May 15, 2024, 11:29:57 am

News:

Maxwell T: @AmishJoe wait are you Jason

POLL

Started by malcolm, March 20, 2007, 06:55:22 am

Previous topic - Next topic

does anyone here even like ozma anymore?

yes
no

malcolm

i tried to listen to rrp3 today and i couldn't
my tastes have changed radically. its odd that i still post in this forum considering i have nothing to add regarding the band, nor do i have any interest in the band or anything they may have planned for the future.
"A little while and I will be gone from among you, when I cannot tell. From nowhere we came, into nowhere we go. What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night. It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime. It is the little shadow which runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset." -- Crowfoot

tom

Makes me happy listening to Ozma. Happy that the band has grown so much. Happy that it reminds me of younger days when times were much simpler. It's kick ass music. There still isn't a band in the continental U.S. better than Ozma.

Quote from: tom on March 20, 2007, 10:04:03 am
There still isn't a band in the continental U.S. better than Ozma.

what about My Chemical Romance?

Rome

I'm really looking forward to the new album now.

The Other Mike

March 20, 2007, 11:55:49 am #4 Last Edit: March 20, 2007, 11:56:56 am by The Other Mike
yeah, I feel the same way. Someone saw me posting on this board and I tried to explain what it was and played them an ozma tune.  They didn't like it, and I really couldn't think of much of a convincing argument for it either. I still post here, though, because believe it or not I like most of you people even if you don't like me. I dig some of the discussions that go down and I've always been exposed to good music by at least a few people on the board.

edit: a couple of songs from the new record sound pretty cool though, and if ozma tours up here I'd gladly open for them.
blackjack1084 (11:02:36 PM): eat my ass
blackjack1084 (11:02:38 PM): and get a life

www.myspace.com/therattlesnakes

malcolm

Quote from: The Other Mike on March 20, 2007, 11:55:49 am
yeah, I feel the same way. Someone saw me posting on this board and I tried to explain what it was and played them an ozma tune.  They didn't like it, and I really couldn't think of much of a convincing argument for it either. I still post here, though, because believe it or not I like most of you people even if you don't like me. I dig some of the discussions that go down and I've always been exposed to good music by at least a few people on the board.

edit: a couple of songs from the new record sound pretty cool though, and if ozma tours up here I'd gladly open for them.

i like you! :D
i like a lot of people on this board actually, i wish everyone lived closer so we could all hang out and maybe i could smooch on a couple of the cute girlys here
"A little while and I will be gone from among you, when I cannot tell. From nowhere we came, into nowhere we go. What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night. It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime. It is the little shadow which runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset." -- Crowfoot

I Like Ozma

ozma is still the number one band that i listen to.
Quote from: Elliott on December 09, 2006, 03:02:12 pm
Good point, too bad theyre gonna criticize you now.

Farmyard Agency

Quote from: Samuel on March 20, 2007, 10:27:39 am

<3's etc.
Good proverbs.

I don't want the cheese, I just want to get out of the trap.
 Before you start up a ladder, count the rungs.
 Don't bargain for fish which are still in the water.
Kill not the goose that lays the golden egg.

Not Jason

I sort of overexposed myself to it, and then when they broke up, I finally gave myself a break.  Part of the reason I got so into Ozma, and I'd speculate this is true for other people to, is Ozma came out right about the exact time that Weezer started to suck.  I was obsessed with Weezer, and simply loosing a favorite band like that left me with an uncomfortable void in my life.  Ozma fit perfectly, especially with my priorities and tastes at the time.  A few times in the past couple of months I've listened to old Ozma records and I do find things about it to like.  I think that in terms of intelligent musicianship, they bring a lot to the table.  Unfortunately, it's not as complete an appreciation as it once was.  When I was younger, I related to it, and it hasn't necessarily aged with me.  Mostly it's just the lyrics.  When I was younger, they worked for me, but at this point, I really dislike a lot of them, and it unfortunately sours me to a lot of songs that I otherwise would still enjoy.  That's the main thing that I cross my fingers for in a future Ozma release:  better lyrics.  I can't blame them for all that too much, considering their age at the time most of that was written, but I think it's understandable that I, at 24, can not relate to the words of a high school kid forever.  I'll buy the new Ozma record, and I hope to enjoy it, but I am doubtful that it will be as important to me as the previous records were in their time.  I wouldn't mind being proven wrong, but I suspect that this record will be competing for my attention amongst some stiff competition that it might not be able to defeat.  And the reason is that the other records I'm hearing these days are really fresh and new to me in a way that Ozma isn't.  I still owe massive props to the powerpop bands I listened to in my late teens, and for that reason, Ozma will always be significant to me, but on a purely objective level, I guess I'm pretty much over the obsession.
You and I were the extremities
I am the baseball.

malcolm

QuoteNot Jason
Global Moderator
Officially Obsessed

O RLY?!

falyn

Ozma made great music. I like Ozma. I'm sick of it all, though.
stream my radio show on mondays 7-8 pm @ http://www.wvum.org

I Like Ozma

Quote from: falfal on March 21, 2007, 01:33:09 pm

wow I like Ozma too!
Quote from: Elliott on December 09, 2006, 03:02:12 pm
Good point, too bad theyre gonna criticize you now.

gloom-glaam

Potentially Tim

Quote from: falfal on March 21, 2007, 01:33:09 pm

ⓡⓞⓓⓝⓔⓨ

Scale up an atomic nucleus to a marble's size - it's electron is thus orbiting 3 miles away.
Meaning, the closer you look at yourself, the more you disappear.

