May 02, 2024, 10:53:16 am

News:

When's the last time you said "I love you" to a friend!?

Ozma is reunited

Started by OzmaReunited2005, October 19, 2005, 10:03:22 am

Previous topic - Next topic

malcolm

wait... wheres pat?
do they not like pat?

and is irregardless a band? if so, whats the creation date?
"A little while and I will be gone from among you, when I cannot tell. From nowhere we came, into nowhere we go. What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night. It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime. It is the little shadow which runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset." -- Crowfoot

phatpubah

i just got back from vancouver to recieve the most awesome news ever

:D
CPL593H

Quote from: Sandguy on November 13, 2005, 08:48:47 pm
so is it a pseudonym for 'ozma?' or is it a completely different band with the same people, sans pat?

Well, (returning to the vagueness :P), Irregardless is NOT a pseudonym for Ozma as Dan has described it on the radio show.Ã,  Dan says, and I quote, "...we're just going to do this one show."Ã,  The December show is Irregardless.Ã,  Go if you want to see Irregardless.Ã,  Though some info might have leaked on who the members are, no one has released any "Ozma is reunited" info aside from pure speculation of this trouble-making topic poster.

My "OFFICIAL WORD" post is simply in regards to the December show.Ã,  This is quite exciting news given what has been posted above about what Dan said--Irregardless was definitely, somewhat explained. Ã, But not Ozma. Ã, We shouldn't get ahead of ourselves without more info.

patty

and there i go making stupid cracks about steve's brother's friends while completly ignoring the most important part.

jvstin

Quote from: srm006 on November 13, 2005, 09:17:45 pm
so is it a pseudonym for 'ozma?' or is it a completely different band with the same people, sans pat?

Well, (returning to the vagueness :P), Irregardless is NOT a pseudonym for Ozma as Dan has described it on the radio show.Ã,  Dan says, and I quote, "...we're just going to do this one show."  The December show is Irregardless.Ã,  Go if you want to see Irregardless.Ã,  Though some info might have leaked on who the members are, no one has released any "Ozma is reunited" info aside from pure speculation of this trouble-making topic poster.

My "OFFICIAL WORD" post is simply in regards to the December show.Ã,  This is quite exciting news given what has been posted above about what Dan said--Irregardless was definitely, somewhat explained. Ã, But not Ozma. Ã, We shouldn't get ahead of ourselves without more info.
so it's just going to be one show?

man, i really need to hear the ucla radio interview...
"in the immortal words of Thomas G. Warrior: ughhhhh!!"

NewYorkerNick

Great... I move to NYC from SoCal (for college) in hope that Daniel would perform sometime... then he goes back with the rest of the gang and reunite the band...

Funny quote of the week:
"anyways, if you want to keep arguing about how the mae shi sucks, go for it.  Just know that you are wrong."
-The Other Mike

Zombie Don Ho

Quote from: my hump x 3 on November 13, 2005, 11:04:10 pm
Quote from: srm006 on November 13, 2005, 09:17:45 pm

Well, (returning to the vagueness :P), Irregardless is NOT a pseudonym for Ozma as Dan has described it on the radio show.  Dan says, and I quote, "...we're just going to do this one show."  The December show is Irregardless.  Go if you want to see Irregardless.  Though some info might have leaked on who the members are, no one has released any "Ozma is reunited" info aside from pure speculation of this trouble-making topic poster.

My "OFFICIAL WORD" post is simply in regards to the December show.  This is quite exciting news given what has been posted above about what Dan said--Irregardless was definitely, somewhat explained.  But not Ozma.  We shouldn't get ahead of ourselves without more info.
so it's just going to be one show?

man, i really need to hear the ucla radio interview...

one show, to "have a good jam and see how it goes", is what he says. that, coupled with the fact that he and Ryen are writing again, suggests hope that it won't be just a one-off.

but nothing for certain, i guess.

Nordel

That is kick ass news. Are they going to be covering Ozma songs, I wonder? And where's Pat?

A link to a recording of this interview would be much appreciated.

Jeff42

Quote from: sandbaby on November 14, 2005, 11:37:04 am
That is kick ass news. Are they going to be covering Ozma songs, I wonder?
Daniel said they'd be playing both old Ozma songs and some new stuff.

brad

it's not covering when you play your own songs.

well.... I'd say it's "covering" since it's Irregardless playing an Ozma songs.Ã,  Ã, Jefferson Starship playing a Jefferson Airplane song does not make the Jefferson Airplane song a Starship song--it's covering a song from an earlier state of the band, does that make sense?Ã,  :PÃ,  Considering Irregardless has not been stated to BE Ozma, I would certainly call it a cover.

