May 16, 2024, 05:07:58 am

News:

Sometimes it burns when I pee....

Ozma opening for Blue October, Yellowcard, Shiny Toy Guns

Started by Jeff42, June 19, 2007, 09:08:44 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff42

I found this story today: http://top40-charts.com/news.php?nid=33443

QuoteNEW YORK, NY. (Top40 Charts/ Universal Motown Records) - Universal Motown Records recording artists Blue October have announced their Sorry Boy Burns Bright fall tour and the release of a premium edition of the platinum-plus modern rock masterpiece Foiled, entitled, Foiled For The Last Time, which hits stores and the digital domain on September 25th.

Alt-rock favorites Yellowcard and Universal Motown's Shiny Toy Guns will share the stage with Blue October from the first date to last, making it a true fall music event. Tickets for this must-see concert go on-sale to the general public for all shows on June 22-23. However, exclusive Pre-sale tickets for a few of the shows were made available via each of the three band's websites on June 9. The highly anticipated trek kicks off on September 20, in Atlanta, GA, (see below) and is currently scheduled to run through mid-November, and includes shows in Philadelphia, Dallas, Orlando and New York City. Ozma will open up for the first leg through October 6 (Detroit, MI), with Lovedrug joining the bill in St. Charles, MO on October 9, and throughout the rest of the tour.

So the Ozma dates are:
Quote9/20 - Masquerade Music Park - Atlanta, GA
9/21 - House of Blues - Myrtle Beach, SC
9/22 - DAR Constitution Hall - Washington, DC
9/23 - Ntelos Wireless Pavilion - Portsmouth, VA
9/26 - Nokia Times Square - New York, NY
9/28 - The Electric Factory - Philadelphia, PA
10/1 - Starland Ballroom - Sayerville, NJ
10/5 - Lifestyle Communities Pavilion - Columbus, OH
10/6 - Royal Oak Music Theater - Detroit, MI

This seems like kind of an odd tour for Ozma to be on.  Blue October play mainstream radio rock and are not a band I would have any interest in seeing.  I looked up the Columbus date and tickets are $35.  :-\ Shiny Toy Guns sound pretty good, though...

Джесси

While it may seem odd, I'm sure Ozma is playing on this tour when they do as a means to get their music to the radio crowd.
ТолÃ'Å'ко гÃ'â,¬Ã'Ð´Ã'Æ'Ã'‰ÐµÐµ - облаÃ'Ã'‚Ã'Å' поÃ'Ã'‚а.

Jeff42

Certainly, I'm sure the hope is that this will increase their exposure and bring new fans, and I too hope that it works.  It's just not the best deal for those of us who are already Ozma fans.  I'm not complaining, though, because I get to see them twice on the headlining tour.

Джесси

Definately. I was able to see them twice on the headlining tour as well  ;D

I won't get to see them at these shows, which is probably a good thing for me (financial wise). If they were doing it in Texas I would likely pay the $35  :-\
ТолÃ'Å'ко гÃ'â,¬Ã'Ð´Ã'Æ'Ã'‰ÐµÐµ - облаÃ'Ã'‚Ã'Å' поÃ'Ã'‚а.

funwithsponges

What a weird ass group of bands.  But yeah, good for Ozma.  Hope they hit it off with the other bands and fans.

k24

Kyosho

I personally think it's awesome. More exposure, etc. Hm. This might give me an excuse to see Yellowcard live. I've never been a huge fan, but I've heard they're awesome live. And my sister is a big Blue October fan. Maybe she'd like to go. Maybe she can drive. Her car would likely survive the trip to Columbus, while mine... not so much. Piece of shit car.

