News:

If you can read this, Samuel is still a ph@gg0t

Eponine released as a radio single

Started by DougieZero, May 07, 2007, 10:14:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

DougieZero

May 07, 2007, 10:14:23 pm Last Edit: May 07, 2007, 10:29:25 pm by DougieZero
according to FMQB (scroll down): http://www.fmqb.com/Article.asp?id=16770

Anyone heard it on any hip radio stations yet?... I haven't seen any promo singles hit Ebay yet.

P.S. - new Smashing Pumpkin single "Tarantula" is listed for 5.21.  :D
"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members."

Джесси

Quote from: DougieZero on May 07, 2007, 10:14:23 pm

Anyone heard it on any hip radio stations yet?

As much as I love Ozma, I don't think I could make myself listen to those "hip" stations to try to hear them  :-\

I can't wait until May 15th so I can listen to them when I want, without all that radio nonesense  ;D
ТолÃ'Å'ко гÃ'â,¬Ã'Ð´Ã'Æ'Ã'‰ÐµÐµ - облаÃ'Ã'‚Ã'Å' поÃ'Ã'‚а.

SteveLikesOzma

Hmm..not a bad single choice I guess, but i think No One Needs To Know or Heartache would have been better.

funwithsponges

Quote from: SteveLikesOzma on May 08, 2007, 03:55:22 am
Hmm..not a bad single choice I guess, but i think No One Needs To Know or Heartache would have been better.

I thought it was generally agreed upon that the main reason they re-did it in the first place was for radio?  Take out the wank, cut a couple 4 measure phrases here and there, get it to a 2:30 radio friendly song.

DougieZero

May 08, 2007, 01:39:29 pm #4 Last Edit: May 08, 2007, 01:42:56 pm by DougieZero
Quote from: funwithsponges on May 08, 2007, 05:42:58 am
Quote from: SteveLikesOzma on May 08, 2007, 03:55:22 am

I thought it was generally agreed upon that the main reason they re-did it in the first place was for radio?  Take out the wank, cut a couple 4 measure phrases here and there, get it to a 2:30 radio friendly song.

This is the big push to cash in somewhat, I think they want to be more than a cult band in California. They are way more talented than some of the bands they have toured with, yet those bands have found some moderate mainstream success. A lot of them tour Europe, which Ozma has yet to do.

I think I saw a Hello Goodbye photo shoot in Rolling Stone magazine last month, I mean... Ozma have been around a lot longer than those guys.

They had momentum built from the Weezer tours and then signed with Kung Fu.  :-\

That Fuji Festival (that was it right?) must of been awesome though, it looked like the Woodstock of Japan. I remember hearing something about the band partying with Gwen Stefani.

dflat

How long a band has been around means nothing....bands like Ween have been around for over a decade and have yet to have "mainstream success" or have an ad in Rolling Stone.  Getting an ad in Rolling Stone is based on how much your record company wants to dish out and pay Rolling Stone for getting the ad in there.  It has nothing to do with success or who Rolling Stone wants in there.  I don't think re-doing Eponine was worth it just as a good single.  I believe it was the producer's request, and I think it was a mistake.

DougieZero

May 08, 2007, 03:41:56 pm #6 Last Edit: May 08, 2007, 03:48:26 pm by DougieZero
I don't follow music much and even I know who Ween is. I also remember even seeing them perform live on MTV back in the day. Plus they do get their albums reviewed by Rolling Stone magazine.

It's just that I don't understand how wieners like Fall Out Boys can do a catchy chorus about dancing and be set for life. I think Brummel can write those in his sleep. I think a band should be rewarded for their hard work... Ozma has been a band that has been at the edge of breaking big.

The Argyle Rebellion

I don't know... I'm on the fence as to whether I want to see them hit the jackpot...

I'd love to see them get their due; they're more talented than most of the bands that they have toured with (hell, even Weezer in my opinion) and they deserve every bit of success they get, unlike these assclowns in Fall Out Boy that wear eyeliner and cry about how their girlfriend left them.

Yet, I've listened to Ozma since 2002... not from the beginning, mind you, but when I first listened to them, they were this band from Pasadena that when you mentioned them, people didn't know.  It was like a secret that no one else knew in this town, and to an extent, it still is.  If the secret were out, the people that jumped the wagon would say that they're huge fans and not realize that once, there was people like us who followed the band from it's early releases, and that worries me.

That said, best of luck to Ozma... either way, I'll still listen to this band for the forseeable future.

bulb dylan

Quote from: dflat on May 08, 2007, 02:44:27 pm
How long a band has been around means nothing....bands like Ween have been around for over a decade and have yet to have "mainstream success" or have an ad in Rolling Stone.  Getting an ad in Rolling Stone is based on how much your record company wants to dish out and pay Rolling Stone for getting the ad in there.  It has nothing to do with success or who Rolling Stone wants in there.  I don't think re-doing Eponine was worth it just as a good single.  I believe it was the producer's request, and I think it was a mistake.

