April 29, 2024, 09:17:41 pm

News:

If you can read this, Samuel is still a ph@gg0t

Bootleg of the "Month" - June

Started by Not Jason, June 02, 2005, 06:15:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Not Jason

June 02, 2005, 06:15:55 pm Last Edit: June 13, 2005, 10:55:09 pm by Not Jason
Okay, this bootleg has run it's course.  I'll have another up by the end of the night.

Sorry for the wait.

This is another one we can thank Bob511 for.  Not only is it one of the best bootlegs in my opinion, but as far as I know, it's the last ever Ozma show that was bootlegged in it's entirety.  Anyway, here it is:

05-21-2004
Mr. T's Bowl, Highland Park

01 - Your Name
02 - Spending Time
03 - Shooting Stars
04 - Utsukushii Shibuya
05 - Bad Dogs
06 - Come Home Andrea
07 - You Know the Story & The Landing of Yuri Gagarin
08 - Wake Up
09 - Battlescars
10 - Eponine

To make up for the huge delay, and in the interrest of getting as much Ozma to you guys as possible, I plan on changing this show before the month is up, possibly in 2 weeks.  So download quickly.  I welcome suggestions as to what I should put up next.  I'm thinking about a Daniel Brummel acoustic show, would there be a demand for that?

Okay, enjoy.  If any of these links don't work or there are any problems, let me know.  AIM: tisnotjason
You and I were the extremities
I am the baseball.

Bob511

sadmachine

There would be demand for a Dan acoustic set from me. But it would be a polite sort of demand.

dragonal

Thanks for the songs. The sound quality of this recording is very good, it almost sounds like its from a soundboard.  :) 

By the way, who sings the female part to "Wake Up" at this concert? Just wondering....  8)

Not Jason

Quote from: dragonal on June 03, 2005, 11:05:37 am
Thanks for the songs. The sound quality of this recording is very good, it almost sounds like its from a soundboard.Ã,  :)Ã, 

By the way, who sings the female part to "Wake Up" at this concert? Just wondering....Ã,  8)

at this show, i'm relatively sure that would have been star.
I am the baseball.

jvstin

thank you!!!! very very very clean sounding bootleg. awesome.
"in the immortal words of Thomas G. Warrior: ughhhhh!!"

Not Jason

Quote from: minorthreat on June 03, 2005, 05:12:51 pm
thank you!!!! very very very clean sounding bootleg. awesome.

yes, and the mix that night was perfect.  You can hear everything.  Also, the performance quality was good.  It's probably my favorite "Battlescars" recording.
I am the baseball.

beefunger

thanks for the bootleg, it's really awesome.  and my vote goes to the daniel brummel acoustic set too  :)

brad

Ianny

I would certainly dig a DB acoustic show.  Just keep this one up long enough for me to get back home and download it!  ;)
~Ozma is now back.  Do a dance!  :D

To hear more from this strange man, go to the journal.
I also have two podcasts, one updated weekly, and one updated whenever I find the time.  The weekly one is Comic Timing and is found here.The other is "The Geekspeak Report" which is found here.

lisa marie

June 05, 2005, 11:07:44 am #10 Last Edit: June 05, 2005, 04:15:06 pm by lisa marie
 :july232004:

this makes me miss them so much.
oy! i want to see them live again!!!!!
thanks so much jason.

EDIT: thank you bob511!!!
yay!

Not Jason

Again, thank Bob.  He did a great job of recording it.
I am the baseball.

crushedhat

These bootlegs are making me kick myself even more for only seeing Ozma live once. The Dan/Ryen trade-off screaming at the end of Battlescars is intense, and they added a little mini jam-out part at 2:50! Orgasmic!

jvstin

Quote from: crushedhat on June 05, 2005, 09:12:31 pm
These bootlegs are making me kick myself even more for only seeing Ozma live once. The Dan/Ryen trade-off screaming at the end of Battlescars is intense, and they added a little mini jam-out part at 2:50! Orgasmic!
yeah i love that. made the hairs on the back of my neck stand when i first heard it...and it was freaking Samuel seeing/hearing it live.

i prefer the last bootleg's "mini jam-out after first chorus" for battlescars though. even though the sound quality for that one isn't as good.

Not Jason

Yeah, first time I heard the rock out after the first chorus live I had four simultanious orgasms.  Oh, and I may have died a few times too.  Point is, it's awesome and I love it.
I am the baseball.

icecreamman

God, I just can't stand that thing they add in at 2:52ish....  Why don't they stick exactly true to the RECORDINGS!!  ;)

jvstin

Quote from: icecreamman on June 06, 2005, 10:36:33 am
God, I just can't stand that thing they add in at 2:52ish....Ã,  Why don't they stick exactly true to the RECORDINGS!!Ã,  ;)
WHAT WHAT WHAT????!?!?

nick

are there any good bootlegs of superstar?  i may have one somewhere, but i feel like i don't.  it would be kinda appropriate to post one, seeing as how they were playing that only about a year ago.

