April 19, 2024, 09:25:08 am

News:

Maxwell T: @AmishJoe wait are you Jason

Ozma declined a tour with Weezer

Started by ohjonas, April 19, 2009, 10:10:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ohjonas

I was talking to Karl Koch of Weezer-fame the other day in a chat and he said that he approached Ozma about opening for Weezer during the fall/winter 2008 tour Weezer recently finished, but Ozma declined.  Just wanted to share that...and I was anxious to make my first post!

hipsun

April 19, 2009, 11:09:47 pm #1 Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 11:12:24 pm by hipsun
first i've heard of this. i'm going to venture a very educated guess and say this supposed offer never officially happened. perhaps it did in a passing conversation, but never any real discussion. i wish it did. oh well.

Not Jason

And to be fair, they accepted twice.
You and I were the extremities
I am the baseball.

CT-700

Plus, a tour of that magnitude is a lot to ask of a band that is just trying to relax for awhile.

Supposing that this actually went down, and Ozma was up for it, it probably would have been a grand way to start back up after the downtime. Again though, it would have been a pretty large commitment.

jvstin

April 20, 2009, 03:01:47 pm #4 Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 03:03:59 pm by bobloblawminorthreatjustin^_^
plus, we'd have to pay a hefty amount (not that i wouldn't be willing!) along with dealing with a LAME-ASS crowd. 

but yeah, they need(ed) a break. and they've got other music stuff they want to do.
"in the immortal words of Thomas G. Warrior: ughhhhh!!"

sometimesrock

it's true. I was in the chat. I saw him say it.
I don't believe in pants. I just believe in me.

hipsun

ozma turned down a tour with radiohead. it's true. i just said it.

brad

With all due respect hipsun, I know these posters from albumsix.com.  They are trustworthy.

hipsun

Quote from: brad on April 21, 2009, 08:58:52 am
With all due respect hipsun, I know these posters from albumsix.com.  They are trustworthy.

i don't think anyone is lying. i believe karl said it, i just find it hard to believe that it actually happened since at least 40% of ozma know nothing about it.

it would be interesting to find out who weezer or weezer management approached about the tour.

brad

Is Jose counted in that 40%?  I would think he would be one of the most likely asked due to his involvement with Weezer (MTV hootenanny video)/Rivers (Can't Stop Partying video).

ohjonas

Quote from: hipsun on April 21, 2009, 07:09:28 am
ozma turned down a tour with radiohead. it's true. i just said it.
I'm not talking bullshit.  Karl Koch is very affiliated with Weezer and he comes onto the weezer board to talk pretty often.  Sometimesirock and I mentioned Ozma to him and he said that he asked Ozma if they were interested in a tour with Weezer.  They said nay.  He also said that he did not want a tour with AVA...no one did.

Quote from: brad on April 21, 2009, 10:17:55 am
Is Jose counted in that 40%?  I would think he would be one of the most likely asked due to his involvement with Weezer (MTV hootenanny video)/Rivers (Can't Stop Partying video).
Oh yeah I forgot about that.  It's clear Ozma still has ties to Rivers so I'd say the offer was at least proposed.

hipsun

i am/was a huge weezer fan since um... 1994. i know who karl is.

i know ozma, and i have a very clear recollections of conversations with more than one member of the band wondering if weezer might ask them to play some red album shows with them. i remember when there was an open call to booking agents for bands to tour with weezer. "serious inquiries only". to call them out of the blue and ask for a tour hook up seemed kinda wanky, so no one called. they would have done it had they been asked.

and if you havent already, go download the new baby champ record at www.hipsun.com (hi i like ozma!)

I Like Ozma

Quote from: Elliott on December 09, 2006, 03:02:12 pm
Good point, too bad theyre gonna criticize you now.

Rome

wasn't ozma's whole "second push" thing really them trying to get a larger following and monies and things?
And then they turned down a tour that would've brought 6,000 - 20,000 kids a show?
Brilliant. I hope they reunite and put together another radio-friendly Eponine.

sometimesrock

April 22, 2009, 06:57:11 pm #14 Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 07:01:08 pm by sometimesrock
Quote from: Rome on April 22, 2009, 03:27:11 pm
wasn't ozma's whole "second push" thing really them trying to get a larger following and monies and things?
And then they turned down a tour that would've brought 6,000 - 20,000 kids a show?
Brilliant. I hope they reunite and put together another radio-friendly Eponine.

wat?

