April 16, 2024, 01:42:44 am

News:

If you can read this, Samuel is still a ph@gg0t

Anyone Else Unbelievably Disappointed?

Started by Tideplaya, May 15, 2007, 10:11:26 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Tideplaya

I knew that the official OZMA fan page would have way more positive reactions, but am I the only diehard OZMA fan who really dislikes this album?

Aside from three songs (the new Eponine, HvH, and Incarnation Blues) this album is pretty much a disaster.  Where are the melodies?  The harmonies?  The hooks?  The emotion?  Hell, where is the pop? 

This is like some downbeat faux-alt-rock album and it doesn't sound anything like OZMA.  The majority of this album is not good and I can't remember ever being this disappointed in a new release (not the worst album ever, just the most disappointing for me personally, mostly because of how much I love the band).

Anyone else feel this way? 

(Also, please don't reply if you are going to say I am not a real OZMA fan and if I were I'd like anything they put out.  If you think that you are a moron.)

CT-700

Well its not going to sound like a RRP3 when that was them 8 years ago. They've grown up to be better musicians. I think there's plenty of classic elements, and especially this emotion you speak of.

tom

You're entitled to you're opinion, but like I've told others who jump the gun on this album, give it a few listens before you judge.

cesarsalad

i was disappointed on very first listen, as anyone always is when something is different. the album is great.

noonchild

If all ceasers are jackasses, and all salads are assholes, and all ceasers are salads and ceasersalds always have assholes then would the following statement: "All ceasersalads are always jackasses all of the time" be true or false?
The light cast dark shadows all around me

Quote from: tom on May 15, 2007, 10:46:10 am
You're entitled to you're opinion, but like I've told others who jump the gun on this album, give it a few listens before you judge.

Agree'd.  I ABSOLUTELY second Tom here.  When I first heard it I had the same thoughts-- it wasn't catchy and the melodies seemed "down."  However, even then I told myself that after a few listens I'd probably like it more.  I was absolutely right.  Even on the second play though I found myself liking it A LOT more.  I even LOVE Motorology and Cobra's Theme now when at first time though I was like "jeez, these songs aren't even songs."

The more I listened to it, the more I fe;l in love with little parts of songs, the lyrics, and the "uncommon" (in pop) melodies and song structures.  It really is a great album, and I'm actually surprised by how much I love the new OZMA.  That being said, I do usually skip No One & Eponine.  It's not that I don't like the new versions, but I've been listening to that for YEARS, I'm more interested in the new stuff as it continually grows on me.

Honestly, there's nothing worse than getting a super-catchy but SHALLOW album, listening to it for a week as if it's the best thing ever, and then never listening to it again... then a few months later you're like "Oh man, remember Anberlin's second album?  That was so great for a few days, but I don't even like listening to it anymore."

Brady

I hear ya guys...when I first listened through I was a litte put-off...Lunchbreak was killing me.  After listening to the album a handful of times this past week - the whole shit is golden now, I absolutley love this album.  Lunchbreak is my least favorite track on the album...but I like it alot  :D  Motorology is my favorite track on the abum.

Tideplaya

May 15, 2007, 12:05:49 pm #7 Last Edit: May 15, 2007, 12:25:50 pm by Tideplaya
Hey, great for you guys, but I am not sure I am going to feel the same way.

In my opinion, the worst OZMA song before this album was Bad Dogs.  After all this time, it still hasn't grown on me.  Most of this album sounds like inferior versions of Bad Dogs. 

I like to see change from bands as much as the next person, but I like it to be a logical evolution.  This is just a total departure from everything I love about OZMA.

Fortunately, I still have 4 other OZMA albums to enjoy.

savewhatyouare

this is one the catchiest records i have ever heard...in my life.

Tideplaya

Quote from: savewhatyouare on May 15, 2007, 12:32:11 pm

Wow.  I can't even imagine how few records you have listened to before.  Even the people on here who love the album aren't calling it catchy.

cesarsalad

ozma has taken an awesome direction with this new album. it's more subdued, but it's Samuel.

Tideplaya

Quote from: cesarsalad on May 15, 2007, 12:49:24 pm
ozma has taken an awesome direction with this new album. it's more subdued, but it's Samuel.

Why do you think it is Samuel? 