Ween has had most of their releases on Elektra- major label. /full disclosure

Seb

I've seen posters advertising hellogoodbye's latest single HERE IN THE UK.

I actually thought "Nah, that must be another band with the same name - that can't be the tiny power pop band WHO ACTUALLY WROTE A SONG ABOUT STAR OUT OF OZMA, which paraphrased lyrics FROM AN OZMA SONG, now being much bigger than Ozma, can it?"

It still rankles with me that they have never, EVER played a single show ANYWHERE in Europe. How hard would it be to get them on a Nada Surf tour, eh? Frankly, if their getting a bit bigger makes something like that happen, then I'm all for it.

Also, they should totally get hold of the Eponine fan video, re-cut it to fit the new edit, and make it the official vid...
"Just tell me one thing - is this business, or is it personal? Because if it's business, then I'll go away happily. But if it's personal? I'll go away. But I won't be happy."

DougieZero

I remember seeing Ozma doing a split tour with Rilo Kiley at that this tiny dump where they shot the 8 Mile movie here in Detroit... by 2005 they were opening for Coldplay.  :o

Ozma is going to be the MySpace featured artist, which is going to be huge.  You'll see their fanbase double or triple just because of that.

amish

Quote from: DougieZero on May 09, 2007, 02:53:33 am
I remember seeing Ozma doing a split tour with Rilo Kiley at that this tiny dump where they shot the 8 Mile movie here in Detroit... by 2005 they were opening for Coldplay.  :o

Ozma is going to be the MySpace featured artist, which is going to be huge.  You'll see their temporary fanbase double or triple just because of that.

Kyosho

Quote from: Seb on May 09, 2007, 12:59:43 amI actually thought "Nah, that must be another band with the same name - that can't be the tiny power pop band WHO ACTUALLY WROTE A SONG ABOUT STAR OUT OF OZMA, which paraphrased lyrics FROM AN OZMA SONG, now being much bigger than Ozma, can it?"

I'm sorry, I don't want to derail this thread, but I've never really listened to Hellogoodbye. Could you tell me what song(s) you're referring to so I could track them down? I'd be very interested to hear it/them.
I'll be rising high above the earth so soon, and the tears I cry might turn into the rain that gently falls upon your window. You'll never know.

hipsun

Quote from: dflat on May 08, 2007, 02:44:27 pm
  don't think re-doing Eponine was worth it just as a good single.  I believe it was the producer's request, and I think it was a mistake.

it was a management request, not a producer request.

Seb

Quote from: Kyosho on May 09, 2007, 07:44:56 am
Quote from: Seb on May 09, 2007, 12:59:43 amI actually thought "Nah, that must be another band with the same name - that can't be the tiny power pop band WHO ACTUALLY WROTE A SONG ABOUT STAR OUT OF OZMA, which paraphrased lyrics FROM AN OZMA SONG, now being much bigger than Ozma, can it?"

I'm sorry, I don't want to derail this thread, but I've never really listened to Hellogoodbye. Could you tell me what song(s) you're referring to so I could track them down? I'd be very interested to hear it/them.

It's called "I Saw It On Your Keyboard". I've no idea if it's easy to get hold of or not, since I think it long predates them becoming in any way famous, and I don't know anything about them beyond that one song, so I don't even know if they've re-recorded/re-released it at all...
"Just tell me one thing - is this business, or is it personal? Because if it's business, then I'll go away happily. But if it's personal? I'll go away. But I won't be happy."

Kyosho

Thanks, found it. Apparently it's on their (only) album "Zombies! Aliens! Vampires! Dinosaurs!" which came out last year.

Thus ends the derailment of this thread.

Back on topic.. Eponine as a single is an interesting prospect. I mean, I knew that's what they intended with putting it on the album, but, never really gave it much thought. Here's hoping it actually gets some radio play outside of Cali. I personally will call some local radio stations and see if any of them even have the track, and could play it. But I doubt they do. Yet. Though I'm hoping showing some interest in hearing it will cause them to track it down.
I'll be rising high above the earth so soon, and the tears I cry might turn into the rain that gently falls upon your window. You'll never know.

tom

Tri$tan

Ozma is going to be the MySpace featured artist, which is going to be huge.  You'll see their fanbase double or triple just because of that.

how did you find out this little chestnut?
Quote from: Golden Laser Sword on May 20, 2010, 05:36:25 am
It is funny how you can get tired of something someone does, and the other person ends up being the sympathetic character. It feels like some shitty Apatow movie.

icecreamman

One of their bulletins or blogs on myspace, I believe.

tom

Quote from: Tristan on May 09, 2007, 11:03:07 am

Yeah, their newest blog on Myspace.
I don't know what happened to that chick who was supposed to be promoting the new album etc., but she's slacking.

ireadcomics

I am an XM subscriber and Ozma is certainly the type of band some of the rock stations would play.

