May 16, 2024, 10:15:01 am

News:

When's the last time you said "I love you" to a friend!?

favorite brummel song

Started by Mikerton, May 18, 2006, 02:58:48 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mikerton

so i just exhausted all of the brummel songs out of the fantastic repository.Ã,  man! he is good. i love view of the sea and summer after senior year.Ã,  would he ever come back to work on those songs or is he going to stick with the folk-type style for his individual stuff? what is everyone's favorite?
"I hope everything works out for you.. if not there are other asians in the sea"

Indoor Fireworks

Most of my friends really enjoy "Of Sound Mind." But I have to agree with you, "View of the Sea" is one of his best songs.
You have balls. I like balls.

savewhatyouare

I have very fond memories with "letters."

Nordel

Yes. Letters. Very clever. View of the Sea is a masterpiece. The Contraband stuff is good too. Accelerated Sunrise. I really love the song Martinelli's. Also very clever.

Not Jason

Daniel Brummel does not seem to be very nostalgic about his old songs.  It seems to be the case that if he's left a song behind, you'll probably never hear him play it again.  Though I do enjoy the contraband era stuff the best, personally.
You and I were the extremities
I am the baseball.

Nordel

I don't mind, though. I can pop in Sound Mind whenever I want and he can't stop me. Those songs are great, but I would rather he keep pushing forward, exploring new territory. So far, pretty much everything he does is worth listening to.

gloom-glaam

savewhatyouare

May 18, 2006, 02:51:12 pm #7 Last Edit: May 18, 2006, 02:59:44 pm by savewhatyouare
[edit] nevermind, figured it out right now.

now does anyone have the lyrics for 'letters?'  ;D

Not Jason

May 18, 2006, 03:00:40 pm #8 Last Edit: May 18, 2006, 03:12:27 pm by Not Jason
well, the chorus should be a no brainer, huh?

Anyway, I wrote this a long time ago, but I think it's probably right.Ã,  give it a shot.

Tuning: 1/2 step down

VERSE

I knew a girl named Alexis, all she wanted was her seventy four minutes of fame...
G          C          B/C    A                       D

PRECHORUS

I don't wanna be her guy, Just thought I'd tell the tale,
E                      B    C                D          G  A
  There's another in my eye, Who smells of gingerale
E                       B        C         D     E

CHORUS

A Minor goes to D, Very nicely, A, B, C, D, Even E,
Am                D               A  B  C  D  G    E
  All these letters belong in a letter which belongs in a letter sized envelope,
            C                   D                         E            F
  Whitch belongs with a mailman who belongs by a mailbox belonging to two story bungalo
                        C                        D                    E         F
  And I'll be longing for you, wondering who you belong to,
              C           D              G         F
  And I'll be longing for you, until my days are through,
              C           D      G       F#      E

E   F# G A   B C D   E F# G

TAB (it's a bit more than just this, but this is the basic jist of it)
eb|-------------------------------------------------|
Bb|-------------------------------------------------|
Gb|---------------------------------------------0---|
Db|-----------------------------0---0-0-0-0-2-4-----|
Ab|-------------0---0-0-0-0-2-3---------------------|
Eb|-0-0-0-0-2-3-----------------------------------3-|

(the second time through go into A instead of G, for the "a minor" part)

THIRD CHORUS

A Minor goes to D, Very nicely, A, B, C, D, E,
Am                D               A  B  C  D  G
  And F all the ones in my way, F all the Things that they do,
      F                    C    F                          C
  F all the people the devious people who keep me away from you,
  F                    C                  D                     D D D C# C# C#
  All these letters belong in a letter which belongs in a letter sized envelope,
            C                   D                         E            F
  Whitch belongs with a mailman who belongs by a mailbox belonging to two story bungalo
                        C                        D                    E         F
  And I'll be longing for you, wondering who you belong to,
              C           D              G         F
  And I'll be longing for you, until my days are through,
              C           D      G       F#      E
eb|-------------------------------------------------3-|
Bb|-------------------------------------------------3-|
Gb|---------------------------------------------0---0-|
Db|-----------------------------0---0-0-0-0-2-4-----0-|
Ab|-------------0---0-0-0-0-2-3---------------------2-|
Eb|-0-0-0-0-2-3-----------------------------------3-3-|
I am the baseball.

Mikerton

do you guys have any more brummel/contraband tabs?  i can't find them anywhere online
"I hope everything works out for you.. if not there are other asians in the sea"

audiotohear

10:04 PM...
because I'm a 'Back To the Future' fan as well.

Nordel

savewhatyouare

nice. thanks for the tab. made it a lot clearer for me.

now i just need to decipher all the lyrics so i can woo women.