Colt45

Quote from: Tideplaya on May 15, 2007, 12:54:11 pm
Quote from: cesarsalad on May 15, 2007, 12:49:24 pm

Why do you think it is Samuel? 

it's good, but Samuel? not at all.

i don't dislike it because it's not Spending Time on the Borderline or RRP3, i dislike it because it's a pretty mediocre effort by the band.

It's a good album. Just nothing overly special. 3/5 stars.
Senor Beavis! Donde Esta Tu Hall Pass?

jvstin

Quote from: Tideplaya on May 15, 2007, 10:11:26 am
I knew that the official OZMA fan page would have way more positive reactions, but am I the only diehard OZMA fan who really dislikes this album?

Aside from three songs (the new Eponine, HvH, and Incarnation Blues) this album is pretty much a disaster.  Where are the melodies?  The harmonies?  The hooks?  The emotion?  Hell, where is the pop? 

This is like some downbeat faux-alt-rock album and it doesn't sound anything like OZMA.  The majority of this album is not good and I can't remember ever being this disappointed in a new release (not the worst album ever, just the most disappointing for me personally, mostly because of how much I love the band).

Anyone else feel this way?  
i wholeheartedly disagree.

i'm sorry you can't detect the things you expected in "Pasadena"

Quote from: Tideplaya on May 15, 2007, 12:36:37 pm
Wow.  I can't even imagine how few records you have listened to before.  Even the people on here who love the album aren't calling it catchy.
go fuck yourself.
"in the immortal words of Thomas G. Warrior: ughhhhh!!"

Tideplaya

You stay classy, Bob.

Well made points, too.  Full of logic and reason.

jvstin

Quote from: Tideplaya on May 15, 2007, 01:27:18 pm
You stay classy, Bob.

well, it was a classy way to start things out.

and i wasn't making any points.

Zombie Don Ho

Quote from: Tideplaya on May 15, 2007, 01:27:18 pm
You stay classy, Bob.

the irony here is how wholly innaccurate and poorly constructed your own complaints are...

you don't like the album. we get it.

icecreamman

I guess I don't understand how you call the NEW Eponine extremely catchy, but you don't think a song like Motorology has any sort of melody?

jvstin

tideplaya, your points are too general to be taken seriously.

i apologize for telling you to go fuck yourself. it was pretty uncalled for seeing that you are new and all...

but, patronizing other people with differing opinions from the get go in a thread such as this... it just isn't a very smart move.

Tideplaya

Quote from: icecreamman on May 15, 2007, 01:46:47 pm
I guess I don't understand how you call the NEW Eponine extremely catchy, but you don't think a song like Motorology has any sort of melody?

Things I never said:

1) The new Eponine is extremely catchy.

Things I did say:

1) I really like the new version of Eponine.

For the record, I loathe the new version of No One Needs to Know.

I actually think Incarnation Blues and HvH are very catchy.  Funny, I also said I like those two songs.

icecreamman

Quote from: Tideplaya on May 15, 2007, 10:11:26 am

Then what the hell are you trying to say?

Tideplaya

Quote from: Bob Loblaw on May 15, 2007, 01:48:55 pm
tideplaya, your points are too general to be taken seriously.

i apologize for telling you to go fuck yourself. it was pretty uncalled for seeing that you are new and all...

but, patronizing other people with differing opinions from the get go in a thread such as this... it just isn't a very smart move.

Too general?  I think I have been extremely specific.  I said that the album sounds like a faux-alt-rock record and it lacks the classic OZMA elements that I adore.  Anyone that has read this thread knows exactly how I feel.

Also, I am not "new" I just never moved on from the old board.  I have been an OZMA fan for a very long time.

I appreciate the people that actually thought out their responses in this thread, but I can't imagine the claim that this is an extremely catchy album is legitimate.  If you think that then you must have a different definition of catchy.

I spent a lot of time on this board, and most people that like the album have said it is not that catchy and it is very different from their other stuff.  I have also addressed that, very specifically.

I am not taking it personally that you guys like it, don't take it personally that I don't.

parker

I hate any carnation of Eponine.  It's my least favorite Ozma song ever.  I hated it on STOTBL.

tom

Correct me if I'm wrong, but did they change ANYTHING about No One Needs To Know, other than Dan's vocal style?

I can't deny you you're opinion, but you seem to just be bashing the record for the fact of bashing it, instead of forming any real opinion, Tideplaya.

