April 16, 2024, 10:10:23 am

News:

Maxwell T: @AmishJoe wait are you Jason

"say it ain't so" live

Started by Oatmeal, July 06, 2009, 05:26:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Oatmeal

Quote from: antiuser on December 09, 2007, 11:35:30 am
There aren't many bands out there that treat their fans like Ozma does.
http://oatmealmp3blog.blogspot.com/

brad

holy cow!  thanks -- thats awesome, post more if possible

Oatmeal

Yeah. I did not expect to find this. Hopefully that guy will post more from that show. :)

Not Jason

Oh man, that's OLD.  Pre-RRP3.  Thanks for the link Oatmeal!
You and I were the extremities
I am the baseball.

I Like Ozma

Its good to see ryen looks exactly the same - minus a head of hair.
Quote from: Elliott on December 09, 2006, 03:02:12 pm
Good point, too bad theyre gonna criticize you now.

Not Jason

The thing that makes it weird for me is seeing all that old gear.  Dan's old P-bass, Jose's old strat.  It's weird to think that back when I was way into Ozma, this would have already been ancient.  At this point it's prehistoric.
I am the baseball.

noonchild

There's something very odd about this video...
The light cast dark shadows all around me

jvstin

July 08, 2009, 08:13:42 pm #7 Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 08:16:24 pm by ROGUE DEMON HUNTER (justin)
love it. db isn't in the band yet. neither is star (?). and ryen wasn't quite a monster guitarist yet... unless he was super drunk.

[edit] or is that db with black hair!? weiiird. come to think of it, that looks like star. maybe i shouldn't post. ever.
"in the immortal words of Thomas G. Warrior: ughhhhh!!"

noonchild

Quote from: ROGUE DEMON HUNTER (justin) on July 08, 2009, 08:13:42 pm
love it. db isn't in the band yet. neither is star (?). and ryen wasn't quite a monster guitarist yet... unless he was super drunk.

[edit] or is that db with black hair!? weiiird. come to think of it, that looks like star. maybe i shouldn't post. ever.

These were the questions and concerns I had myself. 
The light cast dark shadows all around me

brad

I Like Ozma

yeah thats db, his hair is just dyed black or something. its hard to say about star tho, i dont think thats her but maybe...

ozmadoodle

Having seen all their keyboadists, it is definitely not Katherine K (original), nor Mary Guilliams (sub).  That girl in the video is the one and only, Starling Wick.  That's her hair style when she first joined Ozma.

I Like Ozma

Why is it definately not Katherine?

ozmadoodle

Katherine's hair is medium length and kept it same style unlike Star who changed style and color constantly.

Not Jason

I can assure you that both of them were in the band in 1999.  Dan was in the band for the first demo tapes, which were 1996 at the latest.  In this video, he is playing his old tape-decorated P-Bass, codenamed the Delorean.  Star would have been fairly new at this point, but I think she was integrated in like late 98ish?  You can tell it's her because she is sporting what I still think of as the classic Star look.  It is beyond weird to me that there are Ozma fans who only think of her with black hair and fashionable clothes.  It's weird to me in general that there are fans of Ozma who weren't around in like 2000-2003.  I don't mean to pull some kind of elitist bullshit about it, but to me, Ozma is so inseparably tied to that era, that I can't even imagine what it would have been like to find out about them later.  It's true that the music is all still the same as it was, but you definitely missed out on an urgency and enthusiasm that was present during that time.  Man, I'm fucking old.
I am the baseball.

Oatmeal

July 09, 2009, 08:23:54 pm #15 Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 08:29:10 am by oatmeal
Yeah she looks fairly similar in the double donkey disk CD booklet and the guk/weezer tour picture

jvstin

Quote from: Not Jason on July 09, 2009, 07:59:33 pm

I can assure you that both of them were in the band in 1999.  Dan was in the band for the first demo tapes, which were 1996 at the latest.  In this video, he is playing his old tape-decorated P-Bass, codenamed the Delorean.  Star would have been fairly new at this point, but I think she was integrated in like late 98ish?  You can tell it's her because she is sporting what I still think of as the classic Star look.  It is beyond weird to me that there are Ozma fans who only think of her with black hair and fashionable clothes.  It's weird to me in general that there are fans of Ozma who weren't around in like 2000-2003.  I don't mean to pull some kind of elitist bullshit about it, but to me, Ozma is so inseparably tied to that era, that I can't even imagine what it would have been like to find out about them later.  It's true that the music is all still the same as it was, but you definitely missed out on an urgency and enthusiasm that was present during that time.  Man, I'm fucking old.
i got into them around 2002-2003. joined the OOF in 2003.
"in the immortal words of Thomas G. Warrior: ughhhhh!!"

brad

Quote from: ROGUE DEMON HUNTER (justin) on July 10, 2009, 01:24:39 am

i got into them around 2002-2003. joined the OOF in 2003.

I Like Ozma

I remember i just barely heard of them when Spending time was coming out

Oatmeal

Quote from: ROGUE DEMON HUNTER (justin) on July 10, 2009, 01:24:39 am

i got into them around 2002-2003. joined the OFF in 2005.

FortyTwo

July 11, 2009, 12:26:30 pm #20 Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 12:32:11 pm by FortyTwo
I feel the same way about pretty much everything you said there...

EDIT:  Hah signed on for the first time in years, guess I never used this account much... 6 posts. Glad to see I have a -1 karma, wonder what that was....
"It's popular to hate emo, 'cause it sucks."  - Daniel Brummel

cesarsalad

October 03, 2009, 11:39:45 am #21 Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 11:41:15 am by cesarsalad
my first ozma show was in either 2001 or 2002. my favorite show of them was when we carpooled to san diego from LA to see them play at UCSD. i remember the setlist being awesome. sadly i think this was the day of the space shuttle crash (or the day after), so when they did landing of yuri gagarin there was a dedication, or something. i wish we could search ozma shows by date, does anyone have such a list?

there was definitely a lot of excitement in the air. i liked that my favorite band could play in these intimate shows and i could be right up front, but i'd rather them have hit it big. there's a lot of nostalgia when i think back to those days, and how i'd get more and more friends to come with me to ozma shows...