April 30, 2024, 12:24:49 am

News:

Maxwell T: @AmishJoe wait are you Jason

old school ozma fan back in the loop and very confused...

Started by elliot smith, March 01, 2005, 05:20:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

elliot smith

Hey gang, I was formally known as last-kid-picked on the ozma board and have lost all computer contact for the last year and a half.  I come back to the information super-highway and find out that Ozma had broken up.  Can anyone point me in the direction of previous posts on this subject or just give me the cliff notes version on what happened.  I'm very bummed about this but hey, thats the fate of rare greatness.  Come to think of it this very same thing happened to me when Sunny Day Real Estate broke up.  Man... ???

amish

Original posts are deleted. Ozma stopped hosting their own forum. Their own website went down. Little to no contact.

Someone better then me should answer this.

Not Jason

the only real information about why the breakup happened comes in the form of rumors or things said in haste by people who shouldn't have spoken at all.  i refuse to give the pricise details of what i learned from them, but in short, there was a moment where a lot of stress added up in a certain way and the band decided to call it quits and persue other things.  here are some of my personal theories of things that probably influenced the decision:

- they had been a band for like 8 years, forming when all the members were at a young age.  it's reasonable to believe that certain members had drifted in their own directions since then, and it was getting more and more unconfortable for them all to compromise on one sound.  this is visable in both the eclectic style of their last album, and in the various side projects formed out of ozma's ashes (www.myspace.com/gonewiththeghosts www.myspace.com/danielbrummel www.yesdearmusic.com)

- they're deal with kung fu records had ran out, neither the label nor the band seemed too keen on renewing that particular contract, which of course left them without a label and with a slightly shakey future.

- being in a band is stressful.  i know star is doing a real person job now, and it's reasonable to suspect that possibly she enjoys the security that gives her.  dan, jose, and ryen has stayed active in the music scene, so this probably doesn't apply to them... i don't know what the hell pat's up to these days.
You and I were the extremities
I am the baseball.

amish

Quote from: Not Jason on March 01, 2005, 07:25:48 pm
the only real information about why the breakup happened comes in the form of rumors or things said in haste by people who shouldn't have spoken at all. i refuse to give the pricise details of what i learned from them, but in short, there was a moment where a lot of stress added up in a certain way and the band decided to call it quits and persue other things. here are some of my personal theories of things that probably influenced the decision:

- they had been a band for like 8 years, forming when all the members were at a young age. it's reasonable to believe that certain members had drifted in their own directions since then, and it was getting more and more unconfortable for them all to compromise on one sound. this is visable in both the eclectic style of their last album, and in the various side projects formed out of ozma's ashes (www.myspace.com/gonewiththeghosts www.myspace.com/danielbrummel www.yesdearmusic.com)

- they're deal with kung fu records had ran out, neither the label nor the band seemed too keen on renewing that particular contract, which of course left them without a label and with a slightly shakey future.

- being in a band is stressful. i know star is doing a real person job now, and it's reasonable to suspect that possibly she enjoys the security that gives her. dan, jose, and ryen has stayed active in the music scene, so this probably doesn't apply to them... i don't know what the hell pat's up to these days.
http://www.ozmafans.com/forum/index.php/topic,657.0.html (smokers thread)

The Other Mike

Ryen's Myspace page said he and Pat were helping to record some band... I assume that's Ozma Pat.
blackjack1084 (11:02:36 PM): eat my ass
blackjack1084 (11:02:38 PM): and get a life

www.myspace.com/therattlesnakes

elliot smith

If said speculations are true, well thats just really unfortunate for the fans yet understandable for the members.  That also happens when you start to grow out of the adolescent era, life happens and people drift apart.  I definatly look forward to side projects that become available.  Does anyone have any quality recordings of such projects?  I'd definatly be curious to take a listen.

kitten

dude, no offense, but read the threads here.  there are plenty that discuss the new projects of the band members.

Not Jason

Quote from: elliot smith on March 02, 2005, 01:52:57 pm
Does anyone have any quality recordings of such projects?Ã,  I'd definatly be curious to take a listen.

dude, i gave you three links in my above post.
You and I were the extremities
I am the baseball.

elliot smith

Yes Dear sounds pretty good but a little of the generic side.  Daniel Brummel's solo stuff has some brilliant song composition and Gone With Ghosts is really great.  It sounds like Brummel's style has matured.  Suprisingly satisfied.

lisa marie

Quote from: amish on March 02, 2005, 04:18:08 am
Quote from: Not Jason on March 01, 2005, 07:25:48 pm
the only real information about why the breakup happened comes in the form of rumors or things said in haste by people who shouldn't have spoken at all. i refuse to give the pricise details of what i learned from them, but in short, there was a moment where a lot of stress added up in a certain way and the band decided to call it quits and persue other things. here are some of my personal theories of things that probably influenced the decision:

- they had been a band for like 8 years, forming when all the members were at a young age. it's reasonable to believe that certain members had drifted in their own directions since then, and it was getting more and more unconfortable for them all to compromise on one sound. this is visable in both the eclectic style of their last album, and in the various side projects formed out of ozma's ashes (www.myspace.com/gonewiththeghosts www.myspace.com/danielbrummel www.yesdearmusic.com)

- being in a band is stressful. i know star is doing a real person job now, and it's reasonable to suspect that possibly she enjoys the security that gives her. dan, jose, and ryen has stayed active in the music scene, so this probably doesn't apply to them... i don't know what the hell pat's up to these days.
http://www.ozmafans.com/forum/index.php/topic,657.0.html (smokers thread)
hehehehe.
when i saw them i july the first thing i thought was that Pat was so awesome.
drumming with a cigarette in his mouth the entire show.
it was hilarious and badass at the same time.
8)