L

Quote from: tom on May 09, 2007, 11:12:06 am
Quote from: Tristan on May 09, 2007, 11:03:07 am

Yeah, their newest blog on Myspace.
I don't know what happened to that chick who was supposed to be promoting the new album etc., but she's slacking.

'The chick' has been busy with other assignments. Not slacking!

tom

Quote from: ireadcomics on May 12, 2007, 03:57:34 pm
I am an XM subscriber and Ozma is certainly the type of band some of the rock stations would play.

Yeah, me too. It'd be awesome if they did a session on XMU or something.

And also, L, I was just kidding. <3

Rome

Quote from: The Argyle Rebellion on May 08, 2007, 11:03:33 pm
I don't know... I'm on the fence as to whether I want to see them hit the jackpot...

Yet, I've listened to Ozma since 2002... not from the beginning, mind you, but when I first listened to them, they were this band from Pasadena that when you mentioned them, people didn't know.  It was like a secret that no one else knew in this town, and to an extent, it still is. 

i think I'd be close to the mark in saying that most of us older ozma fans would love for them to "hit the jackpot".

Quote from: Rome on May 13, 2007, 08:28:30 pm

Yet, I've listened to Ozma since 2002... not from the beginning, mind you, but when I first listened to them, they were this band from Pasadena that when you mentioned them, people didn't know.  It was like a secret that no one else knew in this town, and to an extent, it still is.

i think I'd be close to the mark in saying that most of us older ozma fans would love for them to "hit the jackpot".

I agree.  Then they could pay me.  But in all seriousness, I think Ozma definitely deserves it.  I mean, Weezer hit it big, and OZMA always owned the shit out of them.

The Argyle Rebellion

I'll take an old reference from a Foo Fighters message board here:

"Daniel Brummel and Ryen Slegr could eat alphabet soup and s*** out better lyrics than Rivers Cuomo."

Rome

rivers isn't exactly known for writing good lyrics, now is he?

and my comment had/has nothing to do with weezer.

cesarsalad

Quote from: Tim/Rodney/Zach/Andrew/Rome on May 13, 2007, 08:38:52 pm

I agree.  Then they could pay me.  But in all seriousness, I think Ozma definitely deserves it.  I mean, Weezer hit it big, and OZMA always owned the shit out of them.

yep, ozma has always owned songs like susanne, the world has turned and left me here, the good life, falling for you, across the sea, you gave your love to me softly, i just threw out the love of my dreams, mykel and carli, jaime, buddy holly, holiday, only in dreams, tired of sex, say it ain't so, devotion, waiting on you, no one else, pink triangle, and why bother.

Rome

you could've summed it up with "blue, pinkerton, and the B-sides from that era".

I don't understand why this thread had to go towards weezer. Ozma doesn't even sound like weezer anymore. they havn't for a wHile.

Quote from: cesarsalad on May 13, 2007, 11:30:44 pm
Quote from: Tim/Rodney/Zach/Andrew/Rome on May 13, 2007, 08:38:52 pm

yep, ozma has always owned songs like susanne, the world has turned and left me here, the good life, falling for you, across the sea, you gave your love to me softly, i just threw out the love of my dreams, mykel and carli, jaime, buddy holly, holiday, only in dreams, tired of sex, say it ain't so, devotion, waiting on you, no one else, pink triangle, and why bother.

lol.  Yeah, and they owned those songs with:  In Search of 1988, Lorraine Flight of the Bootymaster, Restart, Iceland, Battlescars, Wake Up, Shootingstars, Immigration Song, Los Angeles, Baseball, Natalie Portman, Game Over, Spending Time, Incarnation Blues, Utsukushii Shibuya, Eponine, If My Amp Had Wheels, Utsukushii Shibuya, If I Only Had A Heart, No One Needs To Know, Continental Drift and Korobeiniki.

Yeah, see, it works both ways. ;)  I would much prefer Ozma to Weezer any day.  When I first heard Weezer, I wasn't really digging them.  But I loved Ozma from the start.  It's just personal taste.  I didn't mean to offend you by comparing them to Weezer, and I'll try again...  (but just for the record, I love many of the Weezer songs you listed--meaning, as Rome said, Pinkerton & Blue--but I really don't think that list proves anything and I still think OZMA owns them)

So here, my second attempt:

I mean, My Chemical Romance hit it big, and OZMA always owned the shit out of them.