April 30, 2024, 06:19:01 am

News:

If you can read this, Samuel is still a ph@gg0t

DDD: Concept album? (0zma n00b!)

Started by ~IYQ, June 28, 2005, 12:42:16 am

Previous topic - Next topic

~IYQ

June 28, 2005, 12:42:16 am Last Edit: June 28, 2005, 12:43:45 am by ~IYQ
ignoring the fact I've been constantly going to Ozma forums for just about every day for 3 years now...

I could've sworn that I remember someone saying there was a big concept of some sort behind it (or them) in a thread a few years ago. then again, my memory blows, so I could be a bit off on this one. I've honestly never spent the time in these years to really bother inspecting it myself (I'm still not a big DDD fan) (and I'm kinda lazy) (and legally retarded). well, now I'm being told it's just a soviet tribute.

an Ozmaxpert would be appreciated on this matter.

The Other Mike

well, the first half (or "EP") is all russian inspired music.  It also includes a melody that was written by Yuri Gagarin (I think) that is one of the reoccuring themes on that half.
blackjack1084 (11:02:36 PM): eat my ass
blackjack1084 (11:02:38 PM): and get a life

www.myspace.com/therattlesnakes

angie

Quote from: The Other Mike on June 28, 2005, 05:14:34 am
well, the first half (or "EP") is all russian inspired music.Ã,  It also includes a melody that was written by Yuri Gagarin (I think) that is one of the reoccuring themes on that half.
whoa
never heard that one before
that'd be pretty cool

then there was the whole booty thing on the second half that didn't really turn out as dan wanted

Not Jason

Quote from: angie on June 28, 2005, 08:47:05 pm
well, the first half (or "EP") is all russian inspired music.Ã,  It also includes a melody that was written by Yuri Gagarin (I think) that is one of the reoccuring themes on that half.
whoa

that'd be pretty cool

then there was the whole booty thing on the second half that didn't really turn out as dan wanted

huh?  really?

anyway, here goes:

tracks one through five:  vaguely russian themed music.  tracks one and five obviously are just different takes on the same song, and the core melody to them is repeated in the bridge of korobeiniki, which besides being the tetris theme is a blatantly russian traditional tune.  I believe it the core melody of the Yuri tracks was written by Yuri.  I remember seeing a quote with "somebody should write a song with this melody" or something to that extent from him.  No One Needs to Know is pretty russian themed in it's music, but there isn't really much to connect "You Know the Story" beyond it's obvious tie ins to "Landing...".

tracks one through five were originally meant to showcase the talents of each member of the band.  Ryen, Jose, and Dan wrote their songs, and the songs associated with Star and Pat I guess only really had their little moments of virtuosity from them respectively.  The initial idea was for every member to write a song, but Star and Pat don't write songs I guess, or didn't at the time at least.

And then there is the overall concept of it being a double EP, which is sort of absurd in it's own right.
You and I were the extremities
I am the baseball.

JamesTheObscure

It was meant to incite a communist revolution.

///

Quote from: angie on June 28, 2005, 08:47:05 pm
whoa
that'd be pretty cool

the original idea for the bootytraps was for every member to write a song, yeah that didn't work...

and about the yuri gagarin thing, I don't think so...I mean, I've never heard of that

The Other Mike

Quote from: justin on July 05, 2005, 05:08:28 pm

and about the yuri gagarin thing, I don't think so...I mean, I've never heard of that

well, I guess that makes you right!

phh.
blackjack1084 (11:02:36 PM): eat my ass
blackjack1084 (11:02:38 PM): and get a life

www.myspace.com/therattlesnakes

cesarsalad

that is a traditional russian melody, it was not written by yuri gagarin