May 15, 2024, 10:38:43 pm

News:

Maxwell T: @AmishJoe wait are you Jason

Star's Ethnicity

Started by Fantastic Max, April 07, 2006, 11:38:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Fantastic Max

April 07, 2006, 11:38:37 pm Last Edit: April 07, 2006, 11:49:36 pm by ozmacity
I think this has been discussed on the old forum a long time ago, and maybe there was even a whole thread dedicated to it, but I don't remember it ever being resolved. Because in some pictures she looks mexican, some she looks some sort of asian, some she looks kinda hawaiin, and sometimes she looks more white. It's weird.

Photoshop and boredom =
"Cross my heart, hope to die, stick a pizza in my mouth."
-Donkey Lips

noonchild

Come on dude, everyone knows star died in a crash during the recording of rock and roll part III and the new "Star" is a fake.  Ozma has left various clues within their songs.
The light cast dark shadows all around me

Fantastic Max

Quote from: noonchild on April 07, 2006, 11:42:30 pm
Come on dude, everyone knows star died in a crash during the recording of rock and roll part III and the new "Star" is a fake.Ã,  Ozma has left various clues within their songs.
Oh yeah..must'a forgot.
-Donkey Lips

Not Jason

Quote from: noonchild on April 07, 2006, 11:42:30 pm
Come on dude, everyone knows star died in a crash during the recording of rock and roll part III and the new "Star" is a fake.Ã,  Ozma has left various clues within their songs.

Ever dial those phone numbers from DDD?
You and I were the extremities
I am the baseball.

I like ozma

if you play landing of the yurigagarin backwards it says "turn me on dead woman"

Cade

i think ryen starts to look more like alton brown if anyone.

~IYQ

She's not ethnic she's STARVING

Andy

OK, yeah.
The first few girls on that jpg aren't Star, they were Katherine Kieckhefer, Star's predecessor.
Look at how young they all are in those... Katherine didn't last past RnRp3 (If my date's correct..)

True though, she did change a lot since she joined the band...
Did she end up marrying that guy from Piebald?

heysarahsarah

Katherine does not, to my knowledge, appear in any of the official Ozma recordings.  She is probably on Ocho/Quatro, but even that I am not sure of, and think it might be Dan/Ryen playing the keys. 

Bob511i: But SARAH is my <3

No day but today.

noonchild

Doesn't katherine sing backup in "Just tell me when"?
The light cast dark shadows all around me

Fantastic Max

Quote from: Andy on April 08, 2006, 02:28:54 pm
OK, yeah.
The first few girls on that jpg aren't Star, they were Katherine Kieckhefer, Star's predecessor.
Look at how young they all are in those... Katherine didn't last past RnRp3 (If my date's correct..)

True though, she did change a lot since she joined the band...
Did she end up marrying that guy from Piebald?
Are you sure that's Katherine in a couple'a those?

They all look like her to me..just variations.
-Donkey Lips

Not Jason

Quote from: Andy on April 08, 2006, 02:28:54 pm
OK, yeah.

Yeah, see, that's pretty much wrong.

That is star in all those photos (well, can't be sure about the childhood photo, but the rest, definitely star.) Ã, I recognize all of those photos from when I was initially getting into Ozma (when I was in highschool, so over half a decade ago at this point) and I know for a fact that they are all Star. Ã, Katherine left the band before Songs of Inaudible Trucks and Cars even came out, and she was certainly not on Rock and Roll Part Three.

On the "Inaudible" version of the album, no keyboardist is credited in the liner notes at all. Ã, At least on my version, only Dan, Ryen, Jose, and Pat are credited on the inside flap of the homemade booklet. Ã, On the "Audible" version of the album, there is a picture of Star in the booklet. Ã, It is one of the photos that used to be on the old OzmaOnline website in the photosection, clearly labeled as "Star". Ã, Either version of the CD predates the recording of Rock and Roll Part Three. Ã, Having seen them live in early 2002, I can say with great certainty, that with her hair like that, that's pretty much what she looked like.

I do believe that Katherine does sing backup in Just Tell Me When, though I can't say for certain and I don't know if she played keys on the SOITAC recording of that song. Ã, Logically it's possible that she could have done work on many of the recordings on that album, but I'm in no position to guess which or if that happened at all. Ã, I know Dan or Ryen are capable of tracking keys, and have done so on old Ozma tracks in the past. Ã, I wouldn't even say with any great level of confidence that Katherine even played on the Quatro or Ocho recordings. Ã, On the liner notes to Ocho, she was penciled in under the printed list of band members. Ã, This, to me, seems to indicate that she was added to the band after the liner notes were printed up, and thus, probably after the recordings were made. Ã, Since Quatro preceeded Ocho, I would assume that she wasn't on that either.