Another example:Ã,  If the drummer of the Get Up Kids (Ryan Pope) joined the band Koufax (which he did) and Koufax played a Get Up Kids song, would that NOT be a cover 'cause Ryan was actually in TGUK?Ã,  Of course it would be a cover.Ã,  But what if RYAN himself wrote the song for TGUK, and even sang the song for Koufax?Ã,  If you're saying "well, Ryan is just one guy, the drummer, so it's a cover obviously" then I have to bring up the fact that his brother, who was ALSO in TGUK, is in Koufax now.Ã,  So, since there's SUCH a large GUK presence in Koufax, does that mean Koufax (or, Ryan and Rob alone) could actually play GUK songs and have them NOT be "covers?"Ã,  I wouldn't think so.Ã,  Ã, 
Besides, Matt Pryor, the lead of TGUK, who's now doing his band The New Ams, will not play "Get Up Kids"--that's what he calls them--songs.Ã,  He doesn't just say "I won't play my 'own songs.'"Ã,  Yeah, he may have written some of them, but if "The New Ams" (as he is at this point), played a GUK song, it would be a cover, for sure.

No matter how you EVER you look at it:Ã,  Battlescars, Domino Effect, Alternate Dimension, Eponine, Bootymaster, etc (--you get the idea) are OZMA songs.Ã,  If Irregardless plays those songs, they are playing Ozma songs.Ã,  I'd say that's enough to make it a cover.Ã,  If Ozma ever does officially get back together, and actually ARE Ozma, then it won't be playing covers anymore.Ã,  The "new songs" that they plan to play are not Ozma songs, they are Irregardless songs (I assume--unless they are new covers of another band's new songs). ...Ã,  Ã,  ........

Summary:Ã,  I have too much time on my hands, I love The Get Up Kids, and Irregardless will be covering Ozma songs.

brad

November 14, 2005, 01:08:20 pm #101 Last Edit: November 14, 2005, 01:16:13 pm by brad
is ben folds covering ben folds five when he plays some of that stuff solo now?
is weezer not weezer anymore because scott shriner is playing bass, not matt sharp?Ã, 
but they're playing a mixture of new and old songs?Ã,  is this covering the old songs? no.
all you're doing is taking out the drummer, in ozma's case, who is not significant when it comes to their music.

irregardless is a pseudonym for ozma.Ã,  ryen, daniel, jose, and star are all playing, and it's a mixture of new and old songs.Ã,  if you ask me, any time its just ryen and daniel playing together and they are playing ozma songs, it's ozma.

in fact, you people are taking this name irregardless to far.Ã,  i don't think its even a pseudonym.Ã,  if you look on the website it says "irregardless" (in quotations) in place of yes dear, meaning it's irregardless who is playing in place of them.

Cheese

Even if it is just one show it doesn't change the fact that I just came in my pants.

Of COURSE "Ben Folds" is covering "Ben Folds Five" stuff. Ã, I know PLENTY of people of people who don't give a shit about Ben Folds anymore since he's no longer with "the five." Ã, And even though he's covering "BFF" songs, these people won't go see him in concert for that. Ã, I know you're not saying "Ben Folds" and "The Ben Folds Five" are the same deal--so you must agree that Ben Folds is covering songs from a past era of a past band (even though his name is featured in it.) Ã, The band "The Ben Folds Five" is an entirely SEPARATE ENTITY from Ben Folds. Ã, I know that sounds silly, but think about it. Ã, There's a reason they split up--they didn't want to be a band anymore. Ã, And actually, the AREN'T a band anymore.

You're missing the point: Ã, Weezer is of course still Weezer if they want to be called Weezer. Ã, If the members of Ozma reformed, and then gave their instruments to farm animals and claimed that THIS was the new Ozma, then THAT would be Ozma. Ã, Get it? Ã, Bands can certainly go through changes of members and such...

Now, I HOPE you did not just imply that Pat was insignificant in Ozma. Ã, If you're going to say that, I may as well throw out Star, and hell, why not, let's dump Jose too... Honestly, all Ozma needs to be Ozma is Daniel, right? Ã, WELL, if that's what Ozma decides, then YES. Ã, But from what I know, Ozma is not just a Dan Brummel solo show.

If you ask me, any time Ryen and Dan are playing together, it's up to THEM to decide what name they are playing under. Ã, Sure, your Ozma desires are satisfied if they bust out with the old school stuff. Ã, However, are you really going to argue their intentions if they walk onto stage and say, "Thanks for coming out tonight, we are 'SuperBand' and we're gonna be covering some of our old 'Ozma' songs."

A pseudonym is essentially a pen-name. Ã, It's a ficticious name to conceal a real name. Ã, Irregardless is not known to be Ozma right now, so we can certainly get our hopes up, but lets wait for some more info first. Ã, Yes, we know who's involved in the collaboration, but that doesn't make it Ozma. Ã, Let me ask you: If they didn't end up playing ONE Ozma song on December 3rd, would you still swear that it's Ozma?

