April 29, 2024, 12:26:05 pm

News:

Maxwell T: @AmishJoe wait are you Jason

Proper Ozma Etiquette

Started by default_anon, February 03, 2006, 11:03:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

default_anon

So I've been to a few shows here in Seattle, but nothing like Ozma.  Here, no matter what is going on onstage, people are constantly throwing punches and trying to out-hardcore the guy next to them.  I can only imagine that things are different in different places.  So before I go, I'd like to know what to expect at an Ozma show in LA.

Not Jason

My experience with california shows is that people mostly just stand around looking bored.  Then again, that was San Francisco.

Ozma shows tend to be friendly environments on the east coast, so I'd imagine they'd be similar in LA.
You and I were the extremities
I am the baseball.

phatpubah

no jason, thats pretty much all of california
unless you go to a hardcore show, then people just act stupid and swing their fists.

im debating which is worse modern R&B or hardcore
CPL593H

Bob511

I dunno, Jason is kinda right as far as SF goes; it obviously depends on the act and the resulting demographic of the crowd, but generally (especially as far as Ozma is concerned) LA-area shows tend to be a bit rougher and more mosh-inclined, unfortunately.  Over the five years I've seen them it's definitely gotten better, probably as the fanbase has grown up and cut that shit out more and more, but there's a definite north/south divide there.

Anyway, common sense should tell you this: don't do shit that grossly interferes with other people's ability to enjoy the show.  I don't know what more to say.

Tri$tan

how the hell do you mosh to ozma?

If i'm a proper *WHACK THUD* jeeeeeewwwwish boyyy *groan* will her *thud* family *OW FUCK!* loooovvve meee

i don't get it
Quote from: Golden Laser Sword on May 20, 2010, 05:36:25 am
It is funny how you can get tired of something someone does, and the other person ends up being the sympathetic character. It feels like some shitty Apatow movie.

funwithsponges

phatpubah

Quote from: funwithsponges on February 04, 2006, 12:45:32 pm
Tetris
ya thats the only one really

and im almost positive that a pit will break out at every show they play that song
CPL593H

noonchild

I notice people mosh to rocks at the shows I've seen.
The light cast dark shadows all around me

Not Jason

I am the baseball.

Quote from: Not Jason on February 04, 2006, 04:51:57 pm
You can mosh to ANYTHING.

Well... you can mosh during anything.Ã,  I feel like you'd have a hard time justifying that you're moshing to, for example, "Utsukushii Shibuya."Ã,  Seems like a cheap excuse for having a rage problem.

Kurtzie

Not if you couldn't hammer out what's bent.
Everything will work out as long as you do whatever you want with out worring about the consequences.

Not Jason

Quote from: srm006 on February 04, 2006, 06:14:06 pm

Well... you can mosh during anything.Ã,  I feel like you'd have a hard time justifying that you're moshing to, for example, "Utsukushii Shibuya."Ã,  Seems like a cheap excuse for having a rage problem.

don't get me wrong, i'm not a mosher.  Just an observation.
I am the baseball.

Quote from: Not Jason on February 04, 2006, 11:04:25 pm
Quote from: srm006 on February 04, 2006, 06:14:06 pm

don't get me wrong, i'm not a mosher.Ã,  Just an observation.

Oh don't worry, I didn't think you were.  I just didn't want moshers to get any more credit than they deserve.

Gidgetsucks

I've only been to shows in San Diego (mira mesa) and usually people are really cool.  A lot of head bopping and singing along.  There are some people who try and push themselves to the front, but other than that its really chill.  Of course there are those songs that get the crowd rowdy, but its mostly just swaying and jumping around, I've yet to see any moshing at an Ozma show, except for when I saw them at Warp Tour, but I think it was just a bunch of hardcore kids that just wanted to be punks. 

Potentially Tim

Don't be an Asian guy who stands behind Tim Landry and yells "OZMA DA SHIIITTT!" during fucking Battlescars.

Also, don't be under 21 and ask Tim Landry or any of his friends to buy you a beer.

Also, don't spend an hour telling Tim Landry how close to Dan you are.

Gidgetsucks

Instead ask Carolina G to buy you a beer, then buy her one too!!!  lol, no he makes sense, if your not 21 don't ask others to buy it for you.  And don't stand behind me and yell all the lyrics in my ear, I want to hear the band sing also.

TinTin

Quote from: Gidgetsucks on February 07, 2006, 05:31:52 pm
Instead ask Carolina G to buy you a beer, then buy her one too!!!Ã,  lol, no he makes sense, if your not 21 don't ask others to buy it for you.Ã,  And don't stand behind me and yell all the lyrics in my ear, I want to hear the band sing also.

This reminds me of a funny situation when I saw Ozma at the Bottom of the Hill in SF when they opened for Superdrag...  my friends and I were pretty much the oldest people there.  These two young looking girls come up to me and ask me if I can buy beers for them.  I said, "No, but you should ask my friend over there... the tall guy... he'll probably buy you beer."  They go up to my buddy and ask him and he says, "NO! I will not buy you a beer."  "Why not?" one of the girls asks.  "Because I'm a police officer, that's why!" my friend (who IS a cop) answers.  They pretty much run away scared with me laughing my ass off nearby!

patty

dude.
seriously.
if you want someone to buy you beer, make sure its someone you know already that WILL buy you beer.
not a total stranger.

that kind of shit always annoys the crap out of me.
it even pissed me off when my friends would do it when we were underaged.

if you cant buy it yourself, and you didnt bring someone with you who would agree to get it for you (before hand...cuz springing that on them as the reason they were brought at all is shitty too), then face it, you're not gonna get it.

otherwise, sneak it in yourself if at all possible.