Not Jason

Quote from: nick on June 07, 2005, 09:24:46 am
are there any good bootlegs of superstar?Ã,  i may have one somewhere, but i feel like i don't.Ã,  it would be kinda appropriate to post one, seeing as how they were playing that only about a year ago.

yeah, there is a pretty good bootleg of superstar from a DC show.  featuring dan and everything.
I am the baseball.

cesarsalad

How is this bootleg's sound quality so good? What type of recording equipment did he use and where was the bootlegger?

:o @ ozma.

Bob511

Quote from: cesarsalad on June 07, 2005, 11:20:39 pm
How is this bootleg's sound quality so good? What type of recording equipment did he use and where was the bootlegger?
Really, this isn't a question I can answer, and probably just the best demonstration I can make that venue variables that are nearly impossible to predict or control have a much bigger impact on my meager rig than I would prefer. :-\

Not Jason

well, if a mix is bad the bootleg will sound like shit regardless of how great your equipment is.  Things like record level and clipping you can control though, and you seem to have done so expertly on this one (be that by luck or genuine skill, you can clarify if you'd like).  Do you stand near the soundboard for bootlegs?  cause typically, that's suposedly where the mix sounds the best.
I am the baseball.

Bob511

Quote from: Not Jason on June 07, 2005, 11:37:21 pm
well, if a mix is bad the bootleg will sound like shit regardless of how great your equipment is. Things like record level and clipping you can control though, and you seem to have done so expertly on this one (be that by luck or genuine skill, you can clarify if you'd like).
That's the thing, though, I generally can't control recording levels with my rig; I didn't have the extra forty or fifty bucks for the adjustable level control and bass rolloff options on my battery box when I bought my setup.  Sure, I can adjust the level on my Archos, but if clipping's going to happen it'll already have happened by then; it's unfortunately up to the levels of the venue most times, and indie rock venues tend to be on the loud and bassy side.

QuoteDo you stand near the soundboard for bootlegs? cause typically, that's suposedly where the mix sounds the best.
No straight answer to that, it varies from show to show.  I mean, I'm not primarily attending shows to build up a collection of pristine bootlegs, I'm there to have fun and enjoy a show, which thanks to my generally reserved nature doesn't usually get in the way of decent recording but doesn't always involve me standing way in the back by the soundguy just to be safe.

In this particular case, especially due to the fact that it was going to likely be the last Ozma show I'd see for a while (which of course turned into "ever" that summer....) and the fact that Sarah and I had travelled a few hundred miles to make the show, I believe I kept myself pretty up-front (a few bodies back just because even at 5'11 I'm taller than the average Ozma and thus try to avoid being directly up-front) and centered, and didn't sweat the recording too much.  Thankfully the stars alligned and so forth; it was a nice mix for recording, I guess.

Signumark

Quote from: Bob511 on June 07, 2005, 11:54:57 pm
...at 5'11 I'm taller than the average...

Ahh.  Now I just have to figure out the 'Bob' part.

Nice bootleg by the way.  It sounds great.
Ess-to-the-Eye-to-the-Jee-Enn-Ewey-to-the-Emm-to-the-Ay-to-the-Arr-Kay...Phooey

Not Jason

Quote from: Signumark on June 08, 2005, 01:10:13 pm
Quote from: Bob511 on June 07, 2005, 11:54:57 pm
...at 5'11 I'm taller than the average...

Ahh.Ã,  Now I just have to figure out the 'Bob' part.

It's in reference to his favorite Outkast song.
I am the baseball.

Bob511

Quote from: Signumark on June 08, 2005, 01:10:13 pmAhh.
Coincidence really, been using this handle longer than that final growth push.....

Ianny

This bootleg is the closest thing to a perfect recording we have gotten of a live show.  Made me miss their lvie shows even more, ebcause I coan almost feel myself being in the crowd as I listen to this.

Thanks for putting this one up amish.  And thanks to Bob for recording it. 

And yeah, that guitar snippet at 2:50 during "Battlecars" was perfect.
~Ozma is now back.  Do a dance!  :D

To hear more from this strange man, go to the journal.
I also have two podcasts, one updated weekly, and one updated whenever I find the time.  The weekly one is Comic Timing and is found here.The other is "The Geekspeak Report" which is found here.

Not Jason

okay everyone, i'm thinking of taking this show down and putting a new one up within the next few days.  I put no guarentee on my punctuality, however, if you have been waiting to download this, now would be ideal.
I am the baseball.