I must say, it's an interesting thought that it's "irregardless" who is playing in place of Yes Dear--and maybe this was a humourous attempt by the band. Ã, However, I think Dan knows better than this... For the record, "irregardless" is not even a real word. Ã, It's become a word that is sometimes informally accepted, but personally, I'd avoid saying it altogether. Ã, Why? Ã, Well, the double negative. Ã, It doesn't actually mean what it's incorrectly implied to mean. Ã, "Regardless" is the word you're looking for... stick "Ir" in front of it, and theoretically (based on English grammar), it wouldn't quite retain the same meaning, now would it? Ã, I think Dan and the rest of the guys wouldn't make this common, foolish, grammatical error. Ã,  Ã, So, this is all further evidence that when Dan says "Irregardless" will be playing the show, "Irregardless" will be playing the show (given he's being honest).

What if, today, Pat, Jose, Star, Ryen rejoined and started Ozma back up--but instead of Dan, they offered the lead to Freddie Mercury? Ã, ...Well, that'd be pretty weird (on many levels). Ã, I don't know if I'd like that all too much--I don't think it would be very true to Ozma despite 4 of 5 members being the same... Ã, But what if they started and a band called "Floopy," and then covered Ozma songs. Ã, Those would be covers right?

bulb dylan

You guys are comparing apples and ozmanges.

Zombie Don Ho

dylan just beat me to the quip.  >:(

The Other Mike

Ozma has used the pseudonym Irregardless before.  Saying Irregardless is not Ozma is like saying Goat Punishment is not Weezer.
blackjack1084 (11:02:36 PM): eat my ass
blackjack1084 (11:02:38 PM): and get a life

www.myspace.com/therattlesnakes

brad

THANK YOU...... i was just about to post
irregardless : ozma
goat punishment : weezer Ã, 
(although the goat didn't play old stuff, besides hash pipe i think)

and i also think the name is a joke like i previously said.

kitten

it's freakin' ozma.  dan said they're writing new material and looking for a drummer.  you guys are killing me.

icecreamman

This is unbelievable.  I really hope this show can get recorded.

2p

Quote from: Casey L. Carr on November 14, 2005, 01:55:14 pm
Even if it is just one show it doesn't change the fact that I just came in my pants.

ohh godddd.Ã,  me too.

Nordel

They're looking for a new drummer? I sure hope they aren't. I love Pat's playing. He is an excellent drummer, and it wouldn't be quite the same with out him. Have you guys checked out his new band Acute?

As for the whole covers argument. I didn't mean to spark a whole debate about the whole thing. I don't think it really matters. It's a pointless argument. I should have just asked "Are they going to be playing any Ozma songs?"

And don't forget about Jose. It's not just Ryen and Daniel. Jose is a big part of Ozma's songwriting too. Flight of the Bootymechanic. What an excellent song. He also cowrote a lot of my other favorites. Restart, Spending Time, Shybuya (however the hell it's spelled)...

I was just listening to the first song on Spending Time the other day and I discovered that Daniel, Ryen and Jose each sing lead on the section of the song they wrote. Verse - Daniel. Prechorus - Jose. Chorus - Ryen. I thought that was kind of neat. I'm sure most of you already discovered this, though.

Kyosho

Quote from: srm006 on November 14, 2005, 02:02:07 pmWhat if, today, Pat, Jose, Star, Ryen rejoined and started Ozma back up--but instead of Dan, they offered the lead to Freddie Mercury?  ...Well, that'd be pretty weird (on many levels).

A dead man? Undead perhaps?

A zombie in a band! Why didn't I think of that! It's GENIUS!  :D

(no sarcasm intended!)
I'll be rising high above the earth so soon, and the tears I cry might turn into the rain that gently falls upon your window. You'll never know.

kimi kameleen

what ever happened to that band trailgate?

mike

Quote from: NewYorkerNick on November 13, 2005, 11:40:49 pm
Great... I move to NYC from SoCal (for college) in hope that Daniel would perform sometime... then he goes back with the rest of the gang and reunite the band...
hahaha please tell me this is not true.  who are you?!  felicity?!
I'M YELLING AT YOU BECAUSE I DON'T RESPECT YOU!

Guys, I'm certainly just trying not to piss off the band!  I mean, had Dan wanted it to be "Ozma" that is playing on December 3rd, don't you think he would have stressed that on the interview?

I mean, if I know more than I actually do, I wouldn't want to let it slip just so everyone can be totally satisfied!  You have to make careful note of everyone's position.  When I first showed up on these forums, a lot of people weren't pleased with the amount of info that was "slipping."

Besides, read my posts more carefully.  Like I said, "I have too much time on my hands," so you can bet I'm putting a lot of thought into my long posts on the message boards.

drew

this might be the greatest news ever....in the history of man....i hope they keep recording new stuff and tour and junk..they could just drop all that other stuff they were doing..i mean none of it was bad..but this is g-d eff'n ozma!!!christ almighty i'm excited!!
-drew

Quote from: drew on November 14, 2005, 06:31:50 pm
but this is g-d eff'n ozma!!!christ almighty i'm excited!!

haha, what an awesome quote!

RaRPT

This is glorious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1!!11!!!!one!

Hoooo man I'm so excited....