Star is capable of changing her appearance drastically with only a minor change in hair style. Ã, This results in her often times looking different in different photos, and from my experience, it even holds true live. Ã, She's looked like a different person each time I've seen her. Ã, The last few times I saw her, she was completely gorgeous, and from recent photos, that seems to be the case now as much as ever.
You and I were the extremities
I am the baseball.

ironbird

all signs point to Japanese.  if you watch the STOTBL CD video she is working out the Japanese words for beautiful shibuya.  Not, this is not to say that she is straight up 100 percent Japanese.  In my honest opinion she's a mutt.  a mix.  a half and half.  what makes up the other half?  your guess is as good as mine.  I'll tell you one thing though, i would like to put a little more American in her!  oh, i'm a dick!  Yeah, i want to hit -10 karma by the end of the week.
If you're reading this then you have no life!  Go ask a girl out or something!ãâ,¬â,¬Ã£â,¬â,¬Ã£ÂÂ¾Ã£Ââ€˜Ã£Ââ€žÃ£ÂÂ¬

kitten

isn't there a thread for this already? 

besides, we already determined she's black.

I'm intrigued by Katherine.Ã,  Does anyone know anything else about her?Ã,  Not in regards to Ozma--just in general?Ã,  A google search of her name in quotes yields some interesting stuff.

For some reason, I'm always fascinated by the people who quit a band before the band "took off."Ã,  To me, I see it as a piece of a band remaining stationary--remaining at one point in time--while the rest of the band progresses and grows.Ã,  I feel like that person becomes the only connection to an original state of a band which no longer exists while the rest of it's members continue with it.Ã,  My favorite example is the original bassist of Queen, who quit the band because he didn't feel it was going anywhere.  Anyway, that's all.  Just wondering about her.

Colt45

I heard that Star is related to squared circle legend Adam Bomb. If Star really is related to this WWF icon, then that would explain a lot.
Senor Beavis! Donde Esta Tu Hall Pass?

heysarahsarah

if I remember correctly, Katherine left for a very mundane reason, like she didn't have time for the band.  Recall that when she was in the band they were mostly still in high school.  We can probably count the number of people on this forum who have seen the band perform with Katherine on one hand and have fingers left over. 

I think more people recall Star's temporary replacement after her accident, Mary Guillems(I think I spelled that wrong, sorry Mary if you are reading this), because she played with the band on warped tour, and a lot of people were introduced to them on that tour. 

No day but today.

nerd reich

I'm really losing sleep over this question

Cade

Quote from: Colt45 on April 09, 2006, 07:39:26 am
I heard that Star is related to squared circle legend Adam Bomb. If Star really is related to this WWF icon, then that would explain a lot.

haha..adam bomb was the shit.  his goggles were insane.

savewhatyouare

Quote from: Cade on April 09, 2006, 01:18:23 pm
Quote from: Colt45 on April 09, 2006, 07:39:26 am

haha..adam bomb was the shit.Ã,  his goggles were insane.

this is a lie right?

i loved wrestling when i was kid. I went to Wrestlemani 9 in Vegas and cried when Bret Hart lost the belt to Yokozuna. Then fucking Hogan comes down and beats Yoko and takes the belt? WTF. Is that even allowed? Fucking bullshit. Bret Hart= Best there is, best there was, best there ever will be.

p.s. Star's hot.

Kyosho

Quote from: <3 Satisfaction <3 on April 09, 2006, 07:11:11 amFor some reason, I'm always fascinated by the people who quit a band before the band "took off."  To me, I see it as a piece of a band remaining stationary--remaining at one point in time--while the rest of the band progresses and grows.  I feel like that person becomes the only connection to an original state of a band which no longer exists while the rest of it's members continue with it.  My favorite example is the original bassist of Queen, who quit the band because he didn't feel it was going anywhere.

Yeah. Me too.  ELO is a really good example of this. You should hear the difference between their first album, "No Answer" in comparison to, well, everything after that. When they first formed ELO, Roy Wood was the frontman. He sang lead and wrote most of the songs (I think). When he left the band to form Wizzard, Jeff Lynne took over and things really changed. All for the better, in my oppinion.

Never heard about Star's accident? Heh. I'll let some one else fill you in on that. I honestly don't know much of anything about it. Just that she wasn't able to play on the tour because of it.
I'll be rising high above the earth so soon, and the tears I cry might turn into the rain that gently falls upon your window. You'll never know.

Fantastic Max

April 09, 2006, 07:04:33 pm #21 Last Edit: April 09, 2006, 07:07:42 pm by ozmacity
Quote from: Kyosho on April 09, 2006, 04:15:23 pm
Never heard about Star's accident? Heh. I'll let some one else fill you in on that. I honestly don't know much of anything about it. Just that she wasn't able to play on the tour because of it.

