April 30, 2024, 12:55:29 pm

News:

Sometimes it burns when I pee....

Rentals cover album.....

Started by VanSlegr Fan, June 05, 2007, 10:03:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

VanSlegr Fan

just saw this over at the Rentals board.....

"Copeland is excited to announce we have been asked to contribute a song to an upcoming tribute to the RENTALS (other participating acts: Tegan and Sara, Ash, Morningwood, Motion City Soundtrack, The Yeah Yeah Yeah's, Ozma, and more to be announced)! This should be out sometime in October! We will be putting our spin on the Rentals song ââ,¬Å"Getting Byââ,¬Â." That is all the info we could find, but it should still be pretty Samuel.
In other news, that same friend saw Copeland last night, and the lead singer told him that they will be joining the Rentals on the road this summer. Again, that is all I know of the subject. Any more news, I will most definitely let it be known to all.

if this is indeed true, id hope the cover Ozma does is California, they nailed it on the tour.
Ryen Slegr and Daniel Brummel could eat a can of Alphabet Soup and poopoo out better lyrics than Rivers Cuomo

I save my best for last and after that don't even ask me - Beck

FireAarro

Unterreiner is tall and surprisingly thin, given that the floor of his closet is stacked high with junk food. Boxes and bags of Doritos, Twinkies and Ho-Hos spill out onto the floor. He has towels around his window to keep out the cold air at night. "I hate this old house," he said bitterly, then changed the name of an unfinished track to "Cold Day."

antiuser

I wonder what track Ozma will be doing...

CT-700

June 06, 2007, 05:53:11 am #3 Last Edit: June 06, 2007, 05:54:15 am by CT-700
Quote from: antiuser on June 06, 2007, 12:42:14 am

I wonder what track Ozma will be doing...

Hopefully one off of ROTR for two reasons:

1) Heavy synth action is a must (yeah Star!)

2) Female vocals are a must (yeah Star!!)

returnofdisco

the love I'm searching for = best rental's song, they should totally do yo
but most of all I fear you'd see, parts of me buried for centuries

Oatmeal

June 06, 2007, 08:06:08 am #5 Last Edit: June 06, 2007, 08:07:41 am by oatmeal
Quote from: FireAarro on June 06, 2007, 12:35:47 am
:happydance:

Quote from: returnofdisco on June 06, 2007, 07:44:00 am
the love I'm searching for = best rental's song, they should totally do yo
Quote from: antiuser on December 09, 2007, 11:35:30 am
There aren't many bands out there that treat their fans like Ozma does.
http://oatmealmp3blog.blogspot.com/

VanSlegr Fan

June 06, 2007, 08:33:07 am #6 Last Edit: June 06, 2007, 08:35:27 am by HammerTap
so many possibilities, they could do a slow rentals song and synth the hell out of it, since its a covers album. do there own unique ozma style with the song.

i wonder if this will include any of matt's solo stuff, which is an Samuel album i cant stop listenin to. i think Dan could do a great i wonder style cover of anything off matt's solo, but im sure it wont include that.

oh, and if yall didnt know, a new Rentals EP "last little life" [3 new songs, and a new version of Sweetness and Tenderness] comes out Aug 14thish or something, and there touring again. yay.
Ryen Slegr and Daniel Brummel could eat a can of Alphabet Soup and poopoo out better lyrics than Rivers Cuomo

Fantastic Max

"Cross my heart, hope to die, stick a pizza in my mouth."
-Donkey Lips

Oatmeal

I forgot that the yeah yeah yeahs already have an cover(an acoustic one) of the Rentals song "the love I'm searching for". So ozma probally wont do that song as a cover.

Джесси

June 06, 2007, 02:11:53 pm #9 Last Edit: June 07, 2007, 10:47:30 pm by Zoso1971
I have a strong hunch that "California" is going to be the song they're covering. Nothing more than that though  ;)

EDIT: Note the  ;)
ТолÃ'Å'ко гÃ'â,¬Ã'Ð´Ã'Æ'Ã'‰ÐµÐµ - облаÃ'Ã'‚Ã'Å' поÃ'Ã'‚а.

VanSlegr Fan

June 06, 2007, 05:54:24 pm #10 Last Edit: June 06, 2007, 06:39:55 pm by HammerTap
QuoteI have a strong hunch that "California" is going to be the song they're covering. Nothing more than that though

yea, i hope it will be too. hope they up the synth on it. im way to excited in general about the album,especially Ash's track, w/e it will be. i dont usually do cover albums, im sick of the majority of the radiohead section of my fav used cd store being cover albums and not singles. but i LOVED the pixies cover album,not sure how many there are but where is my mind? is the one i own. woohoo.

Brady

I'm really hoping they do something off of Seven More Minutes -
beautiful female harmonies on that album and enough synth for Star to rock out.

I'm hoping they do "Keep Sleeping".