Rome

Let me rephrase:
When ozma re-united together, wasn't making money a much larger priority? So why turn down a tour that had 6-20 thousand attendants per show?

I Like Ozma

Let me rephrase it for you...

It was stupid for Ozma to actually do that considering their whole point of reuniting was to try to become a little more mainstream!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote from: Elliott on December 09, 2006, 03:02:12 pm
Good point, too bad theyre gonna criticize you now.

jvstin

the point of them reuniting was to write music together again. because they have awesome band chemistry. and they write great songs.

sometimesrock

Quote from: bobloblawminorthreatjustin^_^ on April 23, 2009, 03:42:02 pm
the point of them reuniting was to write music together again. because they have awesome band chemistry. and they write great songs.

bingo!

hipsun

um..... so apparently ozma declined a tour with weezer.... even though they didn't.... but okay, i give up. they must be crazy.

sometimesrock

Quote from: hipsun on April 23, 2009, 05:45:59 pm
um..... so apparently ozma declined a tour with weezer.... even though they didn't.... but okay, i give up. they must be crazy.

I see where you are coming from.. but I don't know why Karl would lie...

Rome

that doesn't change the fact that money was more important this time around.

ohjonas

Quote from: hipsun on April 21, 2009, 09:58:04 pm
Sorry.  I'm just now "getting into" the Ozma online fanbase (even though i've been listening to them for years) so I'm not really sure who here knows what about Weezer...but it's probably safe to assume you were all Weezer fans at one point?  I co-created weezerpedia.com...if that gives me any kind of credibility.

sometimesrock

Quote from: ohjonas on April 23, 2009, 08:02:30 pm
Quote from: hipsun on April 21, 2009, 09:58:04 pm
Sorry.  I'm just now "getting into" the Ozma online fanbase (even though i've been listening to them for years) so I'm not really sure who here knows what about Weezer...but it's probably safe to assume you were all Weezer fans at one point?  I co-created weezerpedia.com...if that gives me any kind of credibility.

It gives you more credibility then I can describe.

jvstin

Quote from: Rome on April 23, 2009, 07:50:22 pm

money's always an issue if you want to be professional. i'm just saying that it didn't exactly compromise the music. yeah, they rerecorded two songs from their back catalogue in hopes of getting airplay or attention, but pasadena was solid (and generally well received, i think) and showed progression in the songwriting dept.

sometimesrock

Quote from: bobloblawminorthreatjustin^_^ on April 23, 2009, 09:33:18 pm
Quote from: Rome on April 23, 2009, 07:50:22 pm

money's always an issue if you want to be professional. i'm just saying that it didn't exactly compromise the music. yeah, they rerecorded two songs from their back catalogue in hopes of getting airplay or attention, but pasadena was solid (and generally well received, i think) and showed progression in the songwriting dept.

I agree, I was just saying the same thing earlier today.

Rome

Wow. Talk about beating around the fucking bush.

I shouldn't really post in here 'cause I don't know any facts, and the last time I hung out with any of Ozma was in Fall 2007, but if Weezer did approach Ozma for the Fall 2008 tour, and "Ozma" declined I would simply imagine it was too late and they were too tired.

I don't think it's any secret that they had a rough time on the Blue October/Yellow Card tour... I mean, they had to drive themselves around in their veggie van and pay the official tour's soundboard guy out of their own pockets, every night of a show because he didn't want any of Ozma's connections touching his equipment.  I don't intend to divulge "secrets" that were discussed with me on a personal/friendly level, but I think that's fucked up enough to be worth mentioning, especially because Yellow Card and Blue October had their own tour buses and certainly didn't have to pay $100 a night to run their own sound--and even if they did, that was obviously an expense they could afford based on how well the tour sponsors and managers took care of them.
Ultimately, I believe Ozma lost money and energy on that tour, and I imagine the band was just very exhausted from that bullshit.  I wouldn't blame them for turning down a Weezer tour one year later, as from what I gathered, the band members needed a break.  Not to mention Star had to worry about dressing Shiny Toy Guns.

jvstin

Rome