Didn't she break her arm or something? Some sort of arm injury.
I have a video of some show they did like in Washington or something, and it showed her setlist, and which tones and settings and all, different songs needed that Star used.

Quote from: <3 Satisfaction <3 on April 09, 2006, 07:11:11 am
I'm intrigued by Katherine.Ã,  Does anyone know anything else about her?Ã,  Not in regards to Ozma--just in general?Ã,  A google search of her name in quotes yields some interesting stuff.

For some reason, I'm always fascinated by the people who quit a band before the band "took off."Ã,  To me, I see it as a piece of a band remaining stationary--remaining at one point in time--while the rest of the band progresses and grows.Ã,  I feel like that person becomes the only connection to an original state of a band which no longer exists while the rest of it's members continue with it.Ã,  My favorite example is the original bassist of Queen, who quit the band because he didn't feel it was going anywhere. Anyway, that's all. Just wondering about her.

I feel the same way. There needs to be a bunch more about her, somewhere, ha. Or what she's doin.

Quote from: Not Jason on April 09, 2006, 01:36:15 am
That is star in all those photos (well, can't be sure about the childhood photo, but the rest, definitely star.)

Yeah, Jason, I actually got that "young star" picture a few years ago from the Digevent website..during the show, it had a pictorial slideshow thing, and I saved some'a the pictures. Forgot I had it.
Also had Ryen's Dan's and Jose's baby pictures...haha, funny stuff.
-Donkey Lips

heysarahsarah

If I recall correctly, she had some eye problems as a result of the accident.  It was a few years ago, so details are slightly hazy.

No day but today.

Fantastic Max

call your friends,
send e-mails, go to school topless with "OZMA SHOW MAY 6TH" written on
your chest if you have to, but let's make this tour a rock reality on
late notice!Ã,  more details & ticket info can be found at
www.ozmaonline.com.Ã,  unfortunately, keyboardist star wick will not be
with us for the above dates; she will be temporarily replaced by our
good friend mary guilliams on the casio... but have no fear, star will
be back with us as soon as we start the warped tour on june 18th.

http://www.pairlist.net/pipermail/electronews/2002/000017.html

-Donkey Lips

heysarahsarah

April 09, 2006, 11:33:09 pm #24 Last Edit: April 09, 2006, 11:34:14 pm by heysarahsarah
Course, Star wasn't actually on much of Warped Tour.  An Alkaline Trio member (I forget which off the top of my head) filled in keys when I saw them in 2002 at Warped.

Here's some pics from that show actually:

As you can see to the left, not Star on keys...or Mary either.  The car crash was seperate I think from why she wasn't on the previous tour.  Mary was added part way on the Warped Tour.  These pictures were taken in early July.

No day but today.

funwithsponges

Where did you see them?  I'm assuming you were back home in SD for the summer?  Cuz I saw them in SF and Star was definitely there, so maybe the SD Warped date was before the SF date.

heysarahsarah

Yep, the SD tour date was a while before the SF dates, and I saw them in SD. :)

No day but today.

Tri$tan

Quote from: ozmacity on April 09, 2006, 11:11:34 pm
call your friends,
send e-mails, go to school topless with "OZMA SHOW MAY 6TH" written on
your chest if you have to, but let's make this tour a rock reality on
late notice!  more details & ticket info can be found at
www.ozmaonline.com.  unfortunately, keyboardist star wick will not be
with us for the above dates; she will be temporarily replaced by our
good friend mary guilliams on the casio... but have no fear, star will
be back with us as soon as we start the warped tour on june 18th.

http://www.pairlist.net/pipermail/electronews/2002/000017.html

Quoteour bros in the stellar silverlake band rilo kiley have just finished a
new album (recorded in omaha with mike mogis & conor oberst of bright
eyes/desaparecidos fame)

i'm dumb but oh man. the fact that those bands existed and recorded together before I knew of them blows my mind. This was written in 2002. I was listening to System of a Down and Hammerfall still and I was JUST getting into Ozma..
Quote from: Golden Laser Sword on May 20, 2010, 05:36:25 am
It is funny how you can get tired of something someone does, and the other person ends up being the sympathetic character. It feels like some shitty Apatow movie.

Sandguy

Quote from: ironbird on April 09, 2006, 02:37:56 am
all signs point to Japanese.Ã,  if you watch the STOTBL CD video she is working out the Japanese words for beautiful shibuya.Ã,  Not, this is not to say that she is straight up 100 percent Japanese.Ã,  In my honest opinion she's a mutt.Ã,  a mix.Ã,  a half and half.Ã,  what makes up the other half?Ã,  your guess is as good as mine.Ã,  I'll tell you one thing though, i would like to put a little more American in her!Ã,  oh, i'm a dick!Ã,  Yeah, i want to hit -10 karma by the end of the week.

......korean.

Pandaheart