Potentially Tim

Quote from: TinTin on February 07, 2006, 06:23:47 pm
Quote from: Gidgetsucks on February 07, 2006, 05:31:52 pm
Instead ask Carolina G to buy you a beer, then buy her one too!!!Ã,  lol, no he makes sense, if your not 21 don't ask others to buy it for you.Ã,  And don't stand behind me and yell all the lyrics in my ear, I want to hear the band sing also.

This reminds me of a funny situation when I saw Ozma at the Bottom of the Hill in SF when they opened for Superdrag...Ã,  my friends and I were pretty much the oldest people there.Ã,  These two young looking girls come up to me and ask me if I can buy beers for them.Ã,  I said, "No, but you should ask my friend over there... the tall guy... he'll probably buy you beer."Ã,  They go up to my buddy and ask him and he says, "NO! I will not buy you a beer."Ã,  "Why not?" one of the girls asks.Ã,  "Because I'm a police officer, that's why!" my friend (who IS a cop) answers.Ã,  They pretty much run away scared with me laughing my ass off nearby!

Awsome. Superdrag AND Ozma.

Fake Edit: But seriously. That's always been something I swore I'd do--except I'd pretend to be a cop. Which could get me arrested. I'd probably get into a similar situation as the young-looking girls. I'd tell my story to a friend and he'd say "Tell the story where you pretended to be a cop to my friend over there." Then I'd tell the story to his friend and he'd arrest me for impersonating a cop because he'd be real cop.

I'm writing a screenplay based on this.

oatmeal

Quote from: Not Jason on February 03, 2006, 11:13:28 pm
My experience with california shows is that people mostly just stand around looking bored.Ã, 

Thats what it was like when I was saw them at the troubador at Hollywood. I cant really say what the Wiltren people were like beecuase I was sitting but it looked like there were some moshers. Usualy if its an indie band I think the trend is to stand bored looking, its the indie thing to do. I do that pretend that intelegent thoughts are enetering my mind.

Bob511

Thing about the Troubadour show was that Ozma was opening for the Wrens, a band that skews much older than their usual bill.

oatmeal

Yeah, and the wrens are more a stand and stare kind of band. It would be verry likley to see people jumping around and stuff when they with save farris. Like I said depends on the band. California has about every thing so there can be exteme i hate your face violence to where every one there is high, sedated and doing other things.....to a quite sitting concert.

kimi kameleen

I always had lots of fun at Ozma shows.  There was lots of friendly bumping and singing along.  Not like the typical everyone acting bored indie show in San Francisco.  I think the shows down in LA and up in Sac were a little more rowdy though.  And you're not allowed to look happy at the Bottom of the Hill.

Fantastic Max

Every smaller type show I've been to for Ozma has been pretty low key, people boppin their head and screamin the lyrics, which is okay, if they're in key.

But at the Wiltern(their 'supposed' last show) it was a lot bigger and the Ozma fans were jumping up and down, and the theatre was so big no one really noticed. But I don't think that'd work in a smaller venue like the Knitting Factory or the Key Club or something..that'd just be awkward.
"Cross my heart, hope to die, stick a pizza in my mouth."
-Donkey Lips

I like ozma

Bob511

Quote from: ozmacity on February 16, 2006, 09:13:27 pmBut I don't think that'd work in a smaller venue like the Knitting Factory or the Key Club or something..that'd just be awkward.
Key Club show I attended September of '02 was rough enough to jar the minidisc deck I was recording with into oblivion.  I think there may have even been a crowd surfer or two.

Though again, the trend has definitely been for the better since then, which I figure is simply the fans growing up....

default_anon

Are crowd surfers really that big of a rarity? It may be the shows I go to, but up here there's always at least one person crowd surfing... And I always walk away with an assortment of bruises.

I'm seeing Reggie and the Full Effect tonight... Since it's just Reggie, I may be better off than last time (when they played with NFG). Either way, I'm stoked.

kimi kameleen

Quote from: Bob511 on February 17, 2006, 01:10:46 am
Quote from: ozmacity on February 16, 2006, 09:13:27 pmBut I don't think that'd work in a smaller venue like the Knitting Factory or the Key Club or something..that'd just be awkward.
Key Club show I attended September of '02 was rough enough to jar the minidisc deck I was recording with into oblivion.  I think there may have even been a crowd surfer or two.

Though again, the trend has definitely been for the better since then, which I figure is simply the fans growing up....

Heh, I have a picture of someone (ex-boardie sick deer) crowd surfing at that show.  Oh man, what a great show.  And they invited us all to Pat's house afterwards!  And RIVERS was there!

heysarahsarah

Its hard to crowd surf in a show of a hundredish people.

Ozma is not an arena band, for the most part.

Do what you wanna to have fun, but don't bash into other people if they are standing and enjoying things in their own way.  I am a smile big and bop my head/mouth words kinda girl.  I don't like being pushed around.
Bob511i: But SARAH is my <3

No day but today.

ruddiger_718

Quote from: heysarahsarah on February 19, 2006, 07:24:53 pm
Do what you wanna to have fun, but don't bash into other people if they are standing and enjoying things in their own way.Ã,  I am a smile big and bop my head/mouth words kinda girl.Ã,  I don't like being pushed around.

I second that.... well, except that I'm a dude. ;D