Catchy songs on this record: Underneath My tree, HvH, Eponine, No One Needs To Know, Incarnation Blues.
Now let me give you my definition of "Catchy"- Songs with hooks that make the song remarkable. Now, I'm not sure if you're confusing "catchy" with "poppy", because those definitely don't mean the same thing to me. While Lunchbreak is poppy, I don't find it catchy. I Wonder is a unique, pseudo folk song, that while it may not be poppy or catchy, it's something different, and is a great song.

Fact of the matter is, music is based solely on one's opinion, and I'll never deny you your opinion, but like I've stated before, give it a couple of listens. I wasn't totally in love with this album the first time I heard it, but now it's easily top 3 of this year so far--to me.

brad

May 15, 2007, 03:33:01 pm #24 Last Edit: May 15, 2007, 04:04:57 pm by brad
Quote from: tom on May 15, 2007, 03:14:16 pm
Correct me if I'm wrong, but did they change ANYTHING about No One Needs To Know, other than Dan's vocal style?

Very wrong.

The musical interludes before the verses were shortened heavily.

There's a new vocal harmony in the first verse done by Star.

There's new guitar and flute in the second verse.

The solo is missing one hammer-on from the other version.

The outro is shortened.

tom

yeah, little stuff I didn't even notice.
I haven't compared them side to side.

Not Jason

I love how you capitalize the entirety of "OZMA" every time you type it.

I still haven't heard the new record.  I'm on a budget right now so I can't quite justify buying it until my next check comes in.  I've heard almost everything on it in some form or another though, and I've been relatively pleased.  Whether or not this album endures as a stand out favorite for me is something that has yet to be proven, but so far, everything I've heard from it has surpassed my expectations (save for possibly the previously released songs, which to be fair didn't exactly suck either).  I look forward to finaly hearing the whole thing.
You and I were the extremities
I am the baseball.

parker

Quote from: Not Jason on May 15, 2007, 04:09:23 pm
I love how you capitalize the entirety of "OZMA" every time you type it.

I still haven't heard the new record.  I'm on a budget right now so I can't quite justify buying it until my next check comes in.  I've heard almost everything on it in some form or another though, and I've been relatively pleased.  Whether or not this album endures as a stand out favorite for me is something that has yet to be proven, but so far, everything I've heard from it has surpassed my expectations (save for possibly the previously released songs, which to be fair didn't exactly suck either).  I look forward to finaly hearing the whole thing.
\
If you had checked the leak thread....

Fantastic Max

May 15, 2007, 05:39:54 pm #28 Last Edit: May 15, 2007, 05:42:00 pm by Fantastic Max
Quote from: Tideplaya on May 15, 2007, 12:05:49 pm
  Most of this album sounds like inferior versions of Bad Dogs. 

Bad Dogs is a good song.

And you said that the people on here who loved the album didn't think it was catchy, who are you referencing? A small minority? I love the album and agree that it is very catchy.

I dunno, this album has hooks in less obvious ways than other albums, it's darker, yes..but very catchy. Some badass moments too, those metal riffs in Straight Flush, the totally badass breakdown and jamming towards the end of Fight the Darkness, the "let's put wallpaper up between our ears" and "i'm waiting for a chance to make it known" parts in Motorology, the chord changes in HvH, the album's soft love ballad, "I Wonder", Dan's intensity on Incarnation Blues, Lunchbreak's pop-sound and cuteness, even Barriers(my least favorite song) finally got to me.
"Cross my heart, hope to die, stick a pizza in my mouth."
-Donkey Lips

savewhatyouare

May 15, 2007, 05:43:43 pm #29 Last Edit: May 15, 2007, 05:46:06 pm by savewhatyouare
Quote from: Tideplaya on May 15, 2007, 12:36:37 pm
Quote from: savewhatyouare on May 15, 2007, 12:32:11 pm

Despite your shallow attempt to start a polemic battle of words, I respect your contrived attempt to make me start a "I LISTEN TO BETTER MUSIC THAN YOU" post. However, I do apologize, since I should have placed that statement in a better context. I meant what in relation to what I usually listen to. Ozma is not really my taste at all...so yes, I would say this is an extremely CATCHY and POPPY record. In fact, every song follows a structure or formula that is considered to be pop, and again, yes...it is very pleasing to the ears. So excuse me for deciding to start an argument based on semantics. I'll be sure to never say that statement again, unless if someone's talking about 'Pet Sounds,' cause I'm sure you consider that to the quintessential definition of catchy.