VanSlegr Fan

see here's the thing, i DONT want them to do a straight forward note-for-note cover, i want them to take a song and make it "ozma" yknow? i dont wanna hear a carbon copy of a Rentals song. im not getting onto you, i just want it to be MORE than a Rentals cover.......whatever song they may pick.....

Sandguy

i have faith in daniel's arranging. every cover he does is Samuel (see "will the circle be unbroken?" or "devotion"). so to see what all five of them can do will be completely awe-inspiring and will do matt sharp (and co.) justice.

Oatmeal

Quote from: Brady on June 06, 2007, 05:54:35 pm
I'm really hoping they do something off of Seven More Minutes -
beautiful female harmonies on that album and enough synth for Star to rock out.

I'm hoping they do "Keep Sleeping".
I would like "Keep Sleeping" also.

Kyosho

I too am hoping they "Ozma-ize" a song and not just do a carbon copy. Dan's covers are always awesome though (that KUCI show where he did almost entirely covers is a huge favorite of mine).
I'll be rising high above the earth so soon, and the tears I cry might turn into the rain that gently falls upon your window. You'll never know.

VanSlegr Fan

yea i forgot about that show, that is really good. and id ALMOST say i prefer DB&CB's cover of Devotion to the actual b-side.

TinTin

FireAarro

Quote from: HammerTap on June 06, 2007, 08:33:07 am
so many possibilities, they could do a slow rentals song and synth the hell out of it, since its a covers album. do there own unique ozma style with the song.

I always thought of Rentals as more of a "Synth like fuck" band than Ozma actually. But yeah, I'm sure Ozma will Ozma it out somehow.
Unterreiner is tall and surprisingly thin, given that the floor of his closet is stacked high with junk food. Boxes and bags of Doritos, Twinkies and Ho-Hos spill out onto the floor. He has towels around his window to keep out the cold air at night. "I hate this old house," he said bitterly, then changed the name of an unfinished track to "Cold Day."

Oatmeal

Quote from: TinTin on June 06, 2007, 10:49:11 pm
Yeah it's California
It may not be so. They played california but they did not sing california. A song that they decided good to play with the rentals at a concert might be diffrent than a song that they would play by themselves in the studio. California might have been a more last minute desicon. They did not play it when I was there.

VanSlegr Fan

QuoteThey did not play it when I was there.

aw man i am sorry! i flipped out hard when they played it. like 2 ppl in front of me got the coolness factor of it, but the ppl i brought just smiled and nodded when i was like THATS A RENTALS B-SIDEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!, that was only matched by the coolness of Rentals doing "we have a technical" and more importantly when Rachel sang "IJTOTLOMD". WOWWWWWWWWWWW i loved that show. big time. can u tell?

TinTin

Quote from: oatmeal on June 07, 2007, 05:58:57 am
Quote from: TinTin on June 06, 2007, 10:49:11 pm
Yeah it's California
It may not be so. They played california but they did not sing california. A song that they decided good to play with the rentals at a concert might be diffrent than a song that they would play by themselves in the studio. California might have been a more last minute desicon. They did not play it when I was there.

Yeah, I'm not guessing... it's not a hunch.  It's something I know, and have heard.  It sounds great.  You'll like it.

LMRS

Quote from: TinTin on June 07, 2007, 09:13:41 pm
It's something I ... have heard.  It sounds great.  You'll like it.

thanks  ;)

VanSlegr Fan

QuoteDan's covers are always awesome though (that KUCI show where he did almost entirely covers is a huge favorite of mine).

i have the 2000.08.25 show on KUCI, i also have some misc. songs from 11.22.2000, karma police and always something there to remind me being 2 of them. does anyone have the 11.22 show in its entirety?

Джесси

I've heard it as well, and I agree. I'm sure everyone here will enjoy it  :)
ТолÃ'Å'ко гÃ'â,¬Ã'Ð´Ã'Æ'Ã'‰ÐµÐµ - облаÃ'Ã'‚Ã'Å' поÃ'Ã'‚а.

I Like Ozma

please let that be you or waiting hopefully.
Quote from: Elliott on December 09, 2006, 03:02:12 pm
Good point, too bad theyre gonna criticize you now.

Not Jason

Quote from: oatmeal on June 06, 2007, 01:15:04 pm
I forgot that the yeah yeah yeahs already have an cover(an acoustic one) of the Rentals song "the love I'm searching for".

they do?
You and I were the extremities
I am the baseball.

Oatmeal

June 12, 2007, 03:46:16 pm #27 Last Edit: June 12, 2007, 03:48:06 pm by oatmeal
yeah they do from an aol sessions/interface thing. If its still availible it should be free.

I got it on aim if you want it.

butterfly

speaking about the rentals...its like taking forever for them to release their new album huh

CT-700

I know, didn't they start like 3 or 4 months before Ozma even got into the studio?