Wait a minute. Hey, Jeff42, you're planning on driving down, right? Probably on 71? Any chance you wouldn't mind a hitchhiker?  :D I could meet you somewhere that's on your way, say Medina, and ditch my car somewhere where it won't get ticketed. Or something. Eh, it's extremely early to be thinking about it, but I thought I'd throw that out there.
I'll be rising high above the earth so soon, and the tears I cry might turn into the rain that gently falls upon your window. You'll never know.

theworkersaregoinghome

I have mixed emotions on this, but they have to do what they need to to get out there, as stated above.  Good for them.  Maybe they can headline in '08 and Weezer can open.

xlalaliex

Quote from: Zoso1971 on June 19, 2007, 10:34:16 am
Definately. I was able to see them twice on the headlining tour as well  ;D

I won't get to see them at these shows, which is probably a good thing for me (financial wise). If they were doing it in Texas I would likely pay the $35  :-\

yeah i so wish they were coming here on that tour, but i bet only like 10 people would know who they were ^_^

ozma would totally be worth paying $35 for... even with blue october, bleh  :P

L

I want to see the NJ and Philly shows on this tour.

I Like Ozma

i want to see them headline again soon. i need my fix.
Quote from: Elliott on December 09, 2006, 03:02:12 pm
Good point, too bad theyre gonna criticize you now.

k24

i dont think $35 is too killer to spend on this show.
i've paid $40 to see them open for weezer.
i've paid $40 to see them play the warped tour, and then leave after their set, making a 7 hour round trip drive to see them play for a half hour.
so $35 might not be bad to see them play.
plus if they're playing the masquerade, it's a small club so it'll be a good view anywhere.

mozman68

Damn...I'll be seeing this one.  Didn't want to bring my wife to The Shelter last night to see them, but she'll dig seeing Blue October and Shiny Toy Guns as well.  Three totally different bands, but I wouldn't walk out on any of them.

Jeff42

I just found out the Columbus show has been changed to October 3... because the ARCADE FIRE are playing there October 5. :happydance:

pygmy twylyte

July 16, 2007, 11:53:14 am #14 Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 11:58:55 am by pygmy twylyte
damn, 35 dollars, kind of steep.  but i suppose it would be fun to make the trek to myrtle beach, maybe spend some time there before or after the show, then get the hell out of there.

the house of blues is a pretty cool venue.  the ozma crowd in the front row during their performance will probably be humorous.  im sure the band will get a bang out of it.

I Like Ozma

i bet ozma wont play more than 8 songs, i wouldnt go.

machatte

Alex

That sucks man..  At least you guys will get some exposure to some people who may not have been lucky enough to discover you yet.  I'm sure there will be plenty of people there that will be left hungry for more Ozma.  :)

I'm trying to imagine what a 20 minute Ozma set would consist of..  Way too many good songs to just narrow it down to five or six.  Oh well, I won't get a chance to find out anyway..  But if Ozma came to Vegas to headline, that's a different story..   

:P  Yes, I'm still on that.  Pleeeeeease??
We can blast way inside

elle emm

August 26, 2007, 09:57:27 am #18 Last Edit: August 26, 2007, 10:00:09 am by two sizzle-es
i think i'm going to see the nyc show.
i know that a lot of people dislike blue october, but as a native houstonian, they hold a special place in my heart and their music before the "foiled" album (and that awful "hate me" song) is pretty great. i may be biased because they were one of the bands of my highschool years, but if you look back further than their recent stuff, you'll find some great songs.

the combination is pretty hilarious to me though, because ozma and blue october were THE bands i listened to throughout high school!
i'm really excited!

edit: also, blue october's "breakfast after 10" is the only song i know how to play on guitar :)
quel rat!

ooohbecka

hah. it was cool. i went to one in richmond..(did i already say this?) i started a mosh pit in blue october with some cool people who were rolling face that i met. yellowcard sucks live is all i have to say, otherthan that, so good.

brad

i remember hearing this song on the radio pretty often and absolutely hating it.  the singers voice with the harmonies over it made me physically ill.  it was awful awful disgusting terrible music, but i never knew who the band was. 

about a month passed, then i heard ozma was opening for blue october and i thought, "who's blue october?"  i gave it a listen and wa-laah its the same fucking god awful band.

seriously, how do you like blue october?  its the worst shit i've ever heard in my life.  makes you want to kill yourself.

I Like Ozma

CT-700

I kind of like their song "Into the Ocean". But its just because it reminds me of a certain week in March when I heard it for the first time, and that certain week was really fun. So I like soley for the nostalgic purposes.