Not Jason

I am the baseball.

amish

Good thread, but there's no reason this shouldn't be in Ozma Discussion.

Seb

I still listen to stuff from time to time, have been quite a bit recently, but I think that's because my interest was piqued by the revival of activity - and I am pretty psyched about the new album, especially as there are still a handful of Ozma songs that would still be well up in my favourite songs list, and No-One Needs To Know is up there among them. Oh, and because Matt Caws is on it. But in a few months time, I could well have just stopped listening again. I think they're a band who I'll always retain affection for, and who I'll go back and listen to every so often, because there's still a lot to enjoy.

Jason, I'm with you on the lyrics, though.
"Just tell me one thing - is this business, or is it personal? Because if it's business, then I'll go away happily. But if it's personal? I'll go away. But I won't be happy."

malcolm

Quote from: Joe on March 23, 2007, 03:34:25 am
Good thread, but there's no reason this shouldn't be in Ozma Discussion.

because if you had answered no, chances are you don't read general ozma discussion but whatever ::)

Kyosho

I'm in the group that loves Ozma, but can't really listen to the old stuff much anymore. I've heard it all way too many times. I really, really look forward to the new album.
I'll be rising high above the earth so soon, and the tears I cry might turn into the rain that gently falls upon your window. You'll never know.

nanaki

Quote from: Samuel on March 20, 2007, 10:27:39 am

Hahaho... oh, that was so bad it gave me cancer.

Not Jason

I'm listening to the Spending Time demos right now, and I feel no hesitation in saying that "D Song" and "Denise" are great songs.
I am the baseball.

funwithsponges

Quote from: Not Jason on March 23, 2007, 04:38:30 pm
I'm listening to the Spending Time demos right now, and I feel no hesitation in saying that "D Song" and "Denise" are great songs.

I really really really love Denise, and wish they had finally recorded that instead of re-recording other songs for the new album.

Am I wrong, or is that song older than Spending Time demos?  Seems like it's had a pretty long run of live plays (not like Eponine, but similar).

FireAarro

I pretty much agree with Jason completely.

Denise rocks. I love everything about that song.
Unterreiner is tall and surprisingly thin, given that the floor of his closet is stacked high with junk food. Boxes and bags of Doritos, Twinkies and Ho-Hos spill out onto the floor. He has towels around his window to keep out the cold air at night. "I hate this old house," he said bitterly, then changed the name of an unfinished track to "Cold Day."

tom

Quote from: funwithsponges on March 23, 2007, 04:41:28 pm
Quote from: Not Jason on March 23, 2007, 04:38:30 pm

I really really really love Denise, and wish they had finally recorded that instead of re-recording other songs for the new album.

Am I wrong, or is that song older than Spending Time demos?  Seems like it's had a pretty long run of live plays (not like Eponine, but similar).
Yeah, that has been floating around since DDD.

Seb

Yes, firmly in the "Denise is brilliant" camp, here. I don't think it would really have fitted in with STOTB, which is probably why they didn't do it, but I think it might have worked quite well with the new stuff, from what I've heard...
"Just tell me one thing - is this business, or is it personal? Because if it's business, then I'll go away happily. But if it's personal? I'll go away. But I won't be happy."

Not Jason

I don't know when they wrote it (though I think I remember hearing about it way back when), but "Denise" was originally recorded at some point around the time Kung Fu was rereleasing DDD.  The acoustic version of the song was posted on--I think it would have been MP3.com at this point, and it was also released as the bonus track on the import version of DDD, which I'm very happy I managed to find for that fact alone.  It was rerecorded in it's electric version for the Spending Time demos, some which were posted on purevolume.  That is the version I was listening to earlier.  "Denise" is a real stand out track for Ozma, and would probably have a hard time fitting with most of their other material.  The thing that I really like about that song is that it's lyrically pretty strong and it's probably the only Ozma song I can think of that's done in the story-telling style of song writing.  I'd like to see them do more stuff like this, because "Denise" is a fairly shining example of the style done well.  Also, the little instrumental interludes are wonderful.

Like I said, the old material, barring a few examples, has not necessarily aged well with me, but in spite of myself, I'm getting pretty excited to hear the new album.  Ever since they posted that video a while back with Star and Dan singing "Heartache..." and I found out that was an Ozma original, I've been very interested to hear more samples of the new songwriting.  Some things like "Barriers" seem like they may disappoint me in certain respects, but in terms of pure aesthetics and musicianship, this album does seem to be a positive step forward.  Again, I'm really crossing my fingers about the lyrics.  Given my sensibilities these days, they will ultimately determine the staying power of the whole product.
I am the baseball.

Fantastic Max

Quote from: malcolm on March 20, 2007, 12:19:46 pm
i like a lot of people on this board actually, i wish everyone lived closer so we could all hang out and maybe i could smooch on a couple of the cute girlys here

creepE
"Cross my heart, hope to die, stick a pizza in my mouth."
-Donkey Lips

tom

Like I said in my first post in this thread, I'm happy to hear the band growing, and maturing as musicians.

Indoor Fireworks

I'm on tom's side. Not because I'm blindly following a band like some fans do, but because they always have been great musicians. Sure, some of their early stuff might not withstand the test of time, but they were young and so was I. Part of the reason why I liked them so much is because the music they made was far more brilliant than anything I could have made at that age. But what pleases me most about their music is that they haven't said, "Okay, we've found the formula. We're going to stick with this because it works." They are constantly growing as individual musicians and as a band.

I'm confident that their new songs are going to turn my asshole inside out. I can't wait.
You have balls. I like balls.