Seb

"Summer After Senior Year", "Bear The Load", "Antfarm" (I've put that one on mixes for people who hate Ozma/Brummel, and they all love that one song), but especially "View of the Sea".
"Just tell me one thing - is this business, or is it personal? Because if it's business, then I'll go away happily. But if it's personal? I'll go away. But I won't be happy."

gloom-glaam

antfarm would be on the low of the list  for me

but im glad somebody mentioned Summer After Senior Year

tis not mike other

Quote from: Seb on May 19, 2006, 05:22:40 am
"Summer After Senior Year", "Bear The Load", "Antfarm" (I've put that one on mixes for people who hate Ozma/Brummel, and they all love that one song), but especially "View of the Sea".
I feel the same way thoes are my favorit Daniel Brummel songs... except for ant farm. Its not bad buts its just more of a comedy song so I cant get into it as much as one that I can relate to better.

Kyosho

I know this is going to sound weird, but when it comes to Sound Mind-era Brummel, my favorite is "melodicollage".

And I don't care what any of you say, AntFarm is awesome.
I'll be rising high above the earth so soon, and the tears I cry might turn into the rain that gently falls upon your window. You'll never know.

Mikerton

ok i just decided that i would love whoever can come up with a tab for view of the sea.

hmm didn't mention much of the speak easy stuff.. i like coo coo bird.

Not Jason

Quote from: Kyosho on May 20, 2006, 08:27:15 pm
I know this is going to sound weird, but when it comes to Sound Mind-era Brummel, my favorite is "melodicollage".

That's actually my favorite to listen to.  I wish I could hear some of those songs more developed.
I am the baseball.

Nordel

I really like the part with the song that goes, "when we wake in the morning, we can dress eachother up." That could have been a great song if he had finished it. Great melody.

tis not mike other

Quote from: Kyosho on May 20, 2006, 08:27:15 pm

And I don't care what any of you say, AntFarm is awesome.
hey antfarm is awesome

Seb

Quote from: Not Jason on May 21, 2006, 12:50:20 pm
I wish I could hear some of those songs more developed.

Same here. I particularly like the "We're gonna go out on the town, throw some money around" bit. I also like that you can hear the ICQ "uh-oh!" noise at various points while he's recording.

But much as I'd like to hear some of Melodicollage developed, that's nothing compared to how much I'd like to hear I've Got Your Melody Under My Fingers as a full song... *sigh*

Quote from: oatmeal on May 19, 2006, 10:12:57 pmexcept for ant farm. Its not bad buts its just more of a comedy song so I cant get into it as much as one that I can relate to better.

Quote from: oatmeal on May 21, 2006, 10:15:06 pm
hey antfarm is awesome

Hmmm... anyway, Antfarm is fantastic. The building bit at the end, adding a new bit of information about each place, is terrific.
"Just tell me one thing - is this business, or is it personal? Because if it's business, then I'll go away happily. But if it's personal? I'll go away. But I won't be happy."

The Other Mike

This is probably pretty off topic (since we're talking brummel solo), but I'm listening to monstro right now and I think it's my favorite DB project (including ozma).
blackjack1084 (11:02:36 PM): eat my ass
blackjack1084 (11:02:38 PM): and get a life

www.myspace.com/therattlesnakes

Kyosho

I too wish for completed songs of the pieces in melodicollage. There is greatness there.

Quote from: The Other Mike on May 22, 2006, 12:38:21 pm
This is probably pretty off topic (since we're talking brummel solo), but I'm listening to monstro right now and I think it's my favorite DB project (including ozma).

I'm not a huge fan of the Ocean Floor demos. I mean, I like them well enough,  but I love love LOVE the live bootlegs. Monstro was/is awesome live.
I'll be rising high above the earth so soon, and the tears I cry might turn into the rain that gently falls upon your window. You'll never know.

Not Jason

Quote from: Kyosho on May 24, 2006, 10:14:21 am
I too wish for completed songs of the pieces in melodicollage. There is greatness there.

Quote from: The Other Mike on May 22, 2006, 12:38:21 pm

I'm not a huge fan of the Ocean Floor demos. I mean, I like them well enough,Ã,  but I love love LOVE the live bootlegs. Monstro was/is awesome live.

my sad suspicion is that "was" is the more accurate word choice.  Though I do hope I'm wrong.  I'm in agreement with mike though (jerk, jerk), I really dig Monstro, probably moreso than Ozma.
I am the baseball.

heysarahsarah

I dunno...in some ways I think Mr. Brown is my favorite DB solo...I loved his solo album.

Monstro is Samuel.  I feel lucky to have seen them twice :)
Bob511i: But SARAH is my <3

No day but today.

angie

hands down view of the sea.

but close in following most of the rest of sound mind. lots of monstro stuff and i dig language of the birds.

unfilmstill

sao paulo.
it's Samuel. that song just makes me want to dance and be seductive.
i can't say i'm a huge fan of the monstro stuff, but that's probably because i haven't listened to it much.
his solo folky stuff, however--Samuel!

gloom-glaam

geektheindierocker

Hmm, I don't have this "melodicollage" song, can someone help me out? I didn't see it in the file repository...

As far as Brummel songs, I like "Summer After Senior Year" the most, and if Monstro stuff is elgible I like "Swept Away."

Is "Marcha Funebre" a cover? If so, does anyone know the original artist/definitive recording?

Thanks