'good' and (the universal definition of) 'classic' ozma. i'm sure these new ones will become classics in their own right. that's how it was with "spending time" when it came out...Ã,  Ã, 
"in the immortal words of Thomas G. Warrior: ughhhhh!!"

gloom-glaam

Quote from: I like ozma. on September 14, 2006, 10:30:02 am
i think i can agree that dan can probably write better songs on his own, but missing either of them, ozma wouldnt be ozma
no

kellygo

I think Dan and Ryen are essential to OZMA. They create such a wonderful balance of greatness! I love most of Ryen's songs and most of Dan's songs. I saw Ryen play with The Rentals and he is an Samuel guitar player, not only on an OZMA track. I also enjoy Dan's solo album. They come together to create this great musical collaborative effort we know as OZMA.   

Kyosho

Samuel and I have discussed this many times. To me (and Sam), Ozma is Dan and Ryen together. The rest of the band can be left out (even Jose if we're really hard-pressed, sorry). That said, seperate they are both still awesome. So I don't quite agree with you there. Together, though, is like you said. The merging of styles. And I think that's what really makes Ozma great and unique.
I'll be rising high above the earth so soon, and the tears I cry might turn into the rain that gently falls upon your window. You'll never know.

CT-700

Quote from: Kyosho on September 16, 2006, 04:04:10 pm

Samuel and I have discussed this many times. To me (and Sam), Ozma is Dan and Ryen together. The rest of the band can be left out (even Jose if we're really hard-pressed, sorry). That said, seperate they are both still awesome. So I don't quite agree with you there. Together, though, is like you said. The merging of styles. And I think that's what really makes Ozma great and unique.

What, no love for the Immigration Song? Thats in my top 5 Ozma songs